It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your favorite sci-fi show about the human condition

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   
"Sci-Fi is an existential metaphor that allows us to tell stories about the human condition." Isaac Asimov once said, 'Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinded critics and philosophers of today. But the core of science fiction its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all."

What is your favorite sci-fi show that talks about the human condition?
I really like Star Trek Voyager & SG1

I also love how Bones talks about the human condition even that's not a sci-fi show

Here are a couple quotes from Voyager.

"Jealousy is about the fear of losing someone we love. There's no pain greater than that." -Chakotay
"I am curious. Have the Q always had an absence of manners? Or is it the result of some natural evolutionary process that comes with omnipotence?" -Tuvok

SG1 quotes

"If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, the meal was cooked long ago." -a Monk on Kheb

Col. O'Neill: Oh, here we go. Another scientist. General, please.
Capt. Carter: Theoretical astrophysicist.
Col. O'Neill: Which means?
Gen. Hammond: Which means she's smarter than you are, Colonel. Especially in matters related to the Stargate.
~~~~~~~
Capt. Carter: I'm an Air Force officer just like you are, Colonel. And just because my reproductive organs are on the inside instead of the outside, doesn't mean I can't handle whatever you can handle.
Jack O'Neill: Oh, this has nothing to do with you being a woman. I like women. I've just got a little problem with scientists.
Capt. Carter: Colonel, I logged over 100 hours in enemy airspace during the Gulf War. Is that tough enough for you? Or are we going to have to arm wrestle?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Col. O'Neill: I told him to go home.
Anteaus : I told you the same. The very young do not always do what they are told.
~~~~~~~

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Margana

Star Trek: The Next Generation. I've been rewatching them on SyFy recently and they are very good at dealing with metaphysics, philosophy and all the big questions. One i watched recently was that they had been brought into an area of space where thoughts manifest reality and for this being this was the true nature of the universe just that the crew had not reached that level of wisdom yet which I thought was quite interesting seeing as it's the same concept as The Secret.

The Borg were partly for me a representation of Germany during Naziism with their hive consciousness and they even talked like Germans
Resistance is futile said with their monotone voices was very Nazi.

I loved the program and was unfortunate that the films after First Contact were a disaster.
edit on 9-6-2014 by mclarenmp4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   
O...k I can relate to that, no problem.

They're spot on in their cosmological overall research. However we are never given the possibility that the ancients are truly wrong and can never refine our possibilit at a better life. That being said. Hope someone will prove me wrong, Christ will.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   

I like the elements of Battlestar Galactica (2004-2009). The last couple of seasons got sideways, but overall, James Callis as Dr. Gaius Baltar, best embodied the human condition of all the characters, especially his interaction with Tricia Helfer as Number Six, and Mary McDonnell as President Laura Roslin.

edit on 9-6-2014 by Boscov because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Margana

I really like Star Trek Voyager

As a bona-fide Trekker myself, I can't say I remember Voyager making any huge commentaries on the human condition. Star Trek is definitely a great place to start, but I'd stick with the original series and The Next Generation for the moral dilemmas and existential probing. (Even DS9 had its moments.)

Just off the top of my head, Next Gen had handfuls of memorable episodes such as "Measure of a Man" (dealing with civil rights?) and "The Outcast" (dealing with sexual orientation.) Deep Space Nine is a huge allegory (in my opinion) of Faith vs. Humanism, and how they're pretty useless alone, and require cooperation.

However, I still consider 2001: A Space Odyssey to be the quintessential, epitomizing commentary on humanities' journey.

edit on 9-6-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Sump3

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand what you are trying to say? I'm running on empty fumes.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

I really like Star Trek Voyager

As a bona-fide Trekker myself, I can't say I remember Voyager making any huge commentaries on the human condition. Star Trek is definitely a great place to start, but I'd stick with the original series and The Next Generation for the moral dilemmas and existential probing. (Even DS9 had its moments.)

Just off the top of my head, Next Gen had handfuls of memorable episodes such as "Measure of a Man" (dealing with civil rights?) and "The Outcast" (dealing with sexual orientation.) Deep Space Nine is a huge allegory (in my opinion) of Faith vs. Humanism, and how they're pretty useless alone, and require cooperation.

However, I still consider 2001: A Space Odyssey to be the quintessential, epitomizing commentary on humanities' journey.

I was never a big sci-fi fan and was only introduced to SG1 & Voyager cause my boyfriend watches them. It started with SG1 & catching parts of the show here & there. I decided to give it a try cause my bf said it was really good. He was correct, I became hooked. I love Dom DeLuise(sp?) & his sons!

I had seen a bit of voyager when I was 16 & liked Janeway so when my boyfriend asked if I wanted to check it out I agreed. I'm in season 6 atm.

I think eventually I'll check out the other Trek shows & movies. Babylon 5 was recommended as well as Firefly, which I did see a couple e
edit on 9-6-2014 by Margana because: typo

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Trek movies

My favorites are Trek 1: The Motion Picture (for reasons that are difficult to explain,) Trek 4: The Voyage Home (A very poignant, yet fun film,) and First Contact (for the same reasons.) Otherwise Trek movies are pretty much just action-explosion extravaganzas (skippable.)

Enjoy! Sci-fi is my favorite genre whether it be cheesy and laughable, or deep and philosophical.

edit on 9-6-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Thanks for the advice. I saw Nemesis when it came out in theaters cause a boyfriend took me to see it but there was a lot I found confusing because I had never seen any Star Treks. There was a couple times when my Dad would have NG on when I was a little girl but the one time I saw Jordie without his visor on, I got freaked out & didn't want to watch anymore in case they ever showed him without the visor on.

I love the acting capabilities of Kate Mulgrew & Tim Russ. When Janeway had to play Queen Arachnia, her old school black & white film facial expressions were awesome! I just watched "Riddles" where Tuvok loses his memory, his facial expressions say more than words do. It's a fine art when you can say a lot with just the expressions on your face.

Christoper Judge is also really good at facial expressions. He doesn't show them often but when he does, they are great.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   

I liked Voyager from Season 3 onwards, it was less hokey than the 1st few seasons. The doctor used to really annoy me in the 1st 2 but they wrote him a lot better from season 3 and I actually ended up enjoying him. He was a poor mans Data though. And Jeri Ryan as 7of9 was great too, she was a bit shaky initially but she grew into the role and it was like watching a hurt child grow out of fear, the few moments she smiled add weight to the scene.
But nothing can beat the cast of TNG I'm afraid.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Tim Russ is a very talented actor and I'm glad he finally got to take a front row role in Star Trek. Love his full-blooded Vulcan--only second to Spock himself. (T'Pol was atrocious!)

It's funny that you mention disliking Levar Burton as Geordi, because he's one of the most expressive actors ever to be cast in Trek (think of how difficult acting would be when your eyes are constantly covered,) yet he did an amazing job!

Since we're discussing Voyager, "The Thaw" is one of the finest episodes of Trek ever.

Alright! Enough fanboy soapbox praise from me.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Blade Runner
About mortality...the greatest and saddest part of our human condition.

Alien
Political at first but ultimately about the raw human will to survive

A Space Odyssey
About the struggle to keep morals and ethics ahead of the explosion
of scientific advancements

Star Wars
Yadayada...good over evil, and the very cool idea that there is an unknown
force behind all life and matter.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Quantum Leap used its SF plot device to depict the struggles of the human race with its own baser nature. Off the top of my head, the show dealt with racism, alcoholism, physical abuse in a relationship, & even JFK's assassination. Sam, the lead character, was able to "right past wrongs" by acting from what was a good heart, & being a decent sort.
This show could easily have been an overly simplistic morality play, but somehow, the producers, writers, & cast made it work.
edit on 6/10/2014 by BuzzCory because: Punctuation

edit on 6/10/2014 by BuzzCory because: Can't forget the writers; there's no show without them

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: mclarenmp4

I liked Voyager from Season 3 onwards, it was less hokey than the 1st few seasons. The doctor used to really annoy me in the 1st 2 but they wrote him a lot better from season 3 and I actually ended up enjoying him. He was a poor mans Data though. And Jeri Ryan as 7of9 was great too, she was a bit shaky initially but she grew into the role and it was like watching a hurt child grow out of fear, the few moments she smiled add weight to the scene.
But nothing can beat the cast of TNG I'm afraid.

Agreed, it was a bit slow in the beginning & when it got to season 3 my boyfriend said "this is when it get's good"
I love how the Doctor has grown too, Kes helped him & he in turn helped 7 of 9. The Doc has a really good singing voice but Jeri Ryan is much better. Plus who doesn't love that outfit they have her in, va va voom hehehe, it really accentuates her body nicely. I do love the growth of her character & even how she bonds with Naomi Wildmen. ((Naomi was a great addition))

NarcolepticBuddha
I didn't say I disliked him, I just was grossed out by seeing his eyes the way they were. I was 8yrs old so it's understandable. I just found out that Levar Burton created & hosted Reading Rainbow & I excitedly flipped out. I was all "OMG Levar was the host of Reading Rainbow!!!!!" I watched that show a bit growing up and had no idea that it was carried on until 2009. I also love how Levar is bringing it back but better!!!

Since we're discussing Voyager, "The Thaw" is one of the finest episodes of Trek ever.
I couldn't recall the episode by the name but I looked it up, yes that was a great episode!!!!!!
edit on 10-6-2014 by Margana because: forgot a line

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Fringe had a lot to say, in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 03:12 AM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer
I did see the first couple episodes of Fringe and liked it but it ended up in a time slot with a show that I had been watching for longer so it got put on the back burner. It's on the list of shows to watch.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   
The Prisoner (1967)

For movies, Solaris (1972), Stalker (1979), and others.

new topics

top topics

join