It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monsanto plans to patent genetically modified marijuana

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   
So the GMO giant is at it again. Monsanto has plans to cash in on the new boom in medical marijuana. They plan to patent a genetically modified strain of the plant for use in the medical field.

Different strains of the marijuana plant contain higher amounts of CBD's than others and this non-psychoactive compound has been found to be beneficial to patients suffering from various conditions such as .... Epilepsy, alzhiemers, schizophrenia, parkinsons, cancer, anxiety and more.

The researchers said the cannabis plant, enriched with CBD, "can be used for treating diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, colitis, liver inflammation, heart disease and diabetes". Research on CBD enhanced cannabis began in 2009, resulting in Avidekel, a cannabis strain that contains 15.8% CBD and less than 1% THC

Obviously, this new field of research and the developing market is ripe for the picking. And leave it to Monsanto to try and get in on the ground floor.

Link

Uruguay – the first country in the world to officially legalize the production and sale of marijuana. Initiator of the law was the leadership of the State, headed by President Jose Mujica. According to authorities, a guarantee of success in Uruguay marijuana legalization should be state regulation of prices for hemp.

There are many reasons why Monsanto and other companies producing GMOs would like to learn a new product. Marijuana may be the next major GMO crop. First of all, the company plans to produce GMO manipulate so-called “medical marijuana”. If pharmacists join with GMO companies, pharmaceutical mafia can create transgenic strains with the ability to produce more active compounds which are patented and can be implemented as a medicine.

Personally, I despise companies like Monsanto who high jack Mother nature, patent seeds and try to monopolize farming. Pumping their toxic chemicals into our environment and buying their way into the legislative branch of our government.

Oh and guess who Monsanto now has as their partner in crime for this new endeavor? None other than billionaire George Soros.

Link

U.S. corporation Monsanto plans to launch production of genetically modified marijuana, and companies such as Drug Policy Alliance y Open Society Foundation are going to create our own brand, which will be produced under cannabis, information portal La Red 21.

Organization of Open Society Foundation is under the control of the shareholder Monsanto, billionaire George Soros. Company Drug Policy Alliance y Open Society Foundation, funded by Monsanto will be responsible for market development of transgenic seeds of marijuana, particularly in Uruguay.

What's your opinion on this ATS?

Please remember the follow the T&C rules when discussing this and let's stay on topic

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: MagicWand67

So what are they modifing? Read the article and didn't see anything. ..
Or is just the fact they want to get involved, that we need to assume they will modify

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   
So then the only option of getting unmodified marijuana would be mainly drug cartels... possibly the motive?

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I thought the English were working on this already. A form of Marijuana that has little of the doping effect and increased amounts of the medicinal value. In South America they are already growing GM marijuana, but I doubt if the drug lords have a patent on that.

I suppose Monsanto is going to steal the research from the English people and patent it. In real medical Marijuana, the effect of the THC is masked by other canibinoids. It really does not get you buzzed much. Now if I were to use this as medicine, I would want that type. But most people want regular stuff.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

I think they want to develop a strain of cannabis that is high in CBD content and then patent it.

The CBD's found in the plant can then be isolated and used in different types of pharmaceuticals.

I imagine they will also be trying to develop a Hemp GMO.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Heirloom veggie seeds are still in very high demand and are still considered very valuable in the purist sense to those who grow them, despite Monsanto's best greedy bastard efforts. I foresee heirloom cannabis seeds becoming equally in demand & just as valuable. Monsanto's franken-plants aren't exactly well-received anymore.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I don't see a need for this. It is a weed (literally, like a dandelion) so you could essentially just chuck the seeds in the ground and it'll grow.

Monsanto just wants more money & what better way then through medical marijuana. I think it shouldn't be allowed because of Monsanto's history. They are a greedy & corrupt corporation that needs to be put out of business.

There is 0 need for GMO, it was only invented because RoundUp (made by Monsanto) was killing crops so they needed to make crops that could survive. Aquaponics/hydroponics is the way to go.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   
double post. oops
edit on 7-6-2014 by Margana because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Margana
studies have been showing that the best way to use medical marijuana is to use all of it, not just try to pull out the THC or other components from the plant. All parts work together harmoniously.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
So Monsanto wants to be proactive Frankensteins... no big surprise.

If Monsanto patents a strain, it will become legalized; mark my words.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   

My opinion on this is that the story is BS.

I can't find any sort of media statements made by Monsanto on this, yet someone from Monsanto has been supposedly quoted.

And when sites like before it's news and natural news are reporting it, you know it's most likely BS.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: ImpossibilityOfReason
So then the only option of getting unmodified marijuana would be mainly drug cartels... possibly the motive?

Yup. Sounds like Monsanto is actually going to end up HELPING the illegal pot trade. With their marketing and bank roll most of the "legal use" marijuana is going to be consolidated through them and their extremely efficient research, production and marketing. But the problem is they do not understand their market, at least not the portion that prides it's ability on judging a quality crop aka. The Chronosaur.

US and Canadian marijuana markets are very different. Very different demand either/or. So is the industry itself. Despite what is written in the papers, very little of Canada's cash crop is controlled by organized crime. It has always been a ma and pa, as well as a mortgage helper industry in Canada.

I for one hope that Monsanto floods the market with cheap and impotent marijuana because I think it will revitalize the black market, where the money - I'm sorry to say - actually gets spent in the communities unlike Monsanto who sits on the cash. Like I said though, Canada and the US are very different. Our top organized crime syndicate is the Hells Angels who are still for all intents and purposes a legal club with legal membership and still a member of our communities.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
according to Monsanto themselves, it's a myth (which could mean it's true)

Myths about Monsanto

While Monsanto certainly isn’t above criticism, we … Myth: Monsanto is developing GMO marijuana … has not and is not working on GMO marijuana. This allegation is an Internet rumor and lie. …

monsanto.com

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Haven't strains been patented anyway?
Look at Greenhouse seeds, Sensi seedbank etc they all have they're own branded strains.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I can see them modifying it toproduce weedkiller like some of its other products so the worlds stoners kill themselves off lol.

Maybe they will modify it so if you consume when you get the munchies you get an irresistable desire for anything that contains corn syrup, what a plan sell dope and make everyone want to eat everything else you produce.

They are some clever people, evil yes clever oh yes
haha.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: MALBOSIA

originally posted by: ImpossibilityOfReason

Yup. Sounds like Monsanto is actually going to end up HELPING the illegal pot trade. With their marketing and bank roll most of the "legal use" marijuana is going to be consolidated through them and their extremely efficient research, production and marketing. But the problem is they do not understand their market, at least not the portion that prides it's ability on judging a quality crop aka. The Chronosaur.

US and Canadian marijuana markets are very different. Very different demand either/or. So is the industry itself. Despite what is written in the papers, very little of Canada's cash crop is controlled by organized crime. It has always been a ma and pa, as well as a mortgage helper industry in Canada.

I for one hope that Monsanto floods the market with cheap and impotent marijuana because I think it will revitalize the black market, where the money - I'm sorry to say - actually gets spent in the communities unlike Monsanto who sits on the cash. Like I said though, Canada and the US are very different. Our top organized crime syndicate is the Hells Angels who are still for all intents and purposes a legal club with legal membership and still a member of our communities.

Why the heck do you want to support the black market? There is nothing good about it. It should be made legal & taxed so that money goes towards things like schooling, hospitals & road maintenance. Things more important then buying expensive clothes, houses & cars.

If they do franken' it up then it'll be just as damaging for our bodies as the rest of the foods they franken' & not the healthy natural properties it has. Its supposed to be used as a medicine, not to cause cancers & then other medicines needed to treat the newly formed cancer.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: UKWO1Phot

They're not patented. How could they be? You can't patent, say, a particular coc aine cut.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagicWand67

I think they want to develop a strain of cannabis that is high in CBD content and then patent it.

The CBD's found in the plant can then be isolated and used in different types of pharmaceuticals.

I imagine they will also be trying to develop a Hemp GMO.

But there already is strains with high amounts of cbd... that is the part I am confused on. That isn't genetic modifying. ..
And you and me could grow them as long as we could get a clone or a seed

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagicWand67

And once they patent it......they can corner the market and takeover.....just like the drug companies......

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

So what are they modifing? Read the article and didn't see anything. ..
Or is just the fact they want to get involved, that we need to assume they will modify

They're modifying the percentages of THC and CBD. There's a whole new market opening up. Monsanto is not the first though, they just want in!

(All about CBD)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join