It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists teleport quantum information across the room

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Correct me if I am wrong but it looks like this is really a first.

Researchers working at TU Delft's Kavli Institute of Nanoscience in the Netherlands claim to have successfully transferred data via teleportation. By exploiting the quantum phenomenon known as particle entanglement, the team says it transferred information across a 3 m (10 ft) distance, without the information actually travelling through the intervening space.

In this case, the team teleported information contained in one quantum bit (or qubit, the quantum analog of a standard computer bit) to a completely separate quantum bit, using specially-designed computer chips. Each chip featured a synthetic diamond to contain the entangled electrons and several nitrogen atoms. Data was then encoded for transmission in the transmitting diamond’s nitrogen atom as alterations of the spin of the electron. The electron in the receiver diamond then showed the opposite of that manipulation at precisely the time that the transmission was "sent."

In future experiments, the TU Delft team is planning on increasing the distance to more than 1,300 m (4,200 ft) with chips housed in several buildings across the university campus. The researchers hope to be the first to realize evidence to disprove Einstein’s rejection of the entanglement theory.

What else is there to say ? We can imagine in the (far?) future teleportation of physical items or even living organisms, and why not duplication (with the future version of 3D printing) ? Imagine, at the very moment of your death, a message appears in front of your eyes saying "You are about to die, would you like to restore a previously saved copy of yourself ?", you choose "yes", but then another message appears saying "Not enough credit!". My hope is that such technology will be used to free mankind instead of enslaving it more (star-trek?).

link

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: gosseyn
sending you some quantic joy now spreading across the universe, scientific proof of what has been happening but could never be proven.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   

No thanks....When it is my time, that is good enough for me. You really want to keep paying to continue living here, why is that? I love my life, family, etc but when the lord calls upon me I will leave as requested. I don't see why people are so in love with trying to find ways to live forever on Earth.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Kudos to the quantum pioneers who thought of and are working on this experiment. Wonder how long it will take before a steady stream of information is opened up.

This may mean instant communication (at some point in the future) with space ships in deep space or colonies on Mars - spooky messages at a distance.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   
It will transport physical things as much as a telephone will transmit me a pizza.

However, it will allow me to order a pizza without the use of wires or radio signals or other things that currently limit the way in which we transmit data.

Imagine being able to communicate to Mars in real time, instead of the lag we currently experience.

I believe this is fascinating. But it's not a way to transmit physical things, not as far as I am aware, unless we already have the ability toe 'teleport' physical things. At best we can transmit information about physical things, but we can do that already, just slowly over great distance.

at least thats my take on it... it takes light 8 minutes to reach the earth from the sun. So if we were to use lasers to transmit data, it would take 8 minutes for that data to reach from the earth to the distance of the sun. With this, it should be possible to be instant...

edit on 9-6-2014 by sn0rch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein

No thanks....When it is my time, that is good enough for me. You really want to keep paying to continue living here, why is that? I love my life, family, etc but when the lord calls upon me I will leave as requested. I don't see why people are so in love with trying to find ways to live forever on Earth.

Well, my little story was meant as a criticism of the current economic paradigm.

But if I let go my imagination, in the far future, I can imagine people being able to choose the moment of their death, when they feel they are ready. I can imagine myself wanting to travel across the universe and meet every form of intelligent life and learn from them etc.. before I chose to die.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: sn0rch

Good in theory but not before we can do this across a vacuum.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Gah this seems like a rehash of a story from several weeks ago. It was also poorly reported back then too. What they have done is develop a more reliable method of transmitting data across an entanglement link, this has actually been done over many kilometres in the past but this new method makes it more reliable. Another crucial point to keep in mind is that they didn't actually transmit meaningful data, if they did then they have completely broken the laws of physics as we understand them. What they are sending is completely random data, that's the only type of information you can transmit using quantum entanglement.
edit on 9/6/2014 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I wonder if the NSA are working on ways to hack into it .This has the potential to reinvent the computer ,I would think .Speed would not be a issue for sure .neet :>)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

Why completely random ? If we can change the spin several times in a row, we could code any message, a bit like morse code, don't you think ?

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder
Gah this seems like a rehash of a story from several weeks ago. It was also poorly reported back then too. What they have done is develop a more reliable method of transmitting data across an entanglement link, this has actually been done over many kilometres in the past but this new method makes it more reliable. Another crucial point to keep in mind is that they didn't actually transmit meaningful data, if they did then they have completely broken the laws of physics as we understand them. What they are sending is completely random data, that's the only type of information you can transmit using quantum entanglement.
i dunno about that. special relativity sure... but general relativity loosens up a little on that. especially lately. it seems that you could in certain models "violate" ftl but the ways to do so are pretty restrictive in thier own right. for instance you could have a traversible wormhole that exists outside the local reference frame and globally it would allow ftl. but you could not have two of them in the same space because that leads to CTLs and causality violation via a forbidden time travel solution. on top of that what is allowed does depend on the reference frame. and what is experienced depends on the reference frame. a ship destined for alpha proxima travelling at 99 percent c appears to observers on earth to take more than 4 years and require 4 years of consumables like food and water and so forth. but to the crew the trip takes a few days or weeks at most and that includes consumables. that is just relativistc time dilation.

now if instead you opened a worm hole and sent the distal opening towards a star 1000 light years away at nearly light speed; a person looking through the wormhole from this end would see the destination appear in a few weeks. and the wormhole would be usable for travel to the destination in a few weeks even though the distal end of the worm hole still has 999 years and 10 months (approx) of travel left to get to the destination. and this does not violate the laws of physics even though it screams violation and impossible even to a starry eyed believer in interstellar FTL travel. but under certain space time models and solutions for general relativity is is permissible. however getting from mathematically and theoretically valid to actually doing it is a different matter altogether.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: gosseyn

Why completely random ? If we can change the spin several times in a row, we could code any message, a bit like morse code, don't you think ?

No because we cannot change the spin to what ever we want, that is the entire problem. When we measure the electron we collapse the wave function and it gets a randomly determined spin, so when someone on the other side of the link measures the partner electron they'll just get random information.

This video doesn't really explain it but it conveys the general point:

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

I read the article and there is no information concerning transfer time loss. This has to occur, according to theory, during transception using entangled particles, I wonder if this was not measured, missed or not expected (as it should be). The transit time for 10 feet would be around ~10ns in normal space (or ~120 inches divided by 11.78" equals number of nanoseconds of propagation delay between A and B). With entangled pairs, the propagation delay is infinitely small and therefore transfer appears instantaneous regardless of distance. The longer distance experiment should be able to show those changes in propagation and produce better measurements.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   

We are looking from life in the wrong places. Any other civilization that prospered, or survived this kind of era would be using quantum mechanics in their technology. Communication would be quantum or better.

I'm willing to bet their is a quantum internet for linked societies.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: an0nThinker
a reply to: sn0rch

Good in theory but not before we can do this across a vacuum.

Why would a vacuum interfere with this type of information jump? I hope the experimenters take that into account and see if it works the same in a vacuum.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder

originally posted by: gosseyn

No because we cannot change the spin to what ever we want, that is the entire problem. When we measure the electron we collapse the wave function and it gets a randomly determined spin, so when someone on the other side of the link measures the partner electron they'll just get random information.

This video doesn't really explain it but it conveys the general point:

Since both these particles are linked then changing one delinks these particles. Could we detect enough particles to send a stream of information in the time domain? We are technically detecting that they are linked and information is being passed.
edit on 9-6-2014 by an0nThinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   
It is an interesting idea, we have always wanted instant teleportation.

But saving your life to a backup copy is taking it too far. If this is developed to a larger level, there is a data transfer from one teleportation, to another. This data could potentially be stored, and replicated. Then we have instant clones? Does anybody actually want people like the Rockafellars, Rothschilds or even the Queen of England to replicate themselves, but to an earlier age? Talk about a nightmare. Our only hope with or supreme overlords in government is the hope that they will die someday.

Either way the idea is an interesting topic to discuss, but with any technology there is the potential to misuse or hack it. So we start having teleportation devices in our homes, some hacker gets access to mine, and teleports a 7ft Grizzly bear into my living room.

What would the transfer feel like? is there a potential being stuck in this void? like being held hostage in this purgatory-like state? Sure would clear out our prison space. "You have been sentenced to pugatorial prison for 500 years, and Justin Biebers top hits will be played on repeat for the duration of your sentence" Talk about torture...

But replicating objects would be awesome for food. Make a recipe once, and store it on your computer and recall it whenever you want. The possibilites would be endless. Cars, guns, drugs, hookers, money, nothing would have value because it could all be digitally materialized.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Classical physics Malus's law simulation replicates spooky action at distance:

L1= (rand()%100 < ((cos(P1) * cos(P1)) * 100)) ? 1:0
L2= (rand()%100 < ((cos(P2) * cos(P2)) * 100)) ? 1:0

Using Malus's law calculate probability of photon L1 passing through polarizer P1, and L2 through P2. If random number between 0 and 100 is less than photon's probability percentage the photon goes through (= 1), otherwise it gets blocked (= 0).

if (L1 == L2) MATCH++ else MISMATCH++
RESULT= (MATCH - MISMATCH)/(N_MEASURE/100))

If both L1 and L2 passed through (1 = 1) or both got stopped (0 = 0) increase matching pairs counter, otherwise increase opposite pairs counter. That's all, just like in the experiment. Here is roughly what's happening with 100 photon pairs sequences:

P1= -25 -> Malus's law -> 82% ~ 82 out of 100
P2= 25 -> Malus's law -> 82% ~ 82 out of 100

0111110011 1111111011 1111100111 1111111111 1111111110 1101111011 0111101110 1111111111 1111111111 1111101111 1111111111 1110111011 1111001111 1111111101 0111111101 0011011111 1011111011 1111110001 1110001111 1101110111

match= 71
mismatch= 29
num_data= 100
Result: (71-29)/(100/100) = 42%

QM prediction: cos^2(50) * 100 = 41.32%

Ooops, this was supposed to be impossible. So Quantum Mechanics is just misunderstood classical physics?! Awww.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   

However, it will allow me to order a pizza without the use of wires or radio signals or other things that currently limit the way in which we transmit data. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Really? What happens when coupled with a 3D printer? Basically, you have a crude teleporter. But, as both sides of that get better and better, you're constantly getting closer to a true teleporter.

Personally though, I'm with Bones. Not keen on being disintegrated on the hopes that some computer can reassemble me. No thanks.

top topics

join