It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two US B-2 Stealth Bombers deployed to RAF Fairford, UK in rare overseas deployment (Video, Pics)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: gfad

From my understanding this particular target was in some hot airspace. Alaska's 3rd TFW is in Al Dhafra at the moment, recently replaced Holloman's 49th FW. The 3rd TFW's Raptors are equipped with the more advanced AN/APG-77v1 radar which is actually took technology from the JSF's Synthetic Aperture Ground Radar and put it back into the Raptor. This might be very well the optics we are looking through on this video. [Remember the Raptor was purpose built as an AA and the Holloman Raptors are still in this configuration]. This is no mistake that these two squadrons just played a little shell game.

There are a couple drone platforms that has have VERY high resolution ground scanning synthetic aperture radar [IFSAR]. But now which platforms would have an RCS = to or < an F-22 that would keep it alive above some SA-10s?

Also it is my opinion what we are looking at is IFSAR footage and not FLIR. Please discuss, I could be wrong!

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: gfad

I believe the uppercase M is the current focal distance of the lens.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: aholic

Said UAV has at least one advantage over the Raptor that would keep it alive beyond a lower RCS.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Call sign Death?
I am suprised they did not have 4
and have the call signs
from the four horses men of the apocalypse.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
Are you saying that the Youtube video shows an F-22 bombing the target in Syria? I thought the F-22 was a fighter... I'm confused.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Mikeultra

Because of budgetary concerns [amongst others] they have been recently upgraded to include the attack role as well.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: cass1dy09

After a little research, the two planes in question are AV-21 Luisiana and AV-4 Indiana both have undergone recent modernization upgrades. If we were planning on flying the Sprit into war it would be one of the 6 block 30 airframes we currently have. Of those 6, 4 are ready for deployment.

If the Raptor strike tells us anything about the Pentagon's need to prove recent modernization upgrades in combat, forward deployed B-2s may as well. Although I don't see it as likely.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: aholic

Makes sense, haven't seen the ol' Raptor boys flying around as of late...

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Mikeultra

Most fighters have at least a limited ground attack capability. The F-22 was always planned to have a ground attack capability between basic, and a tactical bomber.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join