It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas GOP endorses ‘treatment’ for homosexuality

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

there was a new study on line a couple weeks ago, but of course I forgot what it said, I will go look for it.

I think it is even more complicated then what you posted, there are theories that have been posted on ATS and I tend to agree they may have some merit.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: captaintyinknots
.. you mentioned this - "A bigot can be programmed to be tolerant.". Phew, that's a tough one. It can take a lot of work and they have to want to change. There is self help therapy for those who recognize their problem and who want to change. Cognitive behavioral therapy.

And before someone comes on and says it .... People chose to be bigots. People don't chose to be homosexual. That's why bigots can be changed.
edit on 6/11/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777
Great! New and updated medical and psychological information is always welcome. Gotta get things right ... and the only way to do that is to keep up with everything. If you find it, great!

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: begoodbees

originally posted by: amazing

how do you explain one identical twin (genetically identical) being gay and the other straight? It happens and has been studied.

It is not in ones dna, it is a learned behavior plain and simple. Deny ignorance please.

If one removes the false pretext that it is something one is born with then one must draw the conclusion that it is an affect of environment and life experience. And in turn should not be promoted to children as "normal" or even "ok". It should be treated as what it is and what it always has been. A social disorder that can be treated and prevented.

Now that that's out of the way, go Texas! Some one has to counter all of this ridiculous propaganda that is being pushed on the oh so gullible public.

Wait ....LOL you just said it was a learned behavior and basically a simple choice. It's neither. One does not simply choose ones sexual orientation. You did not wake up and choose to be straight. Let's deny ignorance, shall we?

I said no such thing. Please read again.

Yes. You said this, and I quote "...it is a learned behavior plain and simple..."

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Homosexuality exists in Nature. The animals must do it to shock their parents.

I thought it was self evident that people are born Gay.

Kind of surprised people think somebody just chooses to be Gay.

We have come a long way on this subject...Maybe we still have a ways to go.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Hi Deaf Alien,

I realize that bisexuals exist - but there are also people who seem to enjoy one sort of relationship, and then another entirely exclusively - ie they are one and not the other any more - this is what is to as homosexual or heterosexual.

But thank you for the clarification.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

I respectfully disagree.

You are suggesting that "conversions" are based on refusal to act on dna based traits - whereas, as someone mentioned in another post, there is the possibility that the dna trait is based on dna change factors (which you yourself posited) that changed the person internally.

Are you going back on what you've said and denying that dna based changes are not possible - after one has been born?

You've also stated that identical twins that show this diversion in behaviour have done it after their birth - which is more evidence that people *CAN* change without having to be forcefully changed by religious belief systems.

I further provide for your consideration that some people are interested in changing from heterosexual behaviours to homosexual because they later find out that they didn't have feelings for the opposite sex. But I also posit that the same traits are possible in reverse - and the particular laws that are being discussed only support this notion - and seek to aid those who feel the need to change.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
Great! New and updated medical and psychological information is always welcome. Gotta get things right ... and the only way to do that is to keep up with everything. If you find it, great!

Being homosexual is only partly due to gay gene, research finds
Study finds that while gay men share similar genetic make-up, it only accounts for 40 per cent of chance of a man being homosexual

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Homosexuality is only partly genetic with sexuality mostly based on environmental and social factors, scientists believe.

A study found that, while gay men shared similar genetic make-up, it only accounted for 40 per cent of the chance of a man being homosexual.

But scientists say it could still be possible to develop a test to find out if a baby was more likely to be gay.

In the most comprehensive study of its kind, Dr Michael Bailey, of Northwestern University, has been studying 400 sets of twins to determine if some men are genetically predisposed to being gay.

The study found that gay men shared genetic signatures on part of the X chromosome - Xq28.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: captaintyinknots

originally posted by: MALBOSIA

a reply to: MALBOSIA

I love it when people totally miss the point and peove themself a fool in the process.

Makes me smile.

I do give you credit though....you are one of the few who will actually admit to being a bigot.

Thank you for proving my point. I couldn't have planned it better. Didn't see it your way... guess I'm an idiot.
I never said you were an idiot. I said you missed the point. And you did.

On top of that, you admitted to being a bigot.

So what exactly did I say that wasnt 100% accurate?

Oh right, people like you expect to be able to spew hate and not having anyone say anything about it. My bad. I forgot how you people work.

Your right. You called me a fool. And now you are calling me a bigot...

Its your way or the highway. I get it.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

I think parents should have the right to have a baby and raise that child to puberty without ever having to see a same sex couple engaged in anytype of physical manifestations of feelings. ie hand holding kissing or spewing off at the mouth about how they were born that way. It is not a natural behavior for the majority of the masses so why must you corrupt every young mind with a non reproducing way of life.

Exactly! that is what this is really all about. Corrupt the children, each generation slightly more than the on before. Eventually you have degraded the fabric of society (the family unit) into a mush all ready to be made into mashed potatoes and served to your boogey man of choice.

Ok, so read both statements above again and tell me again how that isn't bigotry???

You want the right to Never See Anyone Acting in a Way Which You Don't Want to See!!

big·ot·ry ˈbigətrē/ noun noun: bigotry; plural noun: bigotries bigoted attitudes; intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself.

Not wanting my children to be exposed to perversion is not bigotry. perversion, deviancy or variant. They all mean the same thing.

bigot : a person who strongly and unfairly dislikes other people, ideas, etc. : a bigoted person; especially : a person who hates or refuses to accept the members of a particular group (such as a racial or religious group)

Nope, no mention of people who oppose public displays of perversion. I don't want to see a man making out with a child, chair or cow either. I suppose I am bigoted against pedophiles also because that is also a normal variance is it not?

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm
a reply to: captaintyinknots

Thank you!!

Glad to see another voice of sanity here!!

The idea that anyone who chooses Not to have a child is mentally ill or selfish is just insane. Because there couldn't be any other reason than mental illness for not having kids in today's world??? Yah, right....

Twisting my words are you. What I said was the only people I know who don't want to have children are self obsessed/narcissists. It never occurred to me that some people are brainwashed into believing they are saving the earth by not having children. Maybe those people are helping by not having children.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Without reading the source article I can't be sure, but I'm almost positive that what was actually being discussed was heritability. Heritability is the variation in a behavior that can be explained by genetic influence. So it's a bit different than saying that genes only account for 40% of the factors that go into homosexuality. To put this number into perspective most studies put the heritability of intelligence around 40-50%.

That said I don't think anyone is arguing there aren't any environmental factors that contribute to homosexuality. If there is they clearly don't know anything about behavior genetics. Same goes for those who argue solely for an environmental cause. Just as with all human behaviors sexuality is a product of nature and nurture. What genes do is predispose a person towards a certain behavior. If you have a lot of contributing genes it takes less environmental stimuli to cause the behavior to manifest. Of course by environmental stimuli I'm not strictly referring to things experienced once born. The environment the fetus experiences in the womb could be all the stimuli needed to influence sexuality.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I like to think of myself as an equal opportunity bigot.

in other words I 'HATE' everyone equally, unequivocally without malice or prejudice.

Like they say--- Shoot em all and let god sort it out, right...

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
a reply to: begoodbees

In real language normal is the opposite of a variant and visa versa. There is no such thing as a normal variant. The normal or control is there in order to compare against deviations from the norm.

It is a medical term based on statistics.

For example:

The concepts of normal variant versus anomaly are introduced, based on a statistical definition of the normal range

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Also:

Normal variant = atypical finding that is normally seen in some percentage of the population. Generally has no clinical significance, and is considered within the spectrum of normal findings.

Yes, I know. That's why I said "in real language" because this is the real world and not medical terminology. I also know that these so called normal variants are just a way of saying that something abnormal like a variant is in fact normal. Well if it were normal it would not be a variant and if it were a variant it would not meet the definition of normal. In real language with real definitions.
edit on 11-6-2014 by begoodbees because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Please explain identical twins that when grown do not share the same sexual preference. This has been scientifically observed and studied. Their dna is identical.

1 - They don't share the same brain do they? Nope. And if you had read the information provided, you would have learned that the brains of homosexuals are different from the brains of heterosexuals. Educate yourself.

2 - Thinking that identical twins have absolutely identical DNA, and that they both will get the same diseases and have the same characteristics throughout life because they are called 'identical twin' is wrong.

Scientific American

Geneticist Carl Bruder of the University of Alabama at Birmingham, and his colleagues closely compared the genomes of 19 sets of adult identical twins. In some cases, one twin's DNA differed from the other's at various points on their genomes. At these sites of genetic divergence, one bore a different number of copies of the same gene, a genetic state called copy number variants.

Normally people carry two copies of every gene, one inherited from each parent. "There are, however, regions in the genome that deviate from that two-copy rule, and that's where you have copy number variants," Bruder explains. These regions can carry anywhere from zero to over 14 copies of a gene.

New York Times

The specific changes that Dr. Dumanski and his colleagues identified are known as copy number variations, in which a gene exists in multiple copies, or a set of coding letters in DNA is missing. Not known, however, is whether these changes in identical twins occur at the embryonic level, as the twins age or both.

“Copy number variations were discovered only a few years ago, but they are immensely important,” said Dr. Carl Bruder, another author of the study at the university. Certain copy variations have been shown in humans to confer protection against diseases like AIDS, while others are believed to contribute to autism, lupus and other conditions. By studying pairs of identical twins in which one sibling has a disease and the other does not, scientists should be able to identify more easily the genes involved in disease.

John Witte, a professor of genetic epidemiology at the University of California, San Francisco, said the findings were part of a growing focus on genetic changes after the parents’ template had been laid. This and other research, Dr. Witte said, shows “you’ve got a little bit more genetic variation than previously thought.”

genetics awareness ... are identical twins 100% genetically identical?

While the two babies share the same DNA code, there is more to our genetics than just that. During development in the womb and after birth, our surroundings, exposures, and nutrition influence how our genes are expressed and how our bodies and minds develop. For example, two identical twins may have the same genes for height, but if one twin does not receive the same amount of nutrients while in the womb, it may be shorter than the other twin. We know also, that there are some changes to our genes that can happen during the embryonic period or during development. While this rarely happens, it makes it so that one identical twin may have a genetic condition, while the other twin does not. Our genetic code is a very large part of our genetic makeup, but there are other factors, genetic and environmental, that make us unique!

Science Daily - Identical Twins Not As Identical As Thought

Contrary to our previous beliefs, identical twins are not genetically identical. This surprising finding may be of great significance for research on hereditary diseases and for the development of new diagnostic methods. How can it be that one identical twin might develop Parkinson's disease, for instance, but not the other? Until now, the reasons have been sought in environmental factors. The current study complicates the picture.

Live Science - Identical Twins DNA Varies

dentical twins may not be nearly as identical as once believed.

Research in 2005 found that identical twins differ in how their genes express themselves. Now scientists have learned that all identical twins may actually differ genetically from their partners to some degree.

As indistinguishable as identical twins often appear, scientists have long known they all differ somewhat from their partners. At times such discrepancies are relatively superficial — for instance, identical twins do not have identical fingerprints. Other times such differences are tragically obvious — one may develop the rapid aging disoder progeria while the other may not.

This disproves that it is genetic. It is quite simple.

You are dead wrong ... it's quite simple. Dead wrong.

Maybe "deny being indoctrinated by propaganda" is a better term for you to grasp on to.

Maybe you should take your own wayward advice and read the information provided.
Again ... educate yourself. The brains are different. I posted the information.
Homosexuality is not a 'choice' ... it is biological in nature.

They are genetically identical! Their brains are exactly the same genetically. The only difference between them is life experience. It is not genetic! Your propaganda fails.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Normal variant is double talk. .. There is no such thing as a normal variant.

Educate yourself - this is standard terminology in the psychology and medical fields.
Normal Variant - a minor anomaly that occurs in approximately 4% or more of the population.
Example - Normal Variants in Newborns
Example - Being Left Handed is a Normal Variant

Aslo for much longer than the past 40 years that you refer to as "decades and decades" it was understood by people much more educated than either of us that this is a disorder.

Are you seriously going to claim that OLD science from hundreds and thousands of years ago is somehow smarter than science and biology from the past 4 decades? Really? Oh come on .... don't be absurd.

So everything but the past 40 years is ancient history to you huh?

Normal variation just means something abnormal that takes place regularly. So let's call it regular variation huh? That includes pedophilia, bestiality and other bad things like murder, drug addiction and so on.

Something cannot be normal and a variation. In real language words have real meaning. It cannot be a cold hot day can it?

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: OrphanApology
a reply to: luciddream

What I don't get with the whole argument of choice vs. not a choice is that even if someone chose to be in a same-sex relationship so what?

So what!?

No really.

Two adults making a personal choice on who they take to bed.

So what?

Really

Not hurting anyone. At all.

Cannot prove that it does. Having your feelings hurt because two people are in a relationship different than the fairy-tale nonsense you grew up believing in doesn't constitute hurt.

Also my mini-rant above is not directed at you Lucid. It's a general rant directed at this whole stupid argument.

The nature vs. nurture bull# makes my head hurt. Same-sex relationships don't hurt anyone.

If anything they help because glbts are far more likely to adopt and far less likely to pop out litters of children.

Over 7 billion people on earth and counting. Get over it.

If it IS a choice for certain people...so #ing what?

Edit: For me personally I didn't realize I liked girls til' I hit puberty. Like you said. My first crush was at 14 and wasn't something I controlled.

But either way if someone did choose to be with the same sex, who #ing cares? That's the way I see it.

I agree so what if people are gay. The problem arises when gay propaganda is everywhere.

I first noticed this trend with the seatbelt laws. They do about 10 to 20 years of propaganda on tv shows, commercials, movies, the so called news and mainstream music. After 1 or 2 decades of propaganda desensitizing the populace then they move to make the law.

I saw this same trend happening with gay propaganda starting in the mid nineties or so. So I knew long ago that this was coming but I am still not happy about it.

I have never been against gays, I am always against government sponsored propaganda, social engineering and the general brainwashing/indoctrination of the public.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

a reply to: smithjustinb

We get it. Youre a bigot.

Why are you still talking in circles, making yourself look foolish?

big·ot
noun \ˈbi-gət\

: a person who strongly and unfairly dislikes other people, ideas, etc. : a bigoted person; especially : a person who hates or refuses to accept the members of a particular group (such as a racial or religious group)

Look in the mirror my friend.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod

originally posted by: smithjustinb

Don't know what you people have against research.

Pot meet kettle.

It is unanimous with those who research human behavior and sexuality(scientific studies that do NOT have a religious agenda). The all agree there is NOTHING wrong with homosexual and bisexual behavior.

So what do you have against their research?

When did it become their job to decide what is right and what is wrong?

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: sensibleSenseless
Are you going back on what you've said and denying that dna based changes are not possible - after one has been born?

As I said ... orientation is biological. Homosexual and Heterosexual brains are physically different. DNA can change. But people don't choose to change their DNA. Orientation is not a choice.

You've also stated that identical twins that show this diversion in behaviour have done it after their birth

There is no behavior before birth ... so of course the difference in behavior happens after birth.

I further provide for your consideration that some people are interested in changing from heterosexual behaviours to homosexual because they later find out that they didn't have feelings for the opposite sex.

I don't know what to say to that ....
I've never heard of anything like that.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join