It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Germans/German speakers who could help?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Hi Germans (and German speakers) of ATS, I could really use your help.

See, I have been taking a high school level course in German over the last 9 months and I have oral exam coming up in a couple of days. I thought it would be good idea to prepare a couple of sentences - you know to fall back on, when I go blank ...or just start to babble. :-)

I am very much a novice German speaker and my written German is ..well .. is pretty Google assisted, so I would be super appreciative of anyone who could check and correct the below sentences or perhaps even suggest other sentences.

"Das Wort/die Wörter ist mir entfallen" (The word(s) escapes me)

"Ich kann das Wort dass ich suche nicht finden" (I can't find the word I'm searching for)

"Meine Stimmband ist müde" (my vocal cords are tired ..which they are! I sound like an eighty-year-old smoker at the moment! It is ridiculous!)

"Ich bin ein bisschen nervös" (I'm a bit nervous)

"Das ist ein gutes Frage, aber ich weiss nicht ob ich das antworten kann" (That's a good question, but I'm not sure I know the answer)

Anyone? :-)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I am of German descent but never learned the language as it sounds about as pretty to me as Klingon.
Maybe try The Germania society or something instead of ATS.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
Maybe try The Germania society or something instead of ATS.

I do not know the Germania Society, but I will check it out, thanks. (But I will still appreciate any help here too)

Cheers.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Hi there

I will Paste the corrections below the questions.

originally posted by: DupontDeux

Hi Germans (and German speakers) of ATS, I could really use your help.

Das Wort/die Wörter ist/sind mir enfallen."Text you forgot the plural "sind"

"Ich kann das Wort dass ich suche nicht finden" (I can't find the word I'm searching for)

"Ich kann das Wort das ich suche nicht finden" you just had an extra "s" there.

"Meine Stimmband ist müde" (my vocal cords are tired ..which they are! I sound like an eighty-year-old smoker at the moment! It is ridiculous!)

"Mein Stimmband ist müde" or "Meine Stimmbaender sind müde" I can't make Umlauts with my keyboard. But recalling that the vocal cords are more than ONE the 2nd reply would be right.

"Das ist ein gutes Frage, aber ich weiss nicht ob ich das antworten kann" (That's a good question, but I'm not sure I know the answer)

Anyone? :-)

The rest is good in my view.

Enjoy

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Guenter

Thanks Guenter (ur Günther?), you are awesome! :-)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: DupontDeux

glad it helped.

good luck at the exam.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Might be better rendered as "Ich bin etwas ängstlich."

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: CJCrawley

Might be better rendered as "Ich bin etwas ängstlich."

"ängstlich" is associated with "fear" as in facing danger as in pain, punishment etc. One can be "ängstlich" before an operation, blood test, dentist root canal etc. but for exams and other high stress situations as a job interview and so forth, "nervös" is the more common form. Also it all depends on the region/province one is used to and their common expressions.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

Thanks for the input - I will have it in mind!

Cheers.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   

..well, if I start going really off course during the exam, "ängstlich" just might be a better fit! :-)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

..well, if I start going really off course during the exam, "ängstlich" just might be a better fit! :-)

Rule of thumb:

"ängstlich" As in Autsch! and "Nervoes" as in "NOT sure."

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

So .. I am ängstlich for something potentially physically uncomfortable and nervös for a situation which I will/might find mentally uncomfortable?

edit on 8-6-2014 by DupontDeux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   

"Das ist ein gutes Frage, aber ich weiss nicht ob ich das antworten kann"

Das ist eine gute Frage, aber ich weiss nicht ob ich sie beantworten kann.

So .. I am ängstlich for something potentially physically uncomfortable and nervös for a situation which I will/might find mentally uncomfortable?

I would say "ängstlich" for something potentially dangerous and fully unknown, and "nervös" for something uncertain and stressing, but not really dangerous. "Mentally uncomfortable" as you've said is pretty close IMO.

Good luck for your exam.

edit on 8-6-2014 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ColCurious

Thank you. ..and thank you. :-)

Hopefully the exam subject will be "ängstlich vs nervös - explain" ..I feel prepared!

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Part of the German "Geist" is: if you stumble, or even if you fall - you always stand up! and you NEVER give up!

Embrace that and you're good to go.

*I think it is amazing when foreigners learn our language.
I've been told German is one of the hardest languages to learn and to speak fluent, so I applaud you for choosing German of all languages.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColCurious

Part of the German "Geist" is: if you stumble, or even if you fall - you always stand up! and you NEVER give up!

Embrace that and you're good to go.

*I think it is amazing when foreigners learn our language.
I've been told German is one of the hardest languages to learn and to speak fluent, so I applaud you for choosing German of all languages.

Oh, I'm Danish so it wasn't completely incomprehensible to start with and I sort of enjoy speaking German. I like the sound/tone if it (Also, it's so enjoyable to rewatch German films and being able to really follow the dialogue. Subtitles never does dialogue justice.)

And yes, Germans never give up. That is why, in football, the German Nationalmannschaft has been feared for decades. Undemoralizable! It's demoralizing!
edit on 8-6-2014 by DupontDeux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Hah!... even better when it is our high esteemed nordic neighours!
Greetings to Denmark!

*I'm not so sure about our team for Brazil this year though... but we'll see.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   

I am a native speaker (and long time lurker) from austria and willing to help.

-> Meine Stimmbänder sind müde. but i think you mean Ich bin (ein bisschen) heiser.

"Das Wort/die Wörter ist/sind mir entfallen."
"Das [Wort] liegt mir auf der Zunge." (I know it. I really know it.... - same meaning as above).

"Ich kann das Wort dass ich suche nicht finden." (I can't find the word I'm searching for)

"Das ist eine gute Frage, aber ich weiss nicht ob ich das antworten kann" (That's a good question, but I'm not sure I know the answer)
Das ist eine gute Frage, aber ich [weiss nicht (I don't know) | glaube nicht (I don't believe) | bin mir nicht sicher (I am not sure)] ob ich das beantworten kann.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: hewriteshere

You are right, I mean that Ich heiser bin: It sound much less forced/constructed. Thanks!

Das wort liegt mir auf der Zunge sounds more natural. Great suggestion!

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Update (if anyone is interested) :

T -20 hours!

I drew my subject today, and I got "Märchen", fairytales, and I know have to prepare an analysis and presentation of this Grimm Brother story called The Twelve Brothers. I don't know about you guys, but to me dealing with a two centuries old text in a foreign language is quite challenging!

Of course, I could have drawn "Relationships" and according to my girlfriend I know next to nothing about that, so perhaps I´should consider myself lucky! :-)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join