It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we have a referendum poll?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I for one would like to see a poll based on the Scottish Refefendum on September 18th. If possible, posed as the same question as the referendum itself. I would also think it important for everyone who votes to state sheir Scottish status (Scottish, Resident, Ex-pat, etc).

Anyone else think this is a good idea?

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Brilliant idea. I was thinking much along the same lines myself

It would be interesting to see how the vote would go on ATS from a much wider/worldwide community which might in some ways, given the parameters you are suggesting, give a much clearer and accurate poll result compared to those funded by the British tax payer but asked for by our government which is backing the no vote.

Please can we have a poll?

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I think it wouldn't be in any way representative, given that most of ATS are US based, additionally it would be more than tedious to get stats from it.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth
I think it wouldn't be in any way representative, given that most of ATS are US based, additionally it would be more than tedious to get stats from it.

I would imagine it would also be heavily distorted due to the general "anti-west", "anti-British" sentiment to found on here, not to mention the propensity of Americans in particular to equate the Scottish referendum with Braveheart and the "oppressive English" without having the slightest understanding of the History behind the Union.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason

Exactly.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 03:59 AM
link   

While I agree with you that every American whose room-mates aunties cousin once passed a Scotsman in an airport and they have seen Braveheart declares themselves Scottish, the reason for the breakdown in Scottish status would allow us to look at the results and see and discount for ourselves, the number of votes from people who wouldn't get a vote in the referendum for real.

Also, we could ask if the person would support a referendum on independence in their Country/State etc...

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Let the scots have their independence .. its long overdue ..

I like scotland been there a number of times in past .. tho ex-wife number five was scottish .. i dont hold her misconduct against scotland .. just learned my lesson dont get married while pub crawling in glasgow ...not to mention one of the finest drinks known to man drambui comes from scotland how could anyone not respect that .. erm ..

Back to you lot to discuss your referendum suddenly got thirsty here time for a pint .. or two ...

nope not scottish .. am japanese though hold dual japanese / u.s citizenship prefer using my japanese citizenship.. less embaressing and less hassle when travelling ..
edit on 11/6/14 by Expat888 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 05:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel
Brilliant idea. I was thinking much along the same lines myself

It would be interesting to see how the vote would go on ATS from a much wider/worldwide community which might in some ways, given the parameters you are suggesting, give a much clearer and accurate poll result compared to those funded by the British tax payer but asked for by our government which is backing the no vote.

Please can we have a poll?

Rainbows
Jane

Why would this be a good idea? For some people not in the UK their idea of Scottish independence is based on the absolute fantasy Mel Gibson tried to portray as history in Braveheart.

Are you sure the no vote is funded by the taxpayer and that the yes vote doesn't get equal funding from the taxpayer? Just wondering why if that was the case JK Rowling would have needed to donate £1 million pounds to the no vote if the taxpayer paid for it.

As for your point about a wider community, fat fish and squeeky fish won't let English people voice an opinion without labelling them as haters.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 05:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

While I agree with you that every American whose room-mates aunties cousin once passed a Scotsman in an airport and they have seen Braveheart declares themselves Scottish, the reason for the breakdown in Scottish status would allow us to look at the results and see and discount for ourselves, the number of votes from people who wouldn't get a vote in the referendum for real.

Also, we could ask if the person would support a referendum on independence in their Country/State etc...

You know how accurate Braveheart is, right? Start with the words 'not very' and go from there. Shouldn't really expect more from Gibson I guess, if you are female, Jewish or English he treats you with contempt.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 05:53 AM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

You said this...

Are you sure the no vote is funded by the taxpayer and that the yes vote doesn't get equal funding from the taxpayer? -

In response to this.....

a much clearer and accurate poll result compared to those funded by the British tax payer but asked for by our government which is backing the no vote.

The POLLS in this country in this particular instance, are funded by the British taxpayer at the behest of the Government which is backing the NO campaign. I made no reference to the funding of the actual campaigns. That £50,000 poll was carried out in February and summarily 'buried' by the UK Government because it showed the YES campaign marginally in the lead....so questions were asked in Parliament as to what right the Government (backing the No vote) who spent tax payers money buried/ didn't reveal to the country the result of that vote.

And given that our Government has been caught out getting a BBC reporter to ask Obama his views, in a pre-arranged agreement by all 3 parties involved in that 'set up'....both the government and the BBC are in breach of the BBC broadcasting charter which is funded by British license payers and by their operators license are to be totally politically unbiased.

So yes....getting a totally unbiased poll on here would be interesting.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   

And given that our Government has been caught out getting a BBC reporter to ask Obama his views, in a pre-arranged agreement by all 3 parties involved in that 'set up'....both the government and the BBC are in breach of the BBC broadcasting charter which is funded by British license payers and by their operators license are to be totally politically unbiased.

Rainbows
Jane

Sorry, can you provide information on where the BBC had been told to ask Obama that question? Any factual source will be fine. Why is asking that question politically biased? Do you not think another reporter from another company would not have asked it?

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

Good idea, I'd back you on that. It would be great to see how ATS votes.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Regardless of nationality, a poll would be interesting. We all watch the same news, get bombarded with the same (mis)information regardless where we live.

Perhaps an actual poll might provide a forum to clear up any misconceptions people may have.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Certainly....you can start with this thread...
www.abovetopsecret.com...
which has news links about it.

Also this for example....

Few will appreciate that Obama's comment was prepared after a request from Downing Street. The BBC were briefed to ask, because Downing Street knew they would be in receipt of an answer they could spin into another anti-independence story.

newsnetscotland.com...

For a state broadcaster, with a legal obligation to neutrality in the referendum campaign, actively to participate in a stunt plainly aimed to boost one side in the campaign is beyond disgraceful. There is obviously a realisation at the BBC that they have done something very wrong indeed – all of the BBC’s own coverage with unprecedented reticence omitted totally the fact that it was the BBC that asked the question.

www.craigmurray.org.uk...

And this directly from the Charter itself....

The Agreement
The Agreement with the Secretary of State sits alongside the Charter. It provides detail on many of the topics outlined in the Charter and also covers the BBC's funding and its regulatory duties. The Agreement is an important constitutional document because together with the Charter, it establishes the BBC's independence from the Government.

Bolded part mine.

BBC Charter

That OK for you?

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Certainly....you can start with this thread...
www.abovetopsecret.com...
which has news links about it.

Also this for example....

Few will appreciate that Obama's comment was prepared after a request from Downing Street. The BBC were briefed to ask, because Downing Street knew they would be in receipt of an answer they could spin into another anti-independence story.

newsnetscotland.com...

For a state broadcaster, with a legal obligation to neutrality in the referendum campaign, actively to participate in a stunt plainly aimed to boost one side in the campaign is beyond disgraceful. There is obviously a realisation at the BBC that they have done something very wrong indeed – all of the BBC’s own coverage with unprecedented reticence omitted totally the fact that it was the BBC that asked the question.

www.craigmurray.org.uk...

And this directly from the Charter itself....

The Agreement
The Agreement with the Secretary of State sits alongside the Charter. It provides detail on many of the topics outlined in the Charter and also covers the BBC's funding and its regulatory duties. The Agreement is an important constitutional document because together with the Charter, it establishes the BBC's independence from the Government.

Bolded part mine.

BBC Charter

That OK for you?

Rainbows
Jane

Thank you for providing that. The wonderfully unbiased newsnetscotland site doesn't give facts and I'm afraid I'm not sure I could trust it to being anything other than a claim it can't actually back up.... hmm, I usually reserve that comment for Salmond when talking about this subject

edit on 11-6-2014 by uncommitted because: typo

And another ETA, that pro independence, anti BBC as a competitor vote site you gave the link to suggests the government told Obama what to say and then forced the BBC to ask the question, yet it gives no proof of either..... is that really something you call proof that this is what happened?
edit on 11-6-2014 by uncommitted because: see ETA

edit on 11-6-2014 by uncommitted because: wording

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I suppose you'll say Sky news is nonsense too?

news.sky.com...

In any event, if you want to pick on one teny weeny aspect of the whole Independence campaign by either side, then I thank you for making it more glaringly obvious that having a poll on ATS would indeed serve a very good purpose.

Are you a UK resident by the way?

Rainbows
Jane

edit on 11-6-2014 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

"It would be great to see how ATS votes."
Agreed , but one problem might be that a large number of ATS members like me wouldn't participate because they recognize their distance from the subject and the fact they'd likely make a bad decision because they can't get quality information about the forces at play in this. It strikes me as being exceptionally localized and therefore remote to those of us who haven't lived in the situation.

Its kinda like the Ukraine situation. Its taken me months of digging to even begin to understand some of the ins and outs of all the local politics at work in Ukraine and even after that study, I'm cautious about commenting because I'm not quite sure I've gotten it correct relative to the historical context of the tensions in the region.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   

I suppose you'll say Sky news is nonsense too?

news.sky.com...

Are you a UK resident by the way?

Rainbows
Jane

Actually, read what it says in that page - "Sky's Niall Paterson, in Edinburgh, said: "I have been speaking with a very senior source in the Scottish government who tells me he recently had a conversation with a similarly senior source within the US administration"

So someone from within SNP (I assume) told someone from Sky that he had been talking to someone in the US government who told him that.... and again, a source said a source told him/her something - and that is good enough for you?

Doesn't really mean too much anyway - I'm sure not a word passes Salmond or Sturgeons orifices that isn't rehearsed to say what their supporters want to hear rather than the facts.

Yes, I'm a UK resident, but as I live in England I don't get a say to what happens as part of the wider UK.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   
It's not American and it's not talking about Obama being a Muslim, Communist, Satanist, Atheist Dictator so not sure it would get enough attention.

Would be interesting but I'd place a bet that it would be at least 80% in favour of Scottish independence.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Well if you are not bothered either way, and don't have any interest in doing some research, then the poll is of no interest to you either then is it?

There are many many polls on ATS, some of which I am interested in and do my research and I participate, others don't interest or have any relevance to me or the country I live in so I don't.

Simples.
Rainbows
Jane

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join