It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's Oldest Cat Dies Aged 24 (114 in cat years)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Poppy was officially recognised by Guinness World Records as the worlds oldest cat in May at the grand old age of 24 which works out at 114 in cat years , her owners say it's as if she'd hung on to claim the record.
According to the article the average age for a cat is 15

The tortoiseshell was born in February 1990 and was officially recognised by Guinness World Records in May. Poppy, who has lived through five British prime ministers lived with her owners Jacqui West and her two sons Joe and Toby at their home in Bournemouth on the south coast of England. "We knew she was old but it's still very upsetting," said Jacqui.
www.bbc.co.uk...

She obviously lived a long and happy life down there in Bournemouth.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Aww. What a great story!

We have a tortoiseshell cat as well. She's 15 now and is healthy showing no signs of age as of yet.

She's mean as all heck and I honestly think that is what keeps the little beast going, lol!

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

My kitty was 24 when she died a few years ago, she still looked healthy but her kidneys failed and she was blind.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I have strong reason to believe my mothers cat is older than this, I left home at 20. Next month I will be 38.
My old dog as a child was 15 when he died about 5 years after I left home.
The dog was between 3 & 5 when we got the cat, this is the only unsure part. We know it's within this period as we later got a 2nd dog which came after the cat. Lets assume the dog was 5 (at most) when we got the cat this would make our cat 23 years old minimum.
We actually think she is at least25 though as we are convinced that the dog was only 3 when we got the cat. I was 10 when we got the dog making the cats birth year 1989 if it was indeed 3 years after the dog we got the cat.

The cats name is lucky and she still looks well, never had regular vet visits. Had no illness throughout her life.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

shoulda gotten that Record!!!

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: welshreduk

, like the last comment I made then maybe your cat has the record lol sorry Char-Lee =[
edit on 11-6-2014 by Thisbseth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thisbseth
a reply to: Char-Lee

shoulda gotten that Record!!!

:-) Well she was with me all those years but no documentation and she died at home.
This her about a year before she died, she had cancer on her nose. he age is a guess by the Vet she was with me 22 years and she was not a baby when she came to me, the neighbor who owned her before said he had her "years" since a kitten.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Just lost mine this week. She was a few months shy of 20 years old.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: kelbtalfenek

Just lost mine this week. She was a few months shy of 20 years old.

My heart goes out to you. I lost a beautiful Himalayan who was almost 2o when he died.
Cats are the most amazing companions.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
That is amazing. I just lost a 4 day old cat. He was a runt, somewhere between 1/3 and 2/3 smaller than all the others, and he would not eat. Not even hand feeding him. I resorted to just eye-droppering the milk into him, thinking he was just weak from not eating. That is what I get for listening to my grandmother. She said just leave the mama to take care of the babies. That is why I didn't know something was wrong with it for days. Whenever I checked on them they would be sleeping, but this little guy was always rolling onto its side with its mouth hanging open. You set him on his belly and he just rolled over. It turned out he had internal injuries or deformities of some kind.

The cat got pregnant accidentally, slipping out of the house and disappearing. She was getting close to six months of age when this happened, and it was not her fault. I shouldn't have put off having her fixed. Technically I shouldn't have to since I am taking care of the cat for someone else, but apparently she is mine now lol. Anyway, at 6 months old she had 6 kittens. She is an excellent mother though. You should have seen her trying to take care of that little runt. That was surprising to me considering how they sometimes just sort of leave them alone. And when he died and I took him away, she actually up and moved the rest of her kittens. I have never seen that before, considering they had been in the same location for days. Will the mothers do this when the babies are getting ready to open their eyes? The room was not dark enough I don't think, and I wondered if that could be why she moved them. The timing with the death of the little one maybe was a coincidence. I know this is a bit off topic, but since it is a cat thread I thought I would share and ask those questions.
edit on 6/11/14 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I was five when a kitten was born at my aunts house. I tried to stay awake for the event, but didn't make it.
I was 34 years old when the cat got run over by a semi. She was still pretty spry even at that advanced age.

new topics

top topics

join