It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Does the Right Embrace Ignorance as a Virtue?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

originally posted by: FyreByrd

a reply to: FyreByrd

As an ignorant dingus (as some in this thread have portrayed me), I must protest.

I see this often from many.

"If you don't agree with me, then you must be stupid."

There is a massive lack of tolerance, humility, and appreciation for a difference of opinion.

But if it feels better to call people with whom you disagree "ignorant", "stupid", "dingus", etc. . . . then I will (for one) fight for your continued freedom to throw any and every slur at me.

Don't you think it should be called 'out of order' in some fashion. Public (and private in many cases) has devolved in the last 40 years into a shouting match where no one is listening or making sense. Who ever yells the louded wins? That is preschool nonsense. The old neener, neener, neener, you can't make me listen thing just doesn't help anything.

So if I don't agree with you, I'm being childish?

(I'm rubber, you're glue. . . by the way . . . )

No I'm not saying that about you or your behavior (though this response is borderline). I was speaking to public behavior by supposed adults that is no more adult then what you see at a preschool.

Do people have a right to behave this way? Sure. In public? Personally I think public servants should adhere to a higher standard.

And I'm showing my conservative side (wanting to maintain things the way they were) in saying so.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: beezzer

But believe what ever you wish. Cast slurs to whomever you wish.

Wow.
Okay, I know you're really special here and all, but there is - there IS - something to be said for SOME of the progressive agenda. If you choose to close your eyes to it out of belligerence, well, then.....

we'll never, ever find a way to meet in the middle.
Like you haven't "cast slurs" against people?

Please.

Oh good lord!

I've found so many ways to "creatively" insult people and "cast out slurs" that I could teach a class on the subject (if I could only stop eating the chalk).

But I will also be the first to admit that I am wrong quite a lot of the time.

I will also state that I am still learning. And that I can assure you that I will be wrong quite soon, more than likely.

The one thing you will NOT find, is the smug self-assurance that whomever disagrees with me is an idiot!

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

I reached the actual thought behind the opinion piece... unsuprisingly climate change, and started drooling, babbling, and smacking myself in the forehead for actually bothering to read the article.

The arrogance of the climate change cultists, to instantly attack anyone who DARES question the theory, has become a daily thing. One of these days, they'll slip up and attack the wrong person and the majority will finally snap out of their daze and cast these usurpers off their ivory pedestal. Until that time, if a bunch of paid mouthpieces want to consider me "ignorant", I don't suppose that's much of a big whoop. *shrug*

Gravity is a theory. In fact, a number of them.

But you still crash into the ground when you jump off tall building regardless of what the Matrix movies tell us.

Climate change is happening, the why is theoritical. And it's going to continue regardless of who's theory is correct.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   

I don't know how honest you are, but I'm willing to take a chance and speak to you as if you are.

Smug, self-assurance, arrogance is pervasive in all aspects of our society.

We've forgotten how little we actually know.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   

we'll never, ever find a way to meet in the middle.

Not with the attitude you displayed below.........

Hate me all you want. I don't care anymore. There is RIGHT, and there is WRONG.

Deal with it.
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

THe issue is when people think only their way is right and the other way is wrong........

edit on 6/12/2014 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

The one thing you will NOT find, is the smug self-assurance that whomever disagrees with me is an idiot!

Did I say you were an idiot???
No, I did not.

Let's not digress into petty crap. Both sides leave a lot to be desired. I'm a registered Independent. The government sucks. I just want us citizens to be secure. I bought into the system as a pre-teen. I've worked since I was 11. And now I'm SOL.

I bet you didn't look at the article I posted. Or the Archives of people in my generation (I'm a late baby-boomer) who are now suffering thanks to the freaking Republicans.

I've been out of work since 2008, (how ironic!) when I left my under-$25K/yr job so that I could help my mother take care of my 79-year old dad.....
I've been looking since he died in 2010. No one is interested.
NOT EVEN TACO FECKING BELL.

edit on 6/12/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Have a look at my post history if you'd like to know more about my attitude.

Thanks.

I'm out, folks. Have a good night.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   

. . . . The political tactic of willful ignorance and talking over others is largely a rightist tactic. . . .

How can you "talk-over" someone on the internet?

Simply state what you perceive.

Just because someone doesn't agree, doesn't make them "stupid".

(I'd write more, but I just saw something shiny)

I appoligize for not being precise enough, I meant in televised or public (as in "in public with real people") discourse.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Have a look at my post history if you'd like to know more about my attitude.

Thanks.

I'm out, folks. Have a good night.

I have and you display a snarky, abrasive , often overly aggressive attitude.......

Not exactly what one would call conducive to open discussion and finding common ground.

Now youre free to have it, but dont attack other people for simply implying that what you are saying and what you are doing arent the same thing.......

You cant be ugly to people then be mad at them because you cant get along....

you state above "theres a difference between right and wrong deal with it" and then opine that we can never learn to get along...

You dont see that you are displaying the exact characteristics that you complain hinders people from reaching common ground....

..thats irrational behavior
edit on 6/12/2014 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Try "Common Dreams" I actually prefer it, but alternet is better about citing sources.

From the Dalai Lama (I like your signature):

“Where ignorance is our master, there is no possibility of real peace.”
― Dalai Lama XIV

Another for keeping sane on ATS:

When others, out of jealousy
Treat me wrongly with abuse, slander, and scorn,
May I take upon myself the defeat
And offer to others the victory.

The point that is made here is that when others provoke you, perhaps for no reason or unjustly, instead of reacting in a negative way, as a true practitioner of altruism you should be able to be tolerant towards them. You should remain unperturbed by such treatment. In the next verse we learn that not only should we be tolerant of such people, but in fact we should view them as our spiritual teachers. It reads:

When someone whom I have helped,
Or in whom I have placed great hopes,
Mistreats me in extremely hurtful ways,
May I regard him still as my precious teacher.
In Shantideva’s Guide to the Bodhisattva’s Way of Life, there is an extensive discussion of how we can develop this kind of attitude, and how we can actually learn to see those who perpetrate harm on us as objects of spiritual learning. And also, in the third chapter of Chandrakirti’s Entry to the Middle Way, there are profoundly inspiring and effective teachings on the cultivation of patience and tolerance.

www.dalailama.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   

However, not today where we have an abundance of:

The thing is, shameless lying and ignorance works surprisingly well as a debate tactic. It’s hard to argue with someone who not only has signaled that he doesn’t care what the truth is but is downright proud of how little he actually knows. Such a person is not amendable to being educated. Once the pretense of really caring one way or another about what is right and what is wrong has been abandoned, all avenue of discourse is shut down.

This describes perfectly " to a *T* "the Democrat Liberals in the current Administration.

And normal people would question why the ultra-Liberal voting districts at local levels have failed to solve the problems like ultra-Poverty, ultra-Unemployment, ultra-HighCrime, ultra-Failures in the public school systems to name only 4 of dozens.

Traditional ultra-Liberal districts in big cities like New York, Detroit, Chicago, Los Angeles as well as many ultra-Liberal districts in most States etc. etc. seem to be plagued by ultra-Failure of all social systems.

If they can't solve the local problems, how can they solve the national problems ?

Obviously, the Left is the guilty party of "virtuous" ignorance.

edit on Jun-12-2014 by xuenchen because:

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Great post! S&F for you. I think people like us are very outnumbered on this site. I just shake my head at some of the things I see posted on here. Keep up the good work.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   

The true mystery is why any thinking person would align with either Party? Both lie to get elected or to get what they want. Neither is innocent by the wildest imagination.

Laziness I suppose. Too lazy to do research before they vote, but then if you research them, you can't vote for either side. Intelligent people should be able to have opposing views without all the venom, slander and stupidity the political process has become.

Keep us at each others throats with articles like this and they can control us, so they do. People parrot them and mix in their own brand of bigotry and we end up with a useless, non-functional government thanks to both the D's and R's.

Far Right

Far Left

Independent free thinkers

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   
The offended are cracking me up. I don't personally think all right wingers can be described by the article in the OP but a few sprung to mind enough to make me chuckle. Those that love to use the words progressive, leftist, liberal etc like they are dirty words, getting all mad... lmao.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   

I've not the time to comment thoroghly on this article and topic at the moment

then maybe you should have waited until you had sufficient time, to do it right, before starting the thread...

nothing like stirring the pot, and then walking away...

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Ignorance? I would think most if not all people ignorant to some degree. I think ignorance denotes a lack of experiential knowledge of which I am sure none of us can acquire enough of. I think some of you are confusing knowledge with regurgitating dictated facts and theories.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   

it isn't just the right that embraces ignorance as a virtue

They're sure a lot more prolific at it. But yes, both parties suck, and they both keep non-establishment people out of politics for the most part.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

The true mystery is why any thinking person would align with either Party? Both lie to get elected or to get what they want. Neither is innocent by the wildest imagination.

Laziness I suppose. Too lazy to do research before they vote, but then if you research them, you can't vote for either side. Intelligent people should be able to have opposing views without all the venom, slander and stupidity the political process has become.

Keep us at each others throats with articles like this and they can control us, so they do. People parrot them and mix in their own brand of bigotry and we end up with a useless, non-functional government thanks to both the D's and R's.

Far Right

Far Left

Independent free thinkers

I've always liked that term - "Free Thinker".

It's truly difficult to be a Free Thinker and set aside all personal prejudice and conditioning.

It's certainly 'easier' to think how someone else has told you to think, to defer to authority on all matters. I had a friend 'step into christianity' at a point in her life after being agnostic yet spiritual for her life. I don't know her reasons, and she seemed to be happy and thriving in it and obeying her minister and husband for many years. I always think it was just easier for her and I didn't blame her. It is challenging to come to your own conclusions. It did finally fall apart for her and she's much more thoughtful now, maybe not as happy, but true to herself.

It's a kin to the denial of addiction in many ways. Many go to their graves without every acknowleging they have a real problem, so they talk a good game, but in their hearts they KNOW they aren't really addicts, it's the circumstances and people around them that cause the chaos.

Thanks all for your replies. Sincere or not, you are welcome.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 02:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
The offended are cracking me up. I don't personally think all right wingers can be described by the article in the OP but a few sprung to mind enough to make me chuckle. Those that love to use the words progressive, leftist, liberal etc like they are dirty words, getting all mad... lmao.

What do you mean"like dirty words"?They are dirty words!

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

This method of controlling the masses is not by any means new or even creative. We the People are not that hard to control as long as we keep at each others throats and fail to see that the Right / Left argument is a tool to control us.

If we were to all wake up at the same time and start asking what is right and wrong, instead are you a D or R like me, imagine what we could accomplish. We have been conditioned to automatically disagree with the other side to the point its almost impossible to have an intelligent conversation about issues.

A more honest title would have been "Why Does the Right and Left Embrace Ignorance as a Virtue?

We will never all agree on anything, but if we respect each others views and learn to compromise for the benefit of all sides, it could be so much better. Sadly we are human and seemingly incapable of rational thought and behavior when we are all throwing temper tantrums, saying my way or the highway.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join