It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Approves Initial Funding for a Submarine to Titan

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I have a pretty solid hunch we'll find a little more than microbes or bacteria. Whether or not NASA will inform the public, that however, is still up for debate.

We do know that creatures like crustaceans live near hydro thermal vents at extreme depths in the ocean. These creatures live off of the hydro carbons that are expelled from the vents.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

That was my thinking to. If Methane Ice Worms can reach two inches on our ocean floor then we could see something bigger on Titan Jellyfish come to mind as well.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Yes. Titan is a very extreme environment. So extreme even Earth's extremophiles would have a hard time.
edit on 3-7-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
a reply to: JadeStar

Its likely IF and thats a very BIG IF there life on Titan it will be confined only to microorganisms.

Exactly.

It is very hard to imagine anything bigger than that. But if something bigger than that somehow did evolve, it a) would be unlike anything on Earth and b) would not move fast, if it moved at all.

BTW: I am highly skeptical of liquid methane as a surrogate for water.

edit on 3-7-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

I have a pretty solid hunch we'll find a little more than microbes or bacteria. Whether or not NASA will inform the public, that however, is still up for debate.

I don't think there is ANY debate. This would be one of the greatest discoveries ever and could double or even increase their budget by a factor of 10.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

We do know that creatures like crustaceans live near hydro thermal vents at extreme depths in the ocean. These creatures live off of the hydro carbons that are expelled from the vents.

What is that hunch based on?

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

What she said ^^^^

I don't understand where this idea that NASA would "cover up" extraterrestrial life comes from. It makes absolutely no sense.

(Plus, if a probe discovered life, lots of people in mission control would know about it. You just try getting a bunch of space geeks to keep THAT little secret!)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Rob48

Non sentient life would be a nasa budget godsend..but i tend to believe the limited contact theory..we know something smarter is out there but thats about it.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Thorneblood

Hmm, we have to differ there. There's absolutely no evidence that "anything smarter" is out there. No contact, no signals, no nothing. I'm pretty sure there *is* life out there, but it's a loooooong way out there and it hasn't looked in on us yet. Probability says it likely never will, either.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rob48

What she said ^^^^

I don't understand where this idea that NASA would "cover up" extraterrestrial life comes from. It makes absolutely no sense.

(Plus, if a probe discovered life, lots of people in mission control would know about it. You just try getting a bunch of space geeks to keep THAT little secret!)

Exactly. Anyone who thinks NASA would cover up such a discover, or even be capable of covering up such a discovery need only review the events around ALH84001 (The "Mars Microbe" Meteorite) announcement back in the 1990s. Even the President couldn't keep his mouth shut about it

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Rob48

I suppose evidence is a matter of perspective but thats a whole other thread/forum lol.

This reminds me we are only a few months away from DAWNS next stop.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Why not liquid methane or hydrocarbons?

Why would it move slowly?

What about ammonia or some kind of acid?

Why not, for scale, something roughly the size of a basketball?

Cauz I curious, uis smrt.
edit on 5-7-2014 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-7-2014 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 04:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar
Yes. Titan is a very extreme environment. So extreme even Earth's extremophiles would have a hard time.

So why even bother? Seems like all that money and R&D would be better spent figuring out how to get a probe under the ice on Europa.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Cassini scientists have a reson to believe that there is an global underground ocean of water on Titan, although it would be very salty, like the Dead Sea. But there is life in the Dead Sea, and there might be life in Titan's undeground ocean.

Ocean on Saturn Moon Could be as Salty as the Dead Sea

Heat from the tidal action from Saturn, plus the many salts and substances dissolved in that water may well support life.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join