It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Remember The Fallen" Writing Contest [June2014]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Good afternoon members of ATS.

In honor of the Fallen RCMP Officers from last week's shooting in our little city, as well as memorial day having just passed, I offer a contest regarding those who put duty in front of themselves.

These stories, can be in any format. Poetry or a short story. Write about soldiers, police officers, ambulance workers, fire fighters anybody who put their lives at risk for another.

These are to be tales of heroes.

The tragedy in our little town has deeply effected us, even me, who generally speaks against authority and the police. It's times like this I'm reminded they are just people who fought for something they believed in. So I want to read about your stories regarding the fallen you know.

Rules Of Entry

The contest will run from Tuesday, 10/06/2014 to Monday 30/06/2014 at Midnight. Any submissions after that date will be disqualified. A period of voting after the closing of the contest will also be provided.

5 days of voting.

All T&C's Apply

All entries MUST include [June2014]in the title.

All entries must be linked in this thread. You must include [writer] [non-writer] in your submission post within this thread.

There is no minimum or maximum character count.

1 Single Submission Per Member

There will be 3 winners among members who already have "Writer" status. They will be judged separately from all other entries based on stars and flags received.

1st Place -- 5 Applause & next contest theme choice.**
2nd Place -- 3 Applause
3rd Place -- 1 Applause

There will also be 3 winners from the non-writer category who will receive the following:

1st Place -- 3 Applause & Writer Status
2nd Place -- 2 Applause & Writer Status
3rd Place -- 2 Applause

Scoring

Flags will be worth 2 points each.
Stars will be worth 1 point each.

*Stars for subsequent posts (ie. additions to the story) will be worth .5 stars.

Let's give some respect to those who have lost their lives or have been hurt in the line of duty.
edit on 6/10/2014 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Suggestion: Put quotes around "Remember the Fallen" or something. I read the title and thought "I don't remember the 'fallen writing contest'."

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

I think this will be an emotional and heartfelt contest. I look forward to reading the entries.

Des

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Can we resubmit a old short story? If so, I would like to resubmit this one.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It was actually my first short story here at ATS and while fiction, it was based upon my and my comrades real life experiences.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

As you see fit.

Please create a new thread for it though.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Tribute to the Unknown Soldier

Writer

thanks,
blend57

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Erm.. silly question .. how to link to this thread ? yes i admit am at times tech challenged ..

story : the last ..

Debated with myself a long time before posted it as normally i dont talk about some things with others .. just thought to try and give a glimpse into the ongoing price still paid by many both soldiers and civilians caught in the insanity long after the wars end ..

Thanks ..
edit on 12/6/14 by Expat888 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Expat888

The Last

Ok, so how is it done? Click on your story thread first and go to the address bar at the top of the page. It should have something like www.abovetopsecret yada yada in it. Right click and hit 'copy.'

Then hit a reply here, and go to the link button, which is at the top of the window you're typing in. It looks like a little box with an arrow coming out the top right.

It will come up with a little window, prompting text. First write in the name of the story, and hit ok. It will then ask for the link, right click again and select 'paste.' Then hit ok again. You should see a big line of code that goes like [url= yada yada yada. That's the link.

Hope this helps.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Here's my entry. Just because I disagree with war, doesn't mean I'm not grateful to those who risk their lives for us.

Writer status

For the Fallen

Hope you all enjoy,

B x

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: 74Templar

Ahh thanks .. wrote down so that remember ..

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   
[writer]

9/11 [June 2014]

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Well, shoot. I missed the part about posting here for being distracted earlier. My bad (first time in this forum).

Reflections on Service and Duty [June 2014]

This is a story I originally wrote as a primary term paper for a college composition class. It's even been published by an instructor among a student collection he put together for a book as an FYI, in case someone sees it somehow and ever wonders. This is a modified form of it I adjusted in some minor ways for reading, spacing and format to come together online vs. printed pages.

It was also written to an assigned topic and in first person journal format.

This is a story I honestly didn't know the ending of until I got there and did the final draft in just over an hour's time in terms of it having been a flowing story that, odd to say, kinda wrote itself. It's a format I'd never done and certainly a writing experience I'd never had before, though I've learned better now how to work with and channel that. ( a little better anyway..lol )

* Also, part of the criteria I'd originally wrote this to required the events of specific historic reference be accurate to the real world history being depicted. I simply depicted it as interpreted by first person accounts (places like the Texas Rangers Museum has material like that) and as a first person experience.

Some of the perceptions are colorful for license, but terms used are to period as much and as closely as I could match them as well as some of the speech style and contexts. Events with one exception are largely as they're recorded in the boring accounts one can look up. The exception will be obvious, and what I didn't pre-plan or think ahead with. It just flowed as it sits there.

( - As one might imagine, this was written in honor of someone who spent a lifetime in service to others, for others. I hope he finally found the peace he sought. )

Enjoy!

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Voting is nearly over so good luck TDawg, Blend, Expat, Druid and Wrabbit!
Painful and poignant reading, but still hugely enjoyable - this was a really good contest

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Will there be a July or an August contest?

new topics

top topics

join