It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The liberal machine runs on emotion. But what is the solution?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

Dd you mean to reply to me? I don't understand what you're saying.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Its a marketing thing. If you want to market to a conservative you present a guy with muscles and a gun posing as Captain America. If you want to market to a liberal you present a starving African kid where you can see the bones through his ribs. These people are so gullible and they can be played easily. If you want to beef up the campaign make Captain America a Christian and the starving kid a Homosexual.
edit on 2014 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Smaller government.

The bigger the government, the more data must be handled to make decisions. At some point no one can deal with all of the details and guesstimation is the best that can be done.

In a local environment, all that is needed to know are the changes.

Less time and effort to get greater understanding.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

You're seemingly demonizing being a liberal and giving a free pass to conservatives. That's not good. What do conservatives run on? They are just as bad, in case you hadn't noticed and in many cases worse.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I'd humbly add...

Its Ethos, Logos, Pathos, modes of persuasion.
Credibility, logic and emotion.
Which of this three are the most basic and easily manipulated?

Says a lot about a society that when logic and credibility is thrown out the masses listen.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Okay, I think I know where this thread is going. I really do not get your drift, but to think the 'other' side does not use emotion to hammer their talking point or agenda home is a bit naive.

Why does it always have to be a liberal vs conservative mud slinging fest every election?

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

You're seemingly demonizing being a liberal and giving a free pass to conservatives. That's not good. What do conservatives run on? They are just as bad, in case you hadn't noticed and in many cases worse.

Can I ask you how many of my posts in this thread that you read before you posted this response? Meaning, did you read anything beyond the first post? Just curious. I know it's a lot of reading a lot of it is boring and probably rambling but I did try to respond to this criticism.

My initial post was very general and maybe not as specific and clear as it could have been because I did not think I needed to write a novel to make my point. I'm sorry but I get the feeling you didn't read the later posts where I tried to clarify things and elaborate on my position. I took pains to try to point out that I was not necessarily giving conservatives a free pass.

My point was that (at the moment) liberals are getting a free pass because they are producing the most effective propaganda. I did not say much about conservatives to start with because they have never been all that good at using tearjerking tactics to push their agenda. I didn't say they didn't try or that they haven't (at times) succeeded. Just that they are usually not all that successful.

You can go all the way back to the early days of the labor movement and see how successful liberals/progressives/whateveryoucallthem have been with this technique.

The one time I can think of when "conservatives" were very successful with this was right after 9/11. But it didn't really last all that long in the grand scheme of things. Bush was not nearly as smooth an operator as Obama and frankly, Bush was an idiot. Or if he wasn't an idiot, he was a great actor.

Conservatives were out of gas years ago when it comes to finding ways to move the majority. I didn't give them a free pass. But I would ask you this. Right now, who is the most successful at making people cry and then using that weakness to rip the Bill of Rights to shreds? I'll give you a hint. Obama wipes a tear as he talks about the victims (And frankly, I didn't see a tear).

edit on 12-6-2014 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
This thread appears to be one of projection. Conservatives use fear as their main tool.

Anybody alive within the last 15 years would remember the constant fearmongering from the Bush administration and conservative media about Muslims.

Liberals at least attempt to use reason and reality as their guides. Of course this doesn't help against an opposition that uses fear and hate to forward their ideas.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Frith
This thread appears to be one of projection. Conservatives use fear as their main tool.

Anybody alive within the last 15 years would remember the constant fearmongering from the Bush administration and conservative media about Muslims.

Actually, I DO remember that (and said so in the post directly above yours). That was one time (In my memory) when the conservatives actually managed to really cross party lines with the same cheap tactic liberals use all the time (and have been using for decades). And I was not a fan of that at that time. Nor am I a fan of it now. I don't look back upon it fondly. In fact, if you thought it was a dirty trick when the right used it, you should still think it's a dirty trick when the left does it. What's the difference?

Liberals at least attempt to use reason and reality as their guides.

Actually, they just write a better script. But that's to be expected. Who runs Hollywood?

You can take a script that's "based upon a true story" and make it political. It's been done many times.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Brian, get over it.

It's for the children! The children, dammit!

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   

I notice we are broken up as a country almost the same way our brain is broken up in our head and controls balance in our bodies. We have the left brain (spatial, intuitive, creative) and right brain, (logical, rational, mathematical). Brain halves and their differing traits appear to parallel the two major parties ideology.

The good news is we seem to need them both. There is no right or wrong but two ways of looking at the same thing. Now, if we could get these two to compromise as well as they do in our heads.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Loveaduck
Now, if we could get these two to compromise as well as they do in our heads.

When I hear "compromise" a red flag always goes up. It usually means I agree to give up my position and they agree to stop bothering me about it.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders

When I hear "compromise" a red flag always goes up. It usually means I agree to give up my position and they agree to stop bothering me about it.

And when I hear "compromise" I "sigh" because I didn't get everything I wanted but can live with some of what I got.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   
The only emotion I felt reading this OP was laughter.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   

If you are anything other than a liberal (whatever other political ideology moves you) you might have noticed (if you've looked closely) that the fuel that the liberal engine runs on is emotion. Typically fear, anger and sorrow. Whenever they want to energize their base, you can expect some kind of an emotional preface just before the sales pitch. Almost always, this comes in the form of a sad story. There is almost always a villain and a victim. The villain is usually the guy who doesn't want the big government solution they're selling. The victim is almost always the most sympathetic figure you could possibly imagine. But you don't need your imagination for this because you've no doubt seen this pattern repeat itself often enough to know what to expect.

So, that's the easy part (believe it or not). Just noticing a pattern and spelling it out is easy enough when you've been watching liberals for a few decades. Unfortunately, there's a hard part. They didn't choose this tactic as their go to political strategy for nothing. It works! And it works extremely well. They always know that all they really need to do is to present one of these sob stories to a vulnerable audience.

What's the really hard part? Once they get vulnerable people feeling more than they're thinking, it's extremely difficult to argue with them. You cannot simply explain to them the fact that they are the victim of an emotional exploit. That kind of common sense bounces right off of someone who's crying their eyes out over some sad story that caused them to turn their brains off.

So the question is this. Is there any way to get through to these people? Will we ever come up with a strategy that works against this dirty trick?

i completely disagree with your assertion.

conservatives tend to run off of fear much more than liberals. why? because conservatives tend to be more fearful.

“It’s not that conservative people are more fearful, it’s that fearful people are more conservative. People who are scared of novelty, uncertainty, people they don’t know, and things they don’t understand, are more supportive of policies that provide them with a sense of surety and security,” McDermott said. news.brown.edu...

when was the last time a democrat said:
voting for a republican will bring about another 9/11
voting for a equal marriage rights will degrade your marriage and devolve society
we have to take our country back
we have lost our country
immigration reform means allowing more illegals to take your jobs
gun control means taking away your right to have guns
teaching evolution is a direct attack on religion

these are just a few example of republican fear mongering. please show me equal example of democrat fear mongering to support your point.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   

right, because the other side never has any good ideas. this is the problem with todays politics, the all or nothing attitude.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 03:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: stormson

i completely disagree with your assertion.

conservatives tend to run off of fear much more than liberals. why? because conservatives tend to be more fearful.

You're missing the point. Once again. The liberal machine has a much richer supply of fuel than any of their competitors because they have nurtured and cultivated a broad base of highly emotional constituencies. Not just fearful but angry and sad and craving radical social changes.

Yes. Conservatives use the same tactic. Or at least they try. The difference is that when conservatives do it, it only really works with the hardcore conservative base. People who would never vote for a Democrat. And frankly, that demographic is just too small to pose any significant political threat to the liberal majority. And it's getting smaller all the time.

Again, the culture in this country is largely liberal. And you can manipulate anyone if you have the right material. A conservative basically cannot manipulate a liberal with the prospect of lost liberty because liberals tend to be all for lost liberty. Liberals can easily manipulate conservative leaning voters with sad stories about murdered children and similar types of sob stories.

Conservative scare tactics only work with conservative voters and liberals still might be able to steal them if they can make them cry. And they probably can do it with a good number of them. When liberals set out to sabotage and destroy our rights, if they are serious about it, they will eventually get what they want. They always have and they will continue to.

Again, the problem is that it's getting to the point to where liberals are soon going to be able to do anything they want unchallenged. And anyone who is awake can see what they want. They want (for example) to scribble out the First Amendment unless what you have to say goes along with their agenda. They clearly want to get rid of the Second Amendment. They may or may not come right out and say it but when a person tells you that private gun ownership is unnecessary, it's not too hard to figure out what they want to do.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 03:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
The only emotion I felt reading this OP was laughter.

What an amazing rebuttal. Sarcasm. I can't imagine where this is coming from.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Now Now don't get upset and hissy, I assure you, there was no sarcasm.
edit on 13-6-2014 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I think you may find it interesting to hear that Liberals tend to have the exact same view of Conservatives, as appealing only to emotion, whereas the the left uses logic instead. In fact, as a liberal myself, the first time I heard the argument you are making in the OP, I didn't even think it was POSSIBLE for someone on the other side to see things that way!

The other thing is, agree with one of the previous responses that you're assessment of the relative strengths and weaknesses of the two parties seems to be tainted by your allegiance in that realm. (And in fact this is another example of something that people on the other side could see 180 degrees differently!) Have you ever heard a hardcore sports team fanatic talk about their club? To them it always seems like the sky is falling. After a horrible defeat they might say, "We're done! There's no way we're going to win next week's game with our lousy play and many flaws!" even though in reality the hardcore fans of their next opponent could well be saying the same thing. It's like they focus on every little flaw of their own and none of their opponent's. Like how when my team's up a run it feels like we're barely hanging on, but when the other guys are in the same position we've practically lost already!

The above also applies to politics. As a liberal, it feels like EVERYONE hates Obama. The supreme court will be ruled by conservative appointees for the next 40 years. Dem's will always seem weak on defense, and all we need is another stateside terror attack to enshrine another George Bush. And so on and so on. So you may be missing that the other side probably feels more like you do than you think...

And on top of all that, I think the question of what role emotion should play in our decision making and politics, and studying how political messages and advertisements work on our thought processes and psyche and all, plus too many more to mention, are very interesting areas of discussion brought up by your thread, so thanks!

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join