It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Majority Leader Cantor defeated in primary

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+34 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Wow I almost don't believe this, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor just lost the primary to a member of the Tea Party. This is great news as far as I'm concerned. Most every one of these career political hacks need to be thrown out of office. Maybe this trend will continue.

House Majority Leader Cantor defeated in primary

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) -- House Majority Leader Eric Cantor was defeated Tuesday by a little-known economics professor in Virginia's Republican primary, a stunning upset and major victory for the tea party.

Cantor is the second-most powerful member of the U.S. House and was seen by some as a possible successor to the House speaker.

His loss to Dave Brat, a political novice with little money marks a huge victory for the tea party movement, which supported Cantor just a few years ago.

Brat had been a thorn in Cantor's side on the campaign, casting the congressman as a Washington insider who isn't conservative enough. Last month, a feisty crowd of Brat supporters booed Cantor in front of his family at a local party convention.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Bassago

The GOP will be in shock, with this and with that Texas disaster on the gay marriage front, it looks like the far-right is back to running a lot of things in the party. The cable talk shows should be buzzing tonight. And if this is true, it was called real early. I didn't even know there was a primary today.

edit: Just to be clear, I'm not a member of the far-right, just sharing my thoughts on what the several factions of the GOP must be feeling tonight. I wonder who will be tearing each other apart for Cantor's seat. If he had tried a year or so ago he may have given Mr. B a good run for the Speakership chair. Now I'd guess, with a toss of the chicken bones and a look at the tea leaves, that he'll be working as a representative of K street.

A toast to those who are gone

edit on 10-6-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   

This has started out to be the angry week for me...but all of a sudden, I'm happy! Toss all the asshats!

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   

YAY!!
Maybe the people will have their say about the BS going in DC via the polls

I think that is great, a little nobody beat him out
There is hope after all

We need to clean house in both parties
Need new minds, fresh ideas
Get rid of these career politicians

+11 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I thought this was a spoof headline. Seriously.

Holy crap.

Well, I can only wish that this trend will continue.

If you think about it, every time there's another approval poll for Congress they get lower and lower, to the point where I think they might be nearing absolute zero. Yet the same people keep getting reelected.

To see that trend change with the number 2 guy? Absolutely awesome. Hopefully Pelosi and Boehner next.

+7 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Is this the same Tea Party that wants to "make kids straight" in Texas?

Or is it a different one? I don't know. I do know that all of these ass clowns that say they're for "smaller government" tend to take an intrusive view on what people can do in this own homes...

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   
An angel just got its wings!

Eric Cantor, take a hike!

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: snarky412

Agreed this is great news. I would also like to see this trend in both parties. Too bad the democrats don't have a group of true classical liberals to fight those lock step progressives.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I consider myself pretty conservative, but just look at the yabooheads that were suppoting Cantor.

American College of Radiology, the National Rifle Association and the National Association of Realtors

As a conservative...I say good riddance!

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Would not be jumping for joy here.

Just means next election cycle the Democrats have a better chance of taking Brat's place.

Pretty much like Scott Brown getting elected, and kicked to the curb on the next cycle.

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear

Or is it a different one? I don't know. I do know that all of these ass clowns that say they're for "smaller government" tend to take an intrusive view on what people can do in this own homes...

Who cares! This is a Virginia ballot, not a Texas one. Give it a break!

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex

originally posted by: the owlbear

Who cares! This is a Virginia ballot, not a Texas one. Give it a break!

Rise above...
Rise against...

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Virginia has open primary voting.

Virginia does not provide for voters to register by party. Virginia law requires "open" primaries that are not restricted based on party registration:

All persons qualified to vote... may vote at the primary. No person shall vote for the candidates of more than one party.

en.wikipedia.org...

Maybe Democrats voted out Cantor in order to win in the general election.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex
I consider myself pretty conservative, but just look at the yabooheads that were suppoting Cantor.

American College of Radiology, the National Rifle Association and the National Association of Realtors

As a conservative...I say good riddance!

Yep, good riddance to bad rubbish. While I don't support all the Tea Party positions and certainly don't fawn over the NRA anytime we can get rid of a career politician is a good time. Personally I'd pretty much vote anyone conservative and wanting smaller government as opposed to these status quo folks who have dragged our country into this mess.

link   

originally posted by: neo96
Would not be jumping for joy here.

Just means next election cycle the Democrats have a better chance of taking Brat's place.

Pretty much like Scott Brown getting elected, and kicked to the curb on the next cycle.

Still not voting for the lesser evil.

It has to start somewhere. It's time to kick these dumbasses of both parties out of office.

link   
Wow. He must be utterly disliked in his district for them to give up such a powerful rep in Congress.

Cue Tea Party scandals, handed to the press by a GOP running scared.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Just heard that Cantor outspent the new guy 25-1 (edit:Maddow just said it was 5-1) Edit (Kelly on FOX says 50-1). Big "L" on the poor guy's forehead. Maddow just said that some people are saying it's the biggest U.S. political upset in their lifetimes.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
And to think ?

The Gestapo IRS 'witch hunt' had little effect on the Tea Party.

I was wondering how effective that was.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

I'm telling ya. If I saw Cantor on the street, I might just punch his lights out. He is a coward, through and through. He's just in it for the money.

If he is kicked to the curb, I guarantee that he will become a lobbyist at the minimum.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Now it is obvious why Obama feared and tried to silence the Tea Party. The Tea party wants smaller government, a balanced budget, and accountability....none of which any democrat wants nor most of the long term republicans. Toss all incumbents out and start over with term limits!!!! Maybe there is still hope for our country.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join