It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas GOP endorses ‘treatment’ for homosexuality

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite

You should take your own advice and let those who want to be treated get treated. Mind your own business and leave them alone instead of trying to tell them why they think and feel the way they do.

Who's the bully here?

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: BasementWarriorKryptonite

originally posted by: smithjustinb

a reply to: smithjustinb

And you're bias is "I'm straight and don't want to change". Can you tell me why we both feel this way?

I know that I can.

Its not about my bias or your bias. Its about the opportunity to change for the people that want to change.

Absolutely. The deeper concern, though is why do they want to change? What pressures do they experience which cause them to want to change something that is unchangeable?

For one, I'll say it again. If it was unchangeable, conversion therapy would have had 0% success and this is not the case.

Most pressure, I believe you would find is social intolerance. However, not all cases of wanting to change are due to social intolerance.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

I don't think he is against treatment. His point is why do gay people who want treatment feel the NEED to be treated?

Is it because of the bullies in school or in society? Is it because of family? Etc etc.

See how dangerous that is? Many of them attempted or committed suicide because of that.

See... those the seek treatment needs to have a LEGITIMATE reason to do so.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

There's no need to get agitated - we are supposed to be having a decent and adult conversation.

I think it's wonderful that you are so concerned with the welfare of homosexuals. I do think perhaps you might be a bit misguided, but it's a good effort on your part none-the-less.

Have you ever thought about getting therapy for being heterosexual? Or are you homsexual - forgive me if you've made the statement previously and I missed it.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   

And you're bias is "I'm straight and don't want to change". Can you tell me why we both feel this way?

I know that I can.

Its not about my bias or your bias. Its about the opportunity to change for the people that want to change.

Absolutely. The deeper concern, though is why do they want to change? What pressures do they experience which cause them to want to change something that is unchangeable?

For one, I'll say it again. If it was unchangeable, conversion therapy would have had 0% success and this is not the case.

Most pressure, I believe you would find is social intolerance. However, not all cases of wanting to change are due to social intolerance.

It does have 0% success rate. The only success such therapy might have is when a subject is convinced to lie to themselves and other, or if the subject is at all bisexual.

Edit: I agree that there are more than just social or religious or familial pressures to consider, such as the desire for children. Thank goodness for turkey basters. Squirt.

edit on 12-6-2014 by BasementWarriorKryptonite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
There are confused people everywhere.

Some of us are set in our ways.

Some people go back and forth.

I don't think either side really knows what is going on in the mind.

I think we all agree confused people should get some help.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   
If people could actually treat people like Human Beings maybe they wouldn't feel they are "Different"or "Abnormal" or an "Abomination" or a "Deviant"

How dare anyone and i mean Anyone believe they are the superior person to claim who and who is not Normal, shame on anyone who feels like hate is Freedom

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   

There's no need to get agitated - we are supposed to be having a decent and adult conversation.

I'm not agitated at all, I was simply echoing your sentiments in order to point out your hypocrisy.

I think it's wonderful that you are so concerned with the welfare of homosexuals. I do think perhaps you might be a bit misguided, but it's a good effort on your part none-the-less.

Well thank you for that.

Have you ever thought about getting therapy for being heterosexual?

In a way I suppose I have, the issue of sex totally dominated and destroyed all of my relationships past, so I've opted to just not do it at all anymore.

Or are you homsexual - forgive me if you've made the statement previously and I missed it.

No, but I do think I could've gone either way in my adolescence due to trauma I suffered as a child.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   

It does have 0% success rate. The only success such therapy might have is when a subject is convinced to lie to themselves and other, or if the subject is at all bisexual.

There is reported success by people who claimed to be gay and then subsequently claimed to be straight. I doubt that they all lied, and I doubt that they all were bisexual and didn't know it.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite

As smithjustinb has pointed out (if I remember correctly) some gay people might want to have a family and children (not because of the pressures). That is a LEGITIMATE reason for the treatment.

It is their decision.

Gay people shouldn't be pressured into it.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   
The way I see this....

I am deaf. Can any amount of treatment make me hearing? Obviously no.

I can decide that I want to be hearing by treatment but that still won't work. (Who would want to listen to nagging girlfriend/wife? lol)

There's the cochlear implant surgery that is pretty good (not 100% effective). Some families will try to pressure deaf relatives to take the surgery.

The Deaf community is very much against cochlear implant. They generally reject anyone who decided to have the surgery.

However, if they perfected a surgery ("treatment") that will make me 100% hearing, then I would probably take it because I want to listen to music.

As of today, no treatment is effective for homosexuality.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Question: Anyone who is Okay, or supports this Conversion Therapy would also support Straight Conversion Therapy correct?

you wouldn't say it's the "Gay Agenda" or "All gays try to turn Kids Gay" i mean, you would be okay with Therapy that would turn your Child Gay, or other Straight Children Gay if they wanted it?

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 12:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: imwilliam
a reply to: Annee

Would have been nice Anne, given that you changed your post so dramatically, had you just made a new post instead of editing it.

Sorry. Was forming an additional post when Internet went out.

It happens when you live in the boonies.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 12:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

Question: Anyone who is Okay, or supports this Conversion Therapy would also support Straight Conversion Therapy correct?

That is an excellent point right there.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime

If the LGBT community was successful and 100% tolerance of them was achieved in society. Do you think there would be an equal amount of gays wanting to go straight as there would straights wanting to go gay? Why or why not?
edit on 13-6-2014 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   

If the LGBT community was successful and 100% tolerance of them was achieved in society. Do you think there would be an equal amount of gays wanting to go straight as there would straights wanting to go gay? Why or why not?

Precisely the point. We are making more progress.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
The way I see this....

I can decide that I want to be hearing by treatment but that still won't work. (Who would want to listen to nagging girlfriend/wife? lol)

lol.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 02:41 AM
link   

There is reported success by people who claimed to be gay and then subsequently claimed to be straight. I doubt that they all lied, and I doubt that they all were bisexual and didn't know it.

There is a difference between being gay and claiming or thinking you're gay. Keep in mind what I've said about them perhaps being bisexual and anything on the sexual spectrum between gay and straight.

I have to acknowledge the comment by Bone75 that trauma cause them to consider going either way and as much as I'd like to think I did it rough when I was younger, I didn't have it as bad as I thought so have to admit I can't put myself in their shoes and therefore must concede it's possible for a person's sexuality to be affected by early traumatic events.

Rather than the current style of anti-gay therapy, though, I'd think good quality, non-biased psychological counselling allowing a person to work things out themselves would be in order. I guess just normal, everyday counselling.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 04:32 AM
link   

There is a difference between being gay and claiming or thinking you're gay.

And what objective method of analysis do people use to tell the difference?

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Only each individual will ever know that.

new topics

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join