It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans Bribe Democratic Senator to Quit- He accepts!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
The Republican party in Virginia has committed outright bribery in their on-going efforts to deny healthcare to low income residents in that state, by denying the Medicaid expansion authorized by the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare). The Washington Post is reporting that Republicans offered to move state Sen. Phillip P. Puckett (D) and his daughter into high paying and prestigious jobs in return for him resigning his seat. This will put the Virginia Senate in Republican hands.

The senate was on course to pass an expansion of Medicaid as the law allows. With the resignation of Puckett, the chamber flips to Republicans, who have steadfastly vowed to block all efforts to expand Medicaid.

It's one thing for the Republican party to shamelessly offer the bribe in the first place. It's something else altogether that Sen. Puckett actually accepted the offer. He will officially accept the job on Monday.

I personally find this entire event disgusting, all the way around. Incidentally, isn't bribery of a government official illegal? I always thought so. At any rate, there have thus far been no calls for charges or even an investigation.

It's almost an impossible mission to win when you have no one in the fight. Every day I learn something about our political system and the player's within and every day I am further disillusioned and disgusted.

You can read the story as presented by Huffington Post here:
www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: be4ne1

Both parties lack morality, not surprised at all.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Huffington Post is an info-tainment website. Have you got a real source?

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
So who's the criminal? The briber or the person who accepts the bribe?

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Would you rather they kept it behind closed doors like in the old days?

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ameilia

From the article, here is an article from WA Post.

I didn't realize Huffington Post wasn't considered credible. Biased, sure, but I always thought it was about as credible as anything else out there.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=18014934]be4ne1[/post How will he be replaced, does anyone know the Virgina rules? Special election, gubernatorial appointment..? The reason for this is resignation is blatant, should be a huge factor in a special election.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
This could be true.

However, there seems to be no actual proof or anything even close.

Sounds more like a Democrat hyped-up excuse for failure.

Sour grapes because the guy probably is genuinely resigning.

And why "pay-off" somebody to quit?

Easier to buy and keep secret for more wicked agendas later.

edit on Jun-08-2014 by xuenchen because:

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   

If Puckett resigns, the legislature plans to appoint her to a full six-year term. “It should pave the way for his daughter,” Kilgore said of Puckett’s resignation. “She’s a good judge. . . . I would say that he wanted to make sure his daughter kept her judgeship. A father’s going do that.”

I think this is probably actually why he resigns. He doesn't have a whole lot of opportunity to go higher in politics, but his daughter does.

So we can speculate that he was offered a cushy job to resign, but I think it all just sounds like good timing (making the decision easier/more obvious). If he was involved with the tobacco thingamajig and knows his way around that area and is looking for a job, it makes sense. It also makes sense that he would secure himself a job before he quits.

Kilgore disputed the notion that Puckett was resigning in exchange for the tobacco commission job, but he said the resignation made Puckett available to take the position, which involves awarding economic development grants funded by the national tobacco litigation settlement. Puckett’s salary would be determined by the commission, Kilgore said.

“If he’s available, we would like to have him because of his knowledge of the area, and he formerly was on the tobacco commission for years, and he knew what we’re about,” Kilgore said.

Sounds like a good choice for the job I suppose.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Bribery of a public official is illegal.

Providing material support to the enemy in a time of war is illegal.

All the old rules are out the window my friend
It's a brave new world!

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

originally posted by: Ameilia

From the article, here is an article from WA Post.

I didn't realize Huffington Post wasn't considered credible. Biased, sure, but I always thought it was about as credible as anything else out there.

They used to be an all right site and have degenerated at an alarming pace over the past couple of years, including attributing quotes to entirely the wrong person. If you stop over there and scan a few articles for a few days you will see what I mean. I quit HuffPo (even just headline scanning) after finding three blatantly misrepresented "facts" in three back to back articles. If I wasn't a reader of an immense amount of news/current events, I'm sure it would have went right over my head! (Thanks ATS).

The general 'question nothing' crowd think it's great, but it's one of those websites that won't sit well with a lot of ATS 'question everything' readers. WA Post is much higher on the credibility scale (though of course, like all of us, they could just as easily make a mistake - we all do it!)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Does anybody need more evidence of the corruptness of the political system?

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 12:41 AM
link   

First let me say you have this a little wrong, TM the governor was talking about trying to get this through before taking office, and it started with Puckett when he would not support Obama for reelection. He was always conservative. Check this link for a little more accuracy. Source In my opinion as a Virginia resident the more important issue is now that it's not a 20-20 split with a deciding vote from Dem LT governor Northam is the effect on gun control throughout the state.

What I find disgusting is the entire ACA and the expansion of medicaid. My housekeeper charges me $20.00 hr. lives locally and since Obummer Care has come to fruition her health care is now 300% more and she can no longer afford it being a single mom. We have 5 Billion dollars of websites that don't work. I have built a few websites in my time, do you know what I could do with 5 Billion dollars? This and the VA is sparkling example of government run health care.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 01:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Im late on this but for sure all media is crap, whether its Huffington, Fox, MSNBC, CNN, etc.

They makes Alex Jones seem somewhat legit. Unless they dont agree.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Since when do Democrats not accept money. Tell us something we don't know. Plus, it would be easier for him to just vote in favor of Republicans and keep his salary if he was really bribed, instead of losing his pay by quitting.
edit on 9-6-2014 by amfirst1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Isn't it annoying how people just read what they want to hear, not what doesn't support their bias?
a reply to: 200Plus

The guy resigns, & has a new job: therefore, he was bribed.
(sarcasm, of course)

The sky falls on everyone all the time. Nothing new under the sun.
Or, if you want a perfect politician, run for office!
edit on 9-6-2014 by kkrattiger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 03:44 AM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

both are criminals (maybe not by the word of law but certainly by the spirit or intention of the law)
personally i would put more emphasis on the person offering the bribe regardless of who it is but thats just me
(one who initiates the action should always be held more responsible than one who is convinced or coerced to take part)

edit on 9-6-2014 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   

I see the Huffington post once again left information out to portray the issue as something its not.

Yes he and his family were offered a job.
No this does not kill the Medicaid push as 3 moderate republicans in the Senate support the Governors push.
The bill wont make it through the House because it is Republican controlled.

It gives the Republicans a 1 vote advantage in the Senate (20-19).

What did the Governor do last year? -

During the General Assembly session this year, Republicans cried foul when McAuliffe appointed longtime GOP operative Boyd Marcus, who had crossed party lines to endorse McAuliffe in the campaign, to a six-figure position on the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board. Republicans blocked the appointment, saying the job was essentially “sold” for the endorsement.

Both parties are NTAC 2.0 compliant and the people of Virginia should fire them for acting in this manner.

As for comments about Republicans trying to end run around a majority - The Democratic party has no room to talk since they walked off their jobs in Wisconsin and hid in Illinois to prevent a vote on teacher unions.

The expansion is attached to the State budget, which apparently has been worked on over the last 4 months because neither side will cooperate.

Correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression the government of Virginia, when it comes to laws, works in the same manner as the Federal government. Which is to say the House and Senate must have a bill they both agree on which once passed goes tot he President for signature / veto.

Since the House is controlled by Republicans in Virginia how exactly was this bill going to pass if the Democrat had not resigned his seat?

Now that the tax portions of Obamacare are starting to kick in we will see this law back in the courts. While SCOTUS ruled Obamacare as lawful, it did so with the viewpoint that the bill is a tax bill. Tax bills must originate in the House. Obamacare started in the Senate.

Also, The Democrats apparently started this game when they thought they could play politics with the welfare of the people of Virginia -

The Senate was on course to pass an expansion of Medicaid, as the law allows, while the House of Delegates, in GOP hands, aimed to block it. In such a scenario, Democrats hoped that Republicans would be blamed for the resulting government shutdown. With Republicans in control of both chambers, Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D) must now veto the GOP budget in order to force a showdown over Medicaid.

edit on 9-6-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   

isn't bribery of a government official illegal?

Not when it is the government doing it....Duh!

This stuff just keeps getting more insane daily and nobody does a damn thing to stop it! Government lies, corruption, stealing, killing, DAILY!! When is someone with power going to step in and do something? Us pathetic civilians can't do anything unless we all ban together, and unless you cancel television that isn't happening anytime soon! I feel bad for my daughter and her kids, this place is going downhill and very fast, unfortunately! This place could be very awesome without money & greed.....

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

top topics

<<   2 >>

join