It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Fasting for three days can regenerate entire immune system, study finds

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 05:47 PM
a reply to: DevolutionEvolvd

We really don't need as much food as we think we do, after my water fast my whole thoughts on eating have changed dramatically. A lot of the problem is that people assume when they get what they think are hunger pangs but are actually dehydration pangs. The amount of water in the food satisfies the thirst and so they continue to believe that these hunger pangs can only be solved by eating.
True hunger is felt in the throat not the stomach.

There is also a lot of uncontrolled candida in people's gut because of overuse of antibiotics and people not repopulating their gut with pro and pre biotics. This causes the candida to take control of your stomach and it wants sugar, sugar, sugar so people feed the beast within them. I was doing this for years and after all the research it is widely believed about 60% of the populace have the fungal form of the yeast which hooks onto your stomach and eventually cause toxins to enter from your stomach into your bloodstream, called leaky gut syndrome.
This is what caused me to have anxiety, panic attacks and agoraphobia and even though I had been to my doctor for a whole host of sometimes quite serious yeast problems that were seemingly unrelated but were actually all related. My body was crawling with them and still is after a year of detox. I think the condition started almost 20 years ago and it was the water fast that brought the candida out and allowed me to identify my issue.
I suffered from Angular Chelitis/stomatis which is where the sides of your mouth crack and sores open, look similar to cold sores but not contagious. Now this condition there is no known treatment for it, there are plenty home remedy type things on the web but they never worked. It was so sore just opening my mouth to speak. But the 2 causes they believe are that it's a yeast infection or an iron deficiency and I had plenty of iron in my diet but there is no oral yeast treatment that can be prescribed. So I thought I would try Canesten Hydrocortisol the steroidal and yeast treatment. Well that worked perfectly, as soon as I feel a tingle at the side of my mouth I apply a little of the Canesten and it doesn't start to crack. I can't tell them the real reason I buy it as it's not meant to be used internally but the little that is needed and is more outside the mouth anyway.
So on day 3 when my body changed over into it's repair mode ketosis I looked in the mirror and found that where the condition was at the sides of my mouth there was this white powdery substance and my mouth felt great. So I went to pee and while peeing I start to see lots and lots of these things floating about in my urine and I was like woah what the hell is this, so I checked out a forum on water fasting I was on and several people also had the same and they informed me it was Candida die off.
By the end of the week i was a new man, I was free of all anxiety, panic, fear all of it gone after having that for 20 years. Wow it was life changing.
So after doing lots and lots of research on candida I have came over a regime that works for me and my next water fast I am hoping will be enough for the rest of the crap in my body to go.

Sorry for the TLDR post but I thought I would add my full experience of how water fasting changed my life.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 06:07 PM

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
ETA: I like the beer reference. The "what if you were stranded with only beer, how long would you survive?" question has been discussed with my friends and our conclusion was about one week then you died from the hangover.

: )

I was raised in Bavaria, Germany, and as you might (perhaps) know, Beer there is pretty much considered "liquid food". I am always chuckling when my US American wife spotted construction workers drinking beer AT/DURING WORK (it's sort of like a tradition in Germany)...and going to a festival in a city it's common to see people starting drinking at 9:00am in the morning.

My grand-dad/grand-ma had a farm in the deepest Bavarian backwoods. They told me about "beer soup" which was given for breakfast before going to work in the fields : ) Warm "beer soup" was also said to be beneficial for colds etc. Since beer is made from hops and malt etc. and no artificial ingredients (by law in Germany) it's really literally "liquid food", so I guess you could really "survive" on beer.

BY THE WAY...I myself drink rarely, if don't take this as a posting advocating to drink lots of beer. Just saying : )

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 06:09 PM
I not as surprised that it can be done, but 3 days seems quick. I've fasted on strictly water and 3 days is usually about the time when the body starts going into ketosis and burning high loads of fat and saving digestive energy. I've gone up to 2 weeks fasting before and have seen its healing affects. Pretty interesting but totally makes sense.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 06:13 PM
As for the 3 day fast, I would like some additional pointers, eg. whether juices are allowed, such kind of things.
I googled a bit and found fasts where they drank lot of juices (carrot juice etc.)...but is this then really considered a "fast" in that sense? (I mean blending vegetables, fruits etc. and drinking it is STILL taking in I don't see why they consider this a fast). By the way I am very skinny and for sure don't have "reserves" whatsoever, just wondering what I have to look out for.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 06:17 PM
a reply to: NoRulesAllowed

No the only true fast is the water only fast, the rest are just reducing calories adding nutrition. It takes 3 day for the body to go into Ketosis so you need to go longer before the healing effect starts happening.

If you look a couple of pages back I posted a documentary, you should watch that with regards to the juicing if you want a healthy type fasting but not in the true sense. It's a high vegetable diet which is achieved by juicing loads of veggies and making that your food source.
It's not really a fast but a very good way of getting the body balance to a alkaline cellular ph which has positive effects.
edit on 9-6-2014 by mclarenmp4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 06:22 PM
Want to add something:

I am VERY skinny for my entire life and usually don't even eat that much either. Often only one larger meal a day. Sometimes only a couple sandwiches, depending.

I know that some others eat lots for breakfast, lunch and dinner...possibly a lot more than what I eat.

People always keep telling me I look way younger than my age, some people actually in entire disbelief when I show them my ID and how old I am.

My theory, according to the research quoted in the OP. If someone is "naturally" skinny and eats relatively little, maybe their body is constantly re-generating themselves, and this is the reason why I look so much younger than my actual age? (All those Indian ascetics etc...they are scrawny and look rather young and do amazing things, some are over 100 years old.) I think there's definitely something to that theory. Eating habits may be key to good health.
edit on 6/9/2014 by NoRulesAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 06:24 PM
a reply to: mclarenmp4

If you are modest in your portion you eat slowly and measure what you eat, you wont get fat. After all Ramadan is an exercise of ones discipline, control and compassion. You will get fat if you stuff your face after fasting for a full day, but that goes against the exercise of practicing fasting during the holy month of Ramadan.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 06:33 PM
There's a reason why skinny Buddha is sad and fat Buddha is happy.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 06:34 PM
a reply to: Indigent

While I havent' read all the comments I did read The Telegraph article and found this quote from a Dr. Chris Mason of
of University College London and I quote:

“That could be potentially useful because that is not such a long time that it would be terribly harmful to someone with cancer.
But I think the most sensible way forward would be to synthesize this effect with drugs. I am not sure fasting is the best idea. People are better eating on a regular basis.”

I guess he must work for the pharmaceutical industry. Fasting doesnt make them money.

Have you ever hear anything as rediculous as "most sensible way forward would be to synthesize this effect with drugs"

I mean come on - the benefit is from the fasting - just how are you going to put that in a pill?

Great find

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 06:36 PM

Absolutely that's what fasting made me aware of that we really don't need a lot to eat to maintain our weight, a lot of it's water weight. I make sure I keep myself well hydrated and listen to my body for when it's hungry which varies depending on what I exert energy that day, if I get up go to work sit at a desk, go home sit on couch and go to bed I'm not exerting a lot of energy so my body would only need little energy to sustain it. I can go a whole day without eating if I had a big meal the night before.
I get good nutrition and I supplement with Liposomal Vit C, that stuff is amazing BTW.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 06:37 PM
a reply to: Indigent

I have been doing 1 day of Fasting of solid food...every 3 months (once a quarter) for somewhere near 49 years
(I use my Army enlistment age, as a time yardstick)

I was taught, instructed that a periodic purging of the body was beneficial...
but a 3 day fast is just outta my comfort zone (at least I think it is)

it will be interesting to read your thread...I thought I was alone on this as I wandered among the 'tares' which comprise most of the population around me getting fat/happy & full of unwanted parasites & malignant growths as the normal course of getting older

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 06:39 PM
Rest assured I looked into the liposomal Vit C, very interested actually, but I am not convinced yet it's possibly to make real liposomes with a consumer grade ultrasonic cleaner ;/

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 06:42 PM
a reply to: bitsforbytes

Yeah I know that's the right intention behind it but I lived with muslim friends for a year and they feasted at the end of Ramadan each night as i would join them. He's a head chef of a top restaurant so I couldn't refuse their offer.
My friend also caught one of his employees sneakily eating as well during the day.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 06:44 PM

Yeah I buy mine from an online health shop as I wanted to make sure I got the sunflower leitchin rather than the soy for £25 which I don't mind paying for a months supply.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 06:54 PM
a reply to: FlyersFan

I drink coffee...with sugar. Going 3 days without sugar would be torture of the worst kind!!!

Is it possible to fast and still gobble mass quantities of sugar?

lol kidding, of course.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 07:08 PM

Also don't take anything other than water, no supplements etc.. because if you do this, the process of ketosis won't kick in and you will literally just be starving yourself.

Sorry but I can't let that one slide. For all practical purposes only carbohydrates need to be restricted to induce ketosis. For three weeks I strictly kept my carbs under 20 grams per day. I didn't even bother counting fat. My goal was 100 grams of protein per day and had to use a powdered protein supplement to get that because by the third day I had no appetite. It was often difficult for me to eat that much. And before anyone starts screaming about "High protein" diets, that's only 400 calories from protein so don't even go there.

I didn't try to get creative or go no carb gourmet. However I did eat what I wasn't "supposed to" eat. 3 or 4 eggs per day, sausage, steak, lunch meats and cheese for the most part. My weight dropped from 223 pounds to 180 pounds and my total cholesterol dropped from about 370 to about 310. My HDL level went up some as well.

And yes I used the ketone test strips to be certain.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 07:24 PM
a reply to: DenyObfuscation

That's cool i wasn't aware of that.

The benefits of water fasting are not just about ketone production but the body repair benefits. By allowing the 80% your body uses for all process relating to eating food, it allows the body to break down scar tissue and to repair any damage your body hasn't had the time to repair.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 07:36 PM

Back when I did the no carb thing it was my understanding that the protein intake should be maintained to help prevent muscle wasting, especially the heart. I've read earlier in the thread that carbs would prevent that but that makes no sense to me. It would seem to me the body would break down muscle for protein requirements, not for lack of carbs. Do you or anyone else know for certain about that?

One thing I'll add is that while I was in ketosis, virtually all pain left my body and I only slept about four hours per night. My job was labor intensive but I never got tired and felt like I had more energy than at any other time in my life.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 08:00 PM
a reply to: DenyObfuscation

Sounds like an interesting method. If you've got any links that explain the process it would be helpful?
The reason being that doing a proper water fast you need a lot of rest and not too much exercise walking is ok but anything strenuous and you do run risk of protein burning quicker. I used to do about 4 miles of walking a week during the fast and energy was fluctuating.
I never lost much muscle mass during my fast, I was surprised how little of anything I had lost in terms of muscle wasting, weight etc.. but the benefits were great. It targeted specific old injuries and weird fatty deposits I had on one side of my abs which was annoying me for years, gone after 7 days. Plus my ankle cleared up along with the other benefits I mentioned.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 08:21 PM

Sounds like an interesting method. If you've got any links that explain the process it would be helpful?
I did this back in the mid '90s. Everything was based on the book "Protein Power" I think it was titled, by Drs. Robert and Mary Dan Eades (?).

I did find this site

When glucose isn't readily available via the diet (in the form of carbohydrates) and the glycogen stores in the liver become depleted, the body could break down muscle to get it. But ketosis is an adaptation that will spare muscle during times of shortage by instead breaking down fat stores and manufacturing ketones for brain fuel. It is said this state is attained at approximately 48 hours of a water fast for women and closer to 72 hours for men.

... Where ketosis was once considered a "crisis response" of the body and fine only for short durations, there are some doctors who now contend ketones are an acceptable alternative fuel, produced and used by the body any time glucose is scarce, which can happen even in non-fasting, non-dieting individuals, such as during intense exercise or during sleep. They are considering it a natural metabolic process where ketone production and use fluctuates constantly in response to the body's needs.

And much more of course. I don't know about all the info there but it does look like a good resource to me so far. Curious to see what others might have to say about it.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>