It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA scientists reveal 3D model of warp drive ship that can get to Alpha Centuri in 2 weeks 8| *pics

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ophiuchus 13
a reply to: undo

Acceptable LOGIC

hey i'm convincing my kids, as we speak, to go into engineering and warp drive physics. hehe

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I'd rather see research into nuclear fission/fusion drives.

Like this:
www.theregister.co.uk - NASA-backed fusion engine could cut Mars trip down to 30 days...
www.space.com - High-Tech VASIMR Rocket Engine Could Tackle Mars Trips, Space Junk and More...

Taking that long-haul approach to planting feet on Mars is a nonstarter, Chang-Díaz said. "I think we need to give the astronauts a fighting chance. That's why I believe we ought to do the technology development before we keep talking about Mars."

Using a VASIMR engine to make a superfast Mars run would require incorporating a nuclear reactor that cranks out megawatts of power, Chang-Díaz said, adding that developing this type of powerful reactor should be high on the nation's to-do list.

Ya, we're a long ways from achieving fusion propulsion, but I think we're even further away from creating spaceships that can warm space/time.
edit on 11-6-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
i always thought it was funny that nasa and nazi were so close considering the scientists were comprised of so many ex nazi's

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I can't help but think that if there are intelligent beings that are capable of interstellar travel, this should scare the crap out of them. If we become an interstellar species before achieving peace on our own planet, our war mentality is would be a huge threat to all other species in the galaxy. On that same line of thought, if all the nations were to divert funds and resources form their militaries to the exploration of space we, how far could we go?

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: borracho

Greed and heedless ambition and resource exploitation and all those other bad things associated with humans are probably the reason we're even alive. I doubt aliens achieved the technology to travel between the stars without first greedily wanting it so they could exploit what's out there.

It's not doubt they'd feel threatened, if they exist. We're like them. What's a predator do if it has potential competition and no easy exit? It'll seek either to kill us or take away our claws. Killing us is probably eaiser.

Sorry to say but power most often is for those who're willing to take it from the cold dead hands of their adversary. Either that or their adversary willingly (and cowardly) gives up the power to survive.

Only other option is to be at the mercy of them. Our overlords.

Is assuming there's anybody out there who gives a ****.

This is why Steven Hawking recently said he hopes we don't have contact. There's too great a chance the aliens would have all the power and not respect us. In negotiation, we'd have no sway. They could push us around without consequence. He used hte example of the Europeans storming North America and overpowering the Native American Indians.

He might be wrong. Maybe 10,000 years from now we'll find out there're no greater than us. And even if there're, maybe they're weak in the knee. And finding ANY life at all is not a certainty at this point.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: myselfaswell
a reply to: TiM3LoRd

I'm not trying to burst your warp drive bubble. What I'd like to know is how to circumvent the problem, and catastrophic results, of hitting things at that speed.

The image is, as I'm sure you've seen, a fleck of paint that nearly pierced the windscreen of the space shuttle some years ago.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

Easy - Deflector dish.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: borracho
I can't help but think that if there are intelligent beings that are capable of interstellar travel, this should scare the crap out of them. If we become an interstellar species before achieving peace on our own planet, our war mentality is would be a huge threat to all other species in the galaxy. On that same line of thought, if all the nations were to divert funds and resources form their militaries to the exploration of space we, how far could we go?

No kidding.

"Oh super, the simian meat puppets are coming to rape and kill us, and pollute our planet. Power up the antimatter cannon."

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I'm not pinning my hopes on warp drive at this moment, because basically...their should be no need for warp drive --- for an interstellar capable starship --- that depends on black hole propulsion unit onboard, is all that should be logically needed for a starship to ply our galaxy; which is probably being done at this very moment.
edit on 11-6-2014 by Erno86 because: spelling

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

if it was indeed within one of these bubbles the ambient light would also have bent around it along with the bullets and the light reflected off the bullets etc. basically the ship shouldve been invisible with no apparent effect on the bullets trajectory.

since the object was visible and the bullets appeared to be guided around it, the technology causing it would seemingly only effect objects with mass, or its just some kind of matrix like power to selectively influence surrounding objects as desired.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

It's a product of their imagination, not real.

Their work is still in the experimental stages but that doesn't mean they can't imagine already what the real life Enterprise ship should look like - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

You do know that at one point, the space shuttle was no more than imagination before becoming a similar toy-like model, right?

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Snoopy1978
The space shuttle also started as a concept, yes. However I think the difference is, we thought the engineering of the space shuttle was within our reach when we came up with the idea.

We have no idea if engineering a warp drive ship is even possible. I like Harold White's ideas about warp drive, but they are a lot further from implementation than any concept of the shuttle ever was. His Q-drive ideas may be a closer to implementation but still a ways off.

edit on 11-6-2014 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

That's way cool, now if we can just stop blowing each other up and ting, mebbe we can build this and explore/infest the stars together etc etc

It also reminds me very much of the "Sisters of Eve" ships from Eve Online

Yours for only a few hours of grind!

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs
i always thought it was funny that nasa and nazi were so close considering the scientists were comprised of so many ex nazi's

Not funny and not a coincidence - NASA is far more Nazi than anyone wanted to admit, then or now. Project Paperclip was at first touted as a way to get our hands on 'German technical genius' but it also loaded our scientific military programs with Nazi-style thought processes...and we've been at one kind of war or another ever since.

And yeah, this sounds to me more like controlled Disclosure than wishful theoretical thinking. Richard Dolan's Breakaway Civilization technology being slowly revealed to the amazed public?

I wonder who is inhabiting all those quantum bubbles we're planning on traveling through? Now, THAT should be a surprise on both sides. Almost by definition, zinging through space-time changes the composition and continuity of both.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: signalfire

originally posted by: Biigs

Not funny and not a coincidence - NASA is far more Nazi than anyone wanted to admit, then or now. Project Paperclip was at first touted as a way to get our hands on 'German technical genius' but it also loaded our scientific military programs with Nazi-style thought processes...and we've been at one kind of war or another ever since.

And yeah, this sounds to me more like controlled Disclosure than wishful theoretical thinking. Richard Dolan's Breakaway Civilization technology being slowly revealed to the amazed public?

I wonder who is inhabiting all those quantum bubbles we're planning on traveling through? Now, THAT should be a surprise on both sides. Almost by definition, zinging through space-time changes the composition and continuity of both.

as the saying goes in Australia.

Now we're cooking with gas.

Very good question.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Pimpintology

The difference between them and us is not the same as the difference between us and an ant, I would say that the difference is more like between us and monkeys(which is still quite a few years away, if you assume evolution works exactly the way it does). The key is to have that one genetic mutation where most of us can think like Einstein, or at least Newton. Perhaps if we behave, then they can "make it happen" quicker.

Also, I don't think they care much about us backstabbing them. They wouldn't be giving us hints or "inspire" us(by that I mean when you sit there at night, an idea comes into your head, or when Newton sits under a tree, they cause the apple to fall in front of him, leading him to conclude that the force that caused the apple to fall is the same force that causes the Earth to rotate around the Sun), if they knew we would use the technology against them. Even if we could surpass them, there are gods that are at higher levels than them, so it's not like we can just keep getting away with it.

Anyway, I recommend people playing the game Star Ocean Till the end of Time. In it, there's a concept where if you "erase space," you release an unimaginable amount of energy. Just as we had to abandon the concept the Earth is flat, we have to abandon the concept of space as being nothing or "straight."

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: snarfbot
There have been ufo reports where light from a headlight lamp was bent towards the object. Needless to say, it's a UFO report, so any description should be taken with a grain of salt.

IMHO, it'd be better to leave UFO's out of this discussion. Far as I know, there's know evidence to make UFO's worthy of anything except entertainment. BUT warp bubbles are verging on entertainment... And warp bubbles for a practical spaceship are definitely entertainment.

WHICH is why I mentioned about the fusion propulsion possiblity. While it's verging on entertainment, it's got more meat, I think.

Solar sails are another topic in the same vein. And like fusion propulsion possiblities certain prototypes have already been tested.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jukiodone
Just from a practical perspective, what happens to time when you fold space?

Not only that, what happens to all the stuff in-between the two points you're trying to bring together? Crushing, I assume. What's it supposed to do then? Spring back to regular size once the power is off?

And just how do you separate your ship from the crushing? So you not only would need to generate enough power to bend space, you'll also need who knows how much power to pull your own ship out of that bent spacetime, then put it back in when the trip is over.

edit on 11-6-2014 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Bravo and I'm glad Harold White's ideas about Warp Drive.We need to remember that history is littered with people who claim this will never happen.

"Professor Goddard...does not know the relation of action to re-action, and the need to have something better than a vacuum against which to react....he only seems to lack the knowledge ladled out daily in high schools."
-- 1920 New York Times editorial on Robert Goddard's rocket work. [The New York Times printed a retraction to this---in 1969, when the Apollo 11 astronauts were on their way to the Moon.]

"While theoretically and technically television may be feasible, commercially and financially I consider it an impossibility, a development of which we need waste little time dreaming."
-- Lee De Forest, 1926

"X-rays will prove to be a hoax."
-- Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895

"Radio has no future."
-- Lord Kelvin

"Heavier than air flying machines are impossible."
-- Lord Kelvin

"Flight by machines heavier than air is impractical and insignificant, if not utterly impossible."
-- Simon Newcomb, Director, U.S. Naval Observatory, 1902

"Aerial flight is one of that class of problems with which man will never be able to cope."
-- Simon Newcomb, 1903

"There is no hope for the fanciful idea of reaching the Moon because of insurmountable barriers to escaping the Earth's gravity."
-- Forest Ray Moulton, astronomer, 1932

I always cringe when people say this could never happen or that will be impossible. There's just too much uncertainty about the nature of reality to make these kind of declarations.

I personally don't see any problem with warp drive. I think Scientist will eventually figure these things out.

edit on 11-6-2014 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   
A very cool thread OP. Thanks for posting the information. It was very informative.
I had no idea the energy requirements were so relatively modest to achieve warp drive.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
This is maybe a bit off topic. I had an old man,.

You had an old man? Where did you get this old man? I want an old man too .I WANT MY OLD MAN NOW.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join