It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Climate change may prevent contact with alien civilisations

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Too bad we can't vote the non-readers' posts down a few notches. They were all so quick to jump on the bandwagon. This OP's reference is actually an interesting premise. The title, unfortunately, made this thread a target!
a reply to: NoRulesAllowed

edit on 12-6-2014 by kkrattiger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoRulesAllowed
READING COMPREHENSION???

Seems to be non-existent here and over where the article is posted, judging by the comments.

While this is certainly just a theory, it has "some" merit.

The author says basically that the problem is that intelligent life may well develop on many planets, however due to "climate change" IN THIS CASE THAT STARS BECOME HOTTER, the planet at some point becomes inhabitable so that a civilization may have died out again before they were able to develop interstellar space travel.

While I don't necessarily agree with this, this speculation itself is more than justified.

I can't help to think that many read "climate change" and didn't even bother to read WHAT exactly the article is about. Typical.

Then perhaps the article should not have been entitled "Climate change may prevent contact with alien civilisations".

What possible motive could they have for such a misleading headline for an article merely peppered with gratuitous references to man-made greenhouse-gas emissions, global warming, and climate change when that wasn't the actual point of the piece?

originally posted by: VoidHawk
Just ANOTHER excuse to put the words "Climate change" into peoples heads!

Who was it that said "Speak a lie often enough and it becomes truth?

Hmmm...

edit on 12-6-2014 by draknoir2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: EnigmaAgent

Someone who uses the sun when discussing climate change is surely not trustworthy. Why I hear 97% of all scientists think.............

Oh, nevermind.

(What a maroon. This guy thinks that the source of our warmth might actually have some affect on our global climate. pathetic.)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   

I'll admit when I first read the thread tittle, I thought it was going to be about "why aliens will not come to Earth due to man made climate change"

A better tittle would have been something like: "How Stellar Evolution Might Keep Civilizations From Interstellar Flight" or something along those lines.

It is true that our own planet has somewhere between 500 million to 1 billion years left before our sun becomes so hot that life will no longer be possible here. Stellar evolution of stars with other planets face the same fate, however the amount of time they have depends on the type of star and where the planet is of course.

"G" type stars like our sun have life spans measured in the billions of years, and if life on other planets develop like ours did, gives plenty of time for life to develop. Longer if we start talking about red dwarf stars.

Super Giant stars have very short life spans, measured in hundreds of millions of years, like many of the stars of the constellation of Orion. They are very large, very hot, and burn their fuel very fast. Their might not be enough time for any planets around stars like that.

However I could point out that we (humans) have space flight now, and even have ways (such as the Orion Project) to leave for another star. We went from first learning how to do powered flight in the air just over 100 years ago, to being able to put probes around the outer planets of our solar system.....and we still have 1/2 billion to a billion years left.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: draknoir2

originally posted by: EnigmaAgent
Didn't know where to put this. Either Aliens and UFO's or Frigile Earth.

Speaking of "Frigile" Earth.... coldest, longest, most brrrutal winter since the 70's.

And there is STILL ice on lake superior!

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Most stars are binary anyway, some systems have three stars, must be damn awkward for planets to get and keep water, air, microbes, plants, etc., so I think stars like ours, slightly bigger than average G's, are few and far between, plus just what are the odds of a Goldilocks planet around a supportive star?
Just why are most systems binary anyway?

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: pikestaff
a reply to: eriktheawful

Most stars are binary anyway, some systems have three stars, must be damn awkward for planets to get and keep water, air, microbes, plants, etc., so I think stars like ours, slightly bigger than average G's, are few and far between, plus just what are the odds of a Goldilocks planet around a supportive star?
Just why are most systems binary anyway?

How many?

A lot.

Take a read, you might find it interesting:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Firstly, we haven't made contact with alien civilizations therefore you cannot even say global warming will prevent contact with them.

Secondly, what if we cannot contact alien civilizations (if they exist) because THEY are experiencing global warming themselves??????

edit on 12-6-2014 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein

Didn't know where to put this. Either Aliens and UFO's or Frigile Earth.

Or......Bat$hitInsane....

What the hell do people think sometimes? Aliens won't come here or vice versa because of the effing climate change? GAWD....

The articles concern climate change on other planets, indicating that most possible life-supporting planets may become uninhabitable long before there is enough time for intelligence to evolve due to changes in the suns they orbit.

Talk about anthrocentric.

Harte

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skywatcher2011
Firstly, we haven't made contact with alien civilizations therefore you cannot even say global warming will prevent contact with them.

Secondly, what if we cannot contact alien civilizations (if they exist) because THEY are experiencing global warming themselves??????

You didn't read the article, did you?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join