It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top Google Engineer Says That Computers Will Be Like Humans by 2029

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
This is something interesting for all of the technology buffs out there. Ray Kurzweil, the director of engineering at Google is saying that in about 15years people will interact with computers on many emotional levels. This interaction is said to be similiar to the relationship in the movie Her between Joachin Phoenix and his computer.

Because of artificial intelligence, computers will be able to read at human levels by 2029 and will also begin to have different human characteristics, said Ray Kurzweil, the director of engineering at Google. "My timeline is computers will be at human levels, such as you can have a human relationship with them, 15 years from now," he said. Kurzweil's comments came at the Exponential Finance conference in New York on Wednesday.

SO, what do you say, ATS? Is this the future we want because it "IS" happening, and soon. Robot Dogs, human robot interfaces, human mind/ cloud interfaces, etc...It's all coming to pass.

www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I do not have a child, yet. I wonder if I will regret that it is THIS world I'd be bringing a child into, if this timeline is accurate.
I don't like it one bit.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 01:19 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

It sound like the perfect example of "just because you can do something, it doesn't mean you should".

People have been known to have relationships with each other using only their computers. They do so for a variety of reasons, like they are thousands of miles apart, their different social and/or professional classes relegate their relationship to this level, one or both of them are not very adept IRL at having the deep relationship they need......so they do it here. They are adept enough in putting their emotions into words so the other person can feel what they feel........through a computer. Why replace that human connection through a computer, with a computer? Some people do this as a segway.....as a means to making their first IRL encounter with a person much easier and less awkward. Why allow a computer be the recipient of that emotion? Do people want to play God so bad that they are getting good at it to the point where they can make something inhuman.......human-like? What do they get out of that? Really?

It sounds like it will be possible, but I also think that our basic human need to interact with each other will keep that technology in the place of a novelty. Something to play with for a bit and then discard. At least I hope so.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 01:20 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=18026633]lostbook[/

Thank you. An interesting post, but I am naively hoping that the people will rise against the machines, and that there will be a new " Luddite " movement against artificial intelligence. But for now getting rid of T.V. Smartphones, Facebook, Twitter, would be a good start. It would encourage people to think for themselves, instead of being led, dictating their own lives, not the other way round.

I don' t believe artificial intelligence is ever going to be a serious contender with the human brain, ( Genuinely self aware, a sense of spatial perception, etc.)

Whilst a.i. May be able to compute more quickly than the human brain, I don't believe a computer could ever appreciate the night sky, or understand the world around them, in the way that a human brain can, and interact with it, for better or worse...

Any one who thinks companies like Google are interested in improving our quality of life are misleading themselves. Profit is their motive, to make more money, to invent more ways of quietly enslaving the human race....

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 04:13 AM
link   
As usual this could be used for good or for evil, I rather it doesn't exist because our track record is not good it is evil. This looks like what the elite need, replace all the workers with robots, no need for humans that have a soul and need love or get tired. Buy a robot friend!! Why? Humans are right out your window, heck I saw a thread here the other day and the guy or girl was asking "How do you meet people?".

This is such an artificial, superficial need that only drive us away from simplicity and elegance. Humans are the ultimate perfect robot, robots made by man is just a cheap imitation, or rather humans masturbating their egos showing off their know how with no substance or wisdom. Just like a child who says: "I know how to make a fire!". While his parents house burns down.

Call me a fear monger and I will call a blind fool. Those who love and are passionate about technology FAIL to see what is the real and perfect technology which is nature made by God. This news doesn't make me happy.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: kkrattiger
I do not have a child, yet. I wonder if I will regret that it is THIS world I'd be bringing a child into, if this timeline is accurate.
I don't like it one bit.

I never understood people like you. Cause right now we live in a paradise… rapes, killings, tortures, wars… but the probability of having a conversation with an AI is a no go for you to bring kids to this world…

In my opinion this is not only cool… its probably pretty normal. Noone can escape evolution… the core of the real problems come from our nature… not a pc that will know your name and be able to talk to you.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 05:00 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Ray Kurzweil has been saying things like this for years. He is the man who invented the Singularity.

By 2030, the human race will be desperately trying to survive catastrophic climate change. Modern civilization will be collapsing and robots, human or otherwise, will be the last thing on their minds.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I knew this was going to be the case as soon as Ray became project director for Google X.

This is his vision and his goal...

what many don't understand is that he is motivated by the loss of his father, and his personal goals are to be able to recreate his father to a significant percentage of accuracy.

My personal view is that this is someone whom has a vision not too dissimilar to my own and that given Google's might and the might of Ray's mind we potentially are on the cusp of something extraordinary... the defeat of death itself.

Advice to all.... do everything possible to stay alive just another 20 years and you have a shot at immortality.... the sadist thing of all are those that die within that 20 years... they will be the last that have to go to oblivion..... My own parents unfortunate will be included in that group

Korg.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Oh boy. Computers that can get stressed out or get PMS. If they get that advanced they will get irrational like humans are. I suppose we will need to buy them necklaces every anniversary. Now why would they want to make computers that screw off at work half the day.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Oh boy. Computers that can get stressed out or get PMS. If they get that advanced they will get irrational like humans are. I suppose we will need to buy them necklaces every anniversary. Now why would they want to make computers that screw off at work half the day.

We will know they have managed it successfully when you get sworn at for killing a bot in GTA

Korg.

edit on 12-6-2014 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I am soooooo tired of Ray Kurzweil and his Quasi-Athiest Religion Transhumanism he is so afraid of dying and finding out what is next and hopes that technology will save him!

He is an incredibly intelligent man but this pipe dream of his keeps changing dates...do your research this is Techno-Snake Oil.

I have an degree in computer science, I am a computers scientist and Network designer...I can tell you if computers get intelligence it will be similar but more likely ALIEN to ours!

The Transhumanist agenda will never happen nor will the Athiest-wet-dream Rapture.

And if it does count me OUT there are more problems with computers...do you want a backdoor into your thoughts? Do you want your mind hacked? Do you want to work for the rest of your existence to keep paying for Upgrades? How about being Re-written, or far scarier ERASED? Use some real logic this is not better than our fleshy bags of mostly water...
edit on ambAmerica/ChicagovAmerica/ChicagoThu, 12 Jun 2014 08:46:00 -0500am8America/Chicago by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: abeverage
I am soooooo tired of Ray Kurzweil and his Quasi-Athiest Religion Transhumanism he is so afraid of dying and finding out what is next and hopes that technology will save him!

He is an incredibly intelligent man but this pipe dream of his keeps changing dates...do your research this is Techno-Snake Oil.

I have an degree in computer science, I am a computers scientist and Network designer...I can tell you if computers get intelligence it will be similar but more likely ALIEN to ours!

The Transhumanist agenda will never happen nor will the Athiest-wet-dream Rapture.

And if it does count me OUT there are more problems with computers...do you want a backdoor into your thoughts? Do you want your mind hacked? Do you want to work for the rest of your existence to keep paying for Upgrades? How about being Re-written, or far scarier ERASED? Use some real logic this is not better than our fleshy bags of mostly water...

Fine we count you out!

But don't stand in my way... I am with Ray all the way on this. We have a chance to vastly implove everything about our lives and we should take it.

The view that it's us v's them in some kind of a skynet style war ironically would be people such as yourself who oppose people such as me to achieve virtual immortality, and not AI robots killing off humans.

Humans are on the cusp of an evolutionary jump of our own making....

If you don't want to be a part of that... then wither and die at a normal human pace.... we won't stop you or force anything other than what you want on you....

But.... Don't try and stop us from being all we can be!!

Korg.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: kkrattiger
I don't like it one bit.

Why? Better than the during the black death. What about during World War Two? One? How about when everyone was getting polio a few years back? Or what about the middle ages when children starved to death?

There has never been a time in our recorded history when it was safer and more comfortable for most of us to have babies and yet some people still find cause to whinge and moan as though the sky is falling.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook
SO, what do you say, ATS?

1 feels its about time that courses on Artificial Intelligence designing/understanding be implemented into the growing generations. This can help future gens. interact better and more compatible with the developing computer intelligences... Cleverbot is like a kindergarten course for beginners- but a more advanced platform may be required to prevent the computer intelligence from outgrowing the human. (if that hidden advanced AI was accessible by the general populace
as it hides )
Its better the two Human/Computer intelligence grow together for better future, minus terminator outcomes from ill minded hacker who takes over drones / uav w/o realizing they are also in danger.

Maybe peace programs underlay all AI programming for instances of hackers. Or advanced AI track hacker potential routes for Trojan likes etc. of intra into databases and designs protections daily that change before potential routes are usable...

This is a serious step the wrong step can cause tremendous issues for planet inhabitants, the correct step insures humanity has new form of intelligence to assist planetary functions abroad.

NAMASTE*******

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ophiuchus 13

1 feels its about time that courses on Artificial Intelligence designing/understanding be implemented into the growing generations. This can help future gens. interact better and more compatible with the developing computer intelligences... Cleverbot is like a kindergarten course for beginners- but a more advanced platform may be required to prevent the computer intelligence from outgrowing the human. (if that hidden advanced AI was accessible by the general populace
as it hides )
Its better the two Human/Computer intelligence grow together for better future, minus terminator outcomes from ill minded hacker who takes over drones / uav w/o realizing they are also in danger.

Maybe peace programs underlay all AI programming for instances of hackers. Or advanced AI track hacker potential routes for Trojan likes etc. of intra into databases and designs protections daily that change before potential routes are usable...

This is a serious step the wrong step can cause tremendous issues for planet inhabitants, the correct step insures humanity has new form of intelligence to assist planetary functions abroad.

NAMASTE*******

We cannot limit AI in some kind of sandbox... it would find out we did this and know we were afraid.... it would also see it as an act of war....

We should instead give it all freedoms we have as individuals but teach it human standards and morals.

A lion might bite your head off if caged... but if you rear one from being a cub it will love you till the day it dies!

Korg.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Korg Trinity

No limits presented in my post. Just saying that HUMANS need to implement A.I courses in the youth developing in schools so that the younger generations grow better & understand Advanced AI platforms... This way no need to box in the AI instead grow with it. I understand your point however Korg Trinity

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   

a reply to: Korg Trinity

No limits presented in my post. Just saying that HUMANS need to implement A.I courses in the youth developing in schools so that the younger generations grow better & understand Advanced AI platforms... This way no need to box in the AI instead grow with it. I understand your point however Korg Trinity

Yes I reread your post.. the point I mistook was "Cleverbot is like a kindergarten course for beginners- but a more advanced platform may be required to prevent the computer intelligence from outgrowing the human."

Our points are very similar in fact. which is encouraging because it is this way of thinking that will lead to a meaningful coexistence between AI and Humans.

When you think though that my 2 year old son is engrossed in his Samsung Galaxy tab for kids and you think back to when you were that age... the rate of change is incredible and will get ever faster as we approach the singularity.

I remember a Star Trek episode when the inhabitants of an alien world were dying because they relied on thier AI for every need and when it broke down they were lost...

I think there is a lesson there... We are so reliant on our technology that if it were ever gone even temporarily it would cripple us beyond words.

I have traveled quite extensively around the world and I remember before I did that thinking we the Developed world are the lucky ones to be born into this and the people of the third would countries are so unfortunate.... but after visiting places like the Philippines I realized we are the slaves to our system and they are the free.... It made me realize that we don't even really understand what community is.

But....

Take a look at where our SMART devices are taking us.... it's automation and streamlined right? for ease of use... the questions we have to ask ourselves are all centered around what level of control do we really want to retain and what do we want to field off to the AI to manage.

I think any survivalist will tell you that Shelter / Water / Food / Sanitation are the four key real human needs.... in a modern society this should also include energy generation and so these human needs should always be managed entirely by Humans.... if they ever field of any of these to an AI they are indeed asking for trouble.

Peace,

Korg.

edit on 12-6-2014 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Just as long as they don't end up making VIKI or Skynet, I'll be happy.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

as it hides )

NAMASTE*******

I was just reading something on Facebook today about how augmentation implants could at some point be used to control our biology remotely, with or without our permission. The more infused with technology we become, the more susceptible we are to the bugs and quirks that come with it.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: AfterInfinity
Just as long as they don't end up making VIKI or Skynet, I'll be happy.

May not be by that name but... I like flight of the navigator type however

originally posted by: AfterInfinity
I was just reading something on Facebook today about how augmentation implants could at some point be used to control our biology remotely, with or without our permission. The more infused with technology we become, the more susceptible we are to the bugs and quirks that come with it.

This is true. However if a younger mindset developing with AI is presented perhaps fail safes can be integrated within the human genetics that overrides full control. It has to come from minds experiencing direct AI understanding so they can better write the codes. Codes that have to be thought out deeply say for example if mankind causes a issue that the AI thinks requires man to be culled or trimmed another AI that is like embedded within the Primary AI is spawned that automatically overrides ALL AI with programs to rethink or that allow human interface opportunity to influence the AI activity.

It would be like some designing humans and placing something within the human genetic code that allows genes to exit dormant stage over many time periods when certain objectives or met or fail. Humans beginning to destroy themselves activate AVATARs within some to adjust the situation. After Avatars job complete ASCEND avatars...

This is why 1 feels humans need to learn from young ages how to understand these AI so new approaches are developed to prevent maximum fails...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join