It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA Bans Cheese - Really

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I make my own Mozzerella and Ricotta, and was toying with possibly making more difficult cheeses. Hmmmm. Maybe I can get into the bootleg cheese business! whooo Hooo!
edit on 6/10/2014 by Lolliek because: Space correction

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   
As usual, ATS has it wrong, hell we even have a couple of mods in here jumping on the bandwagon.

Here's a copy of a letter sent to a cheese maker in New York, where this probably all started..

The letter: www.fda.gov...

On June 19, 2012, the FDA informed your firm of the environmental sampling results. Your firm indicated that you would stop production to clean and sanitize your facility. During the July 2012 inspection of your facility, an FDA investigator observed the following significant violations of the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulation for foods [21 CFR Part 110]:

1. You failed to clean food-contact surfaces as frequently as necessary to protect against contamination of food as required by 21 CFR 110.35(d). You failed to clean and sanitize all of the wooden boards used to hold your Gouda-style cheese in the large aging cave even after FDA informed you of positive L. monocytogenes results found on one of these boards.

2. You failed to clean non-food contact surfaces of your facility as frequently as necessary to protect against contamination of food as required by 21 CFR 110.35(d)(3). You failed to clean any of the metal racks in the large aging cave used to hold the wooden boards (used to hold cheese) even after FDA informed you of positive L. monocytogenes results found on one of these racks.

Failed to clean.

No where does it state that using wood wasn't allowed, rather that this particular place failed to maintain any kind of sanitation.

Seriously, doesn't ANYONE bother to fact check any more?

edit on 10-6-2014 by AlphaHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: AlphaHawk

Thanks for denying the ignorance.

On the other hand, the threat does seem credible, once the Department of Agriculture outlawed the private slopping of ones own hogs (feeding them table scraps), a practice that is certainly thousands of years old.

I know folks who are making and selling/barter black market foods. It started with eggs and raw milk (technically legal in my state). Now they sell cheese, bread, vegetables and quarters of beef. No health inspectors, but you buy it out of their own kitchen, from their back door. No business license, no taxes, no problem.

Best tasting stuff you ever had by the way.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

And the head of the fda is....drumroll....

Michael R. Taylor. Former lawyer for monsanto.

Just sayin....

Mmmhmm. That needs to be repeated and repeated and repeated. Unreal.

Repeated.

Still hasn't been repeated enough, so I am throwing in my repeat.

I irritates me to know end, that I am told that I can't drink raw milk from a dairy that has higher cleanliness standards than any factory farm by far, but I can drink pesticide and hormone laden milk produced by sick and unhealthy cows who may have never even seen the light of day and and has never experienced what is like to be outside a tiny pen with not enough room to even turn around.

Quality cheese made with natural ingredients = Bad

Chemicals labeled cheese especially that stuff that comes in a spray can = Good

Where is the exit sign for this version of reality? I don't like it.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: tovenar

No doubt it is, but why should one place spend the time and money to keep their premises sanitary and the health inspectors off their backs so customers don't get sick while others don't?

If I recall, a lot of these places have memberships whereby part of that membership is that you don't report them or sue them if you get sick from their food, that idiot from California was an example of that, despite the fact that raw milk is legal in that state, he decided he was above the law and sold it "illegally", Michael Adams the health wanker had a field day with that, falsely claiming the FDA cracked down on him because he was selling raw milk, not because he was doing it on the dodge.

This story is exactly the same, and I bet the health wanker is all over this one like a bad smelling cheese too.

In summary:

A handful of New York cheese makers get done for unsanitary practices, more than once, they said they would shut down operations and clean up their act, they didn't, they even had to recall some of the produce, and that somehow turned into "The FDA is banning all cheese made on wooden shelves".

edit on 10-6-2014 by AlphaHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: calstorm

Quality cheese made with natural ingredients = Bad

Nope, bad cheese that had to be recalled = Bad

Read the thread.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   

It's all about manufactured outrage in here nowadays. Thanks, Obama!!!

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Man, I can only imagine what would happen here in Belgium if cheese was prohibited. We have tons of different belgian cheese, then we have all the different cheese that come from france, then all the different cheese that come from the netherlands, then all the different cheese that come from switzerland ! I can't live without cheese ! You have the land of the free and the brave, but we have the land of the cheese !

We don't have many guns here like you have, but we would destroy the government with sticks and stones if they ever dare to prohibit cheese, lol

On a serious note, your government is corrupt to the bones, but we already knew that.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee
a reply to: Lostinthedarkness

I found a ton of artisan cheese makers who don't use wood, personally I don't see how wood could add anything to the cheese.
www.kansascity.com...
Cleaner...

Well, yes, some cheese can be made on steel, particularly the big corp, bs varieties (and some fresh cheeses like fresh goat cheese). But a LOT of it can't. That's like saying a steak is just the same baked as it is grilled. It's not the same. This effectively bans most cheeses not made in the processed big corp variety.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: pirhanna

Some well aged cheeses depend on the wood for developing their distinct flavors.

This is stupidity implemented by paper pushers, following the demands of money grubbers....

Des

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: OrphanApology
a reply to: Char-Lee

host.madison.com...

From this link:

Cheese’s unique taste comes from aging on boards with cultures that have been on wood for generations, said Myron Olson, the owner of the Chalet Cheese Cooperative in Monroe that is the only American producer of Limburger cheese.

The bacteria on the wood plays a big role in creating the smell and taste of the cheeses aged on it. “It overpowers everything,” said Olson. “It’s entrenched and it doesn’t give itself up to other bacteria. It’s very hardy.

Add some dirty socks...better that way.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlphaHawk
As usual, ATS has it wrong, hell we even have a couple of mods in here jumping on the bandwagon.

Here's a copy of a letter sent to a cheese maker in New York, where this probably all started..

The letter: www.fda.gov...

Actually, you are the one that needs to fact check, because you didn't even read the article or the supporting articles. The FDA now "Seems to be backing down" according to Forbes, but has not done so yet.

This is from Forbes.com

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued an executive decree banning the centuries old practice of aging cheese on wooden boards. One bureaucrat within the FDA, without surveying all of the scientific literature, and without public commentary, has rattled hundreds of small businesses across the United States. Consumers who eat any kind of aged cheese should prepare for a potentially catastrophic disruption in the market for artisan, non-processed cheese.

UPDATE: The FDA appears to be backing down, full coverage here.

The FDA’s decision will not only harm American cheese makers, but may also bring a halt to the importation of artisan cheeses from abroa

So, before you go and act like I'm not checking things, try reading anything that was linked. You know, anything.

Seriously, read into it. Deny ignorance indeed.

FDA Backs Down (Or do they?)

edit on 10-6-2014 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientiaFortisDefendit

Don't worry, besides the sensational title of the thread, they aren't banning any cheese, what so ever. They are simply banning a practice of aging cheeses. No cheese being banned, at all-Really.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: sputniksteve
a reply to: ScientiaFortisDefendit

Don't worry, besides the sensational title of the thread, they aren't banning any cheese, what so ever. They are simply banning a practice of aging cheeses. No cheese being banned, at all-Really.

Not so my friend. When you make a rule that changes the flavor of a cheese. A flavor that has been noted for any particular cheese that uses the board method...that cheese...exact cheese...no longer exists.

So, it has been banned, no other way to call it.

Des

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: sputniksteve

apparently you don't understand cheesemaking.
2nd line.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 11:59 PM
link   

You are correct, I was mainly just browsing through the comments and missed your post. But my opinion of the FDA and the things they allow versus the things they ban still stands.
edit on 11-6-2014 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: calstorm

You are correct, I was mainly just browsing through the comments and missed your post. But my opinion of the FDA and the things they allow versus the things they ban still stands.

Alphahawk is totally incorrect. I checked my facts.
Read the articles and links within them please.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

Only in America......

Go home FDA, you're drunk - you remind me of the obsessive mother who can't stand the thought of her children playing in dirt.

It's all good for hundreds of years, until now.

Good move

Man not to get off topic, but that picture is so incredibly deceptive it is not even funny. First of all, most of the fire arms are not "Automatic Weapons" but Semi Automatic weapons. To obtain and own an automatic weapon is incredibly expensive. around $15,000.00. An automatic weapon is what is commonly though of as a Machine gun, pull the trigger once and more than one round leaves the gun. A semi automatic weapon requires a pull of the trigger each time a round is fired.

I understand and appreciate the attempt at humor in the picture though.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Hey bro, where do you think I got the letter from?

www.forbes.com...

Now, read what I said and then what the FDA statement you linked to says.

It was about cleaning and sanitary of wooden shelves, not about banning them, or the cheese made on wooden shelves.

And before you try and one up me, if you knew the FDA had backed down and clarified their position, why didn't you post it?

What game are you playing at here?

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   
edit after reading above post: so they're not banning the cheese nor the process of the wooden shelves, just some sanitary regulations? Tha's not bad.
edit on 11-6-2014 by Richardus because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join