It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas GOP endorses ‘treatment’ for homosexuality

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Here's a story of 2 gay men who found love at reparative therapy.

If it's the same story I've heard before, I believe one was forced by his parents and the other chose to go.

It's a very informative read.

COVER STORY: Larry and KC Jansson found love in the midst of anti-gay ‘reparative’ therapy.

www.dallasvoice.com...

edit on 12-6-2014 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   
a reply to: ccross

My opinon is that sexual desire is somewhat fluid and can be manipulated by others or ones self, or even environment. If you are around a certain behavior, and that leads you to trying something a bunch of times I believe desire can change to suit what your used to.

Can you be manipulated into eating spoiled food. Can you see yourself being manipulated into liking men? In both cases you will still get sick and throw up.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Yes, I probably would throw up. If desire cannot be manipulated how do you explain why a very significant portion of male prisoners desire gay sex in prison, and according to prison guard family members it matters not how "un-gay" they were when they got there.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 01:27 AM
link   

I have no idea. I am not qualified to answer your question lol.

I would bet that it is due to many gay prisoners dressing up as women and acting like women. Due to lack of sex with women, it would be natural for them to desire a sex and they can pretend that the person is a woman in the dark.

I really have no idea.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 01:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: ccross

Yes, I probably would throw up. If desire cannot be manipulated how do you explain why a very significant portion of male prisoners desire gay sex in prison, and according to prison guard family members it matters not how "un-gay" they were when they got there.

You're confusing homosexuality with a sexual activity - they're two very different things.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 01:32 AM
link   

FlyersFan would be way more qualified to answer your question.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 01:51 AM
link   

It isn't gay sex, unless you're actually gay.

Sex is sex.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 02:19 AM
link   
A lot of black nationalists I've seen on facebook and other SEO sites have also used the same stupid logic saying homosexuality is a mental illness and LOVE quoting that it was defined as such before 1970.

Gee friggin whiz, why can't people just bust a nut with who they like as long as it is consentual?

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 02:55 AM
link   
a reply to: ArchPlayer

Good gracious - heaven forbid we should all just let everyone be happy, then where would we all be?

Oh, we'd all be happier. Can't have that!

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Really, just about ALL the fat cats on the "Hill" ought to investigate and treat themselves. Surely such a group of people that constantly come up with such crazy ideas need to be looked at and they need to leave the rest of society alone! Isn't it said that the sign of insanity is when folks do the same thing over and over and expect a different result? Well, these folks are constantly jabbering the same nonsense over and over...relevant to so many things...they need more treatment than the general population or any segment of population for that matter, IMHO.

They have studies about nonsensical things like how many people eat tomatoes or some such and yet skip the really important issues like why the Vets have such poor treatment or no treatment. Those morons need to study/treat themselves...politicians, I mean.

A persons gender orientation or preferences relevant
to sex is the least of our problems right now. How about the economy, the starving/homeless in this country, the mess of an education system that doesn't know when to use "our" instead of are in a sign, all the innocents that die during the so-called wars. The "craziness" of politicians never ceases to amaze me...they need to heal/treat their own selves. As to whether homosexuals need "treatment"...folks will debate that. I don't know the answers to any of that. Alls I know is that we should try and understand and care about all people. We are all in this game called life together. Maybe there are no easy answers to certain things.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 05:15 AM
link   

The FACT is that homosexuality is a disorder

The FACT is that it's a normal variation in human sexuality.
I've already proven that.

just because some politicians in the 70's forced a purely political change in the DSM doesn't make it any less of one.

1 - That's a subjective opinion on your part devoid of any evidence.
2 - As science and medicine and psychology learn more, their opinions will change. The last four decades have shown greater understanding about humans and THAT is why the change away from religious stigma based conclusions has happened. Scientific fact and learning happened ... thus the change.

The ONLY thing I have a problem with is everyone telling me I must conform and accept homosexuality as normal.

Well then ... I guess you have no problem then. As long as you don't interfere with others living their lives then no one cares if you want to remain uneducated on the subject.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 06:14 AM
link   

The danger here is that you're arguing that homosexuality is wrong. That leads to discrimination and bullying. Homosexuality is not a choice. We know that. That's clear. Religion is though.

You say Homosexuality is not a choice? If that is true then why is less then 10% of the people gay? That would seem to point to a physiological key that is pushing this. Because something is doing it means that the reason can be found and quantified. This would lead to a treatment of this. Now if you choice to take this treatment is a completely different question.

Now if it is truly a lifestyle choice that is a completely different thing. If someone says " I chose to be gay." then I have no issue with it, just like a person chooses to be religious. At that point live you life and don't try to push you views on others, but be willing to answer questions and present your views nicely if asked.

I personally don't care for the gay life style, but have no issues with people who do. I don't go around telling people who/how I sleep with someone and really don't care how someone else does that ether. We all need to keep the big chip off our shoulder and learn to live with people. I'm tired of all this PC crap. If you don't like something that someone is doing, don't stay around them. If you don't like how people respond to your personnel life, don't bring it up. THAT WHY IT'S CALLED PERSONAL. Now if someone is going out of their way to cause issues... that is a completely different issue.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: dismanrc
You say Homosexuality is not a choice? If that is true then why is less then 10% of the people gay?

Seriously dude? Did you not read the thread?

10% of the population is left handed. They didn't choose to be left handed. It's just the way their physiology works. Same with homosexuality. I suggest that you read the thread and see the differences in homosexual and heterosexual brains. Then get back to us on the 'choice' thing. (hint ... no one chooses what brain shape and what connections they will be born with).

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

As I mentioned before, I'm not sure that the studies you cited that reported a difference between the structure of the brains of homosexual and heterosexual people are the concrete proof of a genetic component that I understand you to be suggesting and apparently I'm not alone.

But researchers say many questions remain about all this research. And there are as many differences within groups individuals of the same sexual orientation as between those of different orientation. Moreover, the new work involved adults, meaning there is no way to know with certainty when the structures and connections formed and why.

"It takes a snapshot of a group of people at a particular age," said Anne Fausto-Sterling, a professor of biology and gender studies at Brown University. "Even if there are reliable brain differences, it doesn't tell you anything about how those brain differences came into being."

Washington Post Brain Study Shows Differences Between Gays And Straights

And even if there was "proof positive" that homosexuality has a genetic component, which it may very well have, what difference does that make?

There are studies that show that alcoholism has a genetic component. Now I realize that alcoholism is probably universally destructive and you can argue persuasively that homosexuality isn't, but that isn't my point. My point is that we expect/accept that people can overcome this genetic component if they want to. Why would it be any different with homosexuals that WANT to overcome this genetic component in their makeup?

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: imwilliam
And even if there was "proof positive" that homosexuality has a genetic component, which it may very well have, what difference does that make?

It makes a difference to those who keep saying that people are 'choosing to be evil'.

My point is that we expect/accept that people can overcome this genetic component if they want to.

And my point is ... there is no reason why they should be forced to feel like they should change. The only reason anyone puts forward for these people to change is a religious reason. That it's 'evil' or that it's 'depraved' or that its' 'perverse' ... that kind of thing.

The information provided shows that conversion therapy has severe negative effects on those who go through it. It's healthier to follow the natural homosexual instincts then to force a conversion that isn't necessary.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

I'm not advocating for forced conversion therapy. However, I think you have to allow for the idea that there may very well be homosexuals don't "want" to be homosexuals. And yes, some of them may not "want" to be homosexual because of their religious beliefs . . . religious beliefs that others may consider to be stupid, outdated and etc. But that's a value judgment best left to the individual and if we're going to be fair I think we have to accept that they may value their understanding of God and what's right and wrong over their homosexuality. Why shouldn't we allow for programs/therapy/etc. that assist. them in advancing in the direction they want to advance in? I think the homosexual community needs to guard itself against developing something akin to the "Uncle Tom" syndrome.

The information provided shows that conversion therapy has severe negative effects on those who go through it.

Aren't there "therapies" that have been practiced in the past within the psychiatric field that did more harm than good? Some that might even be considered barbaric by today's standards? The response to that, at least as I understand it, was to develop better and more effective therapies. By all means, if the current modalities don't effectively achieve the goal, if they're harmful, argue/advocate against them, but doesn't demonizing of even the intention/desire to "treat" something that the patient finds undesirable work against developing those better and more effective therapies?

I'm off to work now but I'll check back in later. Appreciate the conversation Flyers

edit on 12-6-2014 by imwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: imwilliam

The main reason homosexuals wouldn't want to be homsexual is because of social and religious pressure. If we all stopped telling them they shouldn't be gay they likely wouldn't be so desperate to try not to be.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I don't see anything wrong with making treatment available to those who would rather not be gay. In fact it seems cruel to me that anyone would want to deny someone that right. At least they're not subject to forced sensitivity training when they refuse to bake a cake.
edit on b20146America/Chicago75 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: BasementWarriorKryptonite

The main reason homosexuals wouldn't want to be homsexual is because of social and religious pressure.

I haven't always been religious, but I've always had to choke back vomit at the sight of 2 men kissing. Point being, stop blaming Christians for the opposition to homosexuality.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

originally posted by: BasementWarriorKryptonite

The main reason homosexuals wouldn't want to be homsexual is because of social and religious pressure.

I haven't always been religious, but I've always had to choke back vomit at the sight of 2 men kissing. Point being, stop blaming Christians for the opposition to homosexuality.

I'm sure you do, so you can imagine how homosexuals feel about watching heterosexuals get it on all around them, then? There's no point providing treatment to homosexuals. Offer it to bisexuals - they're the one's that can swing back and forth.

Notice I didn't just imply religious pressures, but social and I put it first.

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join