It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rik Mayall, star of Bottom, and The Young Ones.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
It is with the deepest possible regret, that I bring tidings of the death of Rik Mayall, star of two of the most controversial, and utterly wonderful shows of British television in the eighties, who has died aged fifty six.

I want to use this thread to pay my disrespects, and to offer up a prayer and a cheap cocktail in his name.

www.bbc.co.uk...

May angels wielding cricket bats with nails on, guard your journey!

edit on 9-6-2014 by TrueBrit because: Grammatical balls up.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit
Just heared it on the news here in The Netherlands at 18:00 dutch time... I Always looked forward seeing his rediculous but o so funny show with that band of halfwit friends of his in it.

Much too soon at 56 and I hope that his family and close friends will find peace with his passing.

RIP Rik

edit on 9/6/2014 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Very sad , Rik Mayall was a big part of comedy in my youth , Rick in The Young Ones , Alan B'Stard and of course Lord Flashheart .

Rest in Peace Rik and thanks for the laughs.

edit on 9-6-2014 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

I read this earlier on FB, so disheartened.

Watching young ones was one of the main shows that got ne interested in British Cinema.

You will be missed.

*sigh*

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I understand Rik Mayall had a very bad accident in the late nineties. This was surely a contribution to his early death.

Quad bike accident
On 9 April 1998, Mayall was injured after crashing a quad bike near his home in Devon.[23] Mayall's daughter Bonnie and her cousin had asked him to take them for a ride on the bike – a Christmas gift from his wife – but he refused due to rain, and went alone. Mayall's wife Barbara looked out the window and saw him lying on the ground with the bike. Believing he was joking she initially left him for a few minutes. He was in a coma for several days. Mayall was airlifted to Plymouth's Derriford Hospital, with two haematomas and a fractured skull. During the following 96 hours, Mayall was kept sedated to prevent movement which could cause pressure on his brain. His family was warned he could die or have brain damage.[24]
After five days doctors felt it safe to bring Mayall back to consciousness. In his 2005 spoof biography, Mayall claims he "rose from the dead". During Mayall's hospitalization, the Comic Strip special Four Men in a Car was broadcast for the first time. The film involves Mayall's character being hit by a car. Mayall and Edmondson have joked about this event in stage versions of Bottom, Edmondson quipping: 'If only I'd fixed those brakes properly', and Mayall referring to himself: 'You must know him, that tosser who fell off the Quad Bike'. The pair wrote the first draft of their feature film Guest House Paradiso while Mayall was hospitalised. They planned to co-direct but Edmondson took on the duties himself. Mayall returned to work doing voice-overs. His first post-accident acting job was in the 1998 Jonathan Creek Christmas special, as DI Gideon Pryke, a role he reprised in 2013.

I loved his comedy. He will be missed.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: antoinemarionette

Yes it is possible that his previous accident had a hand in his eventual end. My flabber, is officially ghasted however, at the sudden nature of his death.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
That sucks I was just talking about SPG as there was a gerbil on the loose in our neighborhood needless to say nobody knew who I was talking bout...

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Nooooooooooooooooo

And let us not forgot other classics such as drop dead fred and star roles in blackadder as lord flash heart.

Will be missed.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Very sad.

I looked up to him as a kid.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
"I HOPE YOU'RE SATISFIED THATCHER!!!"

I will toast to you Sir, Bottoms Up!!!

Goddess Bless You Rik!!!
Rest Peacefully!!!
edit on 9-6-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
RIP, he was a legend.
Alan B'Stard was very funny.

Some funny quotes of him as Lord Flashheart:-

Lord Flasheart: All right men, let's do-oo-oo it! The first thing to remember is: always treat your kite
[Flashheart taps the picture of the Sopwith Camel with his cane]
Lord Flasheart: like you treat your woman!
[Flashheart whips the air with his cane]
Lieutenant George: How, how do you mean, Sir? Do you mean, do you mean take her home at weekends to meet your mother?
Lord Flasheart: No, I mean get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back.
Captain Blackadder: I'm beginning to see why the suffragette movement want the vote.
Lord Flasheart: Hey! Any girl who wants to chain herself to *my* railings and suffer a jet movement gets *my* vote!

Lord Flasheart: Mind if I use your phone? If word gets out I'm missing, five hundred girls will kill themselves. And I wouldn't want them on my conscience, not when they ought to be on my *face*! Hello? Cancel the state funeral, tell the king to stop blubbing, Flash is not dead! I simply ran out of juice! And before five hundred girls all go 'oh, what's the point in living any more?' I'm talking about petrol! Woof! Send someone along to pick me up. General Melchett's driver will do, she hangs round with a big knob so she'll be used to a fellow like me. Woof!
Captain Blackadder: Look, do you think you could make your obscene phone call somewhere else?
Lord Flasheart: No, not in half an hour you rubber desk-johnny! Send the bitch with the wheels right now or I'll fly back home and give your wife something to hang her towels on!
Lord Flasheart: [hangs up] Right! Let's dig out your best booze and talk about me till the car comes!

Lord Flasheart: You look like a decent British bloke. I'll park the old booties on you if that's okay.
Private Baldrick: It would be an honour, my Lord.
Lord Flasheart: Of course it would! Ha!
Lord Flasheart: [Flashheart rests his feet on Baldrick's back and sighs] Have you any idea what it's like to have the wind rushing through your hair, George?
Lieutenant George: No, Sir.
Lord Flasheart: [Flashheart breaks wind in Baldrick's face] He has!

Lord Flasheart: Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait a minute. Now I may be packing the kind of tackle that you'd normally expect to find swinging about between the hindlegs of a Grand National winner, but I'm not totally stupid. I've got the kind of feeling you'd rather we hadn't come.
Captain Blackadder: No, no, no, I'm very grateful. It's just that I'd slow you up.
Lord Flasheart: I think I'm beginning to understand.
Captain Blackadder: Are... are you?
Lord Flasheart: Just because I can give multiple orgasms to the furniture just by sitting on it, doesn't mean that I'm not sick of this damn war: the blood, the noise, the endless poetry.

Lord Flasheart: Ok chums, let's doooooo it. As the bishop said to the netball team.

Lord Flasheart: Enter the man who has no underwear. Ask me why.
Lieutenant George: Why do you have no underwear, Lord Flash?
Lord Flasheart: Because the pants haven't been built yet that'll take the job on!

Captain Blackadder: Flasheart, this is Captain Darling.
Lord Flasheart: Captain Darling? Funny name for a guy isn't it? Last person I called darling was pregnant twenty seconds later.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I over use one of his lines from the Young Ones where he was laying on his stomach with his legs spread and Vivian hit him square in the man parts with a cricket bat.
His reply, "Ha ha, Vivian you missed both my legs!"

Good stuff.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   

I have extremely fond memories of watching Bottom with my father (remember the channel 'Gold'?) growing up.

Rik and Adrian had slapstick humour down to a T, and their live show performances were always brilliant and often contained excellently improvised content. It is a damn shame he has died so relatively young.

RIP Rik - you did British Comedy proud.
edit on 9-6-2014 by DazDaKing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
And there is a very young Rik Mayall in American Werewolf in London- in the Lamb and Slaughter.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
oh lordy

now thats put a dampener on the night

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
A genuine legend.

Off the top of my head I honestly can't think of another comedian, well maybe his old partner in crime Ade Edmondson, who made me genuinely laugh out loud as much as Rik did.

Who can forget his entrance as Captain Flasheart in Blackadder - he steals the show from a cast of 'megastars'.

Alan B'Stard was sheer brilliance.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

Oh Lordy Lordy, in fact.

I know, it sucks. I got this flipping silver border for some reason, and even that perk is not cheering me up!

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Sad, sad news his brand of humour will be sadly missed. We all watched Bottom and roared with laughter at it along side another one of our very British lavatorial programmes The League of Gentlemen. It was a great era for humour and we sadly miss these programmes - Ah Rick, never more. RIP

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
From OP's source.

Edmondson added: "There were times when Rik and I were writing together when we almost died laughing.

They were some of the most carefree stupid days I ever had, and I feel privileged to have shared them with him.

"And now he's died for real. Without me. Selfish bastard."

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
RIP.

2013 -

top topics

<<   2 >>

join