It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Suspicious device" explodes at Nogales power plant

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   

A makeshift bomb exploded at a Nogales, Arizona power plant Wednesday, rupturing a large fuel tank and prompting the FBI and federal bomb experts to respond.
At 5 p.m. Wednesday agents were still processing the scene.

"The reason for the high-scale response is the plant is an electrical substation and critical to the area," Jimenez said, explaining that as many as 30,000 customers in the area - the entire town of Nogales and its environs - depends on the plant for power.

"The whole city of Nogales could have been compromised," he added.

There were no reports of injuries and authorities said they knew of no suspects or witnesses.

"Suspicious device" explodes at Nogales power plant

Thankfully no one was hurt, but this kind of event is very unsettling. There are stories on the news about immigration, cartels, terrorism on the MSM all the time. But I wonder how many events like this are "smaller" (not hitting the MSM with a bang) so people never hear about them and realize our security is being tested, our perimeter being assessed.
This happened early this morning. I'm in Phoenix and this wasn't even on local news stations until after 5p.m.
Drudge picked it up 15 minutes later.

edit on 6-11-2014 by anniquity because: more info

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Interesting. Nogales, AZ has the most drug tunnels of any U.S. city including the longest one ever found.

From the sounds of it, this would have been much much worse but the fuel didn't ignite.
edit on 2014-6-11 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Why would they give out such info. If the plant is the only power provider for the area then it is now know and can be attacked to provide cover for a border breach. The stuff the media is willing to spurt out is disturbing

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I hadn't heard about that either. Geez!
Thanks for the link.

My first thought was about the immigrant kids they are housing down there in Nogales right now and the travel advisory the US put out for tourists a while back. Lots of issues down here.
I just moved here last month. It's a completely different world in way too many ways.

edit on 6-11-2014 by anniquity because: typos, spelling and grammar...Oh My!

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Why is it that when a middle easterner (or angry white guy, for that matter) blows something up it is labled as terrorism... yet if a Mexican does it, it is called an isolated incident?

Wouldn't want to have to hold the administration's feet to the fire with regards to immigration enforcement, I guess...

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   
It's a power plant, I imagine there has to be camera's right? Some security rent a guards? Can't believe how this isn't bigger news.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150

Where does it say a Mexican did it? Are you assuming a bit? For all anyone knows, it could have been anybody.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Also why attack a diesel tank? Everyone knows diesel is hard to ignite with simple fire/explosions. Needs to be compressed. I'm thinking maybe it was part of a bigger thwarted plan since the response to the plant being down would be difficult with the back up generators out of fuel. Who knows will be interesting to see what comes of this. Plus with all the camera they have to be able to come up with something.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: marbles87

This is my take,

The cartels had to get a large shipment of drugs over the border so instead of causing serious damage they used some weak explosive to bring all the attention to one area of Nogales while calmly bringing in there supply.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: JJRichey

I lived down there (Tucson- about 60 miles from Nogales) long enough that it is a VERY safe assumption. After AZ passed HB 1070 they flung tires off of an overpass on to Interstate 19. The violence down there is constant. They have called death threats in to U.S. elected officials and law enforcement. Yes, VERY safe assumption.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Yep, I got to go with da saneone on this...the Cartel was either moving something important or assessing the chances of doing so.....

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: marbles87
Why would they give out such info. If the plant is the only power provider for the area then it is now know and can be attacked to provide cover for a border breach. The stuff the media is willing to spurt out is disturbing

I hear ya but at the same time that's most likely very public information. I'm pretty sure you can easily figure out where your power comes from with a Googlin'.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 03:17 AM
link   

"The reason for the high-scale response is the plant is an electrical substation and critical to the area," Jimenez said, explaining that as many as 30,000 customers in the area - the entire town of Nogales and its environs - depends on the plant for power.

"The whole city of Nogales could have been compromised," he adde
a reply to: anniquity

So the reason for the high-scale response wasn't because somebody blew off a bomb, but because the cities power may have been compromised???

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 04:40 AM
link   

The description of the device as being "suspicious" is something I find just a little bit hilarious, purely for its absurdity!

The device is not merely suspicious! It damned well exploded! If there is any suspicion left about its purpose, I am damned if I can figure out where that last remnant of suspicion lies!

Let's clear up this issue. It was a bomb.

BOMB explodes at Nogales power plant... For crying out loud!

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   
The cartels could have done it, but it doesn't matter who actually did it... The blame will probably be placed on a homegrown anti-government terrorist.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   
suspicious devices that explode are just bombs.

Once it explodes theres no suspicion.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Having viewed the video and read the article and posting the following can be stated:

While the bomb did no damage, the ramifications can be far reaching. Anyone care to guess why such was targeted? I can only surmise that it was for one of 2 reasons.

The first is that if the power plant goes down, what happens to the town? Most of the residents would have to leave, as the heat would be very dangerous for those in the area.

There are 2 possibilities the first is that this is cartels that are doing such. The second is that this is to send a message to the federal government that a person in the USA is not happy about the arrangement for the holding down in that area for the children that are showing up and crossing the borders.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Huh... the power went out for a moment in Tucson in the afternoon that day. I bet it's connected. The system compensated very speedily, if so.

There have been a few, seemingly organized feints against the U.S. power grid lately... as someone already surmised, maybe this was so that a drug load got across... but maybe not.

Our ragged infrastructure is a big, obvious target.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

The description of the device as being "suspicious" is something I find just a little bit hilarious, purely for its absurdity!

The device is not merely suspicious! It damned well exploded! If there is any suspicion left about its purpose, I am damned if I can figure out where that last remnant of suspicion lies!

Let's clear up this issue. It was a bomb.

BOMB explodes at Nogales power plant... For crying out loud!

Because it wasn't a bomb...that's why they came out and said "suspicious" at first. The FBI responded because of the threat to a power supply, so naturally, everyone assumes it was a bomb when it was simply another mysterious explosion.

Jumping Jack Flash Hypothesis

Soon, ya'll will realize what's happening because it will be hard to ignore. This is another mysterious unexplained explosion such as the many transformer explosions, chemical plant explosions, wood pallet company fires, landfill fires, school bus fires, boats and planes on fire, RV fires, vehicles, etc.....

Of course, they'll stick with the "weak bomb" story now because it's all part of the cover-up.

Do some research...open your eyes!

These fires and explosions are becoming all too common...27 school bus fires in the month of May. I suppose the skeptics will tell us that school bus fires have always been happening and we just know about them now because of better communications such as 24 hour news and the internet. LOL! Wake up!

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   

It's no secret there is a Hezbollah presence in Mexico, and it is largely ignored by the Department of Homeland Security.
Not saying it was them....
Only that our whole southern border is wide open for any one to sneak in...
as proof I only have to point to the recent stories of our government suddenly being forced to provide for just over 40,000 unaccompanied illegal immigrant children who suddenly decided the US was the place to be.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join