It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas GOP endorses ‘treatment’ for homosexuality

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite

Don't let FlyersFan's "facts" fool you. There were plenty of successful conversions prior to the homosexual uproar that led to homosexuality being removed from the list of mental disorders.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

Could you change your sexuality?

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

Don't let FlyersFan's "facts" fool you. There were plenty of successful conversions prior to the homosexual uproar that led to homosexuality being removed from the list of mental disorders.
brainwashing can convert just about anyone. That doesnt make it a cure, nor does it make it right.

Takes a very special kind of person to advocate government mind programming.You all should be so proud.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Do you have any actual proof of that?

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Do you have facts to back that up?

There are homosexuals who choose to live a heterosexual life. But, they do not lose the inherent desire to be with same sex.

That is choosing lifestyle over orientation.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Don't let FlyersFan's "facts" fool you.

FACTS

No quotes around them needed. Facts are facts. And I posted indisputable facts. Homosexuality is a normal variation in human sexuality. NORMAL VARIATION. Just because YOU have issues with it, doesn't change that FACT.

edit on 6/12/2014 by FlyersFan because: spacing

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   

There were plenty of successful conversions ...

Read the thread. The non-biased information proves that the 'conversion therapy' almost always ends badly for the poor person who is subjected to it. It's not 'successful' when large numbers become suicidal and have mental health issues because of the so-called 'conversion therapy'.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I see a real parallel here with the creationist argument against evolution. At first they flat out refused to acknowledge any sort of evolution was happening. Then when evolution was shown to take place on a short time-scale, the creationists cottoned onto the word 'micro-evolution', which allowed them to accept small-scale evolution (so that they don't appear completely stupid in the face of facts) while still denying that long-term evolution takes place. (thereby implicitly accepting that evolution does, in fact, happen.)

This same moving-of-the-goalposts is taking place here. The Right originally refused to accept that homosexuality was something people were born with, insisting it was a 'lifestyle choice' (which used to make me want to ask 'Go on then, prove it: Choose to be gay for a day.) Now that they can no longer claim that without looking dumb, they've changed the debate into one about homosexuality being an 'illness' that needs 'curing'. (thereby implicitly accepting that homosexuality is something you're born with)

Hopefully in both debates Truth is winning. One day they'll be so much accumulated fact supporting both (not that there isn't already),that even the die-hard ignorant will have to accept them.
edit on 12-6-2014 by benedictus because: added a space

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

I'll dig it up as soon as I get off of work today.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

I'll dig it up as soon as I get off of work today.

I don't even need to see if to know it's rubbish. Why would you even think a person's sexuality can be changed? I'm still curious how you feel about changing you own.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
So that we all get along, people just need to embrace that men are from Mars, women are from Venus and gays are from Uranus.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Cure Gay People ?

Oh, this ought to be good.

Isn't the first step of solving a problem admitting you have one ?

I have never met a Gay person who thought it was a problem.

Matter of fact...it's quite the opposite.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
The only claims for successful conversion therapy comes from NARTH.

They claim to be secular, then say stuff like this:

“We, as citizens, need to articulate God’s intent for human sexuality,” Dr. Joseph Nicolosi, President of NARTH, said in CNN’ 360 Degrees with Anderson Cooper, April 14, 2007. At the Feb. 10, 2007 Love Won Out conference in Phoenix, the “secular” therapist told the audience, “When we live our God-given integrity and our human dignity, there is no space for sex with a guy.” www.truthwinsout.org...

NARTH relies on outdated studies and frequently confuses stereotypes with science. Dr. Nicolosi, for example, often tells audiences that people are gay because they have a rift with a same-sex parent or a have domineering opposite sex parent. It has been decades since any serious scientific body subscribed to these views and there is no contemporary research to uphold these anachronistic theories. Yet, NARTH’ co-founder Dr. Joseph Nicolosi repeats the empty mantra, “We advise fathers, if you don’t hug your sons, some other man will.” www.truthwinsout.org...

Here's a gem (take note of date 1997):

Another disturbing aspect of these organizations is that they seek to “prevent” toddlers from becoming gay. If a child shows signs of atypical gender behavior, NARTH suggests ex-gay therapy. Indeed, the group takes clients as young as three years old. “The parents bring me kids who are unhappy. It’s my job to increase the possibility of a heterosexual future for these effeminate boys,” NARTH’ Dr. Joseph Nicolosi told the Advocate Magazine in a Nov. 11, 1997 interview. www.truthwinsout.org...

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Could you kindly offer us some examples of normal variations vs. abnormal variations? Are down syndrome and autism abnormal genetic variations or normal genetic variations?

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Personally, I'd say any variation that prevents a person from "normal" life function is an abnormal variation (very gray area).

"Normal" meaning daily life function such as work, education, etc.

Aren't we all mutations/variations from the first homosapien?

edit on 12-6-2014 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Could you kindly offer us some examples of normal variations vs. abnormal variations? Are down syndrome and autism abnormal genetic variations or normal genetic variations?

If you look at the official Merriam-Webster definitions of "normal", "abnormal", and "variant" - I think it will give you some clues:

1var·i·ant adjective \ˈver-ē-ənt\
: different in some way from others of the same kind

www.merriam-webster.com...

Variant - Not good or bad, just different

nor·mal adjective \ˈnȯr-məl\
: usual or ordinary : not strange

: mentally and physically healthy

Normal - not strange, mentally and physically healthy

ab·nor·mal adjective \(ˌ)ab-ˈnȯr-məl, əb-\
: different from what is normal or average : unusual especially in a way that causes problems

Abnormal - not normal in a way that causes problems (I would think this is the opposite of mentally and physically healthy)

So - by looking at these definitions, I think we can surmise that a normal variant is one that may be different from the norm, but still mentally and physically healthy. You can function physically and mentally just like everyone else. An abnormal variant would be different from the norm in a way that causes problems (NOT mentally and physically healthy). You have a hard time functioning physically and mentally just like everyone else.

Down Syndrome and autism - abnormal variant
Homosexuality, red-headed, left-handed - normal variants

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   

If you're going to blame the therapy for the suicides, then we should probably ban PTSD therapy as well.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

Scientific Examination of Conversion Therapy

So called 'conversion therapy' is unethical, unnecessary, and there is ample and sound justification for abandoning the practice. The use of electric shock and nausea producing drugs is used in the so-called therapy.

Everyone should read this ....

American Psychological Association - Just the facts

The most important fact about these “therapies” is that they are based on a view of homosexuality that has been rejected by all the major mental health professions. The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, six published by the American Psychiatric Association, which defines the standards of the field, does not include homosexuality. All other major health professional organizations have supported the American Psychiatric Association in its declassification of homosexuality as a mental disorder in 1973. Thus, the idea that homosexuality is a mental disorder or that the emergence of same-sex attraction and orientation among some adolescents is in any way abnormal or mentally unhealthy has no support among any mainstream health and mental health professional organizations.

Despite the general consensus of major medical, health and mental health professions that both heterosexuality and homosexuality are normal expressions of human sexuality, efforts to change sexual orientation through therapy have been adopted by some political and religious organizations and aggressively promoted to the public. However, such efforts have serious potential to harm young people because they present the view that the sexual orientation of lesbian, gay and bisexual youth is a mental illness or disorder, and they often frame the inability to change one’s sexual orientation as a personal and moral failure.7

Because of the aggressive promotion of efforts to change sexual orientation through therapy, a number of medical, health and mental health professional organizations have issued public statements about the dangers of this approach. The American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Counseling Association, the American Psychiatric Association, the American Psychological Association, the American School Counselor Association, the National Association of School Psychologists and the National Association of Social Workers together, representing more than 480,000 mental health professionals, have all taken the position that homosexuality is not a mental disorder and thus is not something that needs to or can be “cured.”

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   

If you're going to blame the therapy for the suicides, then we should probably ban PTSD therapy as well.

The homosexual people weren't suicidal before the ultra religious nutters got their hands on them. The same can't be said about those suffering from PTSD. They aren't even close to being the same thing.

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join