It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Gun Violence an Epidemic?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Gun violence can't be an 'epidemic'.

First off we have that law that says we can't go around murdering people.

Then they created thousands of more laws that make it more 'illegal' to go around murdering people.

So gun violence can't be happening here.

It is AGAINST the law!

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: blargo
Here is another metric that contributes to what people think about increased gun violence, School Shootings Over Time

Really interesting data for US going back to the 1800's. But here is what caught my eye:

Decade #of incidents
1990's 36
2000's 48
2010's 98 so far

That is a HUGE uptick of school shootings.

Ok. So I went through your list of "school shootings" and I find it rather remarkable that a suicide from a principal is included. Crimes that happened to take place on school property that involved no students. After school hours shootings that took place NEAR schools. And things like that.

The entire list is rife with crap like that. You make it sound like a school shooting happens every single day. A Columbine or Sandy Hook.

This is not the case. It is important to be able to properly parse data. You have managed to provide misleading information by not even reading the information you provided.

Here's a link you might be interested in:

Journalist sets Everytown and Moms Demand Action straight on school shooting numbers
edit on pTue, 10 Jun 2014 22:31:31 -0500201410America/Chicago2014-06-10T22:31:31-05:0030vx6 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

edit on pTue, 10 Jun 2014 23:58:19 -0500201410America/Chicago2014-06-10T23:58:19-05:0030vx6 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
The main reason gun violence is so popular right now is that the media and people like us give it so much attention. Attention is the main thing these people want and we continue to give it to them with no end in sight.

The real question is if media sensationalism is causing an epidemic in gun violence? I think the answer is yes.

YES! People make these lunatics famous and that creates copycats.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
I only disagree with you because the definition of poverty has changed over the years. Of course anyone who points out this fact is immediately labeled a hater or greedy or some other emotional mumbojumbo buzz-term because this fact is inconvenient for certain politically minded folks to address. 30 years ago, poverty meant no phone, no cable, no car (or a POS car and no $$$ for gas), no fashions, and often no smoke and no drink. I will say someone who is "poor" may be able to have some of the luxuries I mention today... but impoverished? Hell no.

I'm very poor. I'm below even the bottom 1% of wage earners in the US. I work, I just don't get paid much. I have a phone and I have a computer, the computer was bought through a scholarship and my phone is a prepay that costs me about $10/month. I have no tv, no cable, no internet (though I do pirate a signal), no car, have never bought a new piece of clothing in my adult life (and it's been 5 years since I've even gotten something used), nothing to smoke, and by drink you mean alcohol but the only drink I can afford is water (and about 1 latte a week). That's just the way it is.

I would also say that, if we're no longer 1st world, why in the blue hell is there an ever increasing exodus of iullegals barging into the US?

Because Mexico is actually run by a bunch of drug cartels and is an even worse place than the US.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Eric holder in 1995- "we need to do this every day of the week to really BRAINWASH people into thinking about guns in a vastly different way."
youtu.be...
edit on 6/10/2014 by concerned190 because: Add quote

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   

1990's 36

How the hell was that ?

That was when CLintons AWSB of the 90s was in full effect.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Stop saying: "gun violence"...

It is a Liberal phrase that misdirects the whole issue...

An inanimate object cannot be violent,... which is precisely the point ...

Humans CAN be violent... and that IS the point...

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
I don't know...but I'm ready to put up a fence and separate the two factions. Let gun advocates reap what they sow and leave the rest of us alone. After a while, we'll be able to take down the fence....

Wouldn't many criminals just go over to the side of no guns since it would easier robbing people who will be un-armed instead of people who are going to armed? I would think the people who are usually involved in the killings/serious crimes are hardcore criminals, had a rough childhood, and probably been in more fights then their innocent victim so I don't think criminals would worry to much about Mr. Joe Schmo defending themselves. Maybe someone who knows more about criminals can answer this who would you rather rob/kill?

these guys

or

this guy
edit on 10-6-2014 by nancyliedersdeaddog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Lets compare gun fatalities to something else...

U.S. Gun deaths per 100,00/year: 3.60 (2011)

U.S. Motor vehicle deaths per 100,000/year: 10.39 (2011)

Yet, you don't see vehicle fatalities plastered all over the news for days, every time someone dies in an accident or people calling for bans on motor vehicles.
It's almost as if there's an agenda......

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 11:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: concerned190
Eric holder in 1995- "we need to do this every day of the week to really BRAINWASH people into thinking about guns in a vastly different way."
youtu.be...

It's being done on purpose. The way above did not work so now they trying a different way.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Here's a chart to further illustrate my main point:

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I know a quick way anyone can get 15 minutes of fame..... So in itself is a big problem, instant fame and copycat killings is driving much of this.

The problem is our societal violence and guns, knives, bats, cars etc all just the tools that people use to play out this violent behavior. There seems to be a percentage of people in America that just want to kill, period, and I do not think guns in general has anything to do about that attitude.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Considering such a small percentage are killed by gun violence imagine how much smaller the percentage is of people who actually commit gun violence.

There is a percentage of people who sexually enjoy being pissed on.

However, as disturbing as this is to me, it's no more relevant.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: TiedDestructor
a reply to: Xtrozero

Considering such a small percentage are killed by gun violence imagine how much smaller the percentage is of people who actually commit gun violence.

There is a percentage of people who sexually enjoy being pissed on.

However, as disturbing as this is to me, it's no more relevant.

Just looking at this resent OR school shooting. The guy for some reason really wanted to kill the other guy then he committed suicide. Front page news across America, because it was school shooting, but the 40 dead last weekend in Chicago goes un-noticed.

The guy could have used a car too after school, or went to the guys house and did it, but he picked the school and for good reason, he wanted to make a point, and he wanted all America to know it.
edit on 11-6-2014 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
Here's a chart to further illustrate my main point:

It is amazing how the Brady Bill came and went with little or no influence to the crime rate.

An interesting point made in the book SuperFreakonomics is that the fall of crime starting in 1994 and continuing even today with little change in how things are done to control crime is a little over 20 years after abortions became legal. They suggest in their books that millions of babies have been aborted that would have grownup in very bad environments.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   
80% of gun homicides are gang-related. According to the Center for Disease Control.

All of our idiot politicians including the biggest liars of them all, are not interested in stopping gun deaths AT ALL.

If they were, they would be making more solutions targeting the GANG problem in big cities and where most gun deaths occur like CHICAGO ,etc..

Because they aren't and haven't done this, proves what absolute LIARS Obama and his henchmen and hired HAGS are.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shadow22
80% of gun homicides are gang-related. According to the Center for Disease Control.

I would be shocked to see a federal program against gang violence. Obama will not do a thing against minority voters even when Mr. Chicago himself knows full and well where a good chunk of our violent problems exist.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 01:08 AM
link   
a reply to: blargo
I have been told by several posters that their inaliable right to own a gun exceeds others right to life,The US will never fix the problem I note with due interest the concealed carry guy who tried to intervene at Walmart got himself killed sort of a spanner in the most common argument but I digress,there is a scene in Reservoir Dogs where everyone has a gun it doesn't end well.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 01:36 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Stay armed, my friends

Just a little info to add. (defensive gun uses)

en.wikipedia.org...

Estimates over the number of defensive gun uses vary, depending on the study's population, criteria, time-period studied, and other factors. Higher end estimates by Kleck and Gertz show between 1 to 2.5 million DGUs in the United States each year. Low end estimates cited by Hemenway show approximately 55,000-80,000 such uses each year. Middle estimates have estimated approximately 1 million DGU incidents in the United States.

Roughly 8000 homicides vs the low ball figure of 55,000-80,000 self/home/family defense shootings per year.....

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 01:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: khnum
a reply to: blargo
I have been told by several posters that their inaliable right to own a gun exceeds others right to life,The US will never fix the problem I note with due interest the concealed carry guy who tried to intervene at Walmart got himself killed sort of a spanner in the most common argument but I digress,there is a scene in Reservoir Dogs where everyone has a gun it doesn't end well.

You've been told no such thing. Your perception and conclusion thereof is inferred. Baseless at that.

I've intervened twice with my own weapon. I'm typing this aren't I?

Ah...reservoir dogs...awesome movie! Far from reality.; yet still awesome!

As far as the intervention?...at least they tried. I'd rather die young a hero than old a coward.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join