It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Immigrants are truly destroying the construction industry nationwide, sorry Mexicans

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
It's true. I work in a construction trade making 15$ an hour for a job that ten to fifteen years ago would have payed 20. I know from personal experience that illegals come here and drive the wages down, underbid everyone else and cost tens of thousand of Americans their jobs everyday.

If you deny this then you just have no experience.

The construction industry would be great if the alternative we're true but guess what? It's not.

Now I'm not racist really I'm not. The truth is the truth however and we need to do something about it.
edit on 6/7/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

+20 more 
posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

The problem is the people that hire them not the Mexicans.

Sorry but you do sound like a racist considering that you left out a bunch of other undocumented nationalities that work in the construction industry.

+7 more 
posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

Sorry but you do sound like a racist considering that you left out a bunch of other undocumented nationalities that work in the construction industry.

So if he included immigrants from all Central and South American nations then you wouldn't consider it 'racist' ?

+7 more 
posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Your right about one thing, the people that hire them.

You talking about Guatemalans and the very tiny percentage of Russians and Ukrainians?

It's mostly Mexicans that I personally see.

+18 more 
posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Despite everything immigrants (legal and illegal) have contributed to this nation in its history, they will always be blamed for the woes of society and its downfall. Generation-to-generation (guess which ethnicity is taking the brunt this generation,) it hasn't changed. Leads me to believe there is something else going on besides "they took our jobs."

I suppose it's those darned foreigners' faults for our outsourced manufacturing etc. as well.

I'd once like to see a thread about how immigrants helped make this country into the powerhouse it is.

edit on 7-6-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
Despite everything immigrants (legal or illegal) have contributed to this nation, they will always be blamed for the woes of society and its downfall. Generation-to-generation, it hasn't changed. Leads me to believe there is something else going on besides "they took our jobs."

I'd once like to see a thread about how immigrants helped make this country into the powerhouse it is.

You should make the thread then. Just be sure to include how all the illegal immigrants made this country great.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
It's true. I work in a construction trade making 15$ an hour for a job that ten to fifteen years ago would have payed 20. I know from personal experience that illegals come here and drive the wages down, underbid everyone else and cost tens of thousand of Americans their jobs everyday.

here is my experience : It's true . I work in IT industry making £ 80+ pa for a job that would have paid £ 150+ pa about 15 years ago. I know from a personal experience that the Indians come here and drive the wages down,underbid everyone else and cost tens of thousands of jobs. [ This could of been me back in 2000]

If you deny this then you just have no experience.

you really dont want to talk to those who deny it. Talk to those who don't deny it .

The construction industry would be great if the alternative we're true but guess what? It's not.

Construction industry has nothing to do with your plight . Power doesn't like vacuum , that is your real problem imho .

Now I'm not racist really I'm not. The truth is the truth however and we need to do something about it.

I believe you are not racist. Only thing " we " need to do is watch you change the world by changing yourself . In the words of Alvin Toffler you are suffering from " Future Shock " .
here is your remedy ;

“The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn. ”

edit on 7-6-2014 by 23432 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I edit my post now debate the issue from another position other then I'm a racist.

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: rockn82

Well i dont want to be rude but it is a racist thing to say, because except for the indians, every "white" person in us is a descendent from imigrants, i never saw a white American; so in my point of view Mexicans are American so who has more right to take advantage of the lansd proffit? i think people should just live toguether, no racism because after all, you (us) was made out of imigrants. Just saying....

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Here in South Georgia we get straight up Mexicans. A few are Guatemalan but MOST are Mexicans. Just Providing insight.

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I work construction as well. While illegals will come and underbid licensed contractors, you also get what you pay for. A lot of the times out company will come in after a "contractor" (who doesn't have a license) rips someone off. We come I to fix what they messed up. Just like with any industry, if it seems to good to be true, it usually is. Most of our customers realize that and will hire us over someone who picked up a few guys at Home Depot.
I'm white and I am a laborer, our mason is mexican and gets paid more than I do, for a reason. He does more work than me and has more skills than I do. If you are losing work to illegals, it's probably your own fault. Prove you are worth the extra money and customers will go with you.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
You didn't have to edit your post. I used to do some construction too. I saw it quite often; Mexicans coming in and taking jobs. Now here's the kicker. Many that I talked to were pissed that illegals would come in and take roofing jobs from them. They had huge border houses set up to allow groups to come in illegally and take jobs. Yes, they did a pretty good job. but the money they did make went to the bordering house and back to Mexico. Very little of the money they make stays here. This is information that actual Mexican - American citizens told me. From your position at a wage standpoint, your right. They do lower the wages for those here legally. However, from a business standpoint, you'd hire the cheap labor that does the same work or more for less money right? This fault lies with the people that hire them. Until we pursue charges against these people nothing will change.

I saw the same principals being applied to prison work releases. People being paid $8 an hour for a 12 dollar an hour job because the employer can get inmates to do the work at less than minimum wage. Sad really. But again, you're right.

As for the people claiming it's not just illegal Mexicans, you're right too but unfortunately when that's all you see around you; those are the claims you make.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
How is it the immigrants' fault? They're willing to do the work for less money. Simple. They aren't literally stealing anyone's job. They still have to be hired. Get pissed off at the companies and businesses. If they're cutting corners and hiring illegals, that's one thing. But if they're hiring legitimate workers, it is their right. It's all about the top dollar for these people, not economic health. The company doesn't give a # about you if someone else will do the same work for less money. It's a part of our culture. Profit, plain and simple.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

I think if the majority were legal immigrants they would be included in that. The problem is that they come here illegally and work under the table for far less. Companies take advantage of them, but if they weren't here in the first place these companies wouldn't have that option. They need to compete for bids and someone using illegals for 1/3rd the pay can put in far lower bids and get all the work.

See what I am saying? They destroy hard working peoples lives by working under the table illegally. Really nobody wins here except the companies using them.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Euphem

But companies work under the table even without imigrants, it's all about proffit, and escaping the contributional system, tax paying, if they can they will do it everywhere any time, with or without imigrants.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Euphem
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha
Really nobody wins here except the companies using them.

Bingo. With that in mind, let's all please re-evalutate the thread title.

"[Business owners] are truly destroying...industry nationwide..."

Fixed it.

edit on 7-6-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Then do something about it!!!

My suggestion would be to get your own damn contractors license, learn how to bid on jobs, put up your own bond, and hire whomever you want. But please quit playing the victim.

One great thing about America is that the entrepreneurial spirit is alive and strong for those willing to make a commitment.

Join us....but no whining allowed!
edit on 7-6-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: LeviWardrobe

But if they're hiring legitimate workers

Umm, you're not at all familiar with this topic apparently.

They're NOT 'legitimate' (as in LEGAL) workers. That is the problem being discussed.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: rockn82

Again, you need reminding that it's not the dirt poor folks from Mexico who are the problem. No human being is 'illegal,' full stop. The problem is the employers hiring them. Your beef is with them, not with the hard working immigrant who just wants to provide a better life for his family back south of the border.

But wait.. the employers are 'job creators,' that special caste of American who is above reproach.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Euphem
The immigrants themselves are being exploited too. The true villains here are the companies. You can't blame the immigrants. "They destroy hard working peoples lives by working under the table illegally." The issue isn't that they're willing to work under the table. The issue is that the companies are willing to accept their work. It is exploitation.

"but if they weren't here in the first place these companies wouldn't have that option."

That reminds of the argument that women showing too much skin puts some fault on them when they are raped. "If the woman didn't make herself sexually exploitable, the man wouldn't have had the opportunity to rape her."

Yes, it is true that businesses are opportunistic... it is also true that they need to be held accountable for their actions. They are the deciders. Nobody forces them to hire illegals. It is such a farce to try and blame the immigrants for this.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join