It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fort Monroe in Hampton Virginia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
They say that Fort Monroe in Hampton Virginia is one of the most haunted places in the state of Virginia. From the ghost of Abraham Lincoln to the ghost of a cat a young girl, a lady (or not a lady depending on how you view her behavior.) wearing a white nightgown to Jefferson Davis and Edgar Allen Poe the place is supposed to be rife with ectoplasmic personalities.
Fort Monroe is at the southern tip of the Chesapeake bay. There has been some form of fortification on the sight since the 1600s when this land was first settled by Europeans.
Originally named Point Comfort because settlers could be assured of their safety with a wide and far view of any approaching ships the land has provided a good look out for over four hundred years.
I am lucky enough to live very near this sight. Williamsburg, Yorktown and Jamestown make up the historic triangle and so I am virtually surrounded by and steeped in historic venues.
Lucky also I have always loved history. So many stories of our ancestors and their strengths and courage to forge this nation and most of them took place in my back yard.
There are many stories of ghosts and other paranormal activities taking place in these historic locations.
Because Fort Monroe is really close to me I decided yesterday to go on a ghost hunt at the sight. We go to the beach on the fort a few times a week during the hot weather. It's almost if I wasn't so lazy, walking distance from my house. It takes three minutes by car.
Before I went I looked at a few sites about ghosts at the fort
.www.ghostsofamerica.com...
hauntedva.blogspot.com...
Armed with some info I asked my husband if he wanted to go for a walk around the fort with me.
He said sure and off we went.
The fort proper is surrounded by a moat but there are many many buildings on the land outside of the moat area. We started our adventure at the north gate crossing the moat by bridge.
We headed south planning on walking around the fortifications built along the moat which consists of a six sided casemate structure of arches of brick and mortar. Built on sand the arches have kept the heavy buildings from shifting or settling since this part of the fort was constructed in the mid nineteenth century. The old brick structures are a marvel to see.
On top of the ramparts in one section residents of the fort have dedicated a section as a pet cemetery. Going back to the 1920s there are grave markers every few feet along the wall on top of the ramparts. Dogs, cats rabbits and even a few horses have been buried here. www.google.com...
There is a story about a ghost of a cat that roams the property and I wondered if the kitty could be found in this area. I started with the spsss,spsss sound of calling a kitty and saying here kitty kitty but the cat was too shy I guess. No ghostly cat showed up.
Following the ramparts around the fort brought us to the main gate where another bridge crossed the moat leading to a tunnel beneath the ramparts. This gate also once housed prisoners within two cells built into the walls. My son once saw a soldier sitting in one of the cells and when he,asked about the man from a lady working a tour near by was told that there were no actors employed here as there are in Williamsburg and Jamestown. He was also told the cells were empty and locked.
Knowing of his experience I looked for a cell but they were closed off with iron doors without windows and so I could not look in . Disappointment number two for the day.
Following the ramparts again we came to the casemate museum www.fmauthority.com... which contains the very cell that Jefferson Davis was locked and shackled in. He did not die here but it is said his ghost roams the place as this was the location of his greatest embarrassment during his lifetime. I called out loud if there are any spirits here please make yourself known.
Now comes the interesting part. The ceilings are all barell shaped as I explained the construction of the fortification was stacked arches with vaulted passageways between rooms.
I looked at the ceiling outside Mr Davis' cell which have track lights in two rows. I saw little points of light darting quickly back and forth across the ceiling. I said to my husband I wonder what causes that effect? He said what effect where in I pointed up and described the tiny points of light. He shook his head and said I don't see that. I just looked at him like he was crazy and said stand here and look maybe it's just my angle on the view. He did but still didn't see them meanwhile I was watching them dart back and forth and said I can't believe you don't see that. He said I don't see anything. I walked around the room looking up at different angles and saw them from every vantage point. My husband didn't look at me like I was crazy he believed I was seeing what I was describing.
Finally we moved on to the next room which had identical track lights along the ceiling and was the same exact barrel shape as the last and there were no lights. I stepped back through the adjoining archway and saw two tiny specks of light dart across the ceiling. Where there were dozens a moment before only two were now visable.
We toured the rest of the museum and then exited to continue around the ramparts to the next gate. This gate is across the street from the house Lincoln stayed in and near y an area known as ghost alley. Here it is said can be,seen the lady in the nightgown who apparently became,friendly with an officer while her husband was away. He returned unexpectedly and caught them in bed. They both ran from the house. The lover got away but the husband caught his erring wife and shot her dead. She apparently roams the place looking for her dandy.
She didn't make an appearance despite my calling for her.

If you live nearby or plan a trip to this area ( we have Busch Gardens) I recommend touring the fort. Is is full of beautiful old buildings, lovely private feeling beaches and great views of the Chesapeake bay.
What do you good people think I saw yesterday?
edit on PM000000300000000662314302014-06-07T15:14:19-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

edit on PM000000300000000662315302014-06-07T15:15:31-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

edit on PMu30u0662316302014-06-07T15:16:14-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

edit on PM000000300000000662320302014-06-07T15:20:16-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I appreciate the stars and flags but doesn't anyone want to discuss what I saw or do you all think it was just a trick of the lights and if so why didn't my husband see it?

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

Did you happen to get a picture of the room where you saw the lights ? That would be most beneficial to your fellow members here so they could help to debunk or corroborate the lights that you saw. Even a pic of the room from your standing point at the time (without the light effect present) would be a good starting point.

Are you involved in a ghost hunting group and how did you obtain access to investigate Fort Monroe ?

There is also a fire house/station down that way that is said to be haunted. But it is not abandoned to my knowledge because it is still used as a fully functioning fire station, so I don't know how you could get access to investigate it too. I've heard of some unusual things going on in the station. But I personally have not investigated it.

leolady

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: leolady

No I didn't take any pictures. The website I linked shows the rooms. I don't use a cell phone.
www.fmauthority.com...

The fort has been decommissioned by BRACT and is now a federal park.
However because of its historical significance it has always been free and open to the public.
Do you know which city has the haunted fire station?

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Oh and no I don't belong to a ghost hunting group but I know a lady in Philadelphia who is in one and she met the ghost Hunter team from TAPS. a reply to: leolady

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   
The army's training and doctrine command (TRADOC) was located close by.. The orders for any one assigned stated Ft. Monroe Virginia.

I have been around the old fort several times and have landed helicopters all over the place; never saw a ghost but not that unusual they seem to hide from me..

We actually flew out of Langley AFB... flying big wigs all over the Continental US and into the pentagon.. We had 4 different types of fixed wing aircraft (airplanes) and several UH-1 H helicopters. One day you could find yourself flying someone to the pentagon in a helicopter and upon return you might be tasked to fly someone else to Kansas in one of the fixed wing assets..

Used to see nude sun bathers along the beach on occasion.. Some would even stand and wave as we went zipping by. As a show of thanks many would circle the wavers if it was thought they were worthy..

Being an examiner I had to stay current and proficient in all the aircraft for I gave check rides in all of them. It was the best assignment I ever had in the Army.

5 Star General Depue was a regular passenger.... He was a little short guy full of piss and fire that would stand on the first or second step of the air stair door just so he could look someone in the eye and give them a good A$$ chewing. Usually reserved for a base commander who did not measure up .

He treated the aircraft crews like gold and I always enjoyed his presence and some of the things he did.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Yeah thanks. Totally off topic but interesting.
I live between ft Monroe and Langley. TRADOC is on the other side of the river in Norfolk.

I reply to: 727Sky

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I would not want to be associated with TAPS if I were a serious scientific paranormal group. just sayin'.....

I've read about the hauntings there and would love to investigate but I haven't got to yet. I believe many of the claims because this place is known for high paranormal activity. I live near a battlefield that is haunted. I saw it with my own eyes.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 06:00 AM
link   

I have not been out to Fort Monroe for a very long long time. I might have to make a weekend excursion there now that you mention it to check things out.

I took swimming lessons at the Chamberlin Hotel when I was a child, I was always creeped out feeling in the pool area inside the hotel. This place would be my choice for an investigation on Fort Monroe !

A few years ago I was a member of a ghost hunting group and we were trying to get into the Chamberlin to investigate but it was a no go at the time. Probably due to the fact that it was being rennovated and turned into a retirement community.

Phoebus Fire Station is the one that I am referring to.

leolady

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
There are stories about people at the hotel hearing children splashing and playing in the pool and when these people went into the pool area it was empty so it's no wonder you felt creeped out.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
So you are from this area? Do you still live nearby?
Yes the Chamberlain is now an adult apartment complex. No so much a retirement community . There is no medical staff.
The age requirement is fifty and over. a reply to: leolady

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Beautiful spot! It's now on my list to visit thanks
great pics below
suzicate.wordpress.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
Beautiful spot! It's now on my list to visit thanks
great pics below
suzicate.wordpress.com...

Glad you like it. Yes it's lovely,especially if you like old architecture. Lots of stately homes with wide porches, big, big mature live oak and black walnut trees. Plus the beaches are small but there are like five or six of them and they're never crowded. You can watch big ships come and go out of the harbor. There are pelicans and gulls and terns plus cranes and storks. It's a nice place to spend the day. In the summer there are concerts at night. Started last week as a matter of fact LOL. The pictures are great! I'm so familiar with all of the places shown. The battery along the bay are really creepy too. Even in broad daylight they just look haunted.
edit on PM000000300000000662452302014-06-11T19:52:34-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Looking for information on Ft. Monroe for my son, I come across your thread. I wasn't looking for this type, but it was cool to read this, for I too am in Hampton. Born, raised and still here.
I had spent a lot of time out there growing up. Heard all kinds of similar stories....never witnessed myself....but it was the reason why I kept going back, other than it simply being a cool damn place to go and spend time. I can honestly say though....I could feel it. What that 'IT' is, I don't know....but I could. It was only around the moat and inside. I'm not a ghost chasing kinda dude what so ever. But I can say, you don't have to be. Again, cool damn place...real freaky deaky cool.
See ya around neighbor....even if I don't know....I'll still see.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: RoadCourse

Well hi there. I love the old fort and I'm glad they decided to make it a national park and preserve the heritage of the place. It's been there since the revolution and you feel that as soon as you drive over the bridge past mill pond.
I've been going to the beach along the eastern shoreline every day since this heatwave began. The water is perfect right now. Warm enough to not shock but still cool enough to give some relief from the heat and way less crowded than Buckroe. And no jelly fish.
edit on 6242015 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   

If you walk the ramparts overlooking the moat there's supposed to be a ghost of a cat seen up there. Do you know about the pet cemetery along the moat walls? It's sad of course but some markers are kind of funny too. Supposedly there's a horse buried up there too.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Are you near the area where an entire town supposedly disappeared overnight in the 1600's? I think Stephen King actually referenced it in Storm Of The Century.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: maybee

That was Roanoke island. It's not far from here. South along the north Carolina shore. I'm in the most southern region of Virginia right on the border between the two states.
I'd say about an hour's drive maybe an hour and a half.
Chances are good they left because it's hard to find fresh water on those shore islands without going very deep and they just didn't drill wells back then.
That they disappeared overnight is not factual. They were there when their supply ship left to return to England and gone when it came back. Since the trip was around three months each way they disappeared sometime during a six month or so timeframe.
edit on 6252015 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Pretty close to some fighter jets makes me think you're down Langly way. I'm closer to fort Monroe but Langly isn't far at all.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Grew up in the Fox hill area, but bought a house in the Buckroe area 10 years ago this upcoming Oct.
I do remember the pet cemetery. I haven't visited the fort in a handful of years. The last time being the boat races they host every year in July or August and the fireworks display for the 4th.
Absolutely an amazing and powerful place to visit. Even for someone who knows nothing about it historically.
I'm a little ashamed I haven't visited in a while, and will remedy that very soon, for my son has become interested as of late.
I remember countless times as a kid, my buddies would share their parents stories of remains still in the moat. And the figures walking around with lanterns.

Oooh the memories.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join