Why Does the Right Embrace Ignorance as a Virtue?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I've not the time to comment thoroghly on this article and topic at the moment and will when I get back from work; however I did want to post a couple of quotes and a link. I think this is a subject that truly requires attention.

www.alternet.org...

Spouting off about stuff you know nothing about is traditionally considered unwise.

Generally, historically, 'traditionally' would be considered a conservatie position.

However, not today where we have an abundance of:

The thing is, shameless lying and ignorance works surprisingly well as a debate tactic. It’s hard to argue with someone who not only has signaled that he doesn’t care what the truth is but is downright proud of how little he actually knows. Such a person is not amendable to being educated. Once the pretense of really caring one way or another about what is right and what is wrong has been abandoned, all avenue of discourse is shut down.

and finally:

hat’s why the wall of ignorance is such a powerful rhetorical tool. When you have nothing but contempt for the facts, attempts to educate you will only make your pride in your own ignorance grow stronger. The more you try to educate the proudly ignorant, the dumber they get.

Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho, friends, off to work I go. Short day today.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Maybe it has something to do with not eating the apple of knowledge and wisdom. It's a sin y'know.

That's a foundational story for the Christian religion that many many people believe.

Religion --it makes sense as long as you squint and don't think too much.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
So I am Christian (or.....insert whatever you disagree with.....) and ignorantly brainwashed and you are secular (or....insert whatever you agree with...) and educated and know everything you believe is true.

That is scary and so arrogant

I guess I have no value and should be shipped of somewhere unpleasant

or just maybe I dont understand your position.
edit on b2014Thu, 12 Jun 2014 11:16:00 -050063020144am302014-06-12T11:16:00-05:00 by borntowatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
You mean like this:

Seems to work for everyone just like the emotional nonsense.

Rather than these two competing threads why not one asking why the electorate is so gullible and why they never hold politicians accountable for anything ever? Because we all love partisan jackassery!
edit on 12-6-2014 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Humankind has been wrong on many things, all people are fallible. Those who think they are not fallible are the most ignorant of all.

I also don't think to topic of the post is an exclusivity to any one party or group - to assume that in itself is also embracing a sort of ignorance.

Doubt is good, question everything. To take something at face value is foolish as we all know the outcome of studies and observations can be skewed to one's own views.

Example of something once thought as a fact:

Cigarettes were once considered 'healthy' to smoke - print, radio and even some TV advertising would say things like "8 out of 10 doctors prefer Camel cigarettes", then go on to promote all the health benefits of smoking.

With all the 'junk' science out there, with all the dishonesty there is - I don't understand why people take things at face value from those who have proven time and time again they cannot be trusted (politicians) to 'enforce' things via penalties and fines for 'non-compliance'.

Why not just call it what it is? Pollution. Instead of getting the Gov't involved in it in this manner, perhaps we the people who are supposedly running the show, create programs and measures to encourage green energies and more ways to recycle used items in the form of tax breaks and other incentives. Fines and penalties do nothing, those who think that the Gov't running this won't just add 1500 layers of inadequacy, bureaucracy, red tape and inefficiency just to get a simple yes or no answer, may be overly optimistic and/or downright foolish. By doing this in a positive way, it would entice people to find ways to make pollution much less or non-existent. In turn it would create jobs and help the world economy. This way, the 'global warming/climate change' folks get what they ultimately want - less or no pollution and greener energy to use. The 'doubters' also get what they want as well, coming in the form of less pollution more jobs and a stable economy.

Don't know about the rest of you - but the enticement/reward/proverbial carrot sounds a much better route than a militant, iron-fisted, 'you disagree with me so f-you' kind of mentality. Showcasing the positive would in this case, I fully believe be a win, all the way around the world.
edit on 12-6-2014 by BlackboxInquiry because: (no reason given)
edit on 12-6-2014 by BlackboxInquiry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
It amazes me the people that still buy into the right left paradigm. You are doing exactly what the PTB want. They are all the same. Keep the sheeple divided and fighting amongst themselves so they don't organize and take them out. But hey, good luck with your little fight against the GOP.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Let's not promote a fallacy.

The left and the right all have their purveyors of nonsense. The lefty gun grabber is no more sensible than the right wing homophobe, and the Conservative dingus who believes that healthcare is a privilege rather than a right, is no more of a total moron than the Democrat who believes that the NSA are doing a good job, in a good way.

Both types of blithering halfwit exist, and both are a problem. Not either one exclusively, but both.

+8 more 
posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
This thread should have been made in the political mud-pit. It's clearly political trolling since anyone with a passing knowledge of politics knows that it isn't just the right that embraces ignorance as a virtue. There are plenty from the left who spew their own brand of ignorance.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

I wholeheartedly concur with this. There are many facets to each diamond, it's the bad parts that spoil the whole stone.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Star and Flag.

I'm glad I'm not the only member who reads alternet.

I read this article this morning....and it's true.

I also read the one discussing
12 Devastating Testimonials from Americans Who Did Everything Right and Still Fell into Economic Ruin

Beyond the recent headlines suggesting that the worst of America is now being displayed in an explosion of gun violence, there’s a quieter, widespread and equally stark epidemic of downwardly spiraling lives in America.

That epidemic is the slow-motion descent into shame, despair, depression, financial ruin, assaults by predatory lenders, fruitless job retraining and homelessness caused by long-term joblessness. The House Republicans’ refusal to extend unemployment benefits has pushed legions of desperate people even closer to the edge—or over it, into the streets.

The Washington-based Center for Effective Government has been collecting stories of the longterm unemployed for months and has assembled an archive of testimonials to try to push the House to act. Its most striking feature is that too many entries are from people who played by the rules, worked all their lives, and have now found themselves abandoned in this economy.

I am one of those people.
The game is rigged.

Thank you, OP, for bringing this up. I was weary, and decided to avoid another argument. If anyone (ANYONE) is interested in reading the ARCHIVED STORIES, please do so.

edit on 6/12/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: Ayn Rand is IN HELL

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   

I'll discuss it while you're at work (lucky you!)....
Here's another part of the OP article:

for modern Republicans, being downright proud of their ignorance has become a badge of honor, a way to demonstrate loyalty to the right-wing cause while also sticking it to those liberal pinheads who think there’s some kind of value in knowing what they're talking about before offering an opinion.

This mentality, in its modern form, can be traced back to the Bush White House. In 2004, Ron Suskind of the New York Times interviewed an unnamed Bush official who famously pooh-poohed what he believed to be the shortcomings of journalists who insist that the truth matters more than fantasy:

The aide said that guys like me were ''in what we call the reality-based community,'' which he defined as people who ''believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality.'' I nodded and murmured something about enlightenment principles and empiricism. He cut me off. ''That's not the way the world really works anymore,'' he continued. ''We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality."

And...

The thing is, shameless lying and ignorance works surprisingly well as a debate tactic.

It’s hard to argue with someone who not only has signaled that he doesn’t care what the truth is but is downright proud of how little he actually knows.

Such a person is not amenable to being educated.

Once the pretense of really caring one way or another about what is right and what is wrong has been abandoned, all avenue of discourse is shut down.

The way this stupid country is going disgusts me beyond belief. Aside from the fact that I DO NOT want the 2nd amendment to be removed, I am, very much, on the Progressive side.

Hate me all you want. I don't care anymore. There is RIGHT, and there is WRONG.

Deal with it.
edit on 6/12/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs
I feel your anger. I am in the same boat. But do you really think it matters who is in office? Who controls the house or senate?
They all serve the same masters. The banksters and the corporations.
Believe me, I feel your pain. But this blaming the right or left is exactly what TPTB want.
The same arguments can be made from both sides of the aisle.
They are ALL evil and NONE of them are for us, the people.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Well said. It's not about left and right, it's about people who think they know better than the experts, or people who espouse the fashionable kind of intellectual relativism that states that "there's no such thing as facts, only opinions", and that everybody's viewpoint is equally valid. Well, sorry, but some people are flat-out wrong, and they need to be told that they're wrong. Facts are stubborn things.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   

As an ignorant dingus (as some in this thread have portrayed me), I must protest.

I see this often from many.

"If you don't agree with me, then you must be stupid."

There is a massive lack of tolerance, humility, and appreciation for a difference of opinion.

But if it feels better to call people with whom you disagree "ignorant", "stupid", "dingus", etc. . . . then I will (for one) fight for your continued freedom to throw any and every slur at me.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

But do you really think it matters who is in office? Who controls the house or senate?
They all serve the same masters. The banksters and the corporations.
Believe me, I feel your pain. But this blaming the right or left is exactly what TPTB want.
The same arguments can be made from both sides of the aisle.
They are ALL evil and NONE of them are for us, the people.

You're right.
No, it doesn't make any difference, and they do, indeed, serve the same masters.

Anyway, Thanks.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   
"So I left him, thinking to myself as I left that although neither of us really knew anything about what is noble and good, still I was better off. For he knows nothing, and thinks that he knows, while I neither know nor think that I know. And in this I think I have a slight advantage."

-Socrates

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Not one word of that article said "dingus."

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Not one word of that article said "dingus."

No. A poster did. But believe what ever you wish. Cast slurs to whomever you wish.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
The big reason people on both/any side of the aisle embrace ignorance as a virtue is because to be knowledgeable and honest would lead to all people truly understanding what is actually happening, and powers that be from all sides don't want that, because it would expose what they are doing and their purpose. Embracing ignorance hides the truth, and is even a shield against the truth.

To keep people divided and argumentative and not understanding the real and entire truth. This way they can keep operating in the shadows and accomplishing all of their nefarious goals against the common populace while they argue and go nowhere.

Sadly, it is still working for them as proven by the OP's thread title.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Sorry Beez. I used the word dingus in a post further back in the thread.

However, the thrust of the post, was to point out that idiocy does not revolve around any one set of people, with any one set of beliefs on any given topic, but instead, revolves around people allowing themselves to be polarised against one another, rather than working together to solve common problems, something which governments in the developed world, despite the advantages they have to work with, are staggeringly bad at.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join