It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Immigrants are truly destroying the construction industry nationwide, sorry Mexicans

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Elton

America only had the opportunity because of people building, fighting and dying for it. They didnt do it so some third worlder benefits. Actually, they would have ran them out of the country before even allowing them here.

They did it for their OWN people, US. Hopefully there is a revolution in America where the offspring of those that descend from the founders up until the 1920s all unite and give all those later invaders an ultimatum. leave or be rounded up.

"this country was NOT built for you" I would much rather have a war against third worlders than have them living/working here.

Why should REAL americans have to share our bounty and gift with them? they desrve what they were born in, the THIRD WORLD.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone
a reply to: onequestion

The problem is the people that hire them not the Mexicans.

Sorry but you do sound like a racist considering that you left out a bunch of other undocumented nationalities that work in the construction industry.

Whoa now. Certainly the people who hire them are part of the problem, but saying that the people who not only break the law by coming here illegally, but who also break the law by not paying taxes and other work-related issues, are not a part of the problem is severely biased and is just not true.

(post by HanzHenry removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: JiggyPotamus

originally posted by: thesaneone

The problem is the people that hire them not the Mexicans.

Sorry but you do sound like a racist considering that you left out a bunch of other undocumented nationalities that work in the construction industry.

Whoa now. Certainly the people who hire them are part of the problem, but saying that the people who not only break the law by coming here illegally, but who also break the law by not paying taxes and other work-related issues, are not a part of the problem is severely biased and is just not true.

plus they have there anchor baby factory women qualify for food stamps, health care, housing, etc. because of their multi-last name traditions

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   
My Husband has been a union carpenter , Journeyman , for the better part of 25 years.
When we met he worked with the same company for most of that time , ended up working for a co-worker just before the housing Market took a dive and all the foreclosures were the target for consumers for whatever reason , fixer-uppers , 1s time home trying to save some money , many of these homes were left in poor condition due to vengeance .
Before the big crash Hubby made union scale $37.75 per hour .....he got $1600 bonuses every 3 months or so , had a work vehicle , job security , GREAT benefits too.
After the Crash he rec's a letter from the main union guy for carpenters to seriously consider changing careers , these are guys who are vested ! Then it was all side jobs with no perks , no bennies , working job to job as they finished. Now he works for a good friend who started his own restoration company for disasters , mainly home fires. His friend is good to him when he can be , he has a company cell phone , gets reimbursed for most gas as he as to drive 50 plus Miles one way to work every day . They're now discussing a possible work truck. That's all wonderful and I am more than grateful he has a job at all , we both do.
My point is , all these years later he is making $25 an hour , no bennies and no 2-3 year long subdivisions to build , he should be making well over $43 an hour by now ..will his pension be there when he can retire? who knows !
What a MESS this has become in so many trades , again , thank Goodness we both have decent jobs , but it just goes to show you can't count on anything.
Also , his companies he was with , they gave everyone a chance , didn't matter , as long as the new employee could speak English and were certified to work in the U.S. then they were considered. Just the way it should be.
No matter how bad things are , they can ALWAYS be worse !!!
Good luck out there !
edit on 7-6-2014 by ujustneverknow because: placed wrong word~oops

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bitxushanty
a reply to: rockn82

Well i dont want to be rude but it is a racist thing to say, because except for the indians, every "white" person in us is a descendent from imigrants, i never saw a white American; so in my point of view Mexicans are American so who has more right to take advantage of the lansd proffit? i think people should just live toguether, no racism because after all, you (us) was made out of imigrants. Just saying....

I'm sorry I missed this earlier. : (

However if you want to use this logic then everybody is African. If the laws here are too hard to follow or you don't like them feel free to go home. I don't think racism should be a factor either but pretending that people who break laws are ok because everybody is African, is a great leap of logic. Criminals are criminals be they the employers or the workers and they should be treated as such.

Disclaimer: If you're a creationist then everybody is from the Middle East.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: HanzHenry
POST REMOVED BY STAFF

The country "your people" built? Just what country was that? And what "people" are you talking about?

The country "my people" helped to build was built by immigrants from many - non-white, non-european people. Heck, a third of the extisting US originally was stolen from Mexico.

Then there are the native people, we white european folk, butchered through out the America's. The sins of the fathers and all that good stuff. Seven generations, seven generations in christianity and in native beliefs.

Thank you for the opportunity to practise patience and tolerance and I do need all the practise I can get.
edit on Sat Jun 7 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ujustneverknow

That is because of BIG BUSINESS (and it's wanna bes) busting Unions. If Unions had continued their growth, your husband would have his nice Union job still.

It is not the fault of immigrants but the result of organized right wing union busting.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   

you also get what you pay for
a reply to: Rivetlikewhoa

It just doesn't pertain to illegals. I've seen some pretty shoddy construction jobs done by legals who are in the construction business.

We're not only losing jobs in construction due to low labor costs by illegals, but from low wages overseas. How many factories have closed down because greedy corporations want poverty wages to boost their profit margins at the expense of American workers?

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   

a reply to: Elton

America only had the opportunity because of people building, fighting and dying for it. They didnt do it so some third worlder benefits. Actually, they would have ran them out of the country before even allowing them here.

They did it for their OWN people, US. Hopefully there is a revolution in America where the offspring of those that descend from the founders up until the 1920s all unite and give all those later invaders an ultimatum. leave or be rounded up.

"this country was NOT built for you" I would much rather have a war against third worlders than have them living/working here.

Why should REAL americans have to share our bounty and gift with them? they desrve what they were born in, the THIRD WORLD.

This country is about achieving on your own merits, not isolationism or removing those who are different. There are plenty of lazy, entitled Americans I would gladly trade for more hard working, motivated immigrants who wish to better their lives.

That said, I doubt you will get your revolution.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

Hey I work in a couple of construction firms - we're paying SKILLED Immagrants $24 - $33 dollars an hour just like we pay homegrown workers. Looks like to need to increase your skill level. Sounds like you're doing what amounts to day labor - and it may, may, be the case that your claim is correct for that skill level. It is a lot more expensive to cover less skilled workers with WC then skilled and experienced ones.

an immigrant should NEVER make more than minimum wage, and an American should NEVER work for less than one or work under one. utterly DISGUSTING. pay them what they would make in Mexico.

Their ancestors did not build America up, their ancestors didnt die fighting for America. they should NEVER be allowed here. Companies should always pay an American more than an immigrant.

Maybe after a hundred years in country they should qualify for a PORTION of the respect of an American whose family has been here for HUNDREDS of years.

What native American tribe does your family owe it's lineage too?
Or did you have any family that went thro Ellis Island?
I am willing to bet my big toe that if you are not part of the first sentence then you sure as heck are part of the second.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Elton

Where I work the immigrants speak 2 languages and generally have a Bachelors of Science, they deserve to be paid fairly. We don't get paid better because of where we were born, it's all about qualification, experience and knowledge.

Claiming they should be paid less because of their ancestors or your anger is ridiculous...

Same on my front - at least from my experience in the IT industry, all of the companies I've applied for pick the person that they feel is the "best fit" for the company.

So, you cannot blame it on all immigrants - Several of the ones I know are like Elton said - dual degrees, can speak multiple languages, and in general, aren't that bad to be around.

Don't know if you'll just shoot this one down as well...but do you know why they are working at a level lower than you think you deserve? Remember where they used to live - to them, making 15 per hour is a fortune; we are the only ones that think 15 is the low end of the scale. Also, you should see the crews in my area - I've come to notice that those that don't appear to be from here are less likely to be sitting/standing around while others are working.

My Dad worked construction, on a team with both immigrants and Americans, no-one on the team lost their job, because they all had the skillset to do their job.

You want to blame immigrants for our woes? Be my guest - I blame all construction workers for the fact that Michigan roads are horrible. Can't blame it on immigrants, because there's Americans on the construction teams as well.

-fossilera

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   

I have to agree with you here. Illegal immigration does this everywhere. In Spain Romanians are the European version of illegal labor in the states. Its not as bad there since they aren't illegal and they pay taxes but they work for bread almost. They also use up public aid like its going out of style so its not great for the public treasury either.

It sucks.

The solution isn't anything short of their own countries getting better.

Mass unqualified immigration anywhere is terrible and has dire consequences on the host country. The problem is rooted in that the greedy in the upper echelons of society concentrate wealth in certain places while destroying the competition abroad by illegal and underhanded means.

If Mexico had not been raped by multinational companies and terrible governments that the US and these companies pushed into power, they wouldn't need to come to the US to survive. Even if the US and all these international players stopped influencing the government there now completely, the damage is already done.

Its getting better in Mexico though. I like the current government in power and what they have planned for Mexico. In another 20 years it will be another country all together.

Give it time.

edit on 6 7 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
Despite everything immigrants (legal and illegal) have contributed to this nation in its history, they will always be blamed for the woes of society and its downfall. Generation-to-generation (guess which ethnicity is taking the brunt this generation,) it hasn't changed. Leads me to believe there is something else going on besides "they took our jobs."

I suppose it's those darned foreigners' faults for our outsourced manufacturing etc. as well.

I'd once like to see a thread about how immigrants helped make this country into the powerhouse it is.

Wow look at all those stars.......You are still wrong as the day is long. You are right about immigrants building this country you are wrong about the Mexicans however.

Most Mexican could care less about this country they care about money. Many still call Mexico home and fly the Mexican flag. Every Mexican I have asked plans on retiring back in Mexico not America. Heck many do not even see the need to learn English because of everything I just wrote.

If Mexicans really wanted to become Americans and live the so called dream I would be alright with them.......BUT they do not want to do this. They are kinda like a parasite that will leave once the money drys up.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth

I dont think so.

Most that immigrate to the US stay there. Its a common thought amongst Mexicans that those who leave almost never come back if they don't have to. My wifes family and all their friends for example haven't been back to Mexico since they left. They can't imagine living in Mexico again. Its a different place than what they left. They are "Americanized". This happens when you immigrate for the most part. You adopt you host countries lifestyle. Its actually founded in the human psyche. You learn and adapt to your surroundings and as a result are fundamentally changed by the environment.

They would learn english if they could. You have to understand that they aren't exactly well spoken in Spanish either. Their educations aren't that great. Some of the older immigrants can't even read. I didn't notice a change in Mexican education until the last decade really. The new generation has an infinitely better chance than their parents generation to succeed. They are a smart bunch and now that they finally have the right tools they can do a lot more. They are light years ahead of their grandparents generation.

I will concede that a lot do go back, but they are a minority. Most stay and raise their kids as Americans. Hell, my sister in laws kids don't even vacation there. The youngest doesn't even speak spanish very well. He needs to talk to you in english for the most part.

As far as being a parasite, I don't know about that either. The US economy would CRASH in less than a year if immigration stopped entirely.

edit on 6 7 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Don't worry about construction jobs, once we (the U.S.) Start upgrading the electrical infrastructure of the U.S., start building the 100,000 square mile solar panel array in Arizona and New Mexico, AND we start building hyperloops everywhere, there will be so many construction jobs, we may have a shortage of workers!!

The 100,000 square mile solar array Alone will require at least 22 millions workers, working 24 hrs a day (in shifts of course), for 20 years!! The solar panel array could also be located in the Mexican Chihuahua desert, in this manner, illegal immigration would be almost completely eliminated, nearly all would be illegal immigrants would be able to find well paying jobs in Mexico, quite probably for more than 20 years and beyond!

Once there is a shortage of workers the wages will rise, without all the vitriol and hatred towards immigrants. Don't give into the dark, secret government forces that try to divide Americans along racial, ethnic, and economic lines!!

The future is ours, all we have to do is reach out and grab it! We are working towards a Free earth, not a prison planet.
edit on 7-6-2014 by deloprator20000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I agree anyone who doesn't pay taxes and drives on our roads, uses our bridges, creates crime needs to be a citizen. It will only help them plus our country.

Thanks a lot Bush-worst president ever???

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   
It’s painfully obvious that the majority of comments in this thread are from people that don’t work in or have a clue about the construction industry of today, especially in the SW region. I’ve witnessed countless companies that have been taken over by hispanics, legal and illegal. Once they get a foothold within a company they will only hire other latinos and do what they can to get rid of anyone that isn’t. Some of you may think I’m full of it or balk at this, but it’s fact. I’ve seen it happen over and over. Don’t believe me? Watch a white guy ask a latino crew foreman for a job. Most could care less about employing Caucasian workers or any other race other than there own.

For the people that feel sorry for them and think they’re ONLY here just to better their lives, your insight to the issue is delusional. Certain organizations such as La Raza have a unwritten agenda to push racial inequality. There’s no doubt in my mind from what I’ve seen, that there’s a conspiracy amongst themselves to take over whatever trade they can. It’s as racist as racism gets, and they know how to play the victim game well.

For the record I’m not a racist. I’ve gone out of my way many of times to help them, even learned their language so I could better communicate. But, the more I see of their ulterior motives, the less tolerable of their BS I get. I hate to generalize as they are not all alike, but the ethics and motives that I’ve observed are very similar among a large majority. I’ve worked with them in one way or another for almost 40 years.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth
Every Mexican I have asked plans on retiring back in Mexico not America.

Why does that bother you? I have known plenty of Americans who chose to retire in Mexico for financial reasons. This is a common practice: working in another country with the plan of returning home. I don't see the problem.

Heck many do not even see the need to learn English because of everything I just wrote.

Is this another thing you asked 'them,' or are you just making assumptions at this point?

Would it change your mind if I said I have had a completely different experience with the Mexican migrant workers I have known?

Some of the migrant workers I have worked with are the most strong-willed and hard-working people I have known. They know they're getting shafted and still come to work with a good attitude. What more can one ask of these people who are giving all they've got just to keep above water? I admire their courage and determination.

Of course, we all have differing experiences with migrant workers. It's dangerous to generalize and lump. I'll concede that much. I'm just sayin'...place the blame where it lies, and that's with employers who are paying people under the table that they shouldn't be. Don't blame someone who is going above and beyond for a chance to improve their life.

edit on 7-6-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join