It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fasting for three days can regenerate entire immune system, study finds

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to: Arbitrageur

Dictionary meaning of science: "the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment"

FYI science has been around for thousands of years through "observation and experiment". If you are talking about the self serving, dollar driven, tightly controlled, closed minded practice of today, then no, it was not like that.

In a juice fast you are denying the body of protein for a short period which allows the body to switch from 'growth mode' to 'repair mode'. Continuous consumption of calories and protein have been found, in several recent studies, to be a prominent driver of overactive cell devision, which does not allow the body enough time to repair mutated cells leading to a cluster of rapidly dividing mutated cells (cancer).

So yes, it is a fast, as we are fasting from calories, protein and fat. Try it, experiment, you might even feel better. Or you could wait 15 years for your peer reviewed study.

"Cell proliferation is really the key to the modern epidemic of cancer," said Marc Hellerstein, professor of human nutrition in the Department of Nutritional Sciences and Toxicology at UC Berkeley's College of Natural Resources. Hellerstein is principal investigator of the study.

Cancer is essentially the uncontrolled division of cells, and its development typically requires the presence of multiple mutations. "Normally, a cell will try to fix any damage that has occurred to its DNA," said Hellerstein, "But, if it divides before it has a chance to fix the damage, then that damage becomes memorialized as a mutation in the offspring cells. Slowing down the rate of cell proliferation essentially buys time for the cells to repair genetic damage."

Cell proliferation contributes to carcinogenesis in a number of other ways, as well, collectively termed "cancer promotion."

Studies over the past 70 years have established that substantial calorie reduction - up to 50 percent in some studies - not only can reduce the rate of cell proliferation, it can extend the maximum life span of a variety of organisms, including rats, flies, worms and yeast. The results can be dramatic, with 30 to 70 percent increases in life span reported in the studies.

"Significant caloric restriction is the one and only thing that has been scientifically proven to extend life span," said Hellerstein, who has a joint appointment at UC San Francisco. He noted that while exercise and good nutrition can prevent premature death by disease, they have not been shown to extend a maximum life span.

Cutting calories has also been shown to reduce the development of cancer, enhance insulin sensitivity and lower the risk of heart disease.
edit on 9-6-2014 by Andromedabound because: Add quote

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Chamberf=6

Thank you, 70 people last update may 2014

Study finish 2015

From 2009 they dint analyze anyone else or you keep you 10 people population?

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Ooo i might try it. but..

If my somach rumbles very loud whilst at work, i'll be blaming you.

And science. I'll blame science too.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I don't think the food or drug corporations will like this news too much, the losses could be in the billion$ if everyone ate less and got healthier. Expect them to warn of the dangers of such behaviour.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Andromedabound

Juices DO have calories.

www.hookedonjuice.com...
www2.potsdam.edu...

Then there is this.

just to start

I'm not saying fasting is a bad idea, but some of the issues with one of the OP's sources and claims that juices don't have calories I have to disagree with.

Water would work though,

edit on 6/9/2014 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

I never once mentioned juice so am not sure where you got that from, my fasts are proper water only fasts nothing but 4 litres of water a day. Checking bmi/blood pressure daily and as I said it transformed my life.
I can post a dozen videos of people who have done 7, 21 & 40 day pure water fasts that have all came out as fully refreshed human beings.

The videos I posted are because he doesn't hoard the information like someone who only wants to profit but makes it for everyone and has many different people talk about their experiences. He never promotes his center and only deals with the wealth of knowledge he has gained over the years. He is an open guy and you can see he wants to help as many people as he can.

I'm sorry but on this subject you will never convince me that this is anything other than good as it changed my life from being suicidal to finally be the person I want to be.

Also you keep going on about muscle loss but it too is very minimal, if you watched the video I presented he explains that often people are much stronger after fasting because they have lean muscle tissue. There are MMA pro's that water fast and they don't lose strength.
I know from my own experience that I dropped weight in the 1st week but by week 2 everything slow down to the point where I was almost losing no weight at all. After 2 weeks of water only fasting and 1 week refeeding I was about 2 pounds lighter than when I started.

When I do research on a subject I research hard so have read forum after forum, every water fast video on youtube, checked out the history of fasting which was very much a normal thing to do up until about the 19th to 20th century. It's also mentioned in the bible as one of the only ways to get closer to god through the flesh. So it's been going on for eons and our bodies adapted for this because during winter months when food would be scarce it was the bodies mechanism of surviving at long periods of times with no food.
edit on 9-6-2014 by mclarenmp4 because: More info

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Andromedabound
FYI science has been around for thousands of years through "observation and experiment".
Those observations were not cognizant of things like the placebo effect, and the subsequent need for double blind studies. The placebo effect can actually be observed, so it's not totally an illusion, but it can lead to making observations which are misleading. Even today when modern science knows about the placebo effect, it's apparent many people continue to overlook this phenomenon with their anecdotes and other conclusions based on observations which don't consider this effect.

In a juice fast you are denying the body of protein for a short period which allows the body to switch from 'growth mode' to 'repair mode'.
It's a juice diet, and especially in the context of this thread which is about a real fast, it's not a real fast.

So yes, it is a fast, as we are fasting from calories, protein and fat.[/quote]
The word you seek is not "fast", it is "diet".

"Significant caloric restriction is the one and only thing that has been scientifically proven to extend life span," said Hellerstein
I've got no argument against caloric restriction, but I don't think a 100% juice diet is a balanced diet. I think it's possible to limit caloric consumption with a more balanced and healthy intake of calories. I suspect eating the actual fruit will have more fiber than the juice and is therefore healthier than just consuming the juice, and other nutrients in a more balanced diet can be consumed without over-consumption.

The research mentioned in the OP will be apparently be completed in 2015. I think all the people talking about what they are going to do in reaction to incomplete research is premature, and I usually wait for multiple studies to make decisions, especially on controversial topics.

edit on 9-6-2014 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Fasting for three days can regenerate entire immune system, study finds

.....Study Finds.....

Oh really?(indian accdent)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I also want to show how this process is also very good for the mind and can repair the effects of dementia and early Alzheimer's. It's been shown that these symptoms are actually classed as type 3 diabetes and it's when the brain becomes insulin resistant. This means that glucose which is used primarily to fuel the brain becomes innefctive due to the insulin resistance and that's when these symptoms occur.
It has been shown that large amounts of coconut oil can reverse the effects of these diseases and the reason for this is because it's high in ketones which help fuel the brain differently than glucose.
So while proper water fasting when your body goes in ketosis it starts feeding the brain with ketones and because the body now has 100% of it energy being utilised in repairing the body it will repair the brain also.

Dementia and coconut oil.

Alzheimer's and coconut oil.

Nurses 21 day water fasting experience.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Sounds plausible. Allows the environment suits /bodies time to cycle toxins from food/med/air intake over day periods. Which is like a system flush and then resetting/preparing for more food/med/air toxin intake. Which should boost immunity as the e-suits generate more natural cleansers from within. Would still intake juice/water for the days off even though toxin filled potentially also.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Ophiuchus 13

A juice fast is different from a water fast, it's not really a fast but a change of diet to a high sugar, high nutrition fruit diet.

There's a great video out there about an australian who has this rare skin condition that goes on a journey through america while starting his raw veg juice fast. While along his journey he bumps into a rather obese truck driver who by a chance of 1 in a milion had the same rare condition. He gave him his contact details and said get in touch if you want some help. Well the guy phones up 6 months later saying he has had enough and sincerely asks for help from the guy.
Well the story and transformation was incredible and a very heart warming video.
So I do see the benefits of these types of fating but water fasting is the only true fasting which is not for weight loss but for recovering your body.

Edit. Found the video, this is a good video to show you the benefits of a raw juice diet for weight loss and health.

edit on 9-6-2014 by mclarenmp4 because: Added video

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Pretty interesting. I wonder (if any of this is true) what would be the optimal schedule? Fast 3 days every...what, month? Year? 3 Days on 3 days off? And if 3 days is the minimum is 4 or 5 days better?

Also, I think it's worth mentioning that (finally) most folks realize that a having body builder type physique doesn't necessarily mean a person is healthy.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

Can you give a little guidance on how to do so safely? I would love to do this!

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: mclarenmp4

Thanks for sharing
Just seems like the citrus intake would assist the health boost.
NAMASTE*******
edit on 6/9/14 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: RedParrotHead

I would say between 7 - 14 days in 1 go once a year, that would be sufficient enough for the average person.
Someone with more damage may be better going longer but I would always try and do a 7 day water fast 1st.
7 Days is a long enough time for ketosis to start it's work and gives it 4 days to repair, it takes 3 days for all food glucose sources in your stomach are exhausted which flips your system into Ketosis so minimum 5 or you want see any benefit. Once you are comfortable with the process then extending to 14 etc..
Also don't take anything other than water, no supplements etc.. because if you do this, the process of ketosis won't kick in and you will literally just be starving yourself.

I thought I would try the 7 day trial first but after day 7 because of the benefits I continued for 14 days until my body told me it needed food. I have a low BMI so 14 days was my bodies max. The weird thing is after day 3 your hunger just goes and doesn't return until it really needs it and that's when the danger occurs because people want to refeed too quickly and get a burger or something, bad move, soup, vegetables until you expand your stomach carefully. I had a half cup of fresh tomato soup and I felt I had just had a banquet, slowly working my way upto solid food on day 4 and by day 7 was back to normal but feeling the best I've felt in ever.
edit on 9-6-2014 by mclarenmp4 because: Added more info

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Ophiuchus 13

Oh yeah I'm sure there's plenty benefit, natural sugars aren't bad for you, refined sugars are.
The fruit juice fast is called the Daniel fast as Daniel from the bible fasted using this method while Jesus did the water fast.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Like to know more...does 2 days have the same effects?
Does one flush out with a lot of water as well?

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: DonT1

2 days would only remove the remaining traces of food from your digestive tract and stomach which might have a benefit for some but I would say 5 days minimum.
Don't just wake up 1 morning and start just drinking water or you will have very strong urges to eat. The best way is to slowly build up to the water fast. 1 week before the fast stop eating meat and start moving to vegetables and eventually the last 2 days should not be solid food but a juice or soup. But start drinking plenty of good quality mineral water a.k.a spring water at least 3-4 litres daily. I would remineralise myself by taking in magnesium transdermally through foot baths and baths along with sodium bicarbonate.
edit on 9-6-2014 by mclarenmp4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Andromedabound

In a juice fast you are denying the body of protein for a short period

You're still consuming calories. And entirely too much sugar, which causes oxidative damage and stress.

Studies over the past 70 years have established that substantial calorie reduction - up to 50 percent in some studies - not only can reduce the rate of cell proliferation, it can extend the maximum life span of a variety of organisms, including rats, flies, worms and yeast. The results can be dramatic, with 30 to 70 percent increases in life span reported in the studies.

And studies over the last decade have shown that caloric restriction doesn't increase lifespan in primates. Apparently, it stops at smaller organisms.

"Significant caloric restriction is the one and only thing that has been scientifically proven to extend life span,"

Again... not in primates.

Cutting calories has also been shown to reduce the development of cancer, enhance insulin sensitivity and lower the risk of heart disease.

The real question, however, is whether it's merely a negative caloric balance causing this... or perhaps it's occurring through some other method associated with caloric restriction. We HAVE to find the mechanism involved instead of assuming cause through correlation.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: DevolutionEvolvd

Your last part ... it's in our genetics and organ behavior that we 'fix' ourselves, and keep a healthy amount of fat, and calories to use at bay. It's quite simple, ever since the global revolution of agriculture the degenerative disease started to become the leading cause of death in humans.
Where as before, trauma was, cancer was rare, but medical science and pharma drugs were not around. Now that we have advanced medical science and drugs to fill us up with we can eat what we want, when ever we want and just take a pill to fix a sudden problem, such as heart burn, IBS, etc, which causes extreme pain and should be taken as a warning to complications of OVER eating. Because, if you continue to eat the bad foods that cause heart burn, it'll eventually cause something worse. Just like how alcohol abuse causes liver damage over time, an alcoholic will drink, and drink, dumb the pain, and drink more, but the organ will get tired.

The body was meant to go days without solid food, maybe a few berries, nuts, fruits, etc, but water mostly made up our diet in between the large meals of finding meat, which is generally high in calories, because it's high in fat, which our body can use more efficiently than any other macro nutrient out there, which in turn is why we 'store' fat for later, and it's why people get fat because they over indulge in fatty foods with sugary and high in carb foods. Our body cannot burn fat, sugar, and carbs all at the same time, and, especially if we consume alcohol as well. This is why we have fat people.

It's pretty simple, has nothing to do with a 'mechanism'.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join