It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Climate change may prevent contact with alien civilisations

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Didn't know where to put this. Either Aliens and UFO's or Frigile Earth.

phys.org...

So why don't we see advanced civilisations swarming across the universe? One problem may be climate change. It is not that advanced civilisations always destroy themselves by over-heating their biospheres (although that is a possibility). Instead, because stars become brighter as they age, most planets with an initially life-friendly climate will become uninhabitably hot long before intelligent life emerges. Read more at: phys.org...

The Earth has had 4 billion years of good weather despite our sun burning a lot more fuel than when Earth was formed. We can estimate the amount of warming this should have produced thanks to the scientific effort to predict the consequences of man-made greenhouse-gas emissions. Read more at: phys.org...

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: EnigmaAgent

Oh, brother.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Or......Bat$hitInsane....

What the hell do people think sometimes? Aliens won't come here or vice versa because of the effing climate change? GAWD....
edit on 6/11/2014 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: EnigmaAgent

Speaking of "Frigile" Earth.... coldest, longest, most brrrutal winter since the 70's.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Chrisfishenstein

Must admit it is scraping the barrel much.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
If humans continue to go this way of pillaging and killing the planet, there would be no reason for aliens to even contact us, i mean, we need humans alive in order for that to happen.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Second....

Des

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
My doctor told me climate change also causes baldness and ED in men.

No wonder aliens won't risk coming here.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
READING COMPREHENSION???

Seems to be non-existent here and over where the article is posted, judging by the comments.

While this is certainly just a theory, it has "some" merit.

The author says basically that the problem is that intelligent life may well develop on many planets, however due to "climate change" IN THIS CASE THAT STARS BECOME HOTTER, the planet at some point becomes inhabitable so that a civilization may have died out again before they were able to develop interstellar space travel.

While I don't necessarily agree with this, this speculation itself is more than justified.

I can't help to think that many read "climate change" and didn't even bother to read WHAT exactly the article is about. Typical.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: NoRulesAllowed

I don't buy into the whole theory of climate change.

I also highly doubt Aliens would scratch us off the *places to visit* list due to our weather. If there are assets here on Earth they desire....

They will come...

Des

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Destinyone

I also highly doubt Aliens would scratch us off the *places to visit* list due to our weather. If there are assets here on Earth they desire....

They will come...

Des

Well, climate change happens, I guess you are talking about to what extent it is currently being accelerated by us as a race, but you can't deny it exists - the many ice ages we have had on this planet were all the result of climate change.

What the article is stating is actually nothing to do with 'our' situation, but the fact that out there somewhere on an inhabited planet, either their development was curtailed by similar events so that they never had the chance to reach the technology level many seem to assume they must have reached, or the temperature of their sun became such that life was no longer sustainable on their world and they had no alternative place to go.

If you read the article and look at it from that perspective then it's as reasonable as any other theory. It needs to be remembered that technically we are still in an ice age, believe it or not, so who knows what the next stage in our own planets lifecycle will take.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Nothing wrong with the hypothesis. I suspect a lot of civilizations get killed off before they have a chance to advance enough. A lot of them might not be smart enough to advance the ideas. We for example might not be able to travel faster than the speed of light before an extinction event hits us.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
In certain cases this might be considered a good thing.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   

They will come...

Des

Wow, you really decided to double down on NoRulesAllowed's READING COMPREHENSION observation huh?

I think his post nailed it. Start any thread with the words "climate change" on ATS and you just get the same plastic, predictable comments - no matter what the OP is actually about. It's like flipping a switch or something, and all of Pavlov's dogs around here just start barking.

On topic - I think the biggest variables in the Drake equation are by far and away the fi (fraction of intelligent life) and L (lifetime of intelligent civilization) terms.

There are many things a civilization could do to destroy itself before it reaches other stars (self-created climate change being just one of them) and when you look at it - it took 4.5 billion years for intelligent life to develop on this planet. That's hardly the blink of an eye or anything, even though it did develop very rapidly once the ball finally got rolling.

It's entirely possible that a lot of planets, even if they are conducive to life in general, just never beat out the clock on that.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Just ANOTHER excuse to put the words "Climate change" into peoples heads!

Who was it that said "Speak a lie often enough and it becomes truth?

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   

humans calling humans "intelligent life" is like cats calling cats "intelligent life."

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Destinyone

i think hes saying life usually doesnt make it to a space traveling age due to their planets burning off before they have a chance to advance so far.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: mc_squared

They will come...

Des

Wow, you really decided to double down on NoRulesAllowed's READING COMPREHENSION observation huh?

I think his post nailed it. Start any thread with the words "climate change" on ATS and you just get the same plastic, predictable comments - no matter what the OP is actually about. It's like flipping a switch or something, and all of Pavlov's dogs around here just start barking.

On topic - I think the biggest variables in the Drake equation are by far and away the fi (fraction of intelligent life) and L (lifetime of intelligent civilization) terms.

There are many things a civilization could do to destroy itself before it reaches other stars (self-created climate change being just one of them) and when you look at it - it took 4.5 billion years for intelligent life to develop on this planet. That's hardly the blink of an eye or anything, even though it did develop very rapidly once the ball finally got rolling.

It's entirely possible that a lot of planets, even if they are conducive to life in general, just never beat out the clock on that.

Totally agree. It is like say those words and otherwise intelligent people become idiots. You can say it ain't so all you want but it does not change the facts that the climate Is changing. You guys and gals remind of the folks centuries ago who said the world was flat lol and actually killed folks for saying different.

What a joke, of course there is climate change. Real easy, you don't think it is changing, move to one of the cities around the world that will be under water in the future. Move to one of the thousands of places around the world today where they are living climate change.

I also totally agree you guys didn't even bother to read the information. Almost as bad as how quickly people start bashing people for being christian here anymore.

This was just sad lol.

The Bot

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Yes you absolutely nailed it.

It is like those words cause a lightswitch to turn off in some peoples brains.

The OP deserves S&Fs for outing them.
edit on 11-6-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: dentedjaw

humans calling humans "intelligent life" is like cats calling cats "intelligent life."
so which are you human or cat? What about your mother? Your kids?I just hate it when people with low self esteem pack the whole human race into one basket and say basically were stupid and we all suck.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join