Need advice: where can I meet people?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Hi ATS--looking for some straight-forward advice today: Where can I start meeting new friends and people?

I'll give you a quick run-down: I was home-schooled for most of high school and lost contact with many of my friends during this period. I started losing my hearing around that time and fell into a well of shyness, isolation, and subsequent loneliness. With that came some cynicism and feelings of despair. (In other words, I created a vicious cycle for myself where I kept making excuses to avoid social situations.)

I'm really trying hard to break out of that mind-set. I have even started some clinical therapy to help. So far about the only advice I've got from that was to use facebook more -___-

Well, I'd really rather just get out more and try some face-to-face interaction. I have a bit of social anxiety and my social skills are a bit rusty from long-term disuse. Well, the only way is to get out and practice, right?

I'm having a hard time thinking of places that might be more conducive to meeting new people. Maybe somewhere I can visit a couple of times a month and expect to see the same folks; somewhere where others are also looking to develop a social circle. Money is a bit tight right now while I'm out of work, so that has limited me just a bit. I'm not much of a drinker or dancer so "clubbin" is definitely out.

So, where and how have you folks had success in striking up new friendships? I really appreciate any forthcoming advice you have to share.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Take a class in something-English Literature and Wing Chun both worked for me, plus I learned something useful. The other thing that worked was joining the T.A which I think is the same as the National Guard in America. In the UK you get paid for it too, so it's win-win.

Good Luck!

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

What about doing some voluntary service. I'd do that if I have time.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: lawman27

Wing Chun worked for me,

That was a catchy song!

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Buddah:
Look at this, (if you haven't already)

Meeting people

This is from Cracked, so you know it's good

Meet People

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Try the laundromat, worked for me sometimes....Going out for coffee and sitting at the counter works also. Listen for a while then blend right in.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   

So do you have a hearing aid, or can you just not hear at all? This information could be helpful for us to know.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
There's a website called "meetups.com". They have listings of all the meetings in most localities across the world.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I can't really advise the facebook thing. That's not real social interaction. It depends on what you're looking for. Do you just want friends to talk to and hang out or are you looking to get laid. There are many options for either. I hang out at the local bar and shoot pool. Strike up conversation with strangers. Seems to work for me.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Facebook is artificial.. dont think its an option its vice versa.
Start a hobbies, jogging, softball etc. If you are not intrested in any sport. Literature clubs even cooking clubs, something where "dating" isnt the main reason.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   

You wanna make friends? It matters not where you are. Wear a smile (even when you are not meeting people).

Trust me.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Look for new things to try like horse shoes , darts , shuffle board ,pool . Some kind of a league that wont cost much or require a total commitment ...best of luck .. hey go fly a kite in a park .

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   

1. Get a puppy and go to the mall and sit. They will flock to you.
2. Borrow someones baby go to the mall they will how cute you to death. Then tell them the story of the crash that killed the babies mother.
3. Go to the grocery store and ask the hottest one if they can help you find something.
4. Go to the bookstore and get to the section with love stories.
5. Go to any kids sporting event the amount of single moms is staggering.

Ok that will be $100.00 and two pieces of bacon please.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
This is really simple.

If you really want to meet guys, then do something where guys are. Perhaps a course in wood turning, you may just find a new hobby.

If you want to meet girls, go do something that girls, do such as cooking or sewing classes.

Being the only man at sewing, or the only women in wood turning has some major advantages. Something hands on is always better, someone has to show you how to do something.

Remember, every one you meet may be married, but, they all have siblings and friends. Take it slow.

A big bonus applies if you take up something you may like. Extend your boundaries.

If you say, I want to meet both sexes, then take up two classes.

P
edit on 11/6/2014 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Your local work out center a YMCA or even the park. Somewhere where people get together play a little ball and make plans for hanging out somewhere after. Some would say if your not old enough for the bar you can hit up the coffee shop especially if they have band splay there all the time.

Tattoo shops are pretty handy.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Church, it is early in the thread though.
If you are that way inclined, Church is probably one of the easiest places to meet new friends.
I went to a meeting of the born again christens years ago, they were to aggressive for me but meeting new people was not a problem.

If you are thinking about joining a dating site, do some intense research before you join and do not let go of your credit card details no matter what.
You can pm me for a few legit dating sites that I use, that don't ask for money.

Good luck.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I know people say that facebook is evil and all. But I met the love of my life on there. It was a group of like minded people , general conspiracies and all, but I met my soulmate, my twin flame.
If it was meant to be, you will find that one.
Stop searching and just let it happen.
Life is funny like that.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Get out of your comfort zone.
Do things you would not normally do.
Get busy living or get busy dieing is my approach.

Be bold,go to a park and just talk to a random stranger...they don't bite.
People are people....go be one of them without fear of anything.

You have a friend in me but its online so its probably not much help.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Get involved in local politics.
Volunteer - as others have said.
School courses of any kind - as others have said.
Support groups of various kinds.
Toast Masters - get networking and skill development for the price of breakfast once a month.
Activist groups that are in alignment with your interests.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I agree with DrumsRfun, no matter what you decide...(and puh-lease, no internet)...just be bold!!!

You are likely better looking, more charming and a better catch than you give yourself credit for. Everyone is. Besides, people are too busy focusing on their own insecurities than to notice your own.

Also make a list of all of the qualities you are looking for in a friend or soul mate - then ask yourself if you mirror those qualities. If not, live into it. If you do, figure out 3 to 5 places where people who have those qualities are hanging out.

And remember, nothing you can do will screw it up if it's meant to be, so just be your boldest self and have fun looking.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join