It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wars & Battles Throughout History

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
For those of you who are interested in History, the following link gives you access to wars fought throughout history.

As interests vary I thought it would be an idea for you to create your own discussions on the subject/war that interests you most.

militaryhistory.about.com...

Roman Republic: Battle of the Allia
First Punic War: Battle of the Aegates Islands
Second Punic War: Battle of the Trebia
Second Punic War: Battle of Lake Trasimene
Second Punic War: Battle of Cannae
Second Punic War: Battle of Zama
Third Macedonian War: Battle of Pydna
Gallic Wars: Battle of Alesia
Caesar's Civil War: Battle of Pharsalus
Caesar's Civil War: Battle of Munda
Wars of the Second Triumvirate: Battle of Philippi
Roman Civil Wars: Battle of Actium
Roman Empire: Battle of the Teutoburg Forest
Roman Empire: Battle of the Milvian Bridge
Gothic War: Battle of Adrianople
Hunnic Invasions: Battle of Chalons

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: keenasbro
Should not the title actually be "Wars of the Roman Republic/Empire".
Granted they are the best documented, but there was plenty of other warfare going on in those days.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   
If you click the link provided you can pick your war/s
I did say "please click link"

Click the link!

a reply to: punkinworks10

edit on 9-6-2014 by keenasbro because: to alter text

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: keenasbro
Right on
I will have to admit I didn't check out the link, I will
check it out though.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Ok, so I did check out the link, it's stil decidedly euro- centric, though they did list my favorite battle .
The battle of Stamfod bridge, where the king of Norway , harald sought to claim the throne of England from his cousin? Harold. Fighting a rear guard action, a lone Norwegian soldier held the bridge against the British army with a length of anchor chain, until he was stabbed in the groin with a sword from underneath, between the planks of the bridge.
It ranks right up there with Thermopylae, the charge of the light brigade, the japanese battle where a group of samurai defended their lord to the last man, against a vastly superior force(10-1 advantage?), with the last samura, after his lord had fallen ,i taking his own life as the enemy soldiers advanced on their position.
Or any number of forgoten soldiers who did what they had to do and gave their lives doing it.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Agreed there are battles and wars that had tremendous impact on the globe today that didn't get mentioned,for example the Axumite invasion of Arabia with the key battle of Mecca under Abraha which had it not been for a stubborn elephant would have gone to the Christians and thus snuffing out Islam before it was a thought,imagine that for a second no invasion of Mediterranean Europe by Islamic Moors and Arabs,which would lead to no need for a Crusade and the later renaissance based in-part by Islamic scholarship kicked of by Roger II of Sicily.

Another Battle/war was Rome vs Merotic Kush under Augustus Caesar and Queen Amanishekhato respectively who stopped the Romans dead in it's tracks ,securing the continued independence of her country for the next 1700yrs until the time of Arab infiltration and settlements. even the war of France vs Haiti is not mentioned with lost of that Island made the Louisiana purchase more easier.

The Battle of Ain Jalut Mameluke ruled Egypt stopped the Mongols from moving further west-wards stopping the likely hood of much of the world speaking some form of Mongolian today.
Mention need to be made of the Mongolian attempted invasion of Japan which had ramification to this day as the concept of the divine wind was born during those times, later to be played out in the Kamikaze missions of WWII which wracked havoc on our forces making the excuse and ultimate use Atomic Bomb more likely .

Battle of Hastings great battle with 11 thousand men a peace on both sides, Ghana could field 200,000 men 40,000 archers and cavalry units, later in Mali the emperor had an army of 100,000 men 10,000 were chain-mailed cavalry force, would be great to see a gamer's mock-up battle if either the Ghanians or the Malians decided they wanted England back in those days.

In any case stars and flags to the O.P I love me some history..

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I didn't know they could make a list! So many wars.
wish we had a proper history forum.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
zazzafrazz start your own history thread.
This thread has died unfortunately, a big thank you to those that posted here.
I could have sweetened the title a bit I guess and added a few more links.
I just thought that wouldn't be appropriate being History and all.

I personally have hours of good reading, even in the Children's story section.
I tend to lean more the the Roman era, I have watched countless doco's on the subject.

Claudius being one of my favourite emperors 41 - 54 AD mainly for the reason that he was considered an Idiot by all.

Suffering from ill-health and an alarming lack of social skills, for which most believed him mentally handicapped, he received no public office from Augustus except once being invested as an augur (an official Roman soothsayer). Under Tiberius he held no office at all.
Generally he was considered an embarrassment at court.

Not the case it seems. www.roman-empire.net...

He decided to invade England

Immediately after the failed rebellion of AD 42, Claudius decided to distract any attention from such challenges to his authority by organizing a campaign to invade and conquer Britain. A plan close to the army's heart, as they already once before had intended to do so under Caligula. - An attempt which had ended in a humiliating farce.

a reply to: zazzafrazz

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
He was like a Mr Bean in the ancient world, not born in Italy, has physical deformities, dribbles and shakes ends up emperor when found hiding behind a curtain, linked to the mot famous names of that time Herod Agrippa, Caligula, Nero, the Praetorian Guard.

I agree, he is a fascinating historical figure.

Re History forum see thread to see what I meant : www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: keenasbro
zazzafrazz start your own history thread.
This thread has died unfortunately, a big thank you to those that posted here.
I could have sweetened the title a bit I guess and added a few more links.
I just thought that wouldn't be appropriate being History and all.

I personally have hours of good reading, even in the Children's story section.
I tend to lean more the the Roman era, I have watched countless doco's on the subject.

Claudius being one of my favourite emperors 41 - 54 AD mainly for the reason that he was considered an Idiot by all.

Suffering from ill-health and an alarming lack of social skills, for which most believed him mentally handicapped, he received no public office from Augustus except once being invested as an augur (an official Roman soothsayer). Under Tiberius he held no office at all.
Generally he was considered an embarrassment at court.

Not the case it seems. www.roman-empire.net...

He decided to invade England

Immediately after the failed rebellion of AD 42, Claudius decided to distract any attention from such challenges to his authority by organizing a campaign to invade and conquer Britain. A plan close to the army's heart, as they already once before had intended to do so under Caligula. - An attempt which had ended in a humiliating farce.

'
I think he played the fool for one reason.."SELF PRESERVATION" to be a Caesar in Rome was quite a dangerous occupation and in the era of the Julio-Claudian dynasty that job was simply murderous so wanna breathe?? shut the hell-up say nothing don't act too bright,you might just die in bed noticed that even after he "made it " he still remained a paranoid wreck that end up killing his ol lady on suspection that she was trying to do him in, I read some where that the upper crusties of Rome were crazy like that because of lead in the piping ,bowls and make-up.
edit on 11-6-2014 by Spider879 because: fix

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   
if any single battle in history had been different, one man died instead of living, or another lived instead of died, our world would be unrecognizable. everything happened 'perfectly' in history to make this point in time happen, fascinating

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Hmm
Ask and you shall receive.
Not so apparant it seems, 3 pages of yes please's.

Topic by topic, thread by thread, get's messy dosen't it.

You tried zazzafrazz. There are history forums you can join. I won't post a link here.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Bit unfair to suggest that Mr Bean dribbles. He's not that bad.

A lot of Roman emperors and writers had health issues, they spent so many years travelling back and forth through varying climates with no medication.

new topics

top topics

join