It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Texas GOP endorses ‘treatment’ for homosexuality

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 07:52 PM

originally posted by: smithjustinb

originally posted by: FlyersFan

I support the treatment of all mental illnesses. Whether it be Alzheimer's, autism, or homosexuality.

Homosexuality isn't a mental illness.
Definition of mental illness - A mental illness is a medical condition that disrupts a person's thinking, feeling, mood, ability to relate to others and daily functioning.

I would say that homosexuals think differently. I would say that they feel different. I would say that they find it hard to relate to a lot of people.

How can you assume to know how someone else feels or thinks? Do all "straight" people feel and think the same, NO. Do all gay people feel and think the same, NO. The only thing we all have in common is we’re human, beyond that it’s a crap shoot. To assume you know how anyone feels or thinks is beyond stupid.

Are you gay? Do you even know any gay people? I'm gay and I'm my own person with my own thoughts and feelings. I personally don't identify as gay, I identify as ME. My sexuality doesn't define me anymore than yours defines you. Actually my sexuality is pretty far down on the scale of what defines me. I don't live the “stereotypical” out, loud and proud gay lifestyle. Although I am proud and not in any way ashamed, I’m comfortable, and justified in who I am, I don’t need to parade it around. I’ve never felt the need to push it on anyone, make anyone uncomfortable by it. I also don’t need to be accepted and justified by others because of it. I don’t need to make you understand or justify why I’m gay any more than you need to explain to me why you’re straight. Essentially you and your sexuality don’t matter a blip in my world. Whether you were gay, straight, dead or alive my world keeps going on and vice versa.

I have no problems relating to others or the world. I have chosen not to segregate myself with fear, judgment, and hate. When you limit your mind and your heart that’s when you have trouble relating to people and things. As I said, my soul identity is not about being “gay”. There are bigger and more important things in life besides ones sexuality.

As for having a mental illness, I’m all good. There’s nothing wrong with my head, heart or soul. Although I do have to question what’s wrong with yours.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 07:52 PM
a reply to: imwilliam

There's a difference between neuroplasticity and differences in the gross anatomy of the brain itself. What you're describing with musicians is neuroplasticity. In a nutshell, this is the phenomenon where new and stronger connections are formed between neurons as a person's behavior causes impulses to be sent between those neurons more frequently.

So in the example of a musician, because they are trained to hear in a certain way they will have more connections in the auditory centers of their brain. These areas haven't changed size or shape there's just more neuronal activity in those areas of the brain. You may also see connections between different areas of the brain form. Let's take the musician example again. If you were to ask a flautist to air finger a song and then looked at the activity in their brain what you would probably see is not only the centers they use for their finger movements light up but also their auditory centers as well. Once again though the size and the shape of the brain have remained constant.

Now what we have seen in a few studies regarding homosexuality is a difference in the gross anatomy of the brain. Now we should preface this by saying that no two brains are the same. However, we can see commonalities when we look at large samples of brains. Generally male and female brains differ in a number of ways. For example on average females have equally sized hemispheres while males have a slightly larger right hemisphere. What we find with homosexual men is that they have, on average, equally sized hemispheres while homosexual females have a slightly larger right hemisphere. While this may not sound significant believe me when I say that it is. These are differences that would not be caused by neuroplasticity after birth.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 07:58 PM
a reply to: begoodbees

In real language normal is the opposite of a variant and visa versa. There is no such thing as a normal variant. The normal or control is there in order to compare against deviations from the norm.

It is a medical term based on statistics.

For example:

The concepts of normal variant versus anomaly are introduced, based on a statistical definition of the normal range

Normal variant = atypical finding that is normally seen in some percentage of the population. Generally has no clinical significance, and is considered within the spectrum of normal findings.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 08:01 PM
a reply to: Xcalibur254

The brain hemisphere thing is interesting when looked at in respect to why they also say Men are more "hard wired" in their sexuality than women. If Hetero Men and Lesbian women share that common brain hemisphere attribute and Gay Men and Straight Women share theirs then does that also mean that Lesbian Women are more "Hard Set" in their sexual preference and Gay Men less in theirs respectively???

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 08:01 PM

originally posted by: whyamIhere

originally posted by: captaintyinknots
a reply to: begoodbees
Nothing quite so selfish as not wanting to bring a child into this messed up world, and not wanting to contribute to the overpopulation of this planet.

Totally selfish.

How do you people come up with this stuff?

Now you are mad people have a kid ?

Totally selfish ?

They come up with it after a few adult beverages...
nope, not mad at all. Simply pointing out that not wanting kids doesnt mean you are selfish. In fact, its often a sign of the opposite.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 09:05 PM
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Hey Xcalibur,

These areas haven't changed size or shape there's just more neuronal activity in those areas of the brain.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post/questions. Seems like some of the observed changes go beyond just neuronal activity and include size and shape changes though. (Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the distinction you're making?)

Here is a study that showed increases in size among various areas of children's brains after musical instruction and the correlation with those enlarged areas in adult musicians. (It surprised me how quickly these changes can happen)

Apparently there's even a field of study, "Brain Morphometry" that involves "measurement of brain structures and changes thereof during development, aging, learning and etc.

The above mentions a difference in the size of the "posterior part of the hippocampus" among cab drivers in London "relative to controls and the general population" as well as an expansion in the "medial temporal visual area over a three month period" among people who learned to juggle.

I'm by no means an expert and not likely to become one, so this is merely a layman's understanding, but it seems to me that the question of whether or not the changes/morphological differences found in the in the brains of homosexuals is genetic is still at least an open question.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 01:35 AM

I just used the transgender example because it was the most obvious. But, I have a valid case about all of them being forms of mental illness.

We lack any good evidence as to why homosexuality is a mental disorder. But it is clear that something is wrong.

No I would say you are so lost I don't believe it is worth any discussion. I feel terribly sorry for you and the people who influenced you into thinking this way.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 01:58 AM
a reply to: sputniksteve

It is difficult to tell which ones are trolls and which one are actually that ignorant.

Even if they are trolls, I do respond sometimes in hope that some would read and maybe it would dawn on those who are ignorant of such thing.

But I do get you. It just isn't worth it sometimes.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 04:22 AM

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
a reply to: sputniksteve

It is difficult to tell which ones are trolls and which one are actually that ignorant.

Even if they are trolls, I do respond sometimes in hope that some would read and maybe it would dawn on those who are ignorant of such thing.

But I do get you. It just isn't worth it sometimes.

It's also worrying. Where did they get these rigid theories that makes them so reluctant to change their minds?

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 06:08 AM

originally posted by: begoodbees
Please explain identical twins that when grown do not share the same sexual preference. This has been scientifically observed and studied. Their dna is identical.

1 - They don't share the same brain do they? Nope. And if you had read the information provided, you would have learned that the brains of homosexuals are different from the brains of heterosexuals. Educate yourself.

2 - Thinking that identical twins have absolutely identical DNA, and that they both will get the same diseases and have the same characteristics throughout life because they are called 'identical twin' is wrong.

Scientific American

Geneticist Carl Bruder of the University of Alabama at Birmingham, and his colleagues closely compared the genomes of 19 sets of adult identical twins. In some cases, one twin's DNA differed from the other's at various points on their genomes. At these sites of genetic divergence, one bore a different number of copies of the same gene, a genetic state called copy number variants.

Normally people carry two copies of every gene, one inherited from each parent. "There are, however, regions in the genome that deviate from that two-copy rule, and that's where you have copy number variants," Bruder explains. These regions can carry anywhere from zero to over 14 copies of a gene.

New York Times

The specific changes that Dr. Dumanski and his colleagues identified are known as copy number variations, in which a gene exists in multiple copies, or a set of coding letters in DNA is missing. Not known, however, is whether these changes in identical twins occur at the embryonic level, as the twins age or both.

“Copy number variations were discovered only a few years ago, but they are immensely important,” said Dr. Carl Bruder, another author of the study at the university. Certain copy variations have been shown in humans to confer protection against diseases like AIDS, while others are believed to contribute to autism, lupus and other conditions. By studying pairs of identical twins in which one sibling has a disease and the other does not, scientists should be able to identify more easily the genes involved in disease.

John Witte, a professor of genetic epidemiology at the University of California, San Francisco, said the findings were part of a growing focus on genetic changes after the parents’ template had been laid. This and other research, Dr. Witte said, shows “you’ve got a little bit more genetic variation than previously thought.”

genetics awareness ... are identical twins 100% genetically identical?

While the two babies share the same DNA code, there is more to our genetics than just that. During development in the womb and after birth, our surroundings, exposures, and nutrition influence how our genes are expressed and how our bodies and minds develop. For example, two identical twins may have the same genes for height, but if one twin does not receive the same amount of nutrients while in the womb, it may be shorter than the other twin. We know also, that there are some changes to our genes that can happen during the embryonic period or during development. While this rarely happens, it makes it so that one identical twin may have a genetic condition, while the other twin does not. Our genetic code is a very large part of our genetic makeup, but there are other factors, genetic and environmental, that make us unique!

Science Daily - Identical Twins Not As Identical As Thought

Contrary to our previous beliefs, identical twins are not genetically identical. This surprising finding may be of great significance for research on hereditary diseases and for the development of new diagnostic methods. How can it be that one identical twin might develop Parkinson's disease, for instance, but not the other? Until now, the reasons have been sought in environmental factors. The current study complicates the picture.

Live Science - Identical Twins DNA Varies

dentical twins may not be nearly as identical as once believed.

Research in 2005 found that identical twins differ in how their genes express themselves. Now scientists have learned that all identical twins may actually differ genetically from their partners to some degree.

As indistinguishable as identical twins often appear, scientists have long known they all differ somewhat from their partners. At times such discrepancies are relatively superficial — for instance, identical twins do not have identical fingerprints. Other times such differences are tragically obvious — one may develop the rapid aging disoder progeria while the other may not.

This disproves that it is genetic. It is quite simple.

You are dead wrong ... it's quite simple. Dead wrong.

Maybe "deny being indoctrinated by propaganda" is a better term for you to grasp on to.

Maybe you should take your own wayward advice and read the information provided.
Again ... educate yourself. The brains are different. I posted the information.
Homosexuality is not a 'choice' ... it is biological in nature.

edit on 6/11/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 06:19 AM

originally posted by: sensibleSenseless
Thank goodness all these studies are conclusive evidence.

They are conclusive evidence that there is a biological factor in homosexuality.

What also of those who seem to have a change in orientation - you haven't covered why this happens.

Haven't been asked.

People who are homosexual have a biologic component and therefore are acting as their body directs them to.

People who are homosexual and 'convert' to heterosexuality do so because they make a decision to live their life contrary to their biological calling. They chose to live a certain lifestyle .. usually because they adopt a religion that requires them to. It's a case of mind over matter.

Those who convert to a heterosexual lifestyle have not physically changed ... they have mentally changed. Their bodies are still the same as previous. They've psych'd themselves into living a 'straight' life ... whereas homosexuals actually have physical and biological components that can be pointed to that show they did not chose to be homosexual.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 06:28 AM

originally posted by: begoodbees
Normal variant is double talk. .. There is no such thing as a normal variant.

Educate yourself - this is standard terminology in the psychology and medical fields.
Normal Variant - a minor anomaly that occurs in approximately 4% or more of the population.
Example - Normal Variants in Newborns
Example - Being Left Handed is a Normal Variant

Aslo for much longer than the past 40 years that you refer to as "decades and decades" it was understood by people much more educated than either of us that this is a disorder.

Are you seriously going to claim that OLD science from hundreds and thousands of years ago is somehow smarter than science and biology from the past 4 decades? Really? Oh come on .... don't be absurd.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 06:31 AM
a reply to: HardCorps

Oh good God...

Whats next, replacing grace at dinner with sacrificing a child to the great god im-ho-teb?

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 06:35 AM
This entire debate is ridiculous. I don't care if homosexuality is a disease or an illness OR a choice. The homosexuals of this country represent a very small portion of the population yet we are ALL forced to listen to the tiring bickering between politicians and the incessant news stories about hate crimes against them.

As for this legislation; the fact that so many states are so concerned with it just makes my argument more valid. Economy is dying. World is about to explode beneath us. Corporations have taken over everything and yet here we all are just waiting for the next "Politically Incorrect" thing to explode in the media.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 07:05 AM
Difficult situation. I think the therapy should be available. It absolutely should not be mandatory, and minors should not be allowed in it at all. BUT IF an adult wishes to attend one by his/her own choice then that would be their right.

As far as genetics is concerned, I hope it isn't genetic. I hope its by choice. I say this because I respect the LBGT community and the changes in culture it has brought to us. However if it is found to be genetic, and tests are developed to detect it while still in the womb... Then my personal belief is that will lead to either the elimination of the LGBT community by way of abortion, or it will lead to the outright banning of abortion.

Interesting times we live in these days... The future will bring lots of tough decisions for us all.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 09:25 AM
a reply to: XTexan

It's definitely not a choice. This isn't something you choose to be at a certain age, because that means you chose to be straight at some point. It's most likely a mixture of genetics, hormones during prenatal development and changing brain structure during infancy, youth and childhood.

Though, I don't think you have to worry about society being able to finding out this is something you can wipe out by abortion or brain surgery when they're young.

As for smithjustinb, I am thankful we live in a world where your thoughts can't become reality anymore. I don't know what the Texas GOP really believe will come out of this.

This is one of the reasons why the GOP is in the middle of a civil war, because one side wants to accept the gay rights movement while the other half wants to keep to the same ways as before...

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 09:43 AM
a reply to: Needletwo

The homosexuals of this country represent a very small portion of the population yet we are ALL forced to listen to the tiring bickering between politicians and the incessant news stories about hate crimes against them.

The Homosexuals would not take the spot lights if morons did not confront them at every corner using their old religious crap.

There is always two parties involved in an argument.

The people that are against what homosexuals do is what gives the homosexuals their spotlight.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 09:46 AM
a reply to: XTexan

It is not a choice.

Assuming you are straight man, did you make a CHOICE to LIKE GIRLS when you were around 13-14 yrs old (puberty) or did it happen by itself?

can you make a CHOICE and like the other gender tomorrow? you can't right? why? you are already programmed that way.

Either during birth where you may carry the precursors, which with environmental factors and biochemical(puberty) factors, makes you who you are.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 09:54 AM
a reply to: luciddream

What I don't get with the whole argument of choice vs. not a choice is that even if someone chose to be in a same-sex relationship so what?

So what!?

No really.

Two adults making a personal choice on who they take to bed.

So what?

Not hurting anyone. At all.

Cannot prove that it does. Having your feelings hurt because two people are in a relationship different than the fairy-tale nonsense you grew up believing in doesn't constitute hurt.

Also my mini-rant above is not directed at you Lucid. It's a general rant directed at this whole stupid argument.

The nature vs. nurture bull# makes my head hurt. Same-sex relationships don't hurt anyone.

If anything they help because glbts are far more likely to adopt and far less likely to pop out litters of children.

Over 7 billion people on earth and counting. Get over it.

If it IS a choice for certain #ing what?

Edit: For me personally I didn't realize I liked girls til' I hit puberty. Like you said. My first crush was at 14 and wasn't something I controlled.

But either way if someone did choose to be with the same sex, who #ing cares? That's the way I see it.

edit on 11-6-2014 by OrphanApology because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 10:06 AM
a reply to: smithjustinb

caveman logic.

new topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>