It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some things you may not have considered as uses for WD-40

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 04:22 AM
link   
I did not know some of these things; I have known guys who use WD-40 to as a lubricant.. it will do it but not very well.. Getting water/moisture out of something and protecting the surface though; it is hard to beat..
From an email I received... try it you might like it.

What Is The Main Ingredient of WD-40?
Before you read to the end, does anybody know what the main ingredient of WD-40?
No Cheating.....

WD-40 ~
I had a neighbor who bought a new pickup.
I got up very early one Sunday morning and saw that someone had spray painted red all around the sides of this beige truck (for some unknown reason).
I went over, woke him up, and told him the bad news.
He was very upset and was trying to figure out what to do .... probably nothing until Monday morning, since nothing was open.
Another neighbor came out and told him to get his WD-40 and clean it off.
It removed the unwanted paint beautifully and did not harm his paint job that was on the truck. I was impressed!
WD-40 who knew?
"Water Displacement #40".
The product began from a search for a rust preventative solvent and degreaser to protect missile parts.
WD-40 was created in 1953, by three technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical Company.
Its name comes from the project that was to find a 'Water Displacement' Compound.
They were finally successful for a formulation, with their fortieth attempt, thus WD-40. The 'Convair Company' bought it in bulk to protect their atlas missile parts.
Ken East (one of the original founders) says there is nothing in WD-40 that would hurt you.
When you read the 'shower door' part, try it. It's the first thing that has ever cleaned that spotty shower door. If yours is plastic, it works just as well as on glass. It's a miracle!
Then try it on your stove-top.
It's now shinier than it's ever been.
You'll be amazed.
WD-40 Uses:
1. Protects silver from tarnishing.
2. Removes road tar and grime from cars.
3. Cleans and lubricates guitar strings.
4. Gives floor that 'just-waxed' sheen without making them slippery.
5. Keeps the flies off of Cows, Horses, and other Farm Critters, as well. (Ya gotta love this one!!!)
6. Restores and cleans chalkboards.
7. Removes lipstick stains.
8. Loosens stubborn zippers.
9. Untangles jewelry chains.
10. Removes stains from stainless steel sinks.
11. Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill.
12. Keeps ceramic/terracotta garden pots from oxidizing.
13. Removes tomato stains from clothing.
14. Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots.
15. Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors.
16. Keeps scissors working smoothly.
17. Lubricates noisy door hinges on both home and vehicles doors.
18. It removes that nasty tar and scuff marks from the kitchen flooring. It doesn't seem to harm the finish and you won't have to scrub nearly as hard to get them off. Just remember to open some windows if you have a lot of marks.
19. Remove those nasty bug guts that will eat away the finish on your car if not removed quickly!
20. Gives a children's playground gym slide a shine for a super fast slide.
21. Lubricates gearshift and mower deck lever for ease of handling on riding mowers.
22. Rids kids rocking chair and swings of squeaky noises.
23. Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open.
24. Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close.
25. Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well as vinyl bumpers.
26. Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles.
27. Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans.
28. Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons, and bicycles for easy handling.
29. Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly.
30. Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools.
31. Removes grease splatters from stove-tops.
32. Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging.
33. Lubricates prosthetic limbs.
34. Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell).
35. Removes all traces of duct tape.
36. Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve arthritis pain.
37. Florida 's favorite use is: 'cleans and removes love bugs from grills and bumpers.'
38. The favorite use in the state of New York , it protects the Statue of Liberty from the elements.
39. WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a little on live bait or lures and you will be catching the big one in no time. Also, it's a lot cheaper than the chemical attractants that are made for just that purpose. Keep in mind though, using some chemical laced baits or lures for fishing are not allowed in some states.
40. Use it for fire ant bites. It takes the sting away immediately and stops the itch.
41. It is great for removing crayon from walls. Spray it on the marks and wipe with a clean rag.
42. Also, if you've discovered that your teenage daughter has washed and dried a tube of lipstick with a load of laundry, saturate the lipstick spots with WD-40 and rewash. Presto! The lipstick is gone!
43. If you spray it inside a wet distributor cap, it will displace the moisture, allowing the engine to start.
P.S.
As for that Basic, Main Ingredient.......
Well.... it's FISH OIL....

+18 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 04:29 AM
link   
You only need 2 things in life.
WD40 and duct tape.

If it doesn't move and should .....WD40

If it does move and shouldn't .... duct tape

You can thank me later

Cody

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Where do you get wd40 is made from fish, its made from oil

wd40.com...
edit on 10-6-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I didn't read every use you posted, but I did see similar to what I'm mentioning here in your post:

Anyway, I parked my car under a few gum trees the other day at work and I came back to see that about 30 blobs of tree sap had fallen on my car, I thought great that should be fun to get off, this is just after leaving a bird pooh or two on my new car a few months ago and after not getting around to washing it off for 3-4 weeks realising that the bloody pooh had eaten into my paint job roof and bonnet, what kind of crap paint jobs are they giving cars these days.

Back to the story, I read several tips online for removing tree sap off a car, and after trying a few of them and them basically doing nothing, I came across someone recommending WD-40, and whadya know she worked like a charm, spray it on and leave it for a few minutes and rub it off(more gently than I ended up doing that left some minor surface scrathes that can be seen in the right light. The larger spots took a few attempts but I can tell you it worked better than anything else I tried.
edit on 10-6-2014 by Haxsaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 04:40 AM
link   
a reply to: cody599

Very true. But I'd like to add JB Weld to your list.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 04:43 AM
link   
WD-40 raped my father and killed my mother!

Ha joking, its awesome, id brush my teeth with it if it didnt taste like gears and engine parts. Dont ask me how i know what they taste like.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 04:51 AM
link   
www.ee.ryerson.ca...
Here is a link to WD-40's MSDS fact sheet.

It is a petrochemical, and the hazards listed make WD-40 a poor candidate for something you want to be rubbing on your body or animals.

Catching fish? Who did WD-40 pay to compile this list of "uses" for its product?

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 04:52 AM
link   
a reply to: ecapsretuo

Catching fish? Who did WD-40 pay to compile this list of "uses" for its product?

Considering their own webpage deny this claim, no one

Consumers have told us over the years that they have caught some of the biggest fish ever after protecting their fish hooks and lures with WD-40. We believe this legend came from folks assuming that the product must contain fish oil since it appears to attract fish. Sorry Charlie®, it just ain’t so.

WD-40 Company has taken steps to respect and conserve the environment, and encourages its users to do the same. While WD-40 can be used to help protect fishing equipment from rust and corrosion, WD-40 Company does not recommend using WD-40 to attract fish.

edit on 10-6-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Yeah, I was not being so literal, but meant to express more along the lines of, "many of these claims are dubious."

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 05:00 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

WD-40 rocks!

The best time was when my daughter had chewing gum matted in her hair, a few squirts of WD-40 and it combed right out! It washed right out with normal shampoo.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Haxsaw

Yep bird dropping and Love bugs will eat up a paint job. I have sprayed WD-40 on car hoods and painted bumpers (aren't they all now ?) to keep the love bug acid from ruining the paint.. It worked for me.

Another time I was flying a Lycoming 180 H.P. aircraft that when I went to start the engine the starter splin would spin but not engage.. I was in a rather isolated area and all I could find was WD-40.. After a liberal amount of spraying into the spline channel I was able to start the engine... Well that worked for the next two days and then the same think happened. Lucky I was at my own hanger and I took a high Pressure wand and varsaul (-1 for spelling) and washed the spline channel out thoroughly.. The stuff that came out of the drain hole was pitch black.. I applied LPS-2 afterwards and never had another problem.. Talking to an old time WW ll mechanic friend he said do not use it as a lube it collects dust and has very little moderate use for lubrication.

It really is a good product for what it was designed for along with many other uses.. If a gun got wet when hunting I would spray it down with WD then wipe to clean.. Then apply Breakfree CLP.. After years around moisture and in some conditions only a crazy man would put up with...... all the guns never had a spot of rust.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Waxed my black car once...well turns out the hood was full of unseen chips and wax dried white in them....
Bit of wd40 and presto back to black

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Here's another use

Crackly vinyl records? converting to digital so as not to play them anymore for the sake of preservation?

Just spray a very thin film of WD-40 on a soft cloth and give them a wipe
Hey presto lots less noise and hiss.

That's of course if any of you still have those oldie worldy albums and singles hehe

M.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Can't wait to try it on my stainless kitchen sink!!!

Tried everything on that damn thing!

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

The best polish I have ever found is baby oil. Its used widely when linishing and polishing stainless steel

M.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Just yesterday while working on my old jeep.
My hands were caked with that black oil/grime you get from working on engines.

Anyway a good spray of WD-40 breaks that up better than any normal ole hand cleaner then washes right off with normal hand soap.

I've also used WD-40 as a starter fluid.
spray it into the air intake while someone turns the engine over and 'Vroom Vroom" there you go.
It's safer than the normal either you buy at NAPA works on Diesel and gas motors

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
We had, at my working place, problems with cocain use in the public restrooms.

It was solved by spraying (and drying) the porcelain sink with WD40. Don't know why it worked, but the result was positive.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   

14. Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots.

Did you consider the smell!?

I did get oil out of my Father in-laws white golf shirt with it, he was afraid to take it home because the wife would kill him for wearing it while working on an motor!

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: cody599

That reminds me of being in the Army.

1. If it moves, salute it.
2. If it doesn't move, pick it up.
3. If you cannot pick it up, whitewash or camouflage it.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Seeing what it did to my lawn when I was working on my bike at the weekend, I didn't believe the fish oil bit either.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join