It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Post Office introduces ‘global warming’ stamp

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 01:37 AM
link   
"Global Warming" must be beyond speculation now that the U.S. Post Office has a "Global Warming" stamp !!

I bet these will be collectors' items very soon. Especially during cold winter stamp & coin shows.

Or even more so if those special "Models" prove to be failures.

It's "Official". And ironically, the pictures show they are the "Forever" variety?

The U.S. Postal Service has joined the fight against global warming by introducing a stamp depicting the projected warming of the world’s oceans.

The stamp series is called “Global: Sea Surface Temperatures.” It features a single snapshot of how the world’s oceans will warm as more greenhouse gases fill the atmosphere. Researchers take the data and create stamps that represent “one day in the life of the virtual Earth.”

The Post Office notes that the images on the stamps are not based on real world observations but modeled scenarios. The Post Office says the “model isn’t absorbing ongoing, real-time truths from the Earth, per se, through a satellite or weather balloon like some might suspect.”

U.S. Post Office introduces ‘global warming’ stamp

Enormous Impact Indeed !!

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

You could have just linked straight to the USPS stamps site, but then there'd be no need for the political bait of 'global warming' in the title.

They use these elegant, complex climate models [...] to stage “what if” scenarios: What happens if the state of the Atlantic changes dramatically? Or if greenhouse gases continue to change the chemical composition of the atmosphere?

Gosh. They want to put some exploratory computer models of different climate changes on stamps?

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Stamps which will, ironically, be stuck to pieces of mail being delivered by a fleet of trucks, planes, and other "carbon rich" technology that is no longer even necessary for communication or commerce.

A wasteful, obsolete institution subtly lecturing us on our own wastefulness. Typical.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

It seems the uspsstamps site (which was linked in the OP as well) is chock full of innuendo and conjecture and speculation as well.

I guess that's what "inspired" a rebuttal story from the article.

Do you really think "people" will think it's "speculation" ?

But the stamps do look kinda neat.

[ I should have put this in Political Madness ]

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 03:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Truly curious ... wonder why the strikethrough on the word forever. Wonder why the word "Global" is prominent top and bottom ... but "warming" is omitted.

Strange stuff there.
edit on 862014 by Snarl because: Typo

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Well, good on them for doing so 👍

It's about time 😄

ETA
Awareness is acknowledgement wether you believe in it or not. At least others will think about it.

edit on 6/8/14 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 03:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Truly curious ... wonder why the strikethrough on the word forever.

To discourage counterfeiting?

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 03:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Starred!

It is a metaphor for the USA not lasting forever!

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   
i want Obama stamps!!! OBAMA ROCKS!!

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   

“On the plus side, the stamp is $1.15, so it won’t get much circulation, it might be a collectors item though in a few years,” Watts added.

From the OP's source.

I'd put a "face-palm" pic here, but I think this has gone beyond face-palms.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Jumping on the bandwagon to bring in much needed revenue. That's all.

2nd line
edit on 6/9/2014 by Lolliek because: To add second line

new topics

top topics

join