It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now Ragnarok Will Be Under Fire

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I just read this article about the young man who stabbed to death 20 people at his school in Pennsylvania.

Stabbing suspect wrote Norse Apocalypse

OK, I am not going to place blame on Norse Mythology (not like people suddenly flip out if a Christian were to do this), but what part of the Ragnarok story involves human violence? I thought Ragnarok was a war between the Norse gods. Please correct me if I am wrong.

As people seem to want to justify hatred of Christianity because they want to believe Christianity condones violence, I see this article as an attempt to pick on any religious view, by making it an issue that this kid believed in Norse mythology. The Vikings plundered, pillaged and raped in the name of Odin or other gods, but haven't been doing that lately.

Is this Yahoo's attempt to condition people against any and all religious viewpoints? I think it is. And I didn't make the connection between this kid's writing about Ragnarok and stabbing people because of it.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Is this Yahoo's attempt to condition people against any and all religious viewpoints? I think it is. And I didn't make the connection between this kid's writing about Ragnarok and stabbing people because of it.

That's making a bit of a leap. The kid was psycho, end of story.
edit on 10-6-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: AfterInfinity

Whether he was psycho or not doesn't matter in my thesis, which is that people will use the kid's religious views in effort of discrediting every religious view.

And if we were to apply your standard, then it's not religion, but psychos who do things. Religion isn't the problem, that's what I just heard from you.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: WarminIndy

originally posted by: AfterInfinity

Whether he was psycho or not doesn't matter in my thesis, which is that people will use the kid's religious views in effort of discrediting every religious view.

And if we were to apply your standard, then it's not religion, but psychos who do things. Religion isn't the problem, that's what I just heard from you.

In this particular case, yes, religion wasn't the problem. Don't try to twist my words.

Also, I didn't see the article attempting to degrade religion by associating mythology with his actions. His recent works include a piece on Ragnarok which happened to reflect a certain regard for the human race which explains his actions.
edit on 10-6-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I thought Ragnarok had already passed? Also it is not this incident that will spark people up about religion it is your statement. For example your statement leads me to say that Christianity is a religion of peace just like Islam. Compare 9/11 to The Spanish Inquisition.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy

Except Christianity doesn't condone violence (anymore)

the bible does, but the part that does isn't Christian anyways...

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

Except Christianity doesn't condone violence (anymore)

the bible does, but the part that does isn't Christian anyways...

And the part that is Christian isn't Christian either. Arguably, anyway. But that's not the topic.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: AfterInfinity

Im not sure how much sense that makes...

Anything from Matthew on is Christian material... perhaps leaving revelation out of the mix...

whatever though

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon
a reply to: AfterInfinity

Im not sure how much sense that makes...

Anything from Matthew on is Christian material... perhaps leaving revelation out of the mix...

whatever though

Jesus is crucified, Jesus dies for our sins, Jesus rises three days later, Jesus/Father/Holy Ghost...all of these things are arguably NOT Christian, but simply borrowed by the Christian cause.

Like I said, that's not the topic here. Start another thread if you feel so inclined.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon People on death row don't commit murders anymore, but they're still murderers.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I like the stories of baldr, Odin, and Thor.

It was the perception of the person who did this that was the issue, he may have believed some of the stories on the TV a little too much and in his mind twisted things around a little. A few people who see these things get obsessed, it has been happening for generations. Before they censored violence from TVs and the media to slow the spread of this kind of stuff. You only need one in a million to take this kind of stuff as reality, that would be at least 300 in this country alone and this can lead to some notable events. This could even happen by obsessive reading of comic books or regular fiction books. With the new technology, things on TV look more real nowadays though, possibly making these people believe more of this.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
I thought Ragnarok had already passed? Also it is not this incident that will spark people up about religion it is your statement. For example your statement leads me to say that Christianity is a religion of peace just like Islam. Compare 9/11 to The Spanish Inquisition.

So you think religion makes people psycho?

I am a Christian, but I wasn't concerned about the kid's belief in Ragnarok or Norse Mythology, he can believe however he wants. But there aren't a lot of pagans today who are stabbing people to death.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   

a reply to: Akragon People on death row don't commit murders anymore, but they're still murderers.

One can not blame the entire population of the religion for the deeds of the past...

That's like saying the guy on Death row is a murderer, but so is the rest of his family and friends

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

People on death row don't commit murders anymore, but they're still murderers.

That doesn't really fit. If you used that then every last person on the planet would be a murderer because at some point a thousand years ago one of their relatives might have killed someone. Ya' know?

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I like the stories of baldr, Odin, and Thor.

It was the perception of the person who did this that was the issue, he may have believed some of the stories on the TV a little too much and in his mind twisted things around a little. A few people who see these things get obsessed, it has been happening for generations. Before they censored violence from TVs and the media to slow the spread of this kind of stuff. You only need one in a million to take this kind of stuff as reality, that would be at least 300 in this country alone and this can lead to some notable events. This could even happen by obsessive reading of comic books or regular fiction books. With the new technology, things on TV look more real nowadays though, possibly making these people believe more of this.

Which is why I wondered why the writer of the article felt it was important enough to bring up. But how many people kill others at ComiCon? I have never heard of it.

His belief in Ragnarok matters very little, in my opinion, and maybe that's because we don't really take Norse Mythology as very serious. Maybe that's the difference.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

I seem to see a lot of good expressions in Norse Mythology that steer people to live harmoniously with their fellow Norseman. I do see that there was fighting, especially against deceitfulness. Loki was always stirring things up. Same with that one witch.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Let me put it like this:
For hundreds of years Catholicism encompassed all of Christianity. All modern Christians (except Mormons) trace their line of priesthood directly to the Catholic church.
One of the tenants of Catholicism is that the Pope is infallible.
The Pope for hundreds of years says the Sun revolves around the Earth. (they even held Galileo's feet to the fire)
The Pope is wrong ,your religion is false. The whole thing, all of modern Christianity is a lie.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   

when a person kills someone - because they claim their imaginary friend told them too - there is no point asking " whats your friends name " - they are still bat guano crazy

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Let me put it like this:
For hundreds of years Catholicism encompassed all of Christianity. All modern Christians (except Mormons) trace their line of priesthood directly to the Catholic church.
One of the tenants of Catholicism is that the Pope is infallible.
The Pope for hundreds of years says the Sun revolves around the Earth. (they even held Galileo's feet to the fire)
The Pope is wrong ,your religion is false. The whole thing, all of modern Christianity is a lie.

I am not Catholic and no one in my family has been for over 400 years.

I have only read about Catholicism. But I don't fall for every conspiracy theory out there against the Catholic church and you shouldn't either.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

when a person kills someone - because they claim their imaginary friend told them too - there is no point asking " whats your friends name " - they are still bat guano crazy

I don't think the kid believed Odin told him to.

But the point was made, it was to discredit religious worldviews.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join