It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monsanto plans to patent genetically modified marijuana

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Well this just means I'll stick with the "private sector."

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: MagicWand67

What this says to me is that marijuana is about to become a commercially traded commodity in the USA and worldwide very soon.

Although I do not partake in it for relaxation, I know that it works wonders on cancer patients. A family member was diagnosed with terminal cancer at 30 years of age, and never smoke it, but tried it one time after radiation. Her nausea and radiation symptoms went away almost immediately and she was able to eat.

The prescription drugs they used to help ease the symptoms of the cancer treatment "were absolutely worthless" in her own words.

7 years later she is still here and cancer went into remission.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
EEEEEEEVVVVIIILLLL BASTARDS!!!!!!! IS NOTHING SACRED??????????????????????????

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
They have likely patented this a long time ago. I wonder how long before they claim all strains belong to them and you can only buy cannabis seeds from them?

Or better yet, require a Monsanto license to grow anything.....

If they go this route, all I have to say is it is a battle they are ill prepared for.
edit on 8-6-2014 by jrod because:

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

They have likely patented this a long time ago.
Care to cite that patent? It's easy enough to find their others. You can start here>
Monsanto

The article in the OP is pure speculation. It provides no evidence to support its claim. A hit piece on everyone's favorite target.
edit on 6/8/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Of course they do not have it patented. If I recall correctly the patent is only good for exclusive business rights for so many years. It would be foolish to have a patent that they could not make money off.

They likely have everything in place to get the patent rushed through. If I actually had any money, I would be willing to bet it all on this.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

PPMS. Phoenix Tears oil. I can walk. Function. Not feel red hot pliers pulling apart my muscle tissue. It's not just cancer. It's one medication for 5000 diseases instead of 15 for one.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 02:08 AM
link   
If they are just increasing the cbd's, I don't see an issue.
a reply to: MagicWand67

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   
There is a reason that they are a target. a reply to: Phage

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 04:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Pretty sure none that's true. But you already know that.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I thought that you can't patent a plant ?

Anyways you can get these strains from normal cross breeding and through Hybrids
there are already thousands of different strains made through the normal process of cross pollination
and hybrids no need to mess around with the genetics

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
according to Monsanto themselves, it's a myth (which could mean it's true)

Myths about Monsanto

While Monsanto certainly isn’t above criticism, we … Myth: Monsanto is developing GMO marijuana … has not and is not working on GMO marijuana. This allegation is an Internet rumor and lie. …

monsanto.com

Yeah right. The question they didn't answer is "why wouldn't they be".
We know it's not a morality issue for them.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Monsanto has bought the Supreme Court of the US and the legislative branch. This is a fact.

Because of this, they are able to patent life and now because they 'own' certain strains and have been suing small time farmers out of business as a result of this. Monsanto has destroyed the family farm and essentially made it illegal for farmers to store their own seeds.

Please watch Food Inc. if you want to learn more.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
How is it that we are talking marijuana on Above Top Secret these days ? I thought it was strictly forbidden. I'd also agree with Phage......

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
First off you can't patent Cannabis.

".e., by breeding or grafting) or it can be "discovered." Plants discovered in "the wild" or uncultivated state cannot be patented because they occur freely in nature. But a plant discovered in a cultivated area can be patented, even if it is discovered in a cultivated area owned by someone else. In addition, a tuber plant such as a potato cannot be patented."

Secondly; there is absolutely no need to Genetically Modifiy cannabis. If you cultivate it veganically and properly there is no need for roundup or any form of GM.

Third; 1:1 ratios of CBD to THC is not hard to come across. All one needs is a ruderalis strain or a hemp strain.

Lastly the only reason Monsanto would want to do this is to make a new strain that isn't found naturally that they could patent because you can't patent cannabis due to it's land race aspect.

So what would be the motive if Cannabis is non-toxic, never killed or harmed anyone, and poses no issues to the public.

Money.

To add to the conspiracy we could easily say that after genetic modification is done we might see our first death attributed to cannabinoid indulgence. Due to the engineering of Monsanto.

Not to mention that using GM substances on the cannabinoid system could pose some serious health issues.

Zombie apocalypse for sure.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: ThePublicEnemyNo1

The organic prices on anything is just weird IMO. It's the way we all ate and it's actually cheaper. Organic is far cheaper than chemical nutes (nutrients).

Organic growing is more labor intensive. That's the main reason it's more costly. That, and because people are willing to pay more because it's organic. Farmers (organic and otherwise) get what the market will bear.

Actually this is incorrect; veganic growing is less labor than chemical growing.

Do you know in chemical growing you have to flush the mediums come harvest or that chemical is far more pronounced in the final product?

Did you know in chemical growing you have to check PH, EC and be more cautious of the chemical nutrients?

There are many downfalls to chemical cultvation and veganic and organic are far more practical and less time consuming than chemical cultivation.

The purpose of toxic chemicals is to increase yield and make more money.

The reason veganic and organic are more expensive is because of politics.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagicWand67

What's your opinion on this ATS?

They will corner a market upset many in that market why making other excited and then get blamed.

It would be nice if they designed crops that would grow in extreme areas year round like in 3rd world locations so those there can gain nutrition as there is enough Med M. present that magically seems to get beyond the hands of prescribed users...

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82
I thought that you can't patent a plant ?

Anyways you can get these strains from normal cross breeding and through Hybrids
there are already thousands of different strains made through the normal process of cross pollination
and hybrids no need to mess around with the genetics

On page 2 I listed all of the crossbreeds currently available to a point where you can go to a dispensary and request any and get it. The CBD/CBN hybrids have already been done naturally and extremely well. Well... I hear Charlotte's Web is hard to come by but I personally haven't looked for it too hard.
edit on 6/9/14 by Magnivea because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Margana

Last time I checked 80% would make Monsanto the major ass hole you say they aren't.

I'm not sure that 80% is accurate. I can't seem to find where it came from (unless it's from someone's ass hole).
It would really depend on how you define major. It would also depend on how you define ass hole.
finance.yahoo.com...

Even though I linked the article, your not sure where I got that number from *roll eyes* Typical response. The article was done by Organic Consumers Association and published August 7, 2013. Monsanto is the biggest ass hole cause they are the one who started it all. All GMO producing companies & all gmo products should be destroyed. There is 0 need for it.

In 2012 Monsanto was the world's largest supplier of vegetable seeds by value, selling $800m of seed. 95% of the research and development for vegetable seed is in conventional breeding and the company is concentrating on improving the taste of several vegetables.[58] According to their website they sell "4,000 distinct seed varieties representing more than 20 species".[90]
Wiki: Monsanto

Straight from the horses mouth: Monstanto website

Corn States out-licenses genetics and/or traits to U.S. independent seed companies including alfalfa, canola, corn, cotton, soybeans and sugar beets.

More than 150 seed companies offer Corn States genetics, traits and/or seed treatments in their brands, granting farmers access to leading seed technologies in the brands they want to plant on their farms.

Even if some other company is selling corn seeds, there is still a chance that it is a company that is owned by Monsanto or gets their products from Monsanto. Let's not forget the wholly-owned subsidiaries of Monsanto. Monsanto has 15 seed brands. Even Syngenta, a company that is saying it is one of the world's leading companies, get's products from Monsanto.

Now that Monsanto has drought resistant seeds, they are going to sell even more. They also have a big trade deal with China & are always looking to expand to other countries

But alas, trying to have a debate with you is like trying to have a debate with a wall so I won't be responding anymore.
edit on 9-6-2014 by Margana because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: JrDavis

Monsanto has patents for strains of Corn, Canola, Soy, cotton, and pretty much anything else that is grown large scale. When cross-polinization happens with a neighboring non-Monsanto farms, Monsanto then goes in and claims the neighbors crop and seeds are now Monsanto property because they 'own' the patent on that particular strain.

The Supreme Court has sided with Monsanto. They are winning. It is up to us to inform others about Monsanto and when possible boycott their products.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join