It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama cites Australia’s gun confiscation program as example for US

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   

The Obama administration may be looking for an example in Australia as the White House considers potential new firearm laws for the United States in the wake of the latest in a series of devastating school shootings.

US President Barack Obama cited gun rules in America’s down under ally during remarks that were broadcast on the web Tuesday afternoon only hours after a gunman entered a high school near Portland, Oregon and opened fire, killing a student.

Obama cites Australia’s gun confiscation program as example for US

“A couple of decades ago Australia had a mass shooting similar to Columbine or Newtown, and Australia just said, ‘Well, that’s it. We’re not doing — we’re not seeing that again,’ and basically imposed very severe, tough gun laws, and they haven’t had a mass shooting since. I mean, our levels of gun violence are off the charts. There’s no other advanced, developed country on earth that would put up with this,” Obama added.

+43 more 
posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: LrdRedhawk
Obama should move to Australia.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Second! a reply to: butcherguy

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
The trouble is, it's all right saying DO it, but somehow you have to implement it. I don't live in America so I don't really know how bad it's gotten, but judging by the shootings lately, it seems to be getting worse.
Would confiscating guns work in America?

Either way, SOMETHING has to change.

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Luckily I dont live in Australia. I think this comes down to more than just guns, its the way all these youngsters are growing up, with violance on every TV channel, medication shoved down there throats, media giving every gunman 24-7 news coverage. Why dont they really start looking at what is really causing this. The Gun is just the tool, not the reason they are doing this. they could outlaw all guns and people will still find a way to commit mass murder.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Americans aren't giving up their guns, and considering how things are going, rightly so.
However, our society does have a real problem with violence, aggression and mental health, all of which should be addressed in a positive way.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: rhynouk

It would be easier to outlaw football (soccer) in the UK than to oulaw guns in the US.

Never going to happen without a new government or a new population.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

OPINION-(or Observation?):

Obama sure seems to be QUICK-DRAW on things (UnAmerican?) such as Gun-Control and (uncontrolled?)-Immigration ...

BUT

SLOW on things (American?) such as the VA-Scandal ... ( and etc., etc., etc. ... ).

edit on 11-6-2014 by FarleyWayne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Americans don't need guns. Americans don't need rights. Liberties. Freedoms.
Americans need to be afraid. OfCrazy people with guns. Trust the nice police officer kicking your head in. Try not to bleed on his new Kevlar jack boots.
after we get that pesky 2nd amendment out of the way we can start working on the first

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: 200Plus

The number of households with a gun has been steadily dropping since 1975.

Meanwhile, there's a core of individuals (10-20%) that keep buying more and more guns and ammo. I read a study the other day that indicated they now own 65% of all guns in the US.

Astoundingly, 50% of the worlds guns are owned by private parties in the US. These are people screaming about gun grabbers and land grabbers and blood thirsty illegal aliens. It's all cooked up in their heads and some marketing department somewhere.

Murican freedom isn't free. It's steeped in crazy sauce.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: dashen

Can you name something good that doesn't rely on instant access to lethal force?

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass
a reply to: dashen

Can you name something good that doesn't rely on instant access to lethal force?

No sir i cant. I bake cookies and apple pie with a large caliber weapon on my belt.
I love Murica!

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Hahaha omg made me laugh. I totally agree and anyone else that thinks we should confiscate guns.

(post by InverseLookingGlass removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass
a reply to: 200Plus

The number of households with a gun has been steadily dropping since 1975.

Meanwhile, there's a core of individuals (10-20%) that keep buying more and more guns and ammo. I read a study the other day that indicated they now own 65% of all guns in the US.

Astoundingly, 50% of the worlds guns are owned by private parties in the US. These are people screaming about gun grabbers and land grabbers and blood thirsty illegal aliens. It's all cooked up in their heads and some marketing department somewhere.

And a very small group of people exercise all of their first amendment rights. Should we get rid of those rights as well?

Having rights isn't about numbers or percentages. It's a fundamental thing.

It doesn't matter if you don't exercise that right. It doesn't matter if you don't like the people who do. It's not your call. This right exists. And it is protected by the Constitution.

And if you want to change that set of facts you'll have to change the Constitution. Good luck with that.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

So the new CCW holders and all the reports last year stating that new ownership was on the rise is just false??

You really need to stop reading and regurgitating the talking points from MDA.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   

That's a good comeback, really good.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   

OMG best thing I have seen posted all week.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
funny Obama doesn't site Chicago...
the most gun free zone in the US
they had what thirty shootings on the weekend in gun free land?

ooops,
silly me...
guess I answered my own question

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   
2013 estimated automoblile deaths, over 36000. Cancer deaths combined in 2013, estimated 580,350. Death toll of mass shootings in the last 7 years 900. Estimated death toll from US drone strikes in the last 5 years, 2400. From the research i have done in the year 2013 we spent a projected 7 to 10 billion federal dollars on cancer research. In contrast our Defense budget was roughly 672.9 billion dollars for the same year. I wil be the first to admit that 900 people is 900 to many, but it is a distraction from what our true problems are. Gun controll, gay marriage, all social issues that have there place, but are given way to much to distraction in the light of the true problems. Imagine what 10% of our defense budget would do for cancer research, are school reform. We are 17 trillion dollars in debt with a infrastructer that wont last 20 more years in most American cities and we squabble over the scraps they throw us. How many of these mass shooting would have never happened in a growing econmy. What would 5% of the defense budget pumped into the mental health system have changed? At this point i dont believe its the answers we seek, but the questions we ask.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join