It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Police race to active shooter at Reynolds High School

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
This is a sad situation for the families involved worrying whether they are going to hear a call that their child is safe, its sometimes the waiting and fear of something is unbearable. Reading through the thread the comments started out commenting on this event but has quickly changed to whether there should be a ban on weapons. If the incredible increase in media coverage of gun attacks across america is not directed toward influencing the gun law then it must be a big coincidence. Being only 27 i dont have a long living memory of such events, however from what i can remember i have never seen such regular coverage of these events by the MSM. Furthermore its interesting that this is happening at a time there is a big push for a ban on firearms. Where was the wide spread reports during the heights of economic wealth of gang murders etc when all was jolly good. Not being from America so from a position i feel no bias the impression is given that civilian firearms will only lead to terrible things, thus remove them from the situation. Therefore like here in Ireland if we dont like whats happening all we can do is beat our head against a brick wall. Americas ability of its civilians to hold government to account by any means is the last problem for those in charge. When this is gone the only means to oppose an action is by talking, but if they dont like what you say im sure they wont stuff a kinderegg down your throat.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Closelywatching
A large part of the illegal guns are off the streets I guess, but I don't recall it being to bad before. Now we have a huge knife crime culture!

There are close to 2,000,000 unregistered firearms in the United Kingdom which accounts for nearly half of the total firearms in civilian hands.

I couldnt actually find that statistic in your source.

Im just curious how they would keep track of unregistered guns.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: starviego

The FBI and homeland security were on scene. As they usually are in these events.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: pirhanna
is something being added to the water supply?
or has society just hit the cracking point for the least stable?
Maybe both?

When they release the lone gunman's name, look for references to previous mental health 'treatment.'

It's the shrinks, not the drugs, nor the guns, nor people just 'snapping.'
edit on 10-6-2014 by starviego because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tucket
I couldnt actually find that statistic in your source.

You need to use the drop downs:

United Kingdom — Gun Facts, Figures and the Law

Civilian Guns

Compare
    Number of Privately Owned Firearms
    The estimated total number of guns (both licit and illicit) held by civilians in the United Kingdom is 4,060,000

Compare
    Rate of Civilian Firearm Possession per 100 Population
    The estimated rate of private gun ownership (both licit and illicit) in the United Kingdom is 6.71 firearms per 100 people

Compare
    Number of Privately Owned Rifles
    In the United Kingdom, the number of rifles in civilian possession is reported to be 540,2372 3 4

Compare
    Number of Privately Owned Shotguns
    In the United Kingdom, the number of shotguns in civilian possession is reported to be 1,576,5485 3 6

Compare
    Number of Privately Owned Handguns
    There are reportedly 14,5013 7 handguns in civilian possession in the United Kingdom

Compare
    Number of Licensed Firearm Owners
    The number of licensed gun owners in the United Kingdom is reported to be 842,6655 2 8 4 6

Compare
    Rate of Licensed Firearm Owners per 100 Population
    The rate of licensed firearm owners per 100 people in the United Kingdom is 1.349

Compare
    Number of Registered Firearms
    The number of registered guns in the United Kingdom is reported to be 2,149,3305
    2 10 4 6

Compare
    Rate of Registered Firearms per 100 Population
    The rate of registered guns per 100 people in the United Kingdom is 3.439

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I have no desire to get into a discussion about guns in the UK - but the fact that guns aren't that uncommon is fairly misleading. The very, very vast majority of Brits (outside of rural farming areas) will never have even seen a privately owned firearm. I grew up in the sticks and saw loads. Never heard of anyone getting shot though.

It's certainly true that gun violence between criminals is a problem, but outside of that - and a small handful of attrocities - you're pretty damned unlikely to die from gunfire here.

Gun deaths by country...

40 times less than in the States according to that link.

Anyhow, I don't think this story is particularly gun related other than method. Sounds like a horrible targeted murder/suicide by a coward.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: KingIcarus
I have no desire to get into a discussion about guns in the UK - but the fact that guns aren't that uncommon is fairly misleading. The very, very vast majority of Brits (outside of rural farming areas) will never have even seen a privately owned firearm. I grew up in the sticks and saw loads. Never heard of anyone getting shot though.

My point was that ultra-restrictive laws do not eliminate firearms homicides nor do they eliminate illicit ownership of firearms as illustrated by the evidence I linked. Half of the firearms owned in the United Kingdom are illegal despite the ultra-restrictive laws. Criminals will always get possession of firearms and until someone can absolutely guarantee that they cannot I will not even entertain a discussion about further impinging of my Constitutional rights.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

This kid confirms 2 gun men..

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD
a reply to: Vasa Croe

See this is what I mean…

Whether the shooter has been neutralized is still unknown, though law enforcement officers have concluded tactical efforts.

Can't ever get straight reporting

Nevermind, the thread just didn't appear in my new feed. Sigh...

Most up-to-date information is that one student is dead (victim) as is the shooter. The kids are out of the school and are going home shortly. They'll be picking up their belongings at a nearby middle school this evening. Nothing has been released about the shooter and there are students who reported that two other students were found to have guns on them. I'd keep in mind though that these are teenagers and the teenage rumor mill is both vicious and swift.
edit on 10/6/14 by WhiteAlice because: checked times on thread

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Gunman who shot and killed a student at a high school in Troutdale, Ore., was found dead as police arrived - @AP

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: amraks

My God the 2cd gunman was hiding in one of the rooms with students and they had no idea? I think that kid must have had second thoughts after # got real. Scary stuff.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: amraks

ONE shooter ONE victim. Yeah they caught another with a gun apparently but this one was apparently not with that shooter who killed himself.
edit on 14upppm by yuppa because: re read story

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
An interesting thing to note: there has been no mention yet whether or not the shooter was a student.

Im guessing no.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

Holgers got a good thought going there.... 24 x 7 x 52 = 8736 I've never thought about it before, but it makes more sense, actually, than the redundancy of 24/7/365 which is kinda like saying, "I'll see you next week, on the next Monday we'll meet."

...But it would always be 52 (with an addition of 24 hours on every fourth year)

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Weapon used was a rifle.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Destinyone
They can't get the story straight these days....none of them.

Remember this is MSM "news" Des...

I don't believe that getting the story straight is actually a part of the job description.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

originally posted by: amraks

One shooter and one resource officer was on duty so most likely the kid saw the officers gun. OR he saw the person the shooter murdered and assumed he was with him. POint is ONE shooter ONE victim. The kid is wrong according to evidence found at the scene.

Actually, the kid isn't wrong. He said that the gunman with him never did anything and "was cool". He and others presumed him to be a past student. They didn't know he had a gun on him until they were all patted down and the gun was discovered on this second person. So one actual shooter, one unidentified individual with a gun on the school property who did not shoot or brandish it--that is the kid's statement. His awareness of that second individual having a gun was not made until pat down time after they had been moved to safety.

Could it have been a resource officer? Possibly as, with the chaos of the whole thing, the police could've been unaware of the individual's position in the school. I think that, whether any of the staff at a school are armed or not is up to the school board here. I'd like to know who this second person was.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice

I edited my post. go back and read it please. still itwas prolly the resource officer with the gun on him,but they wont say. this is shooting 74 since new town BTW.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: starviego
When they release the lone gunman's name, look for references to previous mental health 'treatment.'

It's the shrinks, not the drugs, nor the guns, nor people just 'snapping.'

Can you give a reference for this or a reason for this belief?

Not doubting or dissing you here, would just like to research this topic...

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: pirhanna
is something being added to the water supply?
or has society just hit the cracking point for the least stable? Maybe both?

I would say all of the above...

Except that here in Portland, fluoride is not supposed to be in the water.

Perhaps they are sneaking in a few other "helpful" additives during the night shift...

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join