It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need advice: where can I meet people?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   
The library, museums, sports events, First & foremost, shut down that computer and simply go outside and take a really deep breath...and to be honest..stop worrying about it. If your a service oriented personality...try volunteering at the hospital or hospice.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I agree that we need to know the extent of your hearing disability to be truly helpful. If it's possible, learn sign language even if you're not fully deaf, some cities have large deaf populations and there's an underserved social group there, for sure. I'm presuming you're male and thus you're in demand by default.

If transportation isn't an issue, volunteer anywhere that you would be interested in spending time; an art gallery, museum, library... quiet places where a minimum of hearing loss wouldn't be a barrier to saying hi and a bit more?

Make sure you're working on being self-supporting, it's not going to be a long lived relationship if you're financially needy.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Everyone, thanks for your support and suggestions. This overwhelming, positive response is much appreciated. You all have given me much to think about.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 01:53 AM
link   
The main trick in the art of friendship is not to try. There are no better places than others, there is only your own fear of ridicule. Find peace in yourself to the point that you value your opinions as much as anyone else's. Then you will find yourself talking to complete strangers about the most trivial of matters with utter confidence. Believe you are worthy and people will listen and gravitate towards you, not you having to try to win them over x

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I think you should always remember that you've made a lot of comments on ats that were well thought out, to the point, and confident. The person you are here is always available in person if you don't over think it.

I got over my shyness by trying to find something of a connection to any person I was talking to, even down to forcing a feeling of interest and connection. Weird thing is it worked and I can strike up conversation with almost everyone now, and find something genuinely interesting about every living soul.

Good luck with it

edit on 12-6-2014 by igloo because: Forgot something

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I can see that you have some good suggestions already but doing a course at night is an excellent way of meeting people. Day courses are good too if you have the time. Taking up a martial art such as karate is great too. The baby or puppy thing really does work too. I used to walk my dog through my suburb and people would talk to me. Just get a handsome dog. A really interesting thing is girls would smile and talk to me when I took my dear old dad somewhere like a shopping mall or the hardware shop.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   
When I first moved to NY I couldn't make any friends, this place has completely different type of humans than the happy go lucky hippies and skaters of Washington State. It took a lot of effort on my part. I found what matters most is just getting out there, the anxiety of meeting people lessons the more you put yourself out there.

Check out the local small town papers for meet-ups.

most libraries often have book and movie club meetings based on certain genres, could possible meet someone with the same interests there. I do not know about your town but close to where I live there is a Buddhist Monastery which offers free meditation classes (donation not required but is requested). A meditation class might just put you in to a calm enough state that would make meeting people a little easier.

Also you can go to meetup.com and look for things near you. If you are a Christian or an Atheist, or any other number of religions you can go there and put in your zip-code and find meetings with like minded people near you. There are meetups for any number of things, movies, books, video games, occult etc....

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

I know the feeling been there and done that.

My best advice I can offer.
Figure out what you like to do and go do it.
You will meet people that have similar interests.
Above all else have fun. That special someone will come.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   
When i moved to a new town, away froma l my friends, i started going to the group play like games.... not sure if they have it where you live. but this is like clubs where people just sign upa nd play various games.. like in camp... it could be boardgames, volleyball, some treking etc.

And it goes from there.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Quit thinking. Get out. Join clubs. Participate in events. Walk a thons, groups. Volunteer. Good luck

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 12:40 AM
link   

My best suggestions:

1. Jr colleges . . . art classes, communications classes, psychology classes, sociology classes, anthropology classes [such social sciences classes afford--in most cases, a chance to hear where others are coming from], crafts classes--e.g. pottery, jewelry, welding, carpentry, cabinetry, flower arranging, . . .

2. Square dancing and other older style dancing groups

3. Churches--particularly those with home groups; age focused groups;

4. Volunteer organizations

5. Old Folks homes. They have relatives--usually.

6. Travel groups

7. card playing groups

8. gardening groups

9. animal rescue groups

10. birding groups

11. Wilderness clean-up &/or trail building groups

12. Sports groups--runners, skaters, surfers, skiing, fishing, Frisbee golf, golf, hunters, backpackers, hikers, wall climbers, tennis, rowing, fly fishing,

13. cooking groups

14. parenting groups

15. book reading groups

16. learning to fly or sail plane groups

= = =

You'll have to PUT YOURSELF OUT THERE . . . yet not be nor appear toooo desperate, clingy or eager for companionship. Be confident, interesting, stable, well able to handle life as you are instead of looking for a life ring of a new relationship.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join