It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The liberal machine runs on emotion. But what is the solution?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: BrianFlanders

So what about Iraq, WMDs, and the Iraqi army taking babies out of incubators...all fiction but good getting an emotional response.

All were emotional stories by the far right to get the war drums beating.....

What about it? When all that nonsense was on the news every day, I was on the internet every day arguing with Bush supporters. I spent 8 years of my life protesting Bush and his cohorts. What about it?

Those of us who opposed the actions of the Bush administration had plenty of help. Bush eventually lost his emotional advantage because he wasn't wearing the right colors.
edit on 15-6-2014 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Then why are you trying to demonize 'liberalism' when you are a self-proclaimed libertarian?

I do not what you are trying to get at. This entire thread to me seems like a bunch of straw man arguments against 'the liberal agenda'. However no one has been able to define liberal agenda or even liberal.

The country is becoming increasingly polarized, both sides will fall for straw man arguments.

There are more important issues in the US and world right now. Like C02 reaching 400ppm.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
The anti-gun cities are the MOST dangerous place to live and the areas that are crawling with guns like TX and not as bad.

With the 1987 FL right to carry law that started the nation wide CCW laws, we have seen those states have their murder rate go down... WHY?

Because criminals don't want to get shot, and cops are not required to ride with you everywhere you go...

Criminals carry canceled weapons just as a carpenter carries a hammer.

This chasm created by the pushy left will some day be pushed back.

It won't be pretty!

The tipping point keeps getting closer every day and when the people have had enough they will act.

The left won't have a chance because the right headed folks love their bible and guns!

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.”

thinkexist.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: waltwillis

Places like NYC, New Jersey, South and Central Cali are hopeless. The vast majority in those areas will blindly support any gun control measure.

This is the one and only gun control measure I support are these four:

1. Treat every firearm as if it's loaded.
2. Never point a firearm at anything you are not willing to destroy.
3. Always be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
4. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are on target and ready to fire.

Pretty simple!

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Then why are you trying to demonize 'liberalism' when you are a self-proclaimed libertarian?

Are you kidding? We're not talking about classical liberalism here. We're talking about Obama and his fan club. These people have nothing in common with libertarians and classical liberalism is long gone as far as these people are concerned.

I do not what you are trying to get at. This entire thread to me seems like a bunch of straw man arguments against 'the liberal agenda'. However no one has been able to define liberal agenda or even liberal.

You keep saying that but you don't seem to be reading the responses I've listed several things that are the hallmarks of this agenda and as near as I can tell, you didn't even read it. Why should I keep typing when you just ignore what I've written and keep asking questions I've already answered?

How is pointing out that the issue of "hate speech" is an indisputable hallmark of the liberal agenda a straw man? You will not find anyone who isn't a liberal accusing people of hate speech. What is this about? It's about building a path to censorship and it's working because people get emotional over things like racial slurs and basically any ugly word. This is using emotion to circumvent logic. Get people pissed off over racism and other such things and you can scribble out the First Amendment a little at a time until it's all gone.

Conservatives might be doing this kind of thing to, to a certain extent. But on the left is where it's really working. In the liberal culture is where these ideas are being propagated and nurtured. I am looking at where the most damage is being done. Why do you refuse to acknowledge that?

The country is becoming increasingly polarized, both sides will fall for straw man arguments.

No. It isn't. Once again, American culture is largely sympathetic with liberalism. What is happening is it's becoming increasingly lopsided. People who don't want to do things like ban guns and censor speech are losing a lot of ground and there isn't much they can do about it.
edit on 15-6-2014 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   

I thought they were more logic based and the conservatives were more emotion-based. Especially when it comes to social issues. Gun debate, rape, and abortion. All tend to end up on Fox News where O'Reilly is yelling about something. LOL

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
What a horrible thread.

Conservative = conserving the status quo

Liberal = liberate people

Everything from civil rights, women's rights, fighting against wars, racism, sexism, slavery, child exploitation and fighting for shorter work hours and worker rights WAS FOUGHT FOR BY LIBERALS. All the major revolutions opposing monarchs, dictators and imperialists was done by liberals. Feudalism was ended by liberals, as well as slavery, theocracy, and monarchy. And capitalism will be next. That's what liberalism is; fighting for the 99 percent.

And do not mistake "American liberalism" for "liberalism". The left wingers or democrats in the US are sponsered by the same banks and mega-corporations as the right wingers and Republicans. There is no liberal movement in the US or anywhere in the world with any power at all.

Obama is not liberal.

Democrats are not liberal.

Only 90 years of American brainwashing has dimwits beliving this.

All political parties are right wing, pro capialist, big business parties.

The fact that the US does nothing but pervert words (neo-liberalism, libterarian etc all euphenisms for big business, deregulatory capitalism) only confuses the dimwits further.
edit on 15-6-2014 by EC666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
OK...I must confess that I helped get Joe Biden elected into office for the first time and I was introduced to Nancy Pelosi by her father and brother Tommy back in MD.

Also, I was the poster boy when I stood on the podium with JFK back in 1960.

After JFK was murdered the party took a hard left turn and has never returned to the principles of a democracy.
The party left me but I still believe in social justice and equality for all. Neither party represents those values today.

How do we return to the democratic principles that I knew as a kid?

I am afraid it may take another revolution either at the voting booth or on the streets of America.

Pray that it can be done without the sheading of blood!
edit on 15-6-2014 by waltwillis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   

I agree about the self proclaimed far left fanatics. There is a straw man agenda, call it liberalism or call it what you want. That is degrading to true liberals to put them in the same category.

The first amendment is already censored to an extent. The press is not free. Ask Hastings.....

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: EC666
What a horrible thread.

I'll take that as a compliment.

Everything from civil rights, women's rights, fighting against wars, racism, sexism, slavery, child exploitation and fighting for shorter work hours and worker rights WAS FOUGHT FOR BY LIBERALS. All the major revolutions opposing monarchs, dictators and imperialists was done by liberals. Feudalism was ended by liberals, as well as slavery, theocracy, and monarchy. And capitalism will be next. That's what liberalism is; fighting for the 99 percent.

Thanks for proving my point.

There is no liberal movement in the US or anywhere in the world with any power at all.

Obama is not liberal.

Democrats are not liberal.

Really? Well, I wouldn't spend too much time bickering over what you want to call them. Whatever they are, they are the people who are going to be running the show when they have successfully appealed to emotions until there is nothing left for them to take.

If you feel these people are not liberals, you might want to take that up with them. Or the people who vote for them. Because they have successfully hijacked the liberal vote. You can't tell me the people who vote for things like "universal healthcare" are not liberals. What they actually get is Obamacare. And then they get pissed off at people who protest and claim we're just awful people because we don't want to force people to buy health insurance. I think it's safe to call that extortion. But liberals don't care. Don't argue with them. Obama is their best buddy and they know it.

Instead of wasting your time on my "horrible thread" maybe you could devote a little time to arguing with the people calling themselves liberals all over the internet who vote for people like Obama and Harry Reid and whomever it is.

All political parties are right wing, pro capialist, big business parties.

I don't think I said otherwise. But whatever they are, they're just fine with people calling them liberals as long as it gets them elected.

But I took the liberty of checking a few of your posts and I see you call yourself a communist. Well, I don't like them either. I've got a little thing against things like gulags. Some people might even call my unfortunate mental state something like sluggish schizophrenia. That's what worries me. Communists really know how to run a state with an iron fist. I'll say that. That's what scares most small government advocates. And maybe it's propaganda but it works. It scares the # out of me.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   

I agree about the self proclaimed far left fanatics. There is a straw man agenda, call it liberalism or call it what you want. That is degrading to true liberals to put them in the same category.

The first amendment is already censored to an extent. The press is not free. Ask Hastings.....

You may find this interesting...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: ltheghost

I thought they were more logic based and the conservatives were more emotion-based. Especially when it comes to social issues. Gun debate, rape, and abortion. All tend to end up on Fox News where O'Reilly is yelling about something. LOL

Not everyone who has a problem with the left is watching Fox News. I actually can't remember the last time I watched anything on Fox. But I've probably watched CNN or MSNBC more recently. Just because I'm curious about what they're up to.

And internet liberals don't seem to be all that logical when you try to level with them and explain your position. If you don't completely agree with them, you're an enemy. I can think of about 20-30 liberal posters that I know on other forums who are like this. I have explained to them repeatedly that I am not a conservative and they keep calling me a conservative. Primarily because I believe in economic freedom, I think people should be allowed to say what they want and I don't agree with gun control. That makes someone a conservative.

I think most of us should be able to agree that the big issue in conservatism is religion. That is, they believe religion belongs in government. They don't just believe in religious freedom. They believe in religious government. For example, if conservatives are trying to make a law that aims to censor, you can almost bet it's about their ideas about religious morality.

Libertarians don't tend to go there. I'm all for religious freedom. But don't ban adult movies for everyone just because your religion says they're immoral. That's not religious freedom. That's religious oppression.

I call myself Agnostic. I don't subscribe to any religion. But it leaves a bad taste in my mouth to attack Christians or Catholics or Jews just because you aren't religious. Anyway, I clearly do not fit in with Christian conservatives.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I think that gun control is about "control".

And who is John Galt?

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

There are many ways to compromise and they all involve giving something up. I generally think you're right and I've decided politicians are like lawyers. To keep themselves employed, they hopelessly confuse simple matters, to make us think we need them to sort it all out.

I don't want any lazy Congressman or Senator representing me. I have a finger, I can vote. I can start a petition and introduce legislation myself. Paul Revere doesn't have to carry my hopes and dreams in a letter bag to share with Washington, so they can do whatever they do with voter concerns. I can tell Washington how I feel, and if enough people feel the same way, we do it. We don't confuse the issue.

Think of money saved paying for all their pay, life insurance, vacations, transportation, pensions etc. This money saved would be better spent on schools, feeding the hungry, or rebuilding our infrastructure. They are all a big fat waste of time and money.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Loveaduck

except that a representative republic is what was originally conceived and created by the constitutional republic.

there were representatives of the people of various states who did the work 0of creating the USA.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: spirited75

except that a representative republic is what was originally conceived and created by the constitutional republic.

there were representatives of the people of various states who did the work 0of creating the USA.

Except that I don't think it was really supposed to be the kind of place where the government brainwashed the people with 24/7/365 propaganda and told us what we were supposed to want so that we would beg them to represent us the way they wanted to in the first place. Kind of a stealth dictatorship. People have the illusion they're being represented because they don't realize that their "news" their movies, their music and their literature have all been telling them what they're supposed to think all their lives.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: spirited75

By definition it is a "Democratic Republic", but the Russians call us a Fascist state and equate us with the Nazis.

Now about the solution to the problem of we humans that lead with our head vs. the ones that lead with their heart...
The folks that follow their heart would do well to just "LET GO" of the control factor!
The folks that follow their head would do well to try to connect with others better!
See, that was easy...

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I've not read the 10 + pages of this thread- for that I apologize. I just read the OP, and my reaction is such that I feel moved to write out my feelings in response, whether they are of any benefit to others or not. And I am guessing similar thoughts were probably already voiced by at least a few others earlier, and this is nothing enlightening- so just feel free to skim right past...

Any collective movement that seeks to influence the thoughts and choices of individuals operates upon emotion.
The OP, is doing so.

"Liberal" stand points often stir it up by pointing out victimization of weaker individuals needing protection and rescue from predators.

"Conservative" stand points often do so by painting a world view in which weakness is not a real trait- it is a way some people "trick" others- a trap, feigning - to stimulate others to let their guards down and subsequently be attacked or robbed.

In each case, anger and desire to action is provoked. One type of argument appeals more to people who feel more aware of human frailties- both their own and others'.
The other argument appeals more to people who feel that our only weakness is to acknowledge weakness. If you give it attention, it grows.

Probably any of us can find a place within us in between these two extremes, in which we perceive both of those to be true in different circumstances. But that moderate place is not what any collective movement would want to stir in you- because it is of minimal emotive quality, and maximum independence. That does not influence one to join a group think.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 05:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

Thanks for the thoughtful response. But I should say that the thread was not intended to find common ground. It was intended to inspire people to make suggestions as to how best to defend yourself against this form of propaganda. In an online "debate" for example. When people succeed in drowning you out with this kind of a tactic, the only thing you can do is try to find a counter for it. When people purposely use dirty tricks against you, they usually win unless you can find a way to lessen the effectiveness of their propaganda. And by "win" I mean that they succeed in convincing people they are right. When this happens often enough and propagates widely, it is extremely effective.

new topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join