It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PA mother of seven dies while serving two-day jail term for kids’ truancy violations

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Wow a PA mother of 7 children died in jail while serving a 48 hour sentence because her kids had several truancy charges.

They don't know the cause of death but she died about halfway through her sentence.

Why on earth would she even be in jail for her kids not going to school? Absolutely ridiculous.

Are we really having to do time because our kids skip school? My mom would have been in jail a lot.

She had 7 kids how is putting her in jail supposed to help anyone? Now she is dead

State officials want to know how and why a Pennsylvania woman died while serving a two-day jail term related to her children’s truancy.

Eileen Dinino, a 55-year-old mother of seven, died Saturday at the Berks County Jail in Bern Township, about halfway through the 48-hour sentence she was ordered to serve after her children racked up multiple truancy violations.

A jail staff member found Dinino unresponsive in her bunk while performing blood pressure exams on inmates.

www.rawstory.com...
edit on 12-6-2014 by alienjuggalo because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-6-2014 by alienjuggalo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo
This story is from the county in which I reside.
The mother had fines for her children being truant that she couldn't pay, and agreed to a weekend sentence.
Here is a link to the story in the local news: 69 News
There were 55 truancy violations involved with this woman's children.

Dinino had a total of 55 violations against her for her children missing numerous days of school in both Reading and Muhlenberg Township. Under state law, you can be sentenced to five days in jail for every violation. Read more from WFMZ.com at: www.wfmz.com... Connect with us! Facebook/69WFMZ or @69News

She could have been sentenced to much more time behind bars... 275 days, that's over 9 months.

edit on bu302014-06-12T09:50:32-05:0009America/ChicagoThu, 12 Jun 2014 09:50:32 -05009u14 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Are we really having to do time because our kids skip school? My mom would have been in jail a lot. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

It's the stupidity of the political system in this country. They took away parental rights to parents to discipline their children and gave more rights to the children. Yet they're putting more responsibility onto the backs of parents to keep their children out of trouble. They've done the same thing when they removed the paddle from schools. Disruptive students and out of control kids have no consequences. Yet it's easy to blame teachers for the laziness, and apathetic nature of today's kids. "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink."

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
This story is from the county in which I reside.
The mother had fines for her children being truant that she couldn't pay, and agreed to a weekend sentence.
Here is a link to the story in the local news: 69 News
There were 55 truancy violations involved with this woman's children.

Dinino had a total of 55 violations against her for her children missing numerous days of school in both Reading and Muhlenberg Township. Under state law, you can be sentenced to five days in jail for every violation. Read more from WFMZ.com at: www.wfmz.com... Connect with us! Facebook/69WFMZ or @69News

She could have been sentenced to much more time behind bars... 275 days, that's over 9 months.

IMO we shouldn't even be fining people because their children skip school. I don't care how many times they skip.

I

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
ya dont skip school cause you will end up in jail.... same outcome... just make sure you go to either one please k thnx... the government thanks you!

SMH!!! truancy.... god i wish truancy was one of my daily stresses...

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I can't believe what i am reading....Putting her behind bars wont solve the problem but just fan its' flames. A possible 275 days???? Yeah,(sarcasm) she can really enforce her kids to school that way....and bc they keep racking up their tardiness, it'll go hand in hand with more time added to their mothers sentence.

Ridiculous.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

I would give you 100 stars for this post if I could. Well said, and I don't believe I could add anymore to that. You summed it up perfectly.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I was just thinking about this a bit. I wonder how those children of her seven that were truant... I wonder if they have thought about their mother dying in prison because of their actions?
She may have died at home due to natural causes instead, if that is what caused her death, but it very well may have been the stress of being in prison that brought about her demise. They will have the rest of their lives to think about that one.
edit on b000000302014-06-12T09:58:13-05:0009America/ChicagoThu, 12 Jun 2014 09:58:13 -0500900000014 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   

The woman doesn't deserve to be dead, but she was obviously an unfit mother and had SEVEN kids?

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Gee, I have never beaten or even spanked my 12 year old, and yet... she has only missed 2 days of school in the last 3 years. She probably hasn't missed more than 6 days altogether since she started Kindergarten.

I realize it's harder when you are a working single parent (don't know if this woman worked or not) with a bunch of kids, but if you're gonna have 'em and keep 'em, you're gonna have to make sure they get properly taken care of, including their education. If you can't do that, then maybe someone else needs to be taking care of them.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
The Reading School District had a school that they pay the students minimum wage to attend. They did this to help combat the truancy epidemic.
Truancy laws date back quite a ways, and they fined the parents because many times the children were working a job or working on the parents farm when they should have been in school.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Gee, I have never beaten or even spanked my 12 year old, and yet... she has only missed 2 days of school in the last 3 years. She probably hasn't missed more than 6 days altogether since she started Kindergarten.

I realize it's harder when you are a working single parent (don't know if this woman worked or not) with a bunch of kids, but if you're gonna have 'em and keep 'em, you're gonna have to make sure they get properly taken care of, including their education. If you can't do that, then maybe someone else needs to be taking care of them.

I am a single father and still have two in school, aged 8 and 11. They missed a combined 4 days of school last year... one to attend a funeral the others due to illness.
It may be hard, but a lot of parents in that city simply do not do their job as a parent.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Damn dude we live super close together, im right down 422 west from ya in south lebanon :O

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

I don't agree that all parents are responsible for their children's poor decisions. There are a lot of outside factors that come into play. You would be surprised how much peer pressure influences kids to take drugs and perform poorly in school. A parent's divorce influence kids and causes them to rebel. Neighborhood influences, poverty and poor role models, lack of a father or mother can also play a big role. TV and video games also cause kids to become lazy and in some cases delusional.

I know some really good parents who are having a difficult time with a child who is very defiant. Some families may have 3 or 4 kids where 3 of them our great law abiding kids except for one.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: alienjuggalo
Are we really having to do time because our kids skip school?

Yes we are and yes we should. Minors are the parent's responsibility, period. I think that this should be expanded to include criminal charges for parents of bullies and ESPECIALLY gun owning parents who have their firearms used in school shootings.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Umm... Careful there. We don't the situation of their daily lives, or even if one or two of the kids had issues.

I only had two, and couldn't get one to go when he got older. He had run in's with the law. He had issues. I'm glad the courts didn't make me do his time. He got into trouble, he did the time.
Makes a lot more sense to me.
How do they learn about consequences?

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: LeatherNLace

Yes we are and yes we should. Minors are the parent's responsibility, period. I think that this should be expanded to include criminal charges for parents of bullies and ESPECIALLY gun owning parents who have their firearms used in school shootings.

Agreed, 100%.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Just a guess but I would say you don't have any children?

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: LeatherNLace

Sorry, no way is that fair. There are too many other factors, like children with disorder's, that are completely out of the parents control.

If your doing everything your suppose to as a parent, there are times that things are beyond your control. Mental health issues that the child is born with. So I get punished for that?

Glad I live in an area that doesn't think that way.

The courts would never put in the time to look at these cases individually.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

I have 2 boys 25 and 22 the 25 year old had all kinds of problems with skipping school. we would get calls every other day and was told by the "school cop" I could get fined but it never came to that because he was actually a really nice guy.

I would take him to school watch him walk through the door and even stay a few minutes to make he sure he did not walk back out.

He would just go to one class and leave the rest of the day. Once I have dropped him off and watched him walk through the door he is the schools responsibility.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join