It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq crisis: Islamists force 500,000 to flee Mosul

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lostinthedarkness
a reply to: snarky412

What happened I thought Dear leader said Al-Qaeda was defeated ?

Do you think dear leader lied to us for political gain? He wouldn't do that would he ?

Yup Iraq was ready to stand on its own.

/ sarcasm off

I use to think Obama was poorly advised now I believe what he does is for a reason and not for our benefit.

Saddam might not have been the nicest person but he would never have allowed that to happen under his command
Of course, he himself would do that, but others would think twice when he was in power

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Thanks to you guys for keeping me up to date on the latest events!!
I really do appreciate it

This is not looking good for Iraq and all the work our troops did there

Hope the regular civilians stay safe, or as best as they can be for this situation
I can not imagine what they are going through

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123

From their we helped the iraqis out, help build infrastructure, provide economic aid and military training.

And that has played out nicely hasn't it? How is roughly 1 million citizens dead or now refugees being dictated to by extremists helping out the Iraqi's? The infrastructure has been blown to bits and the military are even scared of what they are seeing from the other side of the battle line. You didn't help the Iraqi's, you signed their death certificate.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

Here's the latest on the map:

Islamist Insurgents Advance Toward Baghdad

Latest updates -- not looking good at all

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse
I wish I could ask a few of the guys I used to play football with in school how they feel about this horror-
but I can't because they are dead.
In Iraq,Afghanistan,they died.
They died so the rest of us can let crazy mofos take over Iraq???

What the hell did they make the ultimate sacrifice for?
This upside down world makes me sick to the bones.

AAARgh humans can do better than this crap...

What you wrote should have every American outraged when it comes to this situation. Innocent Americans have paid with their lives and for what? A group of Islamic extremists to come in and commit worse atrocities that Saddam ever did? The last decade of war in the Middle East has been a waste of time and lives. The biggest terrorists in the world are our very own governments.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   
No matter how much Ukraine worried me, this worries me more. This is happening fast. If the whole country goes to aq, I don't see how we cannot intervene. If we don't, Iran will. Saudi Arabia seems to involved in Syria, they may intervene. Obama will vacillate until it's too late, but he will have no choice in the end. If all act true to form it's seems inevitable.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Latest updates -- not looking good at all

Looks like the ISIL leader is saying he's ready to attack Baghdad.

uk.news.yahoo.com...

Militants who stormed cities in northern and central Iraq now plan to launch a wave of attacks on the capital Baghdad, their leader has reportedly warned.

In a statement translated by intelligence officials, Abu Mohammed al Adnani, who heads the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIS), promised battle would "rage" in the city and Karbala further south.

The government is also asking for US support against the ISIL.

It came as officials in Iraq allegedly asked the US to consider air strikes, including drone attacks, to halt the militants' progress.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: buni11687

All those soldiers lives lost or maimed, suffering from PTSD and for what????
So a new group of terrorist can take over?

What a mess the US has made of Iraq
Never should have ousted Saddam...this would not be happening under his watch

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: snarky412
a reply to: buni11687

All those soldiers lives lost or maimed, suffering from PTSD and for what????
So a new group of terrorist can take over?

What a mess the US has made of Iraq
Never should have ousted Saddam...this would not be happening under his watch

I agree 100%.

Saddam was a disgusting person, but he atleast kept a small bit of stability in the region. Now the jihadists can basically run around and do whatever they want without anyone stopping them.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Saddam rolled his army on Kuwait. Instead of doing the right thing and transitioning power, he raised his middle finger to the Bush Dynasty. The guy needed to go and wouldn't. Not sure how history will finally portray his actions, but ultimately, it looks like his team's winning.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 01:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

Saddam rolled his army on Kuwait. Instead of doing the right thing and transitioning power, he raised his middle finger to the Bush Dynasty. The guy needed to go and wouldn't. Not sure how history will finally portray his actions, but ultimately, it looks like his team's winning.

I was referring to Bush Jr.'s invasion of Iraq, not Daddy Bush
That first war wasn't the problem...we went in and got it taken care of

It was searching for WMD and removing Saddam that I'm referring to

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 04:16 AM
link   
This crossed the wires a short time ago...

Iraq Sunni militant group vows to march on Baghdad

BAGHDAD (AP) — The al-Qaida-inspired group that led the charge in capturing two key Sunni-dominated cities in Iraq this week vowed Thursday to march on to Baghdad, raising fears about the Shiite-led government's ability to slow the assault following the insurgents' lightning gains.

Fighters from the militant group known as the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant on Wednesday took Saddam Hussein's hometown of Tikrit, as soldiers and security forces abandoned their posts and yielded ground once controlled by U.S. forces.

Hard to imagine..but Iraq could actually fall to this group. (sigh)

However this goes, it sounds like it'll be a lot of fighting ahead for both sides as well as the civilians caught in the middle.

So far, ISIL fighters have stuck to the Sunni heartland and former Sunni insurgent strongholds where people are already alienated by the Shiite-led government over allegations of discrimination and mistreatment. The militants also would likely meet far stronger resistance, not only from government forces but by Shiite militias if they tried to advance on the capital
Source

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 04:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

Ouch, Mosul can fall, even Fallujah > but if Baghdad goes Iran will dominate the region!

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   
This link explains how Isil have looted over $400 million from mosuls banks-they also have stolen loads of gold bars which now puts them at the top of the richest terrorists list.

There are also pics of looted US equipment,including humvees:

www.ibtimes.co.uk...

These terrorists were well armed to begin with,now they have captured warehouses filled with US war materiel,and have more money than they can count..

RT also reported that as well as guns,rocket launchers and humvees,the terrorist have also captured many tank shells,and even a load of hellfire missiles.

What a total disaster for the people of Iraq.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse
This link explains how Isil have looted over $400 million from mosuls banks-they also have stolen loads of gold bars which now puts them at the top of the richest terrorists list.

You say looted, I say that's how they're being payed. I have suspicions on who's paying them.

edit on k080106bamThu, 12 Jun 2014 08:01:10 -0500 by khimbar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: khimbar

You think the US has given them the green light on this?
I bloody hope not,but who knows anymore after them supporting jihadis in Syria and neo nazis in Ukraine...

Sky news was just reporting that the Iraqi air force are bombing insurgent positions around the city of Mosul.
I hope they slaughter them all.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

Ouch, Mosul can fall, even Fallujah > but if Baghdad goes Iran will dominate the region!

How do you figure?
ISIL is Sunni, Iran is Shia. At least the leaders are.
What a mess. Who didn't see this coming when the U.S. telegraphed the planned withdrawal date.
This is going to explode.
And to people who blame this on Bush or Obama, do you really think there is any difference between the two??
Both are the same side of an evil coin.
BTW...this is all predicted in an ancient Holy text.
Buckle up...its going to get rough.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Sky news just reported that 50 insurgent vehicles have surrounded Baji oil refinery-That is south of Mosul,and is very significant as its where ALL of Baghdads fuel comes from(according to Sky).
If Isil can take the refinery,they can cut off all fuel supplys to Baghdad.
It keeps getting worse by the minute today.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: DarknStormy
--
Be that as it may...

But you guys wanted the draw down, so you guys got it.

Mission over with. The Iraqi military should be held responsible for whatever happens next. These are full grown men, fully equipped an trained with american tax money.

Your right, look at the outcome.

Most countries that invade, conquer and wave goodbye...some don't even wave.

But as a world power, we felt some form of obligation, thus help rebuild the state. The world doesn't operate like that, infact its unheard of, empires of the past will laugh an sneer at us for that, but we did it anyways.

By all accounts an purposes, this is there problem now.

As other posters of ATS pointed out, that part of the world will never be free.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
We had no business being there in the first place. A half a million people flee instead of taking up arms to fight. That pretty much tells the story right there.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join