It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The liberal machine runs on emotion. But what is the solution?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 01:33 AM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders
I appreciate your sentiment and frustration.
I do not see a solution without some kind of mass extermination, or natural/man-made disaster that disempowers government's control of humanity... Which, would likewise mean - destruction/annihilation of much of what we call Society, Civilization &/or Culture...and a return to simple survival (of the fittest?).
One group appeals to "The Good Ole Days" - Another appeals to "The Survival of Mankind/Civilization/Progress" - Still others appeal to "Equality for All" (though, their 'equality' applies to everyone but themselves...as - they see themselves as the Enforcer/s).
Anyway... To find a legitimate/working solution to the dilemma...you're going to have to find common ground with those you seek a solution from/with...AND...judging by the disparate & vehement views on this site...all I can say is - Good Luck & Don't Lose Any Sleep Over It. I like to consider your views, and don't want to see you getting so stressed over these conundrums that you lose hope (though my hope is, likewise, entranced by a giant whirlpool).

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 01:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

Well, unless you are a robot, or have a mental problem that doesn't allow emotions,
+ Disgust
+ Fear
+ Happiness
+ Sadness
+ Surprise
This are all part of what make us human, so to say that they are only part of certain individuals or groups in politics and exploited to target such groups is actually silly.

The difference between republicans and democrats is the spelling, they are but both cheeks of the same ass. Some just a little larger than the others, those seeking fame and fortune. Ask yourself one single question how can congress complain about presidential spending when they control the checkbook? It's sadly comical to think there is a two party system of government. What you see on TV is meaningless what happens with pen and ink is what counts the rest is drama.
edit on 12-6-2014 by MarlinGrace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 01:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarlinGrace

The difference between republicans and democrats is the spelling, they are but both cheeks of the same ass.

Unfortunately, this is only true if you know it. The majority in this country clearly believes those calling themselves liberals are the "good guys". So the agenda they are pushing is going to be the one that gets the green light from society most of the time.

The fact of the matter is that even if they are all the same, they have to follow the script in order to keep the masses in the dark. It doesn't do us much good to try and tell people all politicians are the same if they won't believe it. For the time being, we know which side is pushing gun control. The Republicans can't do it because they have to make sure their base doesn't turn on them.

So if the Republicans DO end up agreeing with gun control, it will be made to appear as though it is a "compromise". They didn't actually do it. They tried their best and in the end, accepted a solution that was "reasonable" (which it isn't but it will look that way if it happens).

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders

originally posted by: MarlinGrace

The difference between republicans and democrats is the spelling, they are but both cheeks of the same ass.

Unfortunately, this is only true if you know it. The majority in this country clearly believes those calling themselves liberals are the "good guys". So the agenda they are pushing is going to be the one that gets the green light from society most of the time.

The fact of the matter is that even if they are all the same, they have to follow the script in order to keep the masses in the dark. It doesn't do us much good to try and tell people all politicians are the same if they won't believe it. For the time being, we know which side is pushing gun control. The Republicans can't do it because they have to make sure their base doesn't turn on them.

So if the Republicans DO end up agreeing with gun control, it will be made to appear as though it is a "compromise". They didn't actually do it. They tried their best and in the end, accepted a solution that was "reasonable" (which it isn't but it will look that way if it happens).

True, my problem begins with republicans when you elect them and then they go a different direction as Bush sr. did with "assault weapons" import ban. Regan my favorite POTUS of all time supported the brady bill. Giuliani sued gun manufactures. It's a long list as well as democrats, the real problem is while the democrats are organized and loud about gun control, they have media support. Never mind the fact when things aren't going fast enough they false flag with Fast & Furious. They both seriously suck but the democrats suck the worst.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I am old enough to remember when the term "Liberal" was twisted by the far right as someone weak in character,unpatriotic,unAmerican,indecisive,immoral,irresponsible down right untrustworthy,so much so that people once considered themselves to the left of Reagan began to avoid that term like it was infested with herpes such is the power of labeling and marketing and it worked,beginning with Morton Downey Jr. and continued with Rush Limbaugh and others taking his place, from there right wing talk radio ballooned with a no holds-barred no compromise winner takes all ideology,I remember when they even lambaste folks who liked to weigh things as the " Mushy Middle" they are the ones drowning out conversation on any issue it's either their way or the highway,look at today's politics and tell me that's not true,well Libs have re-branded themselves as progressives..and "gasps" some are not even afraid of being called a Leeebral any more and while the left has it fair share kooks we do not generally give them prominence,not since the 60ts ,but folks on the right courts them.
edit on 12-6-2014 by Spider879 because: just because.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Both parties use the same tactics to increase/retain their power and influence over people. They count on the general cluelessness of the population to distort facts and manipulate situations to benefit themselves and their benefactors. And they use an army of people like the OP to continue the right/left polarization in order to keep us divided and fighting with one another instead of focusing our attention on Them. 'We have met the enemy and he is us.'

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Politicians are vile disgusting human-beings, the sooner we stop taking sides the better.

VOTI

They are all players, it has to be possible to find people who will put the country first, why would anyone vote for these scum bags we have now is beyond me.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Everybody does it because it works well with a non-thinking electorate.

Don't worry about violent crime being at historic lows for all of civilization. Don't worry that you're more likely to be struck my lighting than shot at school. Don't worry that rifles are involved in only 2% of all homicides.

Don't think.

Just DO SOMETHING!!!

It's so sad. Can you feel how sad it is? Can you feel that urge to just act? Don't plan or research or otherwise cloud your mind with reality. Just act!

This is the kind of crap cult leaders use to convince their moron followers to kill themselves.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777
Politicians are vile disgusting human-beings, the sooner we stop taking sides the better.

VOTI

They are all players, it has to be possible to find people who will put the country first, why would anyone vote for these scum bags we have now is beyond me.

My guess is most do not intended to become vile disgusting human-beings, I believe most genuinely wanted to serve and make a difference,but some where some how on that journey the process or the experience turned them.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
THIS is what gives conservatives a bad name...stupidest OP I have ever seen.

Anyway, asking most conservative to understand even a glimpse of liberal thinking is like asking a fish to ride a bicycle.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150
I think Eric Cantor's defeat in his home state primary served notice to both parties... the American people have pretty much had it. I think their constant use of emotional fear is akin to "The Boy That Cried, Wolf!"... and people have become numb to this approach.

Backfire.

Eric Cantor's defeat was because of open voting which allowed democrats to vote in the Republican primary. The democratic strategy was to get a weak candidate in the general election so that the dems have a better chance of winning.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: thisguyrighthere
Everybody does it because it works well with a non-thinking electorate.

Don't worry about violent crime being at historic lows for all of civilization. Don't worry that you're more likely to be struck my lighting than shot at school. Don't worry that rifles are involved in only 2% of all homicides.

Don't think.

Just DO SOMETHING!!!

It's so sad. Can you feel how sad it is? Can you feel that urge to just act? Don't plan or research or otherwise cloud your mind with reality. Just act!

This is the kind of crap cult leaders use to convince their moron followers to kill themselves.

Yes DO SOMETHING! I most likely will not get hit by lightening but I also know not to stand on an open field holding a conductive rod in my hand during a lightening storm,the above looked like one of those Duck N Cover drills our parents or grand parents went through stats are good and well unless you become one.
edit on 12-6-2014 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

Yes DO SOMETHING! I most likely will not get hit by lightening but I also know not to stand on an open field holding a conductive rod in my hand during a lightening storm,the above looked like one of those Duck N Cover drills of our parents or grand parents went through stats are good and well unless you become one.

Case and point. Thank you.

You know those pics are for tornado drills, right?
The product has been around for a while now as a tornado protection device for shrapnel. The maker is just trying to broaden the market.

Same as these folks here:

Parents are sending children to school in stab-proof uniforms to guard against knife crime, it has emerged.
link

Children as young as 10 have also asked for the body armour, some because they are scared for their lives and others as a badge of honour.
link

Australian parents desperate to protect children from attacks by thugs have begun ordering stab-proof tops from a British clothing firm.
link

"When I was growing up you never heard of anyone carrying a knife and if someone was stabbed it was major news.

"But now even in smaller suburbs and towns you hear about it every week and there's no age restrictions."

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

"So the question is this. Is there any way to get through to these people? Will we ever come up with a strategy that works against this dirty trick?"

In my opinion, there may well be two answers to this question. I can certainly relate to your frustration. I've felt the same frustration and long observed the tactics of victimology, if that's a word.

The first answer, the relatively simple one is that no one needs come up with a strategy to counter these types arguments because in the long run, what matters is........what works. The truth is that the reason their strategy has enjoyed so much success is because of the large number of people with whom it resonates, i.e. the large number of people who are genuinely suffering as a result of this present economic malaise. The people who've been laid off, the people who can't find jobs other than those that don't pay a living wage, the people who are broke, have had their homes foreclosed upon and who have health concerns they can't afford to address. The people coming out of college with huge student debt who can't find a job other than to be a barista at Starbucks.

So what do I mean by what matters is......what works? Well, the Big Government solution works like a salve that lessens suffering from the symptoms of the disease but doesn't offer a cure. At some point a majority, (I think) of the people who have been forced to fall back on the Big Government social safety net are going to find the rewards unsatisfactory. They're going to get frustrated and then they'll pick themselves up and start seeking alternative solutions. A friend of mine lost her job 20 years ago; she has three kids. Found herself in subsidized government housing and trying to survive month to month on food stamps while she worked part time flipping burgers. She was very frustrated and by chance found a cache of shoes discarded by someone upon moving out of the apartment complex. She gathered up the shoes and sold them from the trunk of her car at a local street corner one weekend. She took the profits, plowed them into new inventory and kept selling shoes on the weekends. Today she operates three stalls at the local flea market. She's branched out to purses and accessories and nets 100K a year.

The second answer is far more complex and far less satisfactory. In fact the phenomenon I've discussed as a strategy is less a strategy and more a tactic designed to garner support in the form of votes. It works because at one time or another everyone has come to feel they're a victim, or at a minimum knows someone who's been a victim. Its one tactic, call it the social justice tactic, among many tactics employed in the furtherance of the end goal of far greater government control and intrusion into the everyday lives of everyone in the country. In short, its a power grab made on part of those who believe they know far better than the average Joe what's good for him and by those who know they can profit and/or achieve great success as part of the mechanism of control. As such, this tactic and others work up to and until the day comes that average Americans have had enough of government control of their lives while at the same time the inefficiencies and failures of government programs mark a tipping point in frustration with the entire agenda.

So, in summation, there doesn't appear to be any one strategy that can counter these type arguments when made by the change agents working to further the agenda, but rather the success in the pursuit of the agenda will come to work against them. It may well be a waste of time trying to argue with the proponents of this strategy and the better route to go might well be to ask the target audience who've bought into the arguments if they're doing better.

Have a great day!

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: thisguyrighthere

The politics of fear who uses it:
Libs are afraid of guns everywhere.
Cons are afraid of guns nowhere.
Libs are afraid the more guns the more likely someone will use it.
Cons are afraid the less guns the more likely they will be unable to protect themselves.
So here is the impasse how do we come to a common sense middle ground,can that conversation ever take place.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

The politics of fear who uses it:
Cons are afraid of guns nowhere.
Libs are afraid the more guns the more likely someone will use it.
Cons are afraid the less guns the more likely they will be unable to protect themselves.
So here is the impasse how do we come to a common sense middle ground,can that conversation ever take place.

The middle ground was abandoned long ago.

Namely: leave me alone and I'll leave you alone.

That's all the compromise anyone ever needs.

The moment you are no longer leaving me alone (causing harm to my person or property) I cease to leave you alone and the courts would make it right.

That was too easy though. Didnt allow for enough control or extortion. Not enough room for dynasty politicians to rape everyone and everything so we get what we've got today which is basically plutocrats and libertarians fighting for total tyranny or total liberty.

So what we see today is our modern middle ground. A loud pointless mess that ruins the lives of everyone it touches.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Ridiculous. It is the complete opposite.

Just look at the entire Bush presidency. All polices were sold on FEAR of terrorists, including through the constant War on Terror and daily terror color coding on the TV. The Republican and conservative platform constantly plays on low education, low information, and fear of "others" such as foreigners, gays, atheists, Muslims, etc ad infinitum.

Fox News, the mouthpiece of Republicans, is based on nothing but fear mongering, outdated faith based ideas, and manipulation.

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
If you are anything other than a liberal (whatever other political ideology moves you) you might have noticed (if you've looked closely) that the fuel that the liberal engine runs on is emotion. Typically fear, anger and sorrow. Whenever they want to energize their base, you can expect some kind of an emotional preface just before the sales pitch. Almost always, this comes in the form of a sad story. There is almost always a villain and a victim. The villain is usually the guy who doesn't want the big government solution they're selling. The victim is almost always the most sympathetic figure you could possibly imagine. But you don't need your imagination for this because you've no doubt seen this pattern repeat itself often enough to know what to expect.

So, that's the easy part (believe it or not). Just noticing a pattern and spelling it out is easy enough when you've been watching liberals for a few decades. Unfortunately, there's a hard part. They didn't choose this tactic as their go to political strategy for nothing. It works! And it works extremely well. They always know that all they really need to do is to present one of these sob stories to a vulnerable audience.

What's the really hard part? Once they get vulnerable people feeling more than they're thinking, it's extremely difficult to argue with them. You cannot simply explain to them the fact that they are the victim of an emotional exploit. That kind of common sense bounces right off of someone who's crying their eyes out over some sad story that caused them to turn their brains off.

So the question is this. Is there any way to get through to these people? Will we ever come up with a strategy that works against this dirty trick?

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Fascinating inversion of reality you've got there. Complete rubbish, but fascinating fodder for the intellectually impaired ideologues to suck up.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

A gun owner who might lose his rights is not nearly as sympathetic as a little girl who got shot in the face at school by a crazed gunman. You see what I mean? It's very difficult to argue with someone who's hiding behind a real victim. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

You should win a prize for that one.

Yea. Sure it's easier to have empathy for a real victim and not someone who is pretending. whew!

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   

You are seriously deluded. Do some homework about gun ownership demographics sometime.

learn here
edit on 12-6-2014 by InverseLookingGlass because: wasting my time

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join