It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet Terence... The latest Rodinus household family member...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I am not sure if anyone will remember me posting about the pigeon that Rod Jr brought home one night after one of his friends found it and asked if we could look after it (slightly injured but now healed) :

This one :

He flew away the ungrateful git... but however from time to time will fly up to my office window and have a little peck.

Anyway... back to the original topic :

Rod Jr came home on Sunday with this little chappie :

Meet Terence

Terence was saved from a certain death as Rod Jr managed to scare away some kids who had stoned the poor little chaps mother to death...

So... guess what Rodinus is doing every day every 2 hours?... yep... you guessed... hunting for snails, slugs, all manner of beetles as well as hand feeding the greedy little bugger mashed cat food and prime hashed steak... (Despite Rod Jr "promising" to get up 10 minutes earlier everyday to find live food for him/her...)

The cats and dogs are looking on and licking their lips and before shortly I think I will have to wade through a puddle of dribble to feed him... not sure if the lip licking is meant for the crow or the steak and mashed cat food though?

Anyways... have to go as it's time shortly to get my hands all slimy with more snail hunting (luckily I live in France and have a handy snail farm in the compost heap)

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 11/6/14 by Rodinus because: Phrase added

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Awesome! If your little friend is a male, watch what you say around him!

Female birds have the ability to talk, but seldom do, and it is rarely as intelligible as a male's vocabulary.

You have one of the smartest birds known there! Maybe you could give him my address when he's a little older; I would love to have him visit for a summer vacation in Idaho!

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1
Awesome! If your little friend is a male, watch what you say around him!

Female birds have the ability to talk, but seldom do, and it is rarely as intelligible as a male's vocabulary.

You have one of the smartest birds known there! Maybe you could give him my address when he's a little older; I would love to have him visit for a summer vacation in Idaho!

Actually, I am very much at fault here for calling him/her a *him* But then again, he/she was named Terence before he/she actually arrived at the Rodinus household last Sunday.

Going to have to wait until he/she is a little bit older to find out its sex though... If it starts gabbling on incessantly then it MUST be a female

For the moment he/she contents itself on just giving a crow burp from time to time.

Funny thing about crows is that they are easily tamed... however, I don't really want to do this as it is prefarable that he/she goes back to the wild and fends for him/her self.

Waiting for Rod Jr to come back from college and we will take some pics of him/her hopping onto our hands at feeding time... my hand is in shreds from his/her claws

Not to mention that he/she is also a perpetual poo machine... chugging out liquid poo all over the garage floor and my tools everytime Rod Jr or myself take him/her out of the cage for feeding.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Rodinus

I see a steely resolve in Terences eye despite all the poor fella has been through, and he'd surely be a great addition to the family.

I wish I could say the same about the cats I adopted after their owner passed on. "Let me in, now let me out-no wait I've changed my mind, keep me in. Love me and cuddle me, oops I've changed my mind so now I'm gonna scratch you. Feed me, I'm starving!-wait I don't like this flavor, give me another one." To be honest I've had less trouble with pythons.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

I see a steely resolve in Terences eye despite all the poor fella has been through, and he'd surely be a great addition to the family.

I wish I could say the same about the cats I adopted after their owner passed on. "Let me in, now let me out-no wait I've changed my mind, keep me in. Love me and cuddle me, oops I've changed my mind so now I'm gonna scratch you. Feed me, I'm starving!-wait I don't like this flavor, give me another one." To be honest I've had less trouble with pythons.

I fear that much poo and clawed arms are going to be the in thing for the next couple of weeks...

Have you ever thought about introducing the cats to the Pythons... I am sure that they would get on well together and that the Pythons might teach the cats a thing or two about being so selfish?

Right... back to slug and beetle hunting...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

edit on 11/6/14 by Rodinus because: Fixed quote

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
You forgot the I'm going to destroy your self esteem by totally ignoring you no matter what you do They say you haven't been ignored until you've been ignored by a cat. . x reply to: Thecakeisalie

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I just did some quick research on the care of baby crows. Apparently if they are not socalized with other family members they may never be accepted in the crow community. If the fledgling can fly its best to release it. It will know how to get its own food. As long as it's not in danger from wandering cats even if it can only flit around the bushes on the ground it only takes a few days for them to be able to fly. What about dad. There should have been two parents and siblings in the area the fledgling was found. If you've only had it three days it's possible to return it where your son found it and look for other babies around the same age. They are probably from the same clutch. y reply to: Rodinus

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
I just did some quick research on the care of baby crows. Apparently if they are not socalized with other family members they may never be accepted in the crow community. If the fledgling can fly its best to release it. It will know how to get its own food. As long as it's not in danger from wandering cats even if it can only flit around the bushes on the ground it only takes a few days for them to be able to fly. What about dad. There should have been two parents and siblings in the area the fledgling was found. If you've only had it three days it's possible to return it where your son found it and look for other babies around the same age. They are probably from the same clutch. y reply to: Rodinus

Thank you for pointing that out AW for those that don't have experience in caring for animals.

Maybe I should point out that there were two other fledglings in the nest who were also stoned to death sadly and two adult crows were killed (presumably the mother and the father), so I prefer keeping it here at home and then letting him/her loose and just take the chance that he/she will be accepted into a "Murder" (name for colony of Crows) without too many problems... If failing that, then we have a crow for life.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Hiya Rod. When I was a little girl our neighbour had a pet crow called George. Our neighbour was not over the fence but about half a mile away over an empty field and a little scrubby wood.

We could hear George talking from our house!

So if you like your neighbours I suggest you be careful what you say around Terrence, and if you don't....

..... well tee hee - let the fun begin

Mura

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Nice job there Rod. Bit worried bout yer avatar. Leastways its not a roadrunner you're looking after.

I would use the Aussie vernacular, (exclamation) "Stone the flamin crows!!!" but perhaps thats not appropriate?

Regards Bally.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   
The whole family was killed? Just proves that not all the animals are in the zoo.
Little orphan is lucky to have you.
Still I'd be thinking of that release sooner rather than later. I have a wooded property and I've seen how fast these babies go from fatherless embryo looking chicks to full grown flying birds and its really only a matter of weeks from hatching to flying. Your bird looks like he's ready for the wild blue yonder already.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   

That's awesome do you have a "Heavens Corner Zoo" type of thing? Or just happen to help take care and heal animals that you come across?

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrsB00mQu35t

That's awesome do you have a "Heavens Corner Zoo" type of thing? Or just happen to help take care and heal animals that you come across?

More like Hells corner here with the 4 dogs, 2 cats, the fish and now the crow...

Living slap bang in the middle of the countryside and being a veterinary helps though.

We are probably going to take the crow into the field in front of us and release him/her this weekend depending on his/hers flying capabilities as there are plenty of trees in the woodlands around us for him/her to shelter in in order to escape predators.

@ AutumnWitch : Its only a matter of days here as I have been feeding him/her high protein food so that he/she can take to the skies much quicker.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 03:04 AM
link   

You do realise that the 'Rodinus Hotel' for birds - the tweet will get around and you will be fully booked.

Lovely pictures and Wow! they are obviously in very good hands. Good on you Rodinus, your youngster obviously follows in your footsteps for your love of birds and animals.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 03:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shiloh7

You do realise that the 'Rodinus Hotel' for birds - the tweet will get around and you will be fully booked.

Lovely pictures and Wow! they are obviously in very good hands. Good on you Rodinus, your youngster obviously follows in your footsteps for your love of birds and animals.

Now I just need to find cooking instructions...

Bwahahahahahahaha

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Rod,

The fact that your Rod Junior stepped in to save this bird proves that he has a good heart in him. I wonder, has any action been taken against the disgusting creatures which stoned the birds family to death?

I think it is wonderful that you have taken in this crow, and I hope that the outcome of its recovery is as good as it can be.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Rod,

The fact that your Rod Junior stepped in to save this bird proves that he has a good heart in him. I wonder, has any action been taken against the disgusting creatures which stoned the birds family to death?

I think it is wonderful that you have taken in this crow, and I hope that the outcome of its recovery is as good as it can be.

One crow in a UPS parcel on its way over to you right now mate...

Tonight we are evacuating the large dog pen we have behind the house and Terence is going into it as he/she has stunk our garage out...

A perpetual poo machine if there ever was one?

We will see if Terence is still there tomorrow squawking his/her head off or if he/she is buggered off to find better living...

Kindest respects

Rod

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   

I wonder, has any action been taken against the disgusting creatures which stoned the birds family to death?

I forgot to mention mate.

Rod Jr is not the violent type at all but him and his mates made sure that the 3 x 13 to 15 year old guys who thought it was fun to kill the parents will not think about acting this way again for a very long time...

Sadly there is not much that the local equivalent of the RSPCA can do over here if there is no filmed proof (plus they are underage)... but I think that the good arse kicking that those teenagers got will be more than enough to make them think twice next time they try out their testosterone filled "look at me aint I hard" acts...

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 12/6/14 by Rodinus because: Crap spelling

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Bloody good show. Can't have ruffians going about stoning innocent animals to death. That's the sort of behaviour one expects from sociopaths, and generally, they deserve whatever rump whooping they receive for such behaviour! Go Rod Jr!

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   
My uncles raised crows as well...such awesome birds.

He had one crow named Scooter and he'd eat ground beef. Luckily i didn't get clawed up as Scooter's claws were trimmed.

Sadly the poor thing died after a cat or mink got him, a poor flier despite the healthy stuff he'd eat.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join