It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama cites Australia’s gun confiscation program as example for US

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: LrdRedhawk

The Obama administration may be looking for an example in Australia as the White House considers potential new firearm laws for the United States in the wake of the latest in a series of devastating school shootings.

US President Barack Obama cited gun rules in America’s down under ally during remarks that were broadcast on the web Tuesday afternoon only hours after a gunman entered a high school near Portland, Oregon and opened fire, killing a student.

Obama cites Australia’s gun confiscation program as example for US

“A couple of decades ago Australia had a mass shooting similar to Columbine or Newtown, and Australia just said, ‘Well, that’s it. We’re not doing — we’re not seeing that again,’ and basically imposed very severe, tough gun laws, and they haven’t had a mass shooting since. I mean, our levels of gun violence are off the charts. There’s no other advanced, developed country on earth that would put up with this,” Obama added.

I think the President should be asking himself why he has the highest incidents of mass shootings under his tenure that any other POTUS. Have things become so desperate for the youth in America that they need to take up arms and kill people? Since the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer, with the middle class sliding towards the poor column should we be worried that the Obama inspired economic conditions have resulted in a unique condition called Mass Shootings?

Should we have an overhaul of our education system away from the Obama doctrine of lower standards, and common core testing? Would it be better to have the children of America earn their accolades, grades, and trophies, producing a higher opinion of oneself, garnering better self respect and a higher respect for others? Rather than give them trinkets of little value as a pacification to equalize status.

Rather than dictate new gun laws and point to other countries for solutions, maybe the President should look to himself, his policies, and the shooter for the answers to mass shootings.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: LrdRedhawk

There was some discussion about this topic at work today so let me throw some thoughts out there for you all. Since the shooting in 1999 ( Columbine) we have seen an increase in shootings why? here are some of the thoughts that were thrown out there.

1. We pamper our kids, example when they do something wrong we just sit them down and tell them that is wrong and you can do that, (even though they just took your car out and destroyed it). When I was growing up I would of gotten my back side burned by that famous belt.

2. Can it be those stupid video games were they think they can shoot someone and they come back to life, they don't understand the definition dead is dead

3. Government is more focused on blaming the weapons used that the individuals behind them, law abiding citzens follow the rules, but still if you want to plan something horrible like a murder you will find a way to get around the laws and get a weapon. The laws are only as good as the enforcement, maybe we should enforce the laws we have instead of coming up with new laws that don't make sense.

4. Stop pacifying our children, if they want to learn about weapons maybe they should see for themselves what a real dead person looks like after they have been shot....scare the blank out of them so they understand that weapons are deadly.

5. Parents need to be more involved in the kids life.

What do you think?

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: rdw134
2013 estimated automoblile deaths, over 36000. Cancer deaths combined in 2013, estimated 580,350. Death toll of mass shootings in the last 7 years 900.

Indeed, America has its values backwards. It is fear that is the aristocracy's greatest weapon of control. Go Goldstein!

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: 19KTankCommander
Since the shooting in 1999 ( Columbine) we have seen an increase in shootings why?

When you say 'shootings' what exactly do you mean as overall firearms homicides have steadily decreased since then?

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
So another scenario where the lawful folk lose their guns and the criminals keep theirs. Mint.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Monsanto mom and her billionaire Bloomberg cult released this nonsense dis-info piece today that all the Bill of Rights haters have been regurgitating all day:

Since the December 2012 shooting in Newtown, CT, there have been at least 74 school shootings in America.
link

Geez. Sounds horrible, right? The page even comes with the obligatory crying woman photo. It must suck to be a woman. Always wailing and crying and desperately trying to survive in a world that is relentlessly trying to eat them. So weak. So helpless. But I digress.

These fellas here have put together a nice table of these 'shootings' and added context complete with links to the news reports: TTAG

Needless to say the MDA hit piece lumps in straight up suicides, domestic violence incidents, off campus gang hits and muggings, etc....

But then we're supposed to just look at the crying woman picture and feel bad and forget every bit of reason and logic and jump on the zero-thought required emotional bandwagon. She's crying! We must do SOMETHING!

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: 19KTankCommander

Always Someone who jumps on the video games are bad mm kay bandwagon. If that was true id be out right now murdering airports full of people like in NO RUSSIAN but since thats a fantasy there is no danger of that. 74 shootings since 2012. something is going on and its not the water. ever since Obamas re election they have increased. isnt it a little odd?

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlastedCaddy
So another scenario where the lawful folk lose their guns and the criminals keep theirs. Mint.

well i am posting from here in beautiful australia.

i have commented on a few different posts over my time here trying to understand the whole gun culture thing in america. i have finally reached a conclusion.....YOUR ALL IDIOTS.

we as a nation had a mass murder and our prime minister had the balls to stand up and say never again. i was only a teenager and my parents had a rifle in the top of the cupboard. they handed it in and that was it...end of story.

my kids are now in their late teens they have never held a gun..never seen a gun and would be frightened to even be near a gun. BUT...they all went to school and the last thing ever on their mind was a school shooting. they have never had to do drills of what to do if there is a gunman in the school etc.

i work in a major sydney hospital only about 50 minutes away from the centre of sydney. in my 10 years there i have probably only ever seen 5 shooting victims. all were criminals and one was a child who shot his friend while playing with his dads gun. i have never seen an inocent victim just randomly shot.

yes there are still shootings here but i can safely say over 90% have a middle eastern name and its gang related just shooting each other in gang wars. that doesnt bother me....shoot away at each other. one poor innocent man got caught in the cross fire once and was killed.

so fellow ats friends....flame away as i know you will ... stand up and chant USA USA...bang your chest and tell me how you love your guns and your rights then go and watch the nightly news about the latest mass shooting.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Well that makes this photo on Jerad Millers Facebook page more interesting! Look on his page and click the patriot image and two others photos will appear including this kuala bear. The trail of clues left behind...

edit on 11-6-2014 by Mikeultra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: bellagirl
i have finally reached a conclusion.....YOUR ALL IDIOTS.

If you are going to refer to us as idiots you may want to write that properly, as in 'you are' or 'you're'.

i work in a major sydney hospital only about 50 minutes away from the centre of sydney. in my 10 years there i have probably only ever seen 5 shooting victims. all were criminals and one was a child who shot his friend while playing with his dads gun. i have never seen an inocent victim just randomly shot.

It would appear that you are more concerned in the manner of peoples criminal assault other than the fact that they are actually criminally assaulted, otherwise you would not have omitted the fact that your restrictive firearms law had little impact:

''The puzzle is that homicide is coming down but assault isn't so I don't think it's fair to say we're becoming less violent,'' he said. ''One possibility is that emergency medical procedures have improved so fewer people are dying of their injuries.''

The percentage of murders committed with a firearm has declined across Australia since 1999 to about 15 per cent. This is often attributed to stricter gun laws passed after the Port Arthur Massacre, yet gun violence has not declined accordingly. Source

yes there are still shootings here but i can safely say over 90% have a middle eastern name and its gang related just shooting each other in gang wars. that doesnt bother me....shoot away at each other. one poor innocent man got caught in the cross fire once and was killed.

I see, so as long as the 'brown' people kill themselves you are not concerned, how very civilized of you.

so fellow ats friends....flame away as i know you will ... stand up and chant USA USA...bang your chest and tell me how you love your guns and your rights then go and watch the nightly news about the latest mass shooting.

Or we could just look up the violent crime statistics in your home country and educate you and help relieve some of your smug ignorance.

edit on 11-6-2014 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
"Your all idiots". That about sums it up.

I probably fit into that 10-20%. I have a CC. I can legally own virtually anything short of AA weapons, and I do. Some people like video games. Some collect antiques. Some collect dolls, mirrors, clocks... You name it, someone somewhere collects it. And I collect guns. How many people have I shot? None in my 20+ years of collecting.

There are SO many problems with gun grabbing it's almost mind blowing. I think the most important of all of the aspects is parenting. If you see a sign your kid has some kind of mental problem, get the kid help. If you own anything larger than a friggin .177 BB gun, LOCK IT THE HELL UP. How many of these shootings have happened with a parent's weapon? From what I've read, at least 90%. There's no reason anyone under 21 (save for supervised hunting or target shooting) should be able to buy, sell, hold, ANYTHING a gun other than a pellet or BB.

How many are used that were stolen in a home robbery or invasion? I'm sure quite a few, particularly in the inner city. A friend of mine and former roommate lost his CC permit because he didn't use our safe ( 6' x 4' x 4') and his CZ and Nagant were stolen when we weren't home (I actually think it was our landlord's girlfriend who traveled to NYC weekly, she had a habit of coming in when we weren't home and leaving a lone floater in the toilet and nothing else but a Polish AK kit was also stolen minus the receiver) and later found after being used in shootings in NYC. I had no sympathy for him.

Here's an idea. Lock your firearms up, even if no children are going to be around them ever. Provide proof that you have a safe or have the FFL holder refuse the sale. Hell, I already do that myself. If you're found to have a firearm out of the safe in anything but a SAFE transportation to the range, hunt, whatever or have it on you with your CC permit immediately available... lose ALL of your firearms, ability to buy in the future, face a mandatory minimum and a fine.

It's not that hard. Going door to door is not going to accomplish anything other than making people want their guns more. There are hundreds of solutions, but stay the hell away from me and other responsible owners.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: LrdRedhawk

Every word that comes out of Hussein Obama's mouth is a lie, deceit, or corruption. His opinion on gun control means absolutely nothing to me. I agree, he should move to Australia, maybe that's where he was born? I say, Buck Ofama.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
The current administration doesn't seem to count themselves in reducing gun violence since they use them every day to enforce un American agendas upon citizens. Like the BLM land grabs using AR-15's with 30 round clips. It seems quite obvious he wants to make citizens absolutely powerless to defend themselves against any threat, especially the threats he wishes to use against Americans. Citizens with guns would just get in the way of this administrations agendas. The main Agenda of his being totally against freedom.

Take an example from his pet Harry Reid, using a squad of heavily armed BLM agents to help him with one of his huge graft projects. His family should have him euthanized being the most humane way to restore a little dignity to the "Reid" name again.

I know a few PhD Psychiatrists that would also be interested in Dianne Feinstein's display of psycho babble. And getting that gun from her purse so she doesn't shoot some kid accidentally. What does it mean to publicly hate guns but carry a concealed one around? These are the very things the guys in white coats that work for Bellevue Hospital want to know. Before looking at Australia's laws, they should fix their own issues first.

When Obama says anything these days, it sounds like this and just defies any kind of logic whatsoever:

edit on 11-6-2014 by Shadow22 because: heehaw

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
>>
“A couple of decades ago Australia had a mass shooting similar to Columbine or Newtown, and Australia just said, ‘Well, that’s it. We’re not doing — we’re not seeing that again,’ and basically imposed very severe, tough gun laws, and they haven’t had a mass shooting since. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...
>>

originally posted by: Glassbender777
Luckily I dont live in Australia.

"Luckily"?

Let's put two almost identical USAs (or Australias) there for comparison for a mind experiment.

The one USA has gun control but there is no such thing as gun shootings (like the example of Australia above where they had one shooting 20 years ago and then none) - and on the other side an USA *without* gun control but mass shooting every couple of weeks almost, in schools, cinemas, malls etc..

That you say "luckily" you don't live there means you prefer to live in the country with constant shootings since you think you are more "luckier" being able to get easy access to a gun...even with more mass shootings going on?

This is pretty...astonishing.....

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Having lived in Canada my whole life, I honestly don't get what the big damn fear most Americans seem to have about President Obama taking away their guns, or the notion of any gun laws or regulation, or anything along that topic. If anyone in their government even casually mentions something in passing it seems a large (but not majority) number of American citizens poop their pampers and go off on anti-government tirades.

We have had many forms of gun laws in Canada since practically our country's formation in the 19'th century, yet we still have access to guns if we want them. We just have to jump through a few hoops to get them, but we can still get them. We just can't have certain weapons and certain ammunition: why do many Americans view this as a bad thing?

I'm not taking a side in this debate as honestly I could care less which way it swings; I'm don't consider myself pro-gun or pro-regulation. I'm just terribly amused and confused by how Americans appears to love their guns to almost a fetishistic extent. It's bizzare.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ArchAngel_X
What certain weapons and ammunition are you not allowed to have? I read something in the Moncton thread that said provincial by-laws were enacted to do away with your crown laws. Something like that... it sounds like whatever national rights you had as Canadian citizens was hacked away at the province level.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Maybe I'm getting tired of this constant assault on the 2nd Amendment.

Just use the pen and phone and get rid of it!

Chew up the 1st Amendment while we're at it!

If we are actually having these types of discussions then "rights" have lost their meanings.

Just shut down the entire "Constitution" and Bill of Rights!

It's not like any political leader gives a damn anymore!

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mikeultra
What certain weapons and ammunition are you not allowed to have?

Off the top of my head, handguns of certain sizes and clip capacities, modified rifles and shotguns (sawed off or converted rates of fire), and fully-automatic weapons. And no incendiary or armor-piercing rounds. But I'm far from an expert on gun laws in my own country because I don't own any.

You can have rifles and handguns and loads of ammo, but you have to have a gun license and pass a criminal background check. Which I don't see as a bad thing, frankly, but my opinion might be biased on growing up and living in a country with extant gun laws.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoRulesAllowed >> “A couple of decades ago Australia had a mass shooting similar to Columbine or Newtown, and Australia just said, ‘Well, that’s it. We’re not doing — we’re not seeing that again,’ and basically imposed very severe, tough gun laws, and they haven’t had a mass shooting since. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com... >>

originally posted by: Glassbender777 Luckily I dont live in Australia.
"Luckily"? Let's put two almost identical USAs (or Australias) there for comparison for a mind experiment. The one USA has gun control but there is no such thing as gun shootings (like the example of Australia above where they had one shooting 20 years ago and then none) - and on the other side an USA *without* gun control but mass shooting every couple of weeks almost, in schools, cinemas, malls etc.. That you say "luckily" you don't live there means you prefer to live in the country with constant shootings since you think you are more "luckier" being able to get easy access to a gun...even with more mass shootings going on? This is pretty...astonishing.....

It is indeed better and luckier not to be restricted from gun buying in the USA, unlike Australia. Because if a bunch of rogue gang members armed with knives in the outback at some camping spot came up on some "easy prey" the easy prey would be dead meat.
But if the "Easy prey" were carrying pistols they could just live to tell about it.
I bet if the "easy prey" was your daughter's you would be so glad they didn't die that day because they had guns, right?
OR sticking to your current belief system, would you rather they had gotten killed?

Add: By the way, people get stabbed and killed that way in Australia a LOT. And since hardly anyone has a gun, they can't survive the encounter.
edit on 11-6-2014 by Shadow22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: bellagirl

No, we happen to have a constitution that protect us from idiots specially those behind agendas in government, including the frog president in the White house, sadly Australia will never get to know what it is to be a free country, after all if history doesn't fail me they started as nothing but a penal colony.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join