It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Waitress gets $1,000 tip only for Waffle House to deny her the tip

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Many of us would be fuming mad too if we were told no, you are not able to accept the tip
And $1,000 can go a long way for a working mother, but .....since this tip was on a credit card, the tip policy doesn't apply the same as with cash/checks for large amounts as shown here:

RALEIGH - Shaina Brown works the late shift at Waffle House, serving cups of second-wind coffee to wobbly diners with butane breath.

After seven years, she’s learned to coax a good tip with a smile and quick refill. Even the barroom crowd will throw her $5 extra.

But nothing short of greasy spoon magic can explain what happened at 3 a.m. on Mother’s Day, when a patron eating a Texas bacon patty melt called Brown over and said, “I’m going to bless you tonight.”

He paid his bill with a credit card and wrote $1,500 on the tip line, asking Brown to share $500 with a haggard-looking woman at a table nearby. Then he vanished into a cab, telling Brown, “You have a good spirit.”

Then he vanished into a cab, telling Brown, “You have a good spirit.”

Waffle House denies NC waitress a $1,000 tip from 'angel'

According to a Waffle House spokeswoman, they claim that large tips are refunded to patrons as a regular procedure. Generous tippers are asked to tip again by cash or check. The restaurant handles it that way, she explained, in case the customer decides to dispute the tip later or ask for a refund.

There is a good ending this story....the person that left her the tip had been found/contacted, and will write her a personal check so in the end, she will get her tip that she earned

What a let down that was at first by WH, especially if the employees were never told about policy regarding large tips via Credit Cards
At least it ended okay

Good for her....

And a special 'Thank You' to her Angel

edit on 10-6-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
They probably just don't want a chargeback a month later.

I could leave $1,000 tips all the time and then just charge it back after the waitress gets paid. Something like that does seem like it could be a little fishy and I bet they have been burned before.

I wouldn't hate on WH that much. She got her tip like you said.
edit on 2014/6/10 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: snarky412

My guess is they do that to prevent mistakes.

Waffle House is kinda a go to 3 AM sorta place in many areas.

Someone is drunk and means to leave a 10 dollar tip and writes it 10.00 only forgets the period. As you can see issues could arise quite easily.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
They probably just don't want a chargeback a month later.

I could leave $1,000 tips all the time and then just charge it back after the waitress gets paid. Something like that does seem like it could be a little fishy and I bet they have been burned before.

I wouldn't hate on WH that much. She got her tip like you said.

They need to explain their policy regarding credit cards tips -large amounts- to the waitresses up fropnt
Yes, I understand the 'why' behind it

But still, that young lady clearly did not know about the tip rules and even though she'll be getting her tip money, there was another person in the place that was supposed to be given $500 from the original tip of $1500

Yeah, it worked out....I'm not hating on WH, just the rules need to be made clear to the employees
We eat there quite often in out travels, due to they stay open late when we get off work
99.9% of the time, their cooks are really good!!
Just so dang cold in there!! LOL

And yes, we leave nice tips for both the cook and waitress

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Credit card companies have policies in place to prevent extra large tip mistakes, including making the restaurant liable in case of a chargeback. Waffle House hash browns aren't the only thing WH makes sure is covered.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
If anybody needs/deserves an extra tip on occasion, it is likely to be a WH waitress. I feel for them... a lot. I love eating there and back in my single, drinking days we would often arrive after last call to fill up on greasy goodies. Mmmmm. They have a hard way to go a lot of times. Truly.

I can't hate on the WH though, 3 soft scrambled eggs, 2 orders of bacon, order of toast, and hash browns smothered and covered hits this 100 lb. gal's belly like nothing else til this day. It's probably a good thing the nearest one is about 60 miles out. Excellent heart attack food without fail.

I'm glad the girl got her tip. I love awesome people!!
edit on 6/10/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

join