It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Finale of Tyson's "COSMOS: A Spacetime Odyssey"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Final Episode: Cosmos (at this link you can watch all of them, folks!)

I would LOVE to embed it, but I'm not sure how to do it unless it's on youtube.

I usually fall asleep before it comes on Sunday night - so I have to wait a couple of days to see it. But, if you go to the link above, you'll see that you can watch ALL of the episodes, for free!

Okay, so. I just watched this final episode of Neil deGrasse Tyson's "Cosmos" -
and it nearly brought me to tears. I would like to suggest (in the interest of ATS's motto) that each of you viewers, participants, lurkers, and readers of THIS FORUM watch it.... whether Christian (Catholic OR Protestant), Jew, Muslim, New Ager, Wiccan, Atheist, Agnostic (like me), Buddhist, WHATEVER.....
watch it, and let's discuss it.

If you have watched it, please give your comments - if you haven't, please tell us why, and why you would not be interested.

edit on 6/10/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I SEEN ALMOST EVERY EPISODE AND LOVED THEM ALL. NOW I GOTTA FIND SOMEWHERE I CAN WATCH THE ONES I MISSED.IT WAS A GREAT LEARNING EXPERIENCE. IM ALWAYS READY TO LEARN ABOUT ANYTHING TO DO WITH SPACE OR STRANGE THINGS IN THE WORLD. a reply to: BuzzyWigs

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I think it is a brilliant series - aimed at the general public (kids and adults alike), informative, necessary, and timely.

When Tyson starts this episode, he talks about the 100 BILLION stars in our own galaxy....JUST in the Milky Way!....and how many possible planets/moons likely harbor life. He talks about how thinking we know everything is really inappropriate, and how other planet's inhabitants would view us if they learned we thought that.

On the other hand (this is me talking) - maybe WE are the most 'advanced' intelligence in the galaxy - but I highly doubt it.

Toward the end there is a clip of Sagan's original series....

we are simply a Pale Blue Dot in an enormous unknown. What we DO know is miniscule.

Tyson also explains the Voyagers (1 and 2), and the message sent out with it (them?)....just in case someone finds it.
I find this very moving.

Hope you all are interested enough to participate, but in any case, I'm leaving this thread hanging here to see if anyone wants to participate!

edit on 6/10/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: jlj007

NOW I GOTTA FIND SOMEWHERE I CAN WATCH THE ONES I MISSED.

You can watch them all at the link at the very beginning of the OP!!

Enjoy!

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I hope there is a season two! Love that show. I dont agree with everything Neil says but I still get a lot out of it. The final episode was one of my favorites. The idea of dark matter is fascinating!

As usual he took a couple of shots at religion as he understands it. He usually gets a shot or two in every episode. I can see how people with an immature understanding of religion would be offended.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueMule

As usual he took a couple of shots at religion as he understands it.

You phrased this in an interesting way.
I think he is "taking shots" at the fundamentalists -
I, as an agnostic, saw no indication in the show anywhere that he (or the producers) think/s "God" does not exist. I believe the writers and he were very careful about that. Their main point is that we don't know everything, and that to think we do is ridiculous.

Actually, the entire series was (in my opinion) about keeping an open mind. And keeping up with what we know NOW, rather than relying on antiquated theorems.

Thanks for your response.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Tyson took a shot at ignorance.... It's not his fault or concern that the "shoe fits" when it comes to religious views.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
THANKS BUZZYWIGS. ME AND MY DAUGHTER WILL START CATCHING UP TONIGHT. YOU HAVE A GREAT DAY a reply to: BuzzyWigs

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Yes indeed they are being careful. LIke a boxer in a ring... stick and move.

I think the entire series is about science and reigion as competing narratives. Cosmos provides a NARRATIVE for the average person, and according to narrative theory thats how people learn. Neil got this show because he is one of the few scientists who can take dry science and turn it into a narrative with awe, respect, and inspiring hero journeys. The combination of carefully calculated words and beautiful CGI images speaks to both sides of the brain, which can then weave a steady, romantic narrative to rival religion.

edit on 852Tuesday000000America/ChicagoJun000000TuesdayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Tyson just stated the FACTS. The facts just don't look good for religion. It's the egotistical view that some ones religion is the be all end all truth of the universe that's ridiculous. Tyson just points out that anyone looking at anything like that is nonsensical. Religion should be looking at its self instead of expecting the universe to conform to there beliefs.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Scientists have been Heros that changed the world..... And religion and science ARE competing!

Both sides say they offer the truth of the universe.

Science knows they don't know it all but want to try to learn it all and have ushered in all the marvels of the modern era.

Religions claim they know most of it and what they don't know is unknowable because God did it.....but what have they givin as proof that there explanation is the truth of the universe???.... Nothing anchient texts that don't match up at all with the truths science has found....

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ArtemisE

You don't have to defend Neil against me. Nothing he has said against religion applies to my understanding of religion. He doesn't think of religion the same way I do. Very few people do. I don't fear him so I'm not attacking him.

No I'm gratful to the sharpening stone that is Cosmos. Maybe it will sharpen the dull blade of religious thought.

edit on 859Tuesday000000America/ChicagoJun000000TuesdayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I have it recorded but haven" t had time to watch tv in the past few months. At first I watched the old one by mistake.
I will check out this last epi
Thanks

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Love this show as well! I thought the last episode was beautiful. Especially the end when they played Sagan reading the Pale Blue Dot over the newer CG space vistas.

There have definitely been spots here and there that could be considered pot shots at young earth creationists and other religious fundies but the show always backs it up with real facts and data.

Major props to everyone how worked on the show

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Part of my next video was going to be about the last episode of Cosmos, a continuation of my short campaign to rip Satan and all his disciples apart from the inside out. Unfortunately, I'm being stalled because you have to jump through a ton of hoops just to able to download a video off of Hulu's website. If I manage to find a way to download it, it will not only be just about the last episode, but in showing everybody just how much of a hypocrite Neil Tyson really is regarding real, observable science and not imaginations of the mind to prop up an ever faltering, inconsistent theory. To put it simply, the entire show, the last episode in particular was like getting a lecture from a new ager about science.

Dark Matter, which is what most of the Cosmos finale was about, is the central focus of my first video in the link below. I explain that like evolution itself and every other idea that's been filtered down to the public as brand new, there is nothing at all that is new or "scientific" about Dark Matter. What Mr. Neil Tyson conveniently failed to mention was that the idea is as old as the first civilizations where primitive, or rudimentary forms of Dark Matter was also taught, and the idea makes for the perfect disguise for Satan to present himself as a force of nature, as the "god particle" or "cosmic intelligence" guiding the universe and all living things.

The Antichrist and the media's role in promoting him (video version): www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 12-6-2014 by BlackManINC because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-6-2014 by BlackManINC because: (no reason given)

top topics

join