It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas GOP endorses ‘treatment’ for homosexuality

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: sputniksteve

originally posted by: begoodbees

originally posted by: FlyersFan

So the everything but the past 40 years is ancient history to you huh?

Don't be obtuse. You know ... or you SHOULD know ... that the more advanced medicine and psychology is, the more information it gets. We know more now then we did 50 years ago .. 100 years ago .. 200 years ago. To say that medicine and biology understanding is better 40 years ago than it is now ... that's absurd.

Something cannot be normal and a variation.

Yes it can. Green eyes are normal. Being left handed is normal. Being homosexual is normal. It's all within expected 'normal variation' range for humans. There is no one standard 'normal' human.

What I know is that "science" has morphed into a religion based on speculations and distortions of the facts. The more time passes the more corrupt and less reliable every institution becomes.

The only real science being done is in developing technologies and psychological methodologies in order to make everyone accept the indoctrination without resistance.

And religion is religion based on speculations, distortion of facts, and down right stupidity. Look where all of those feats of human evolution got us. Science, is just that. Thinking like you and the other yahoo in the beginning of the thread is the type that get people harmed for not acting a certain way, or thinking a certain way. Maybe you won't personally harm someone but it happens all over the world all the time because of old fashioned, uneducated, and ignorant world views and...religion.

Science used to argue the opposite of what you are now so against it arguing. Are you angry that the agenda is no longer in your corner, or did you also see it as propoganda when scientists were anti-gay?

I am not a yahoo and neither is anyone else on this thread.
You have hit my point on the head, religion is stupid. Modern science is a religion based on speculations and distortions of the truth and is used as always to control and manipulate people.
You have been indoctrinated to believe that anyone who does not follow the progressive viewpoint is somehow uneducated, and ignorant. That makes you uneducated and ignorant and arrogant to boot.
edit on 11-6-2014 by begoodbees because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: sensibleSenseless

I am a heterosexual woman, and I have been the recipient of numerous unwanted advances by heterosexual males. Some of those experiences have been very unpleasant. So should I assume that all heterosexual males are vile, unpleasant oafs who can't take no for an answer? Heterosexual males aren't okay, because I have had some bad experiences with them!

Seriously!

I've been shoved into closets, had office doors locked, threatened with firing. And that's only in the work area.

To add: my hubby was working an AIDS thing. He went in the gay bar, sat down at the bar to wait for his gay friend. Every guy at the bar got up and left. Hubby felt very sad, it hurt his feelings
LOL

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: begoodbees

Yea its the ones who buy into science and all the things they have made that improve our lives daily that are the yahoos... Not the ones still worshiping Bronze Age myths...

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

It is futile, it truly is.

The pot calling the kettle black....i love how you guys use circular reasoning, it is not much different than the anti-evolutionist trying to counter scientists.

edit on 11-6-2014 by jrod because:

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

.. you mentioned this - "A bigot can be programmed to be tolerant.". Phew, that's a tough one. It can take a lot of work and they have to want to change. There is self help therapy for those who recognize their problem and who want to change. Cognitive behavioral therapy.
Oh no no, I am not speaking of therapy. I am speaking of deprogramming. Brainwashing. It can be done to add or take away just about anything from a personality.

Ive seen it. I dont want to go in to it here, but I know someone who was sent to a 'camp' and came back a completely different person. Thats what this "gay therapy" is. It is deprogramming. And, as I said, it is vulgar, vile, immoral and unethical.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Modern science is a religion based on speculations and distortions of the truth and is used as always to control and manipulate people.

Science is a Religion, huh?!?!?!?

Do we even need to debate about what a stupid statement that is, yet again????

So according to you Religion is Stupid and Science is a Religion too. So everything is all just a big lie and false teachings, yet you for some reason hold the one real truth I suppose. So are you the next messiah now who holds the truth for mankind???

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: MALBOSIA

originally posted by: captaintyinknots

originally posted by: MALBOSIA

a reply to: MALBOSIA

I love it when people totally miss the point and peove themself a fool in the process.

Makes me smile.

I do give you credit though....you are one of the few who will actually admit to being a bigot.

Thank you for proving my point. I couldn't have planned it better. Didn't see it your way... guess I'm an idiot.
I never said you were an idiot. I said you missed the point. And you did.

On top of that, you admitted to being a bigot.

So what exactly did I say that wasnt 100% accurate?

Oh right, people like you expect to be able to spew hate and not having anyone say anything about it. My bad. I forgot how you people work.

Your right. You called me a fool. And now you are calling me a bigot...

Its your way or the highway. I get it.
Nope. Its not my way. When you admit you dont like a group of people solely based on who they are, that is bigotry. YOU said it. Not me.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod

The only ones bringing religion into these threads are the poor souls who follow a demonic version of Christianity. They are blindly spreading hate against groups of people they do not understand and refuse to listen to any arguments that counter what they have been told by someone at a sermon.

Jesus was about spreading love and acceptance, NOT hate.

Science is based on facts, observation, and the scientific method. Religion is based on faith.

Please point out these people who are spreading hatred.

I am glad you mentioned the scientific method. Evolution cannot be verified by the scientific method yet many people believe it is factual. It is still a hypothesis parading around as a theory. Just like global warming and every other agenda based "science".

The conclusion is predetermined and the "scientists" job is to come up with some "science" to back up the predetermined conclusion. The faithful subjects who cant read the bible, I mean the scientific data are at the mercy of the priests, I mean scientists who will gladly translate the data for believers, I mean people.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   

a reply to: smithjustinb

We get it. Youre a bigot.

Why are you still talking in circles, making yourself look foolish?

big·ot
noun \ˈbi-gət\

: a person who strongly and unfairly dislikes other people, ideas, etc. : a bigoted person; especially : a person who hates or refuses to accept the members of a particular group (such as a racial or religious group)

Look in the mirror my friend.
Looking now. Dont see an issue. I dont hate anyone.

I do love the 'reversal' tactic, though. "you call out people that hate so you are the one who hates"...classic reply. Almost right out of the handbook.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
a reply to: captaintyinknots

I do give you credit though....you are one of the few who will actually admit to being a bigot.

You are very good at arguing your point.

Then you start name calling the first time somebody disagrees...Why ?

You are obviously intelligent enough to make your point without name calling.
when a person admits to having a prejudice against gay people based solely on the fact that they are gay, is it really name calling to point out the bigotry?

Why is it that people think its their right to spread hatred, but not to be called on it? Dont like being called a bigot? Dont be a bigot, and certainly dont run around bragging about being a bigot.

Disliking certain behaviors is much different than disliking certain people.
Disliking an entire sect of the community because you dont like who they are is bigotry.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   

He never said he doesn't like gays. here is the real definition of bigot.
You sure about that?

The direct quote was:

I don't like homosexual life partners.

oops......

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: sputniksteve

They have saved my life twice, seriously. Twice I would have died if not for a seat belt.

I gotta say, while your posts are entertaining if not heart breaking, it is obvious that you are incapable of critical thinking and any further argument with you is a total waste of time. I hope to god that the public education system does something for your children in terms of teaching them how to think for themselves.

I wish you the best of luck.

There is no way of knowing for certain if the seatbelts saved you life or not. Punishing the many for the sake of the few is not freedom.

If by "a total waste of time" you mean that I will not be convinced by propaganda than you are correct. You are spouting nothing that is your own. everything you say and believe has been put in your head by someone else. You were taught what to think and not how to think.

All of my thoughts and opinions are my own based on my education life experience and intuition. The same cannot be said for most of those attempting to belittle me.

So for you to say that I cannot think critically while you blindly believe everything you are told is quite frankly ridiculous.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

That's right, everyone is crazy and brainwashed but you buddy!!!

Everyone else is brainwashed but you.

Everyone else has been told what to think but not you.

You are special and we are all zombies.

Just keep telling yourself that. It might keep you safe from having to question things until you die one day. Just cover those ears and eyes and Repeat. "I'm not crazy, they're crazy!!"

All of my thoughts and opinions are my own based on my education life experience and intuition. The same cannot be said for most of those attempting to belittle me.

That's funny because you sound exactly like all the other Radical Neo Conservative Fanatics I hear saying just the same stuff you're saying.
edit on 11-6-2014 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

At birth they are alike.

Guess you failed to read the page after page of how homosexual people have different shapes and different connections in the brain ....

A variation is a variation from what? The norm of course.

No. The variation is part of the norm.

Like green eyes are normal and at the same time a normal variation ... because 85% of the population has brown. And there is nothing wrong with the green eyes ... they are part of the norm while being a variation of the normal.

Basic English. (and basic math subsets)

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: CALGARIAN
They didn't turn lesbian. They experimented. That's different.
The experimental rate, last I saw, was at about 50% of the population.
It's been a few years, so that could have changed.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

Modern science is a religion based on speculations and distortions of the truth and is used as always to control and manipulate people.

Science is a Religion, huh?!?!?!?

Do we even need to debate about what a stupid statement that is, yet again????

So according to you Religion is Stupid and Science is a Religion too. So everything is all just a big lie and false teachings, yet you for some reason hold the one real truth I suppose. So are you the next messiah now who holds the truth for mankind???

Please demonstrate through a scientific experiment that evolution is true and I will present a scientific experiment that the tooth fairy is real.

The scientific method is clear. If it cannot be reproduced through experimentation it is not science. The scientific method was developed to ensure that religious crap stayed out of the scientific arena. Evolution cannot be proven by the scientific method and therefore it is not real science.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Definition of science - The intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment. a systematically organized body of knowledge on a particular subject.

Nothing about religion or belief system in there.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Evolution cannot be proven by the scientific method and therefore it is not real science.

Evolution has been proven. This is why there are anti-biotic resistant forms of bacteria today that did not exist 50 years ago, or even in some cases 1 year ago.

Futile it is

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
No not everyone. being misled is different than being crazy. I believe many are misled one way or another and we are all special whether we acknowledge it or not.

fyi I am way above average in IQ. The only thing I am lacking is the patience to continue responding to these ridiculous insults.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
S&F

1stly If a person has a problem with the way they are think, feeling and acting then THAT is a problem for them, regardless if that problem is with ones smoking habits or whether one is from the LGBT demographic and is having personal issues with that in their lifestyle etc.

2ndly Therapy should be available to those that WANT it!

I hereby cite an old ATS thread on an issue like that, however the person seeking a cure was NOT sincere in their stated aims ... where as the christian therapy organization was sincere in seeking to cure them with prayer [a case of role reversal going on here ...]

Christian therapist who claims she can help gay men go straight faces being struck off

3rdly Therapy should NEVER be forced upon anybody who is unwilling and I hereby cite this tragic example of when things go horribly wrong ...

Alan Turing

Turing was prosecuted for homosexuality in 1952, when such acts were still criminalised in the UK. He accepted treatment with estrogen injections (chemical castration) as an alternative to prison. Turing died in 1954, 16 days before his 42nd birthday, from cyanide poisoning. An inquest determined his death a suicide; his mother and some others believed it was accidental. On 10 September 2009, following an Internet campaign, British Prime Minister Gordon Brown made an official public apology on behalf of the British government for "the appalling way he was treated." The Queen granted him a posthumous pardon on 24 December 2013.

3rdly The source article linked in the OP clearly details some highlights that my fellow ATS members discussing this in this thread seem to be missing or deliberately overlooking ... so I will take this opportunity to point them out now ...

A] The article clearly states the following gay centric POSITIVE comments of support ...

One influential tea party group called Texas Eagle Forum had urged the party to support psychological treatments that seek to turn gay people straight. It comes after Republican New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie last fall signed a law banning such therapies on minors, and California has a similar law.

So a Republican Governor signed a bill banning such therapies use on minors!

“There’s a very, very small group of people who want to keep the party in the past. We were here today to try to pull the party into the future,” said Rudy Oeftering, vice president of the gay conservative group Metroplex Republicans. “The only way the party can go into the future is to start listening to young people, to start listening to people who have gay family members.”

A gay republican organization had members in attendance and who where present for the vote!

Under the new plank, the Texas GOP recognizes “the legitimacy and efficacy of counseling, which offers reparative therapy and treatment for those patients seeking healing and wholeness from their homosexual lifestyle.”

They are supportive of those who may want to change their lifestyles willingly!

Gay conservatives did come away with a rare victory at the convention: Winning the removal of decades-old language in the state party platform that states, “homosexuality tears at the fabric of society.”

Gay conservatives at the meeting made great ground and inroads into altering the Republican parties Texas party platform and having such an outrageously illogical policy attitude against homosexuals removed!

Why are these ^^^ talking points being danced around on tippy toes?

B] The negative comments in the OP's source article are completely unfounded as the therapy is being promoted to unforced and willing participants and not to minors ... and although the therapy itself maybe of dubious quality it is up to the individual seeking help on whether it is helping or harming them and I am sure that they can make up their own mind on that issue like matures adults, just like I did when I chose to lead a gay lifestyle for a decent portion of my adulthood.

It is only a mental illness if the person who is gay is suffering from it ... if they are not suffering then it is NOT a mental illness. The determining factor is the persons own wishes on the matter.

C] Homosexual sex is quite safe if one uses consent, condoms and KY lubricant!

D] The fact that the term 'sexual' can be prefaced with prefixes [hetero, homo, trans etc.] shows 100% that human sexuality is a spectrum and covers many bases ... not all of them legitimate [bestiality for a graphic taboo example (since animals can not give 'consent')].

So just to repeat .. the Texas Republican party had a meeting and changed some bad policy and advocated helping those that want help to change in lifestyle and finally A Republican Governor made it illegal in their state to apply such therapies to minors.

However some subset of the Texas Republican party had an opposing point of view ...

One influential tea party group called Texas Eagle Forum had urged the party to support psychological treatments that seek to turn gay people straight. It comes after Republican New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie last fall signed a law banning such therapies on minors, and California has a similar law.

The Fort Worth Convention Hall cheered when party leaders announced that Christie finished a distant 11th in a 2016 presidential straw poll.

And they rubbished and hence discounted what the Governor had done, in protecting minors from parental abuse, as he is no longer a front runner for the race for Potus in 2016 [this is probably because of his other rotten political posturing such as that bridge that he did or did not have closed out of spite and political payback ... however I digress].

This clearly shows that the Texas Republican party still has a long way to go when it comes to being fair and logical when it comes to truly recognizing sound policy over and above praying for the cult of public personality to come like the cavalry to the rescue!

The Gay, Is Here To Stay OK!

edit on 11/6/2014 by DietJoke because: Edited to add missing source article link.

edit on 11/6/2014 by DietJoke because: Fixed broken emoticn.

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join